Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
So is this the unofficial standard thread or is there a healthy amount of modern players as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Cool, glad they followed up on Eternal Masters.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Jace gonna bang that otherworldly horror :heysexy:

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Lone Goat posted:

I'm more annoyed because he brays like a donkey whenever he finally manages to assemble his 17 card combo against some poor hapless fool.

Lmbo

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Hell yeah, at the very least an upgrade to Ghost Quarter

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

80s James Hetfield posted:

No counters, mill, planeswalkers, discard or netdecks

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I'd still play Ad Nauseam

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
MtGGoldfish is a healthy, new font of information & content for the community (even if the crew can be annoying at times)

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Sweet draft tonight, had a grand total of 1 rares in my deck (Blue/Black) but managed to 2-1 & drew for 3rd

Lost to 4 Fan Bearers/2 Sandwurm Convergence which was absolutely insane (was not his first draft!)

e: Pulled a white God from the prize packs and a Shadow of the Grave which I'm thinking might work in Jeskai Ascendancy...

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

little munchkin posted:

*guy who's never been in a fight in his life voice* this guy's face is so bad that I'm going to do kung-fu style punches and kicks on it despite never exercising and either being extremely fat or extremely skinny
                            /

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Only moral quandary I encounter in MtG is when opponents forget triggers & I give them a moment to think before moving on

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I heard the new Pro-Mattes from Ultra Pro were better than KMC now, but I'm not sure I bought the right ones. They still have the little holo mark in the bottom right, although they do feel better than the old ones. While I'm on the subject, is there a particular inner sleeve that works better? Anyone know?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

muon posted:

Did you buy Pro-Matte Eclipse or regular Pro-Mattes? The former is what's getting the good reviews.

Ah thank you!

AlternateNu posted:

Still not as good as matted Dragonshields.

I use those for EDH but prefer KMC thus far for 60-card decks

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
That'd be cool if new Nicol Bolas is as strong as Ugin for EDH purpose (and maybe in Grixis Control)

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Maybe it was a fun Reanimator list

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I'm all in for the Gayewatch

I Heard It Through the Grapeshot :shrug:

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

little munchkin posted:

not disagreeing with your main point about wotc being incompetent, but flooey has been working on his draft viewer for at least a year

lol though at randy just going "cool, can you please add these custom features for free, thx"

Pro management skill right there

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm sure there's a pun about use of magic numbers in here somewhere but I'm like 2 post-work beers too deep to think of one

lol

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
So in magic related business has anyone used Saffi Eriksdotter + Reveillark for a nasty combo? With a sacrifice outlet not only do you get the infinite sac effects like Saffi + Renegade Rallier, but you can also return 1 creature with power 2 or less from your graveyard with each iteration. That means you can bring back Fiend Hunter and sacrifice it with its trigger on the stack to permanently exile a creature each iteration, or perform the same maneuver with Tidehollow Sculler to exile cards from your opponent's hand, bring back & sacrifice Fulminator Mage to destroy all of your opponents lands, or even loop Murderous Redcap for infinite damage.

Reveillark is an incredible beater that supports the backup plan, and has a powerful ability sans combo. Is this too cute for Abzan Company?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Elyv posted:

I think the problem with that idea is that if you want a combo with a 5 drop in your company shell, you could just use spike feeder/archangel of thune and have a 2 piece combo instead of a 3 piece combo.

This was the main comparison
Pros:
Archangel is insane with Finks, Scooze
Gains life & puts counters on everything
Doesn't require sac outlet or graveyard
Cons:
Spiker Feeder is a mediocre piece that can be Company'd

Reveillark however
Pros:
4 power in the air
Powerful recursion without combo
Incredible synergy with hate bears
Combo can lock opponent out of game
Cons:
Requires a sac outlet & graveyard

uninverted posted:

Abzan company can win with three cards and six mana, trying to win with four cards and 10+ mana is not a good plan.

As above, I was comparing its strengths to those of the Archangel of Thune + Spike Feeder combo. They both require 1 piece that cannot be hit by Company but operates strongly within the shell. They are not the best plan as you say, but I like the idea of a combo available even if 2+ pieces of the primary combo are extracted from the deck

I'll get a few reps in with Reveillark in the main vs with Archangel and report back in a few weeks

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Blasting Station was also unsearchable for some time

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I rage quit for the first time just now.

A green elf deck that also had Opposition. He could just keep all my land tapped indefinitely. Saw no point in continuing the game. Guess I'll have to start playing best of 3 and actually using a sideboard.

Now that you've gotten your feet wet what have you been playing/brewing?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
That's how you do it!

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
What about a couple Tidehollow Scullers in the side?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
How does Company fair against Eldrazi Tron & Death's Shadow? They have a combined 20+% of the meta and while Eldrazi seems more like a coin flip with the combo turning on without too many TKS hitting the table, Death's Shadow is full of removal spells you don't want to see.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

ShaneB posted:

There was an esper deck with mentor, 3 copters, and some other fun poo poo that started 9-0 at Kobe. I don't think I can not run it out there tomorrow at my lgs.

hope this works

I dont have baby Jace so I'm just gonna test snaps and hope they work.

4-color Company with 3 Magus of the Moon mainboard :stare:

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Very cool! Thanks, Peav

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Tade

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

ThePeavstenator posted:

Basically if real world data was available for the winrates of deck matchups we could easily calculate what the best deck was period, as well as what the correct metagame choices would be as time went on.

Fat chance, but still a very cool project

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Elyv posted:

I think he means "fat chance that data will become available"

Yeah the work you've done is phenomenal, but WotC doesn't like this sort of thing for obvious reasons. Imo kind of a shame because only those really invested few could afford to use it to its full potential & it may cause waves in the meta.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Gonna take Druid Combo to FNM for the first time tonight! First deck I've double-sleeved, and I've been playing practice games and brewing at home for the past couple weeks. Read about the 2x Devoted Druid + Ezuri combo and I'm excited for such a lean & redundant combo deck! Pure GW to start with after testing Abzan & Naya with Finks & Reliquary as the respective `Plan B`s.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

little munchkin posted:

i pay 420 dollars with 69 packs of prize support per person

:same:

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Eikre posted:

At my store, drafts cost fifty thousand dollars, but prize support includes a base payout of a three-course meal and tickets to Hamilton, and the cards themselves are represented on the battlefield by Medieval Times crewpeople who act out every attack with convincing and thrilling live stage combat. The pyrotechnics alone cost the store half a million dollars a month.

You also get one pack per win.

:yeah:

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

mcmagic posted:

Random cards off the top of the deck deciding who wins games is not fun gameplay WOTC. Stop making that a thing.

Isn't that MtG though? If anything picking one card from the top x cards reduces variance... casting Ulamog for 4 mana & a resource you build around is lame as hell though

e: Okay several people on this page just said the same thing, I agree reprint Brainstorm Preordain

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Cat Combo was backbreaking because it was a combo deck in Blue & Red

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Aetherworks Marvel combo would be much more entertaining to watch & less frustrating to play against if it was the version with Paradox Engine, Whales, and Lizards

Ulamog is just too crazy to cast on any turn

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Ulamog is balanced, dies to REDACTED

myDad fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 4, 2017

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

TheCog posted:

Isn't Ulamog indestructible?

Lol right, I think I'm starting to see what people mean when they say, "WotC needs to print more answers"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Were CoCo and Marvel too good for Standard? Were there too few answers printed for such powerful 4 mana spells?

Curious what will happen when Hour of Devastation drops and there's a 4 mana wrath again