Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

TheKingofSprings posted:

That’s fair, I guess I’m trying to figure out what stops either of those decks from being major Legacy decks when fair decks like D&T and Stoneblade exist and function fine.

I guess the answer is Stoneforge?

Phoenixes is fine for Legacy. It should be a good deck but I don't see how it trumps a field of Show and Tell variants, storm, Miracles, and such. Burn has a decent matchup as well barring consistent turn 1 combo.

Had a guy at a legacy 1k here a couple weeks back do a solid job and get second seed going into top 8 (we split prizes). Even then his matches with burn and OmniTell were far from dunks and were both super loseable.

It's a cool new deck and I hope it sticks. It shouldn't be overwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

One thing I don’t understand is why doesn’t the deck run Intuition as a 5th Buried Alive? It does similar things to Buried Alive but at instant speed and also you can go for the triple Cabal Therapy if you want your opponent to not have a hand provided you’ve got Pyromancer out.

I guess Cabal Therapy, sac a Phoenix to it, get the same Phoenix back is already a powerful enough line anyways.

I think once I’m done with my final project this week I’m going to buy myself a playset of Phoenixes as a reward. Card’s dope and I think there’s going to be opportunities to use it in all kinds of formats.

I'm like 70% sure the dude had an Intuition but I didn't go over his deck list.

And yeah, Therapy with a Phoenix is usually strong enough on its own.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Reprint Mirage fetches into Modern and pretend it's what people want

Hire me, Wizards

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Both things are pretty bad but for me, and I'd wager for a lot of folks, emotional abuse has a pretty specific connotation that goes beyond just cheating on your partner, even in a way that's going to make her feel shittier than a "normal" breakup/divorce. If we're defining emotional abuse down to selfishness and adultery, I don't think it's going to end with the term still being useful for conveying its original meaning.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Are you basing this on anything besides the likely cheating? Emotionally abusive has a pretty specific meaning - using emotional attacks to control/dominate a relationship and the other person in it, like a physically abusive person would use physical violence, and it usually involves gaslighting. I agree that cheating on a pregnant wife is incredibly traumatic, lovely, etc. but I don't think that makes it emotionally abusive in and of itself.

you guys sound like claims adjusters trying to deny coverage

--

My problem with standard is that every time I start to sniff around and find a deck I'd like to play it feels like rotation is just around the corner and I don't want to invest. Then I wander away from the format for months and by the time I come back the cycle repeats

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

kalvanoo posted:

a dual that's hard typed as one or the other land when it comes into play

A cycle of River of Tears lands except with basic land types

I've only read the past page, can't be bothered to catch up

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

You can go cheap on Arena easy peasy. Just be a little patient if you want more than one or two decent decks right out of the gate.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Huxley posted:

The eternal question:

WoTC: "Uh, no."

banding is still banding, as it always has been and always shall be

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

I liked Kamigawa as a draft format.

thanks for reading

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Marketing New Brain posted:

I never understood why they thought this was too powerful for limited given its downsides. Glad it's back.

Well its downsides can be nearly non-existent in a number of limited environments

This isn't a complaint; I love picking Pacifism early

Also protection is a boss mechanic and should never be retired

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

"Protection isn't an absolute travesty of game design" - people who have never played legacy.

hey, I play legacy

I just prefer decks that literally don't care what the other player is doing beyond "do they have a counterspell package?"

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

This depends very much on how many Kaladesh cards they ban

Also Kaladesh/Aether Revolt and Amonkhet/Hour of Devastation drafts were both pretty good, right?

Kaladesh/Aether was fun, can't speak to Amonkhet/Hour

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

A set with a Norse feel alongside fantasy takes on the Sami, Inuit, and Aleut cultures would be pretty cool.

This is what I want, just a melting pot of cold people

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Entropic posted:

I actually kinda miss when demons had downsides.

the downside is that you're losing life to draw cards!!

seriously though powercreep and all that but I like cards that might kill you by design

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Haven't bought a booster for some time. Boxes can have value if you're interested in a large percentage of the rares and a decent percentage of the uncommons, you won't rage when you don't flip the money mythics, and you have a quick way to dump money cards you don't want

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

I just remembered that Lotus Vale sacs untapped lands, as was the custom at the time

Lotus Field seems neat, hope people break it

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Standard here rarely fires on Fridays; it will about half the time on Mondays if there's standard showdown packs left. Otherwise Friday always has Modern and ~75% of the time has Legacy. Most of the Legacy players get their games in on Tuesday then switch to something else on Friday but we can usually scrape together 8. We also have had drafts the past couple weeks with Modern Horizons.

So I'm at a great store, personally

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

I think I've seen two or three pauper matches in the wild in the past six months

That's definitely a format without a lot of traction around here

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

ShadeofBlue posted:

There's a few people who play pauper at my LGS. We usually play it between rounds of modern, but we've been starting to talk about getting an event going on weekends. Pauper has the benefit that it's really easy to build a few decks and lend them out, if there are people interested in the format, but don't have a deck yet.

We had a small group last year who arranged with the shop to have a Pauper night every week. As soon as it was set up no one in the group came back. That's my pauper story

Buffis posted:

Is it?
Its arguably worse than Karns -2

You'd be getting, what, the new Ouphe? Thrashing Brontodon?

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Kurieg posted:

She deleted it because she was wrong.

Taking back a play while in the act of resolving the play arguably goes beyond the scope of the taksies-backsies rule, which as written is stated to cover backing up in the moment of announcement before your opponent has a chance to respond.

The judges who ruled otherwise are simply wrong, and apparently will soon have to pay a fee to continue to be wrong at their leisure.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Brownhat posted:

The number of L2s pretending this doesn't gently caress over L1s is pissing me off.

I'm in a regional FB group for judges and so far there's been one dissenter among dozens of cheerleaders

I guess a lot of these people really just see it as a hobby where they occasionally net foils

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

wait, what

like, the dominaria uncommon?

Really eager to hear the thinking behind that

Maybe they meant Linvala? And the judge thought morph was an activated ability?

E: oh damping matrix

Imagine being a judge and not understanding morph

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

In fairness, the way Morph works is stupid. When Time Spiral was in Standard, so many people got blown out by Willbender changing their Split Second spell targets because the way it works is totally unintuitive

No colon? Not activated!

I get general confusion when it's new or maybe they weren't playing back in Onslaught but from a judging perspective it's actually pretty straightforward

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

^^^
Morph is a static ability, using it is a special action.

Toshimo posted:

Vesuvan Shapeshifter and Decree of Annihilation both have the same number of colons on the card.

Don't be a jackass.

Reminder text for cycling has the colon though

I was trying to be playful, golly!

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Oh wow I always forget Onslaught and Mirrodin were back to back but I guess if I'd been playing closer attention to your story I could've sussed that out

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Calling bullshit on the flavor text, what costs 2 that can do any of those?

Warping Wail? if you stretch it?

uhhh

Lin Sivvi activation, Thornbite Staff activation, Gemstone Array activation

that's all I got

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Orim or Tahngarth would be cool.

Crovax already has three cards, he doesn't need another

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

All members of the old Weatherlight crew have at least one card

Not all Weatherlight saga characters do, though, although I'm not sure where the line is that makes a character worth putting on a card. For example, I don't think Belbe or Takara have cards, but I'm also not sure how many people would react if they were made.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Surprised this wasn't posted yet.

For when the table decides the person to your right really oughta die

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Mass Diminish is giving me some Bride of Frankenstein vibes and I like it

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Arivia posted:

Making Chainer red feels weird to me. His entire novel was about using black mana!

I think it's supposed to be young Chainer, testing his abilities, before he was the Cabal's stalwart. So the red is more character flavor.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

TheMaestroso posted:

Lol, Waste Not as a creature that costs 5 is an interesting choice.

Waste Not triggers off opponents discarding.

Bone Miser triggers off its controller discarding. Seems pretty interesting with the new Chainer and Anje.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Mystic Remora also gets dinged by players who, looking at it, can suddenly only think of the aggro decks and/or value creatures their friends play. "But weakness!" is something casual players cling to like a life preserver.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Froghammer posted:

Is there any particular reason Embodiment of Agonies treats split cards as a single card when determining unique casting costs? I could sworn it would treat them separately, but MTGArena says differently.

Back in Amonkhet they switched how split cards are seen outside of the stack. Now the CMC in other zones is always the combined CMC, period. Like, you can't put Fire//Ice on an Isochron Scepter anymore, for example.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

I think part of the problem is that everyone has their own idea about what commander even is. Each chunk of the audience wants/is fine with different angles and power levels.

This year I had low standards for a new way to durdle and so I just want an Anje and a Grave Miser. And I'm sure in six months or so I'll look back at a few things from this release and wonder why I didn't want one sooner. It happens to me literally every year.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Framboise posted:

I've been playtesting an Anje build someone made that just stacks a bunch of worthless madness spells in for cycling purposes

It can, fairly consistently, get a Worldgorger Dragon Reanimator win on turn 3-4.

Anje is cool.

link por favor

I don't know if that combo is right for my group but I at least want to pick it over for ideas

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Framboise posted:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/anje-filter/

Main wincons are WGD reanimator, draw deck and generate infinite mana, and wipe the table out with one of the X spells and Twinflame/Dualcaster Mage, and you can also set up WGD with Doomsday but tbh I feel that's too slow and risky.

oohhh thank you

it's like the ideas I was having, except magnitudes better

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

jassi007 posted:

Well, I'd like it to be a bit better than a 1/2 and not have to tap to blow up a land. Ideally it would be both a beater and a land nuker. Say a 3/1 or 4/1 that would force them to run some interaction.

I want a Detritivore that suspends for less mana

Interaction is for chumps

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I'm trying to get someone to tell me what made Urza block "good" after the bans, like people were saying.

My favorite Urza block trivia:

What was the theme of Urza block?

If you said artifacts, you're wrong! It's enchantments. The block has 68 artifacts (in the ballpark of Mirage's 70 and Tempest's 62) but 159 enchantments (for reference, Theros has 156)

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

They should reprint Withering Boon and/or stuff like it

"But black kills creatures after they come into play!" blah blah blah blue gets to zap creatures so long as something is left behind, black should be able to counter creatures if they pay some life

e: also reprint Illumination, let white get in on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

I never stepped into the old PTQ/actual tournament structure, never felt like I had good ideas when I was trying to brew, and by the time I was actually a decent player I'd moved on to mostly playing casually.

Like I've top 8'd a legacy 1k, me and a buddy won a 2HG prerelease, I top 16'd another prerelease with ~120 people (can't even remember which set it was though) and that may be it when it comes to non-FNM results.

But I do like tournaments overall. The energy when you're having a good day is great. The drain when you're having a bad day is pretty horrible though. I just mostly stick to prereleases.