Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mandatory lesbian posted:

i can't fathom the stupidity of people complaining about Amonkhet not having Bolas in it when he's the headliner of the next set

Can't blame people for being dissatisfied with yet another iteration of the same bland heroes, when the last block heavily telegraphed Bolas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Siivola posted:

On the one hand, you're not wrong. On the other,

You're assuming everyone saw/remembered that?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

I remember the card. I'm not 100% but it seems like in the story I think her deal is that she goes to Llorwyn and meets those elves and she's like "hm, maybe this is wrong"?

That's Origins retcon, I think.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

They could've had a story arc where she slowly comes to terms and then moves past her racism but instead they just decided she already did that. It was lame and dumb and WotC is lame and dumb for dropping a potentially dope character arc.

It's the appropriate level of respect for the airbrushed cutout action figures they are.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Beyond that, it looks like you want 17-18 lands depending on how much Embalm stuff you have to sink your mana into.

the conventional wisdom, or so i hear, is that cycling lets you play less lands, even in slow formats.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Creature flashback, split card flashback, cycling, big butts, what's not to like?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Siivola posted:

Yeah, I got a taste of this at the Open House event last weekend, when at 2 life I failed to notice that my Victory's Herald gave all attacking creatures flying and lifelink. The person playing with me was kind enough to point that out before I could skip combat. :shobon:

Not uncommon behavior at FNM-level stuff. There will be assholes, but my experience w/ the mtg community is predominantly positive.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

There's only a few commons I wouldn't ever want to put in my deck and the common creatures are strong across the board in interesting ways.

They have delivered on their promise of cutting the chaff since the block structure change. It's a far cry from FRF's miserable second half of the pack.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Siivola posted:

Speaking as kind of a new player, the set also comes off as very approachable. I know I'm going to punt a million times with bad exerts, but things don't make me scratch my head and wonder how I'm supposed to use something.

The self inflicted -1/-1 counters might lead to some tricky, unintuitive situations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ShaneB posted:

I'm surprised to hear this, actually, I think this set has a LOOOOOOT of juggling of mechanics/cards/options.

True. Why cycling is good and powerful isn't hard to explain in a vacuum, but actually knowing when to is something pros disagree over.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

Iconic Masters sounds like a really cool set and I am excited

We barely know anything about it besides the spoiler gimmick.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What's an iconic Sphinx?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

http://magic.wizards.com/en/products/iconic-masters

No set symbol... because it's actually a stylized black lotus??!?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Shivan Dragon would probably be busted at uncommon?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Entropic posted:

We gotta get Merchant Scroll and Serrated Arrows in there, gonna have to bump another set.

Don't forget storm crow. Lol storm crow 😂

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Entropic posted:

Is the excuse for not doing it any more that it's hard enough for new players to recognize all the cards in a limited environment with just one art for each?
Yes, and it's a valid excuse even when considering regular players.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

The funniest part about this is that the "dragon tribal set" had a whopping FOUR dragon creatures in it.

And one of them was a wizard.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Sexual Shiite posted:

What if they're getting around the reserved list by recompiling cards that they had printed way back in the day?

Something like how they put old cards into the first printing of Zendikar?

How many of those remain? How much of that has been given away as supplemental bonuses to employees?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

I love playing with underpowered boring poo poo

Dude.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Iconic masters should just include every card ever printed at the same distribution rate.

I was thinking about two rares slots, so your nostalgia Shivan Dragon doesn't take up the entire value of the pack.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Smashing Link posted:

They are not going to reprint Shivan Dragon ... it has been reprinted too many times and doesn't evoke much nostalgia even for those of us who have been playing since '94.

How does their description of the set not scream Shivan Dragon above all else?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Speaking of dragons

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Siivola posted:

Neat. Archenemy or Hour?

Hour.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Star Man posted:

You do know why a lot of illustrators work digitally, right?

What are you getting at?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Christopher Moeller will be missed (he's retiring from Magic).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLccZ5Cu3w8

His artworks were always standouts (okay, usually) especially in modern sets.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

His art includes as high of points as Zealous Persecution and Isamaru, Hound of Konda, and as low of points as Strength of the Tarjuru and Vampire's Bite, encompassing the best and worst of Magic art.

I'll amend that:His artworks were standouts when they stood out enough for me to notice it was him (which is plenty). Still, he painted a lot of my favorites.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Star Man posted:

With traditional media, you have to document the commissioned artwork. The original size for a lot of Magic artwork is around 11x14, which is too big for most scanners. There are scanners available that can scan images larger than letter size, but that's a method that really only works with artwork done with pen and ink or watercolor. The other way that artwork gets documented is by mounting it on a wall and having a light setup so that even, reflected light is shining on the artwork and you photograph it. There are also mounts you can get for cameras where the camera is facing down and you place artwork underneath it. But you can't photograph artwork in a room where the walls are bright orange because that orange is going to get reflected on the artwork. And you can't photograph artwork with a cheap camera, you need good and expensive equipment if you want print-quality reproduction. It's easier to do copy work now because digital cameras let you see how your photography went and you can adjust it pretty easily on the computer, but imagine seeing your copy work turning out like crap in 1995. You gotta do it all over again.

The other problem with traditional media is that it's more difficult to make adjustments to the artwork if the art director wants changes. It's easier to do that if your work is a painting, but pen and ink and watercolor are not very easy to make adjustments with because once you put something down, you can't undo it. And, there's the issue of space, having to replace materials, and ventilation if your materials require it. If you illustrate with oil paints, you can't just dump your spent turpenoid down the drain in your kitchen because it will gently caress up the drain and the chemicals from the pigments in the paints and vehicles need good ventilation. And it can take up a bit of space at home if where you live is tiny. You gotta store that equipment and artwork somewhere.

A lot of illustrators moved on to digital work because it's an easier workflow. All you need is the software of your choice and a means to input that artwork and a desk. You don't have to photograph artwork and changes requested by the client are easier to implement. You then just send the work to your client in an email or upload it to a server.

That doesn't make digital art the superior way to do art, but for a lot of freelance illustrators, it makes their workflow a lot simpler to just do that. The foundations and principles of design don't magically change just because the work is on a computer instead of a mounted canvas.

Thanks for the write up -- I know most of what you said, but you pointed out some interesting details.

But like CompeAnansi said, the issue isn't the medium it's what's being done with it. Emulating traditional is-- e:oh you misread

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

its me glenda posted:

bring back ron spencer art

I did not like most of his stuff

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Second opportunity from what?

They let her go a year or so ago, and took her back in a few months later.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I find him insufferable and don't think he has anything interesting to say.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jace wasn't played much early on, no?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Huh? Gideon was a 4 of in multiple decks for the entire time it's been in standard. It's been the best card in the format since it was printed.

You could argue Company had that honor at a lot of points.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Reminder that Development has admitted they should've banned Company.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

This set has the same number of removal spells as every large set from the past several years, their set skeleton is pretty tight these days.

In terms of constructed a good but somewhat conditional instant B removal spell (e.g., grasp of darkness, ultimate price) is conspicuously missing. Probably because of the rotation change.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

The Constructed-Worthy Uncommon Black Kill Spell has been showing up in the small sets lately e.g. Grasp of Darkness, Murder, Fatal Push. I'm sure Bolas has one up his sleeve for HOU.

Point is things would be pretty dire if there was nothing between Murder and Push, which would be the case w/o BFZ still around.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Elyv posted:

Went 3-1 at the prerelease. I don't know if anyone cares but you're getting a full tournament report anyway

Rest of pool: https://imgur.com/a/TrrzP

That's a remarkably solid deck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

The game I had MOUTH and 3 lands in my opening hand I realized I couldn't mull, even though the hand wasn't great.

Not quite constructed playable?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Standard:

No changes

Modern:

No changes

Legacy:

Sensei's Divining Top is banned.

Vintage:

Gitaxian Probe is restricted.

Gush is restricted.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/april-24-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-04-24

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Probably not sneaking into Copycat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jabor posted:

I wonder if SCG is regretting putting all their eggs into the Standard basket.

It feels like something like a third of their streamed tournaments are modern nowadays.