Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
This title is bad because I can't imagine a magic player ever getting a clue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

So I was looking around on mtgo league results and I keep noticing knightfall popping up every day. Anyone play this on the regular?? I have noticed I own every piece of this already.

Yes hi

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Some folks at a LGS I know of can't collectively figure out if goyf is same power and toughness in all zones. A lot believe its 0 outside of the battlefield. Everything I am finding online says its the same no matter which zone its in. This is compounded by the fact that both level 1 judges at this location are saying its zero.

Does this have any decent matchup against death shadow?

Less than stellar I would say, it runs a lot of Reflector Mages for that particular matchup in the sideboard. Game 1 we're a removal light deck against a deck that demands removal for the few threats it drops and that's why the board is now so heavily tuned against that deck (Unified Will, Reflector Mage, Meddling Mage all have play against it and have become pretty heavy options in the sideboard, the Meddling Mages and Unified Wills are probably also because of Eldrazi Tron).

Also I'm stoked as gently caress to try Nissa in that deck when she comes out

E: For reference, count the number of sideboard cards in here that at least have some game against Death's Shadow http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=15302&d=293046

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 19, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

Can't wait to go to a magic event where the players are the least-weird adults there.

What about the adults going to the convention with their children

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What cards will be in Byronic masters

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

Do you know what would have brought fetchlands down again. Printing them in a Standard set; please help reduce the cost of our mana bases Wizards.

They can't do that for at least two years

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

Every constructed format sucks, just play draft, the one true format.

I love playing with underpowered boring poo poo

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Isn't the Reserved List basically admitting the secondary market exists and the cards have monetary value, unlike everything else they try to do to dissociate the game with gambling?

You can't really gamble for those cards anymore unless you're an absolutely terrible gambler

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

I don't think you understand what gambling means.

Buying packs for sweet valuable cards is gambling

Playing in card tournaments for money is gambling

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

Out of curiosity, what would be the most significant gains from changing earliest legal set of modern from Mirrodin to Masques (like it was back when people were first hypothesizing about an "overextended" format)

Rishadan Port, Entomb, Unmask are all standout cards to me

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Pernicious Deed would be a big deal, as would vindicate

E: could that terrible RUG draw three for three find a home

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think one of the big winners might be Dust Bowl, actually

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

man i really wanna do a pre-release but last night i was out with friends and they wanna do stuff tonight...the horrors of friendship

Same but the horrors of engineering finals

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

is there even one close to as powerful as JTMS? like i guess lili of the vault is as ubiquitous in legacy, but i don't think she's even made it to vintage like jace did.

Dack Fayden in Vint, Gids is probably as close as we've gotten though in general and it's still a massive gulf

E: Free Dack Fayden, he's the hero Standard and Modern need

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Marketing New Brain posted:

Lol at banning a card in legacy for being too omnipresent that isn't Brainstorm.

Might as well just ban the concept of fun

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Modern and standard would be better with Force

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Without Top there would be no control deck in Legacy

E: Storm and Nic Fit both play it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is there a place to look up awful card binder art?

I won one once that had two anime catgirls in space that was so loving awful I had to give it away, wanted to show a friend what it looked like

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

"We have not seen the movement in the format we had hoped for with the Grand Prix in the latter half of the season, but we still believe we need to gather more data—particularly with an eye toward the effect of Amonkhet on the Pro Tour"

How much more evidence does anyone need that everyone in this process is out of touch?

At this point they only have themselves to blame for whatever happens at the Pro Tour

Also RIP Sensei's Top and Counterbalance

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 24, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Control is dead

All hail midrange

All hail MaRo's vision

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Niton posted:

At this point, I can only assume that the measures put into place after Caw-Blade were meant to ensure they would only weaken decks rather than destroy them, and their process simply won't allow them to kill Standard decks.

Instead they just kill Standard

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Whole lotta bad opinions it today. Top ban was years overdue, and the handwringing in here about standard is just precious. :allears:

In other news they've tried fixing the go to combat shortcut:

https://blogs.magicjudges.org/telliott/2017/04/24/policy-changes-for-amonkhet/

"Standard is still hosed" = handwringing, gotcha

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Who says I wouldn't want it to get better? But all this "standard is hosed" overblown whining is exemplary. It didn't get much better with the last bannings as I recall and to write off an entire new set as irrelevant is, unless you've been testing yourself, also classic for this type of player.

Just a reminder, when they last made standard bans they said "we don't usually do this so just because we did recently don't expect more soon." I could totally see them go another five years without one no matter how much people tiresomely chatter about it.

It didn't get much better because they introduced a loving easy infinite combo after they banned the last big combo piece, how is this hard for you to understand?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Smashing Link posted:

Why did they kill off Block Constructed anyway?

Because it was not a very exciting format at the best of times due to the limited cardpool and it was solved within like a day.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

How do you know standard is bad? You don't even know what the new format is going to look like.

We know the format is going to look like the previous format with one new set stapled on. No sets are leaving, cat combo stays, Gideon stays.

This set has no cards that upend a major dominant deck and I think it actually might've given it some more new tools. New cards will find their way into current decks, at least one new deck will probably get made, that deck is not going to overturn the cat combo.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Manglehorn and the Curse both shut down the Cat Combo and Mardu is just a goodstuff deck...

Both pieces of the cat combo do other things with other cards in the deck so all it does is shut down the combo without accruing advantage. Plus they can just as easily shoot it down and keep right on going.

E: Hell, you can't even play that card while an Oath of Chandra is on the table, they'll happily just flicker it with the Cat and get to comboing.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 24, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

poorlywrittennovel posted:

So honest question here, how does cat combo deal with Authority of the Consuls? Unless I'm missing something, doesn't it just shut their whole combo down?

They either board in Fragmentize in expectation of that or they just shrug and play the value plan with you having gone down a card to prevent dying out of nowhere

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Yes but Manglehorn isn't bad.

Manglehorn is much, much better as tech vs. Mardu Vehicles than it is vs. Saheeli.

If you're not hitting an artifact it's probably not worth playing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MrBling posted:

People building a Miracles legacy deck (or any legacy deck really) doesn't put any money into Wizards pockets since it is all done on the secondary market, so that point doesn't really ring true.

They just put Counterbalance in this set for those players so this is not true

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

LEGACY players do not.

Yes they do, Eternal Masters was very successful and they're looking at rolling out more similar sets. Cards like Leovold find their way into from Conspiracy and generate buzz for those as well.

Legacy players don't buy as many cards but they're also one of the easiest markets to design for, just print something efficient, that skirts a cost somehow or interrupts card drawing and it has a good chance to trickle in.

E: Hell make it blue and you double it's chances

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

jassi007 posted:

I think you might be focusing on the word "any" but there are quite a few people like me who spend very little in dollars that end up in WOTC's pocket vs. a 3rd party vendor. Even accounting prizes, pre-release, a draft or two of a Masters set, a licensed product WOTC probably see's like 5-10% of the total value of my Magic expenditure in the course of a year, as opposed to casual players who are buying product, people who play standard who have a more vested interest in opening product or going to more sanctioned events etc. I'd wager someone who plays standard probably spends 20-40% if not more of their total Magic expenditure per year direct to WOTC. They have to be several times more valuable as a consumer than someone like me who plays modern/cube, 2-5 drafts per set and a pre-release and I crack like 20-50 prize packs of whatever set.

Those card stores still make money which they can then use to purchase product from WotC, and it helps them remain open to purchase more product from WotC.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

The 90% of the Legacy and Modern players "free word of mouth advertisement" is "Standard sucks and it's a money pit, do not play it".

1) That's not everyone who plays those formats

2) It's true

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It's only half true. It is a money pit if you aren't winning a lot of store credit but for the vast majority of the last few years standard has been fun and I've enjoyed playing it.

My store only gives out packs so yes it is a money pit.

And for the people who aren't grinding and winning while grinding it is a money pit and that would be everyone who doesn't make prizes.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

They don't let you trade back packs for store credit?

They didn't when I used to play, no.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Top should always be banned for reasons beyond power level.

Maybe if this game bothered to enforce slow play rules that might not have been a problem

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Humanity was a mistake

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The complete lack of a control deck now might be a bit of a problem for the format.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think hearthstone's recent standard showcases the diversity/interactivity tension, where you had a number of deck archetypes viable but the format still sucked because it was about who could curve out the hardest

Even with Copycat banned that's a lot of what Mardu has been about

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 26, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

20 years from now, if MTG is still around, i will still be reminding people that jace wanted to gently caress a cosmic horror

Hell,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

UberJew posted:

tbf like half of lovecrafts horrors are explicitly or implicitly metaphors for sexuality bc he was v spooked by the very idea

much like jace

Jace looked on at the unknowable horror with despair, but also a clue