Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i can't fathom the stupidity of people complaining about Amonkhet not having Bolas in it when he's the headliner of the next set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Siivola posted:

Besides IRC, goons also have a Discord server and there's an MTG channel. Right now it's mostly just me talking about my inexplicable lust for Basic Lands. I feel lonely. https://discord.gg/Q2b4jJS

i don't lust for anything basic :smug:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

Is this a reference to me in the last thread? I was just observing that he wasn't in the set (because I forgot the Hour mock-up packaging), not complaining.

oh no, it's a reference to maro's blog, it seems like every page has at least one person upset about it

i imagine reddit is similar but i dont check that out like, ever

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

Instead we get static character #5, who has no personality whatsoever. I'm not saying you dedicate a multi part story to it, I'm saying you give her a character arc so you don't have another static boring as gently caress character.

her character arc looks like its gonna be "is a lesbian with chandra, whose bi now i guess"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

Didn't Ashiok briefly succeed and making a nightmare god before another god squashed it?

Story beats that were completely ignored by wizards previously: Mentioning the B/W angel sister on Innistrad and then never referencing that again.

Story beat they will probably also ignore: The 3 missing gods on Amonkhet

the idea of a sequel hook never made sense to ya huh

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

both of these look fine, but even if you think the masterpiece needs to be a 1 for 1 representation of the actual card (which i can understand), i don't understand how you would whine about the aftermath cards not making you go out of your way to read them

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

What about the adults going to the convention with their children

children...enjoying children's entertainment??? like that ever happens

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i can't believe they finally made the 249 Lightning Bolt set

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

It's still probably better than most uncommons though.

the set's gonna prob have terror, it'll be fine

and even if somehow they forget to put in any removal whatsoever shivan dragon isn't going to break the format

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
in a just and good world shivan dragon is a common

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
you know thats a funny post in light of yugioh being almost 20 years old itself

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
what do you mean a giant angel card isn't a good reward for a month of hype

i dont even remember what else was in it, that card took up all my memory, cause it was so big

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

A few random big stores got judge foil demonic tutors and stuff.
Which pissed people off more than if everyone had just gotten the dumb over-sized angels, because it wasn't even random, it was only to stores of a certain rank, so if your LGS wasn't on their list you had 0% chance of your Helvault having something worthwhile in it while those big city jerks got a chance at sweet loot.

what the gently caress, i went to star city games, and still got that stupid angel

i thought scg was the biggest card retailer on the east coast, loving Roanoke isn't good for anything else

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
scg is like the only store giving your dumb game any advertising as far as tourneys go the least you could do is give me something cool

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

lol I just found my over-sized Bruna and I'd forgotten they weren't even foiled.

mine was Avacyn, i dont have it anymore since i threw it away cause it was unplayable (in multiple ways!)

Siivola posted:

I for one am excited for the release of Literally Just Magic 2018: The Return of Lightning Bolt (to Standard).

Now That's What I Call Magic Volume 8

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i want them to use a style guide that allows for stasis to be reprinted with its original art

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the "children's coloring book" aesthetic

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

CompeAnansi posted:

A lot of Amy Weber's stuff (e.g., Celestial Prism) from the first few sets fits in with this aesthetic. That said, she has some good stuff too, like Time Walk and High Tide.

i'm not actually knocking it, i love the stasis art

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Right. The ability triggers on cycling being activated and put on the stack, and is thus put on the stack above it and resolves first. Whatever triggers off of cycling will resolve before cycling's own Draw A Card.

i thought you could order cycle triggers anyway you wanted, like with that green card that gets a land from deck when cycled, you could draw the card before getting the land if you wanted

now why you'd want to i don't know but hey options

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
actually now that scry is evergreen there are reasons to draw the card first if you know you want it. cool only took me way too long to figure that out

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

maro was right, we do ignore reminder text when we think we know what it says lol :sweatdrop:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
You can pay for abilities after actually activating the abilities, so does that mean you can pay for Tinder Wall's ability with Tinder Wall itself?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

You can't sacrifice TInder Wall twice, so that doesn't work.

If that weren't an issue, though -- say, if you wanted to activate Epitaph Golem's ability and needed to sacrifice Epitaph Golem itself to Ashnod's Altar in order to do so -- then I think that would be legal.

Ah yeah, second time not reading the card has got me tripped up today, what the hey

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
man i really wanna do a pre-release but last night i was out with friends and they wanna do stuff tonight...the horrors of friendship

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bigperm posted:

I went to Star City Games for the noon pre-release today. Have to say, the worlds biggest magic store was a bit of a let down. The place and the staff and everything was great but pulling up having never been... I was expecting a much bigger place.

yeah lol, it's basically just a warehouse they put a wall thru the middle of. i think maybe they weren't expecting to be so popular or whatever

did you get the experience of having yugioh players come in halfway through your games and being obnoxious, that was always fun when we played there

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Star Man posted:

My favorite thing at prerelease will always be watching people buy a stack of prerelease kits and open them all and never play in an event. They'll spend $180 for six kits just to crack the packs and go.

i've never seen this before but it makes me sad

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

you went 4-0 so i'm not gonna say it was wrong to play or anything but you probably had a better card then the Luxa River Shrine in your pool

everything else sounds bomb diggity good tho

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

I'm going to say it was 100% wrong to play and congrats on going undefeated with one of the 5 worst cards in the set in your deck.

there is a distinct chance, very slim, before his latest post of course, that he had no better cards in his colors

like i'm talking had 22 of the best W/R cards ever and then everything else was filler in BUG colors

but he did have a better card, he even said so, but at the time, my statement was fine

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
also there's no real point to saying it's "100% wrong to play" cause, hey maybe dude just wanted to see if he could win with a bad card in his deck, some people have fun doing that, it's a pre-release so who cares really

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

born on a buy you posted:

Which card was more powerful for their entire tenure in standard: jtms or Gideon?

jtms had to get emergency-banned. Gideon, if it even gets banned, will be during the normal season

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
is there even one close to as powerful as JTMS? like i guess lili of the vault is as ubiquitous in legacy, but i don't think she's even made it to vintage like jace did.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

JTMS wasn't emergency banned. The only card ever to be emergency banned from Standard was Memory Jar, I believe.

i thought it was off-season, crap i even played standard during that time and can't keep it straight :sweatdrop:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Dack Fayden in Vint, Gids is probably as close as we've gotten though in general and it's still a massive gulf

E: Free Dack Fayden, he's the hero Standard and Modern need

dack has the opposite problem of lili where he never broke out in legacy

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
legacy would be much less fun without brainstorm

lol i guess mcmagic beat me to it, but he's right

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i couldn't read the card (but this time it's cause it's a bit too small, not neccesarily the font) and i assumed it was Kefnet

Force is good, hell great even, but not quite as good a limited card, which I'm sure is made up for by it being worth a hundred billion dollars

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
and before anyone gets snippy, my phone won't enlarge images anymore for some reason so i couldn't blow it up to read the text either

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

That card is actually bonkers in limited. It sounds bad but the extra card draw/mana helped a friend of mine go 4-0 at 2HG today. Cartouches/Trials are the way to go, people who plan on drafting.

I went 3-0-1 with my partner, whose promo was MOUTH so I got to CAST MOUTH. Cracked a foil Nissa in a prize pack, felt good.

oh buddy, that isn't luxa river shrine you're thinking of

oh nevermind scrolled down

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It's much worse than those cards. You're down a card.

if they're not in his pool tho, moot point. altho i agree, FoW really not something you should play in limited

e: well limited amonkhet, like i guess playing it in cube is fine

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jabor posted:

I wonder if SCG is regretting putting all their eggs into the Standard basket.

you'd have to look at the attendance records of legacy vs. standard vs. modern events, which really who wants to do all that

either way being the biggest promoter of MTG tournaments around, they're prob still making some money of it or else why bother doing all that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Strictly casual games with friends/I think collecting WH40K minis is a worthwhile use of my money

Edit: real-life

you just missed the pre-release which is like, aces for casual play