Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
OMG... Can you guys please put your DCI dicks away??

Unless you have loads of beta Duals or an alpha lotus sitting around the date you started playing is irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

I bet you have like 12 numbers on your DCI card. :smuggo:

Yes my DCI is 14k digits long and it affects my ability to get hard...

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

lol look at this 12-digit scrub trying to call people out for a convo that ended 3 pages ago

I can not argue the 3 pages thing...

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Ersatz posted:

Yeah - sealed deck was way more interesting than I expected it to be.

Indeed. My BWu pool built itself, I went 4-1 bouncing the black trial with a bunch of U and W cartouches and tapping things with the "when a zombie etbs tap something" mummy. Only lost to a guy who played Lilliana on curve twise.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Did anyone get Glorius Ended? I did. It was... :)

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Siivola posted:

I for one welcome our new Four-Colour Manglehorn overlords. :toot:

Edit: Oh wai, mono-green Rhonas Stompy with the Edifice, Manglehorn, and the cycling artifact hate just for funsies.

Yep, I am going to assume Mardu can not toe-to-toe with 4C now as using a guardian on a Manglehorn destroys you. Assumption two is that 4C Mirror now depends on who gets a Manglehorn down and untaps first.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

TwistedNails posted:

The best inner sleeve is the side loading one from ultimate guard. I used perfect fit for a long time and a friend bought the side loading sleeves and they make double sleeving so much easier it's amazing.

Yes but now your cards have worse protection. There is a hole in the corner.

I can confirm the new ultra pros are ace and double sleeve great.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Mezzanon posted:

Anybody who pays for scg have the tom Ross mono black list? I just saw the preview video of:

T1 2/1 zombie
T2 scrounger
T3 ballista for zero triple bone picker

I'm at work so can't post it but I did play a dozen games on xmage with it last night. It was pretty bad... I just got stomped by Mardu, GB and RG Glory.. and most other things. It just felt anemic and weak and my few game wins were only ever due to bad luck across the table.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Necronomicon posted:

Are there any decklists from the SCG Open yet?

no, they have not even posted the deck tecs yet. They did just announce the day 2 metagame report so they are likely to start appearing soon.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Smashed a standard event yesterday (prep for an invitational next weekend) with Constrictor.

GB Constrictor: Invitational deck 2017 AMK

Maindeck (60)
4 Walking Ballista
4 Gifted Aetherborn
4 Winding Constrictor
2 Rhonas the Indomitable
3 Rishkar, Peema Renegade
3 Tireless Tracker
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
3 Verdurous Gearhulk
2 Blossoming Defense
4 Fatal Push
4 Grasp of Darkness
1 Skysovereign, Consul Flagship
4 Blooming Marsh
2 Evolving Wilds
6 Forest
4 Hissing Quagmire
9 Swamp

Sideboard (15)
3 Scrapheap Scrounger
2 Gonti, Lord of Luxury
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
1 Liliana, Death's Majesty
1 Ob Nixilis Reignited
2 Scarab Feast
2 Never
2 Lifecrafter's Bestiary
1 Skysovereign, Consul Flagship

The aetherbourns are a consession to Cut // ribbons and worked like a charm essentially negating the aftermath side of the card. I had an 80%+ win rate only dropping games to the mirror (energy version) in very close games and one to the UB control nut draw.

Beat; Humans, Zombies twise (scarab feast :) Mardu Veh, and UB.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Quality article from Brad Nelson http://www.starcitygames.com/article/35053_Dont-Play-Their-Game.html (not engaging in "paywall/decklists to sell cards" etc, etc .. we all know)

Maybe I am slow or this just impressed me as I am working on this exact problem for Saturday, but I thought it was a good article.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

I came 7th this weekend at the Patriot games invitational. Threw a couple of matches due to brain fategue and had a blast.

4 round sealed: built WB agro with Dusk//Dawn and loads of removal. 2-2 after stupidly loosing a match I should have won.

4 round standard: took GB agro. 3-1 lost to UR control and was simply outplayed.

4 round modern : took Boros Burn to 3-1 lost to infect (same guy who beat me in the standard portion)

3 round draft: built the most badassed drake/second sun deck but went 1-2 due to missplays and fategue. This deck should have gone 3-0 to be in contention for a win on breakers.

Awesome weekend, too much magic... need a break now.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Xaerael posted:

The number of people with a fundamental misunderstanding about how the game works seems to be on a major uptick.

I have seen this locally due to our shop being very proactive at increasing numbers attending through running a number of casual weekend and bank holiday events. This has increased the numbers coming to FNM.

It's all good, we all transitioned from whatever casual tabletop/DOTP starting point at one time.... Unless you were 'birthing podded' into life with perfect rules enforcement level skills.

Due to my GB constrictor decklist I am having a lot of the trample/deathtouch/indestructability interaction confusion happening across the table.. :)

DoctorOozy fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 9, 2017

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

So predictions for pro-tour top 8 decks?

I'm going with UR control. If you haven't had the memo yet Kefnet is brutal. Also commit is outstanding at dealing with resolved threat you didn't counter. Many will try jeskai but bouncing a cast out on a gearhulk is sickening.

Something like this.

UR Control:

Maindeck (60)
1 Kefnet the Mindful
4 Torrential Gearhulk
3 Magma Spray
3 Censor
3 Essence Scatter
3 Harnessed Lightning
3 Negate
1 Pull from Tomorrow
3 Disallow
1 Sweltering Suns
3 Void Shatter
2 Commit
4 Glimmer of Genius
4 Aether Hub
9 Island
5 Mountain
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Wandering Fumarole

Sideboard (15)
1 Dragonmaster Outcast
3 Glorybringer
2 Sphinx of the Final Word
2 Dispel
1 Magma Spray
1 Essence Scatter
1 Negate
1 Sweltering Suns
1 Aether Meltdown
2 As Foretold

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Yep, the eclipses are great. I bought 2 packs after the TCC video and they're great and double sleeve as easily as KMC. You can also find them online for $6 per 80-count pack, so there's no reason to get KMC hyper mattes anymore since their quality dropped.

Their longevity is poor though.. they are a magnet for grime and sweaty pizza hand dirt. I love the feel at the start but they turn to clouded sand paper pretty quick. I'm sticking with dragon shield matt for now.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Cactrot posted:

Where is a good spot to get German cards shipped to the US? I kinda need a playset of Harscher Mentors.

Oohhh now I want them to file beside my Athreos, Gott der Überfahrt

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Dehtraen posted:

UR has no way to deal with a resolved Ulamog, it's a good answer for bouncing a nonland permanent and then countering it when recast, or a pseudo counter for a spell that can't be countered (less relevant)

I am running 2 main board, it is an awesome backup counter/removal. The tempo loss your opponent experiences is great... Don't forget to use it in response to an evolving wilds crack too.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

DangerDongs posted:

Any one trying out Kefnet in Standard as a 1 of? Seems good in the mirror and horrible against aggro, but I'm usually wrong about these things.

It is excellent in the mirror and dogshit vs agro. You are correct.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

DangerDongs posted:

I'm looking at the Temur Tower list that are popping up, and they run 2 Pull From Tomorrow. I'm wondering if a split between Kefnet and that would be any good.

I don't run Temur I am straight UR. Tower is too slow now and pinging a recurring zombie once a turn isn't winning anything for you. When you are off tower it's pointless running green.

I only have one Pull due to the tension with Gearhulk, if the game goes super long I'm gonna shuffle it back in using Memory on their end step anyway.

I could see a Temur control deck with a transformative SB into the Temur agro deck working... or God forbid.. an aether works deck.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

DangerDongs posted:

How are you dealing with some of these G/B decks siding in 4 transgress and 2 Dispossess? Do you side out some or all of your hulks?

Edit: And I think the green is working well for them, because the creatures they side in are mostly under 3 mana so they dodge all the hate that gets sided in for them.

Transgress is what it is you just have to draw cards through it. For dispossess I am diversifying threats by adding in 2x glorybringer and 2x big chandra.

I don't usually take out any gearhulks if I can get away with it but I have no issue with shaving one if for some reason I feel it's better than takeing out something else. Dispossessed is counterable so I don't often get all my gearhulks taken unless I mess up.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

DangerDongs posted:

Standard Blue-Red players:

To go the 24/25 land with Hieroglyphic build or 26 lands with anticipate?
I am also debating on a third Sweltering Sun vs either Commit / Memory or summary dismissal.

I don't know why anyone would try to play this deck with less than 26 lands. You also don't need anticipate if you are running a few censors.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Mezzanon posted:

Top 4'd a PreTQ today and it's r/u emerge.

Meta looked like 65% Marvel, but the top 8 was:

2x marvel
1x g/b constrictor
1x u/w flash
1x r/u control
3x r/u emerge.

Emerge also took down the whole tournament. A+ highly recommend standard right now!

I also top 4'd a pptq (yesterday).

I think the top 8 was.
Jund God's
Mardu vehicles
Bant vehicles
The cycling combo thing
Aether works x2
UR control (me)
GB energy

Agreed, standard is fun.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

vandalism posted:

How do you like UR control? I just picked up most of the cards for it, but haven't been able to test. Waiting on 2 gearhulks.

I'm loving it.. real draw/pass control. Just make sure you have diverse threats in the sb as people are crazy for dispossess at the moment and beating someone to death with a Fumarole is a bit time consuming, better to use Glorybringer or big chandra.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

I thought I was missing something with the Jund DS deck as I couldn't understand why people were playing it over the Grixis version.

Seems people have caught up now. It should make the Birmingham GP interesting in August as it is deceptively hard to play and easy to beat if your opponent does not known how to play it. I guess I'll be taking burn :)

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Keep feeding me marvel matches. I can not remember the last time I lost a competative match to it.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Subways Jared posted:

On a seperate note- Should I be leaving after losing my first match in a 4 round standard FNM? If I lose my first match, I usually split because I thought only the top 4 get prizes, and someone who goes L-W-W-W, 3-1 isn't going to get any prize packs.

Why drop? Did you not go to play Magic? Or did you only go to cash out with a stack of sweet packs?

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/magicprotour/status/871365307851567104

Only 1 Marvel deck in the top 8. Will the complaining stop?

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

To bring it back to Ban Marvel Chat, the Top 32 of GP Amsterdam was posted.

62.5% of the 9 through 32nd place decks were Aetherworks Marvel (15 of 24). Overall 50% considering the whole Top 32. I doubt WOTC will call attention to anything but the Top 8.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpams17/9th-32nd-decklists-2017-06-04

Yea I saw this after posting the top 8 tweet and being somewhat dismissive. I would like to know what the conversion rate was, i.e. was there so many because so many ppl played it?

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

ShaneB posted:

xmage users:
1) what server should I use?
2) how do I add a stop on the fly, like I do on MODO when I want to cast something in opponents upkeep/draw or something and don't have a full-time stop set?

German server? xmage.de is pretty busy.

I'm not sure about on the fly stops. I have next end step/main phase and upkeep set to go to the next one not MY next one in preferences. That works fine. F3 cancels whichever you have selected if you change your mind.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

ShaneB posted:

Doesn't Marshall hang out in the 1900 club range pretty regularly?

Yea. The guy is a limited God.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Alris posted:

How does NuConsipracy compare to Conspiracy Classic? I'm considering grabbing one or the other purely to draft with friends.

It's fine. I do prefer the first as the draft matter cards were more fun and some of the bombs very "draft around" and games felt very swingy

Conspiracy 2s focus was on the cards that added abilities to named cards. So if you grab a load of those you power up your poo poo creatures. It is easy to draft this terribly first time and have a crap deck but it is still fun.

C1 > C2 IMO but I won't fight about it. they are both good enough and relatively cheap for a fun evening of 8 man magic.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Yea fine I guess...

If all you are gonna use Commander for is jank reprint..

Same old slightly interesting disapoint.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

I did 2H giant for the first time, thought it would suck.

I cast Torment of Hailfire for x=5+ in each game, it was awesome.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Wurzag posted:

Modern is probably better off for the comparative lack of wotc interference. If they paid it as much attention as they did standard they'd no doubt manage to gently caress it up.

So true... never has Wizards withdrawing support been so good.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Gustav posted:

Did you ask him if he was there for the promo..?

Dirty spiker.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Ok this RG ramp deck...

Its done nothing yet but I cant beat it and it has a rapidly increasing player base on xmage. GAM podcast talked about it last week and after loosing to if a few times this may be the real deal.

Anyone have a list and/or experience with it?

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Hellsau posted:

I made so many tickets with that deck...
I literally spent the last of the playpoints I made from that deck going infinite last week.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

I just got given a lesson by this standard deck online.

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/abzan-ghalta-vehicles/

Anyone played it and have feedback?

EDIT: Sorry context, I was playing Grixis Control

DoctorOozy fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 1, 2018

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

always be closing posted:

Before I buy another one does anyone have other suggestions? I think I prefer the shoulder strap over a backpack. Also a less floppy bag would be nice.

I use a Timbuk2 Classic Messenger bag. It can take 2 Ultimate Guard Archives, a binder, mat and everything else I need. Or at GPs a deck box and 10 hours worth of food.

I would have never paid as much for a bag but it was a gift. If it ever breaks now (unlikely it's very well made) I'll immediately buy another.

It's also not floppy ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

mcmagic posted:

There ARE no good KMCs.

Yea I haven't seen a good one in ages. Have exclusively bought Dragon Shield Matte since they went to poo poo.
I do still have a cube sleeved in the indestructable KMCs so they did exist at one point.