Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
As said before, how good embalm ends up being will determine how playable a card like Sacred Cat is. Being a 2-for-1 minimum has potential to be acceptable on its face, especially if it manages to deal damage and/or gain you some life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

It's more that the amount of investment on your part to play it or get it back from the grave is minimal. No one's arguing that the weakest embalm card in the set is good, just that it's playable because of embalm (and lifelink).

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

joats posted:

So I am having a hard time understanding Angel of Sanctions rulings.

Angel of Sanctions
3WW
Creature — Angel
3/4
Flying
When Angel of Sanctions enters the battlefield, you may Exile target nonland permanent an opponent controls until Angel of Sanctions leaves the battlefield.
Embalm 5W (5W, Exile this card from your graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a white Zombie Angel with no mana cost. Embalm only as a sorcery.)

If Angel of Sanctions leaves the battlefield before its triggered ability resolves, the target permanent won't be Exiled.

This is different from every other O-ring effect, but the text on the card is not. Is this ruling bullshit?

This card, like with cards such as Banisher Priest, uses a fixed version of the effect that doesn't allow shenanigans that you can do with O-Ring or, say, Fiend Hunter. The difference is that the old templating had the effect separated into two clauses whereas the new one has the whole effect contained in the same clause.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Reference:

Judge Ruling 2007-09-30 posted:

If Oblivion Ring leaves the battlefield before its first ability has resolved, its second ability will trigger and do nothing. Then its first ability will resolve and exile the targeted nonland permanent forever.

Judge Ruling 2014-04-25 posted:

If Banishing Light leaves the battlefield before its enters-the-battlefield ability resolves, the target nonland permanent won’t be exiled.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I thought they only put stuff up on Wednesdays after maintenance?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

So, I've discovered Edifice of Authority is super good in a deck that's not constantly attacking. That's my pre-release report, thank you for listening.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

ThePeavstenator posted:

I think that as the format goes on it's going to be a card that keeps going up in pick order. The fact that it's colorless means that pretty much any deck that isn't super aggressive will be happy to play one.

Totally. I was thinking that I'd pick it pretty highly already, maybe as high as third or fourth. It could be a real all-star.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Just drafted my first AKH deck, and I'm reasonably happy with the fact I got two Faith of the Devoted plus nine minimum cycling cards.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

TwistedNails posted:

The best inner sleeve is the side loading one from ultimate guard. I used perfect fit for a long time and a friend bought the side loading sleeves and they make double sleeving so much easier it's amazing.

I got a pack of these, and they work great...as long as the cards are the right size. Conspiracy 2 fits fine, but the EDM, OGW, MM3, and AKH cards I tried are slightly too big. :shrug:

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

My cards don't see regular play, so whatever issue you have is irrelevant.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Bart Fargo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ov8Q-ZaD5c&t=331s

I don't know how worried you are about water damage, etc. but the side-loaders aren't that great at protection. This covers both Ultra Pro and Ultimate Guard.

Thanks for posting this!

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

So, this morning I learned that BW Zombies is one of the most oppressive limited decks in this format, because I wrecked face with it. Had two Lords of the Accursed, a ton of zombies, flash O-ring, etc.

Then I drafted again, opened Glorybringer P1P1, and went all in on aggro. Succeeded in putting together a very aggressive WR deck with him, Oketra, and her attendant as the top end. Could've been even better, but hey - I took what I could.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

i guess what i mean isn't so much "what should i draft", i meant more "what should I look out for"

tho yeah you're right, that's just as open-ended haha, so yeah nevermind

I'd say this set requires even more than usual to be very aware of what colors are open, because you want to make your two-color deck as consistent (and synergistic, in many cases) as possible. If you're BW, you want to prioritize zombies, anything that makes zombies so that means embalm cards (cycling is secondary). In RW, prioritize low curve/high power and removal - exert is very good here. In BG, get all the things that care about -1/-1 counters. In BR, get the removal and combat tricks (and a good amount of creatures, of course). In WU, get fliers and removal - embalm and exert are good to utilize here. In UB you want to be taking advantage of cycling payloads and generally being more midrange-y/controlling, so 2-for-1s and big butts are a must. UG likes to be tempo-based and rampy, so mana dudes, big dudes, and stuff that counters, bounces, or taps down are good. RG wants to beat face with big, hasty, trampley creatures supported by removal and combat tricks. WG cares about going wide, so anything that makes tokens, embalms, or pumps your team is choice - plenty of untap effects and exert creatures, so look out for those interactions as well. UR is the spells-matter deck, and cycling is a sub-theme - you want efficient removal, synergies, and finishers.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

little munchkin posted:

He freely admits that he made that list without ever actually drafting the set, lol. Unless you are really new to drafting, it is legitamitely not helpful. At least read the LSV reviews where he explains the cards a little bit. Karsten's article is just images of the cards in a mostly arbitrary order.

He doesn't claim that the imaged cards are listed in order at all, just that those groups of cards fit in the categories he made. And after drafting several times over the past week I can say that the top categories are pretty spot on (at least in regard to the cards I've played with/against). There's obviously going to be some disconnect because very few people will be able to see every card played in their time with the format, especially in an actually good shell.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

odiv posted:

Not if you try to put a cartouche on it!

The cool thing is that there are so few ways to get screwed by the half-illusion clause. Either the opponent spends a card on it, or you personally mess up and target it yourself. That's pretty solid for a two-mana 2/3 at uncommon.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

That is a pro click if I ever saw one.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Alright, let's see where this bomb first pick takes me.

E:

I'm feeling pretty good about this, guys.

EE:

I'm actually curious if anyone has an opinion on whether or not I should play Spring//Mind. It was the last card I cut from 28+ cards I started with when I started deck-building.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 28, 2017

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

The Lord of Hats posted:

Basically ask yourself if you'd play Spring, ignoring Mind. Mind is upside that makes it a better card, but not by so much that it should really weigh into your evaluation.

This is essentially why I cut it, but I was curious having not played with it or UG yet. Thanks, guys.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Hellsau posted:

A few things about this draft deck -

1) Is Oashra Cultivator playable? It seems so durdly and an absolutely horrible topdeck lategame, and it cannot possibly be better than the Essence Scatter in your sideboard. You also have Tah-Crop Skirmisher if you need low drops.

Oh, it's not good by itself, no, but it's pretty useful with my many counter-placing guys. I'm able to keep them big while also being able to use its ability or chump if necessary. If I didn't have those guys I'd take it out.

quote:

2) Irrigated Farmland is better than an Island.

Noted!

quote:

3) River Serpent seems better than Colossapede. The versatility of being able to cycle it for one mana is worth the extra mana on the actual cost.

I was considering this. Wasn't sure about it.

quote:

4) Aven Initiate is very good if you can afford another four drop. It's a 3 power flier for 4 that embalms, that's a good deal.

I know it's good, but I need to assess the slot to see if there's space.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

TheMaestroso posted:

Alright, let's see where this bomb first pick takes me.

E:

I'm feeling pretty good about this, guys.

EE:

I'm actually curious if anyone has an opinion on whether or not I should play Spring//Mind. It was the last card I cut from 28+ cards I started with when I started deck-building.

Ended up winning the draft! No Nissa ult, though :(

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

odiv posted:

Just went 2-1 with UB cycling with Open into Wonder and Angler Drake as top end, won my last match on time and I feel so scummy. Opponent had me down to 1 life, passes the turn with 7 seconds left. I play a creature, pass it back. He has way more than enough to kill me. I right click, hover over concede and then win.

I mean, two packs is two packs.

The only time I drew Ruthless Sniper I had it and Seeker of Insight together on board for like 5 friggin' turns drawing nothing but lands. Never got to activate it once. It was very tilting.

In my last draft I played against what looked like a sweet UB cycling deck like that, except with Drake Haven. They had Sniper out turn one and Haven on three, and proceeded to get absurd levels of value. It wasn't absurd to deal with, but they edged me out that game. I ended up out-pacing them in game 2 and running them over in game 3 when they didn't draw their lands fast enough.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

a land seems better then pyramid tbh

Yeah, I was gonna say at least do this - that's nuts. The pyramid's doing nothing in an aggressive deck with five-drops for the top end.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I'm doing it guys, I'm really doing it!

E:

I did ittttt

Take a guess at the last card in my library :allears:

EE:

Won the second match with Approach, too. This card is too much fun.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 1, 2017

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Subways Jared posted:

Can anyone tell me what set the opponents foil swamps are from in this first game? The foil swamps with the Japanese text on the gravestones. What set were those swamps from?

https://youtu.be/2LGv96HG8IA?t=31

Judging by the set symbol, it's possible they're online-only promos

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I managed to go off with Hapatra and Archfiend of Ifnir against a board full of creatures, and it was glorious.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Siivola posted:

Going off with Hapatra feels so good. I managed this turn three play last Friday, after a mull to five: "Okay, untap, draw. Attack with Hapatra? Since there's no other creatures on board she takes the -1/-1 on herself, creates a snake. Swamp, cast Plague Belcher, takes the counters, another snake. Go."

Then I lost because my opponent found his wrath. Oh well.

Few things are as fun as going from facing down a Rhonas with five other creatures to turning your 0/2'd Archfiend into a counter cannon by playing Hapatra, cycling to shrink their board and get six snakes...and then drawing another cycler to do it again.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Drunk-drafted this deck last night after P1P1 Gideon and felt preeeeetty good about it. I'm currently 2-0; 4-0 in games.

E: 3-0'd with one game loss. Deck was super fun to play. The one game I lost I flooded out with just one color for a little too long.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 18, 2017

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

What is this nonsense

I guess no one wanted to be in green

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Mezzanon posted:

I get that. My opponent opened with T1 flagstones, T2 float mana, second flagstones, crucible of worlds.

suicidesteve posted:

Uhhhhhh they probably couldn't have done that.

Yeah, the only way I see that working is with getting Amulet of Vigor out on T1. And I'm guessing that isn't played in the deck in question.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Reference for ruling.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Froghammer posted:

Has this week's Idea Channel episode been posted yet? Everybody watch this

I approve of the contraptions joke

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Tales of Woe posted:

i feel like it ought to be something a bit grander than this if a 1/1 double strike is a rare - the 1/1 double strike bestow was an uncommon and graveyard bestow is arguably harder to make use of. it would be one of the weakest game day promos in memory if it was just that.

edit: Anthem effects are too strong if it's going to be on a bunch of lower rarity cards though - i think a one-time team pump is the only scavenge/bestow style effect that puts this at rare but allows for commons/uncommons to exist.

I doubt it's a one-time anything considering the name is "eternalize," but I guess anything's possible.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

gif Probst posted:

maybe not an emblem, but maybe something like, create an artifact token. it has indestructible and (creature stats+abilities). kind of a nod to the monuments to the gods and past artifacts that were similar, like the Akroma and Eldrazi monuments. would also make sense flavorwise.

This makes a ton of sense - I think you called it.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

https://twitter.com/OuterSiberia/status/875561648559239168

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Veyrall posted:

Also, it pains me to see Wizards make cards that wouldn't even pass the muster of our own design contests.

Examples?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Veyrall posted:

Imagine one of us submitted Bishop of Rebirth in, say, a color-shifted tribal contest. It's a mono-white vampire that sun titans back a cmc3 or less creature from the GY. Being mono-white doesn't fit the flavor for vamps, the sun titan ability has literally gently caress-all to do with anything vampires have ever done ever, and it has vigilance instead of lifelink OR flying. Nothing outside of the type line makes it feel vampiric in the slightest. Now, I get that this is the nu-Sliver problem all over again, and it probably won't be any problem to 99% of players, but it annoys me.

It's almost like vampires on this plane are different from everywhere else, like it's unique to this plane. Or something.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

uPen posted:

That's the name we're going with, really?

The implication is that they're creations of Bolas, and therefore don't have identities like the previous gods did.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I'm enjoying the flavor of all these old spells being cast by Bolas, because he's been around a hell of a long time.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

C-Euro posted:

E: I always assumed Doomsday was on the Reserve List.

Doomsday was printed in Weatherlight originally, and reprinted in Sixth Edition.

The First List posted:

-All cards from Alpha / Beta that had not appeared in Fourth Edition or Ice Age.
-All uncommon and rare cards from Arabian Nights and Antiquities that had not been reprinted in white border at that time (i.e., that did not appear in Revised, Fourth Edition or Chronicles).
-All rare cards from Legends and The Dark that had not yet been reprinted in white border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Plus this:

Play any instant or sorcery.