Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

You're allowed to play cards that have been reprinted in the current standard block if you have the old versions, right? I did a draft for dominaria recently and came away with a tefiri planeswalker, a tatyova benthing druid, lich's mastery, precognition field etc. Was thinking of building a white/green deck with a dash of blue to use the planeswalker and druid thing since this is what won the draft for me by filling out the deck with whatever trash cards I have in this box of cards I haven't looked at for 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

MrBling posted:

Yeah, any printing is legal as long as the card is in a standard legal set.

Any ways I can cheaply improve this? I've bashed it together with my draft cards and a few cards I've had kicking around. I don't know if evolving wilds are any good? I'm not sure it's worth having blue in, but the planeswalker and tatyova cards were really useful.

4 Llanowar Elves
3 Borderland Ranger
2 Grow From the ashes
2 Untamed Kavu
1 Abundant Growth
1 sporecrown thallis
2 yavimaya sapherd
2 Healing Grace
2 Gideon's Reproach
4 Pacifism
1 Danitha Capashen
1 On Serra's Wings
2 Fog Bank
1 Precognition Field
4 Divination
1 Shanna, Sisay's Legacy
1 Teferi, hero of dominaria
1 Tatyova, benthic druid
1 Unexpected Results
1 Simic Guildgate
1 Gilded Lotus
11 forest
8 Plains
3 Islands

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Entropic posted:

You have a bunch of cards in there that aren’t standard legal.

Standard is currently any cards that were printed in the sets Kaladesh, Aether Revolt, Amonkhet, Hour of Devastation, Ixalan, Rivals of Ixalan or Dominaria. You can use any card from those sets or any printing of a card that appears in one of those sets. E.g. you can use your Magic 2012 version of Llanowar Elves or you Battle For Zendikar printing of Gideon’s Reproach, but you can’t use borderland Ranger since it wasn’t printed in any of the above-mentioned sets.

They’ve seemingly gone out of their way to make standard legality more confusing lately — there’s supplementary products like the Explorers of Ixalan boxed game thing which sound like they’re legal ( Ixalan was just the last block! ) but are not, and they had the Planeswalker promo decks which include cards that only appear in those decks but that they’ve made a special exception for by saying those cards are technically part of whatever set the decks came out alongside.

When in doubt, look up a card at gatherer.wizards.com and check the “sets and legality” tab.

There’s also a few cards currently banned in standard. Smuggler’s Copter, Aetherworks Marvel, Ramunap Ruins, Felidar Guardian, Rampaging Ferocidon, Attune With Aether and Rogue Refiner.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have a look at what I have that's actually legal. With things getting reprinted from older sets I'll have a look if I have enough cards that are legal and vaguely coherent enough to make a deck. My local place does rares in after a draft and winner gets first pick, is that not the usual way of doing it? I've only done the one draft (why I have so few standard cards) and it was 9 euros. Killed a couple hours, got to play magic for the first time in years and tried drafting for the first time ever. Got the teferi guy out of it too!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

DangerDongs posted:

15 years ago I only really knew Redrafting and thought other stores doing it the normal way was kind of dumb, because people would just rare-pick. It also means that 1st place is pretty much guaranteed to be walking away with a good card.
I still kind of hold this sentiment, but the headache of doing redraft with people who you aren't familiar is a headache. Back then magic communities were much tighter so there were never any problems.

I knew none of these guys, and one of them took it super seriously. Got pissed when I beat him and left because he wouldn't get first pick for the expensive card. Other people were pretty chill though, I don't think any of us really knew what the cards were worth except the planeswalker so it was a relaxed redraft at the end.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yawgmoth posted:

I have been to tons of stores in my 20 years of playing and not once has this ever been the case with drafting with real prizes. People pick the good cards, it just so happens that rares are usually worth drafting above Fire Elemental. Rare redrafting is only desired by people who want to use draft as a way to trick new/less skilled players to open packs for them.

I'm not really a fan of radrafting. I opened the teferi and passed on it twice before I took it (4 player draft) because I was looking green white, then squeezed it in. Taking one card of 14 or whatever in the pack at the start of each round shouldn't tank your deck.

Then again, I've only drafted once and play a couple times every few years.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Is there a twitch/YouTube link to the beta matches? Would love to see old school decks. I had a few CoP when I used to play but never played white :(

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What's are limited/constructed? I've gotten as far as:
Standard is current blocks that cycle out etc.
Modern is things back to like 7e, but i think it moves forward
Legacy is $$$
Vintage is $$$$$
EDH is commander is 100 cards in standard/modern? no repeats

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Is a green/white/blue deck worth trying for standard? I've bodged a deck together with cards I have kicking around and would need to drop some euros to fill out the deck. Not something that I expect to win, but to mess around with standard at FNM or whatever. Looking to make something kind of fun to play with.

I think it focuses on fixing land situations a bit too much because I want to use the planeswalker, but I don't have a lot of blue. Should I drop the blue out and look for some meatier green creatures? Is this even the thread to be asking for deck help or is there a different thread I should go to?
4 llanowar elves
3 untamed kavu (currently have 2)
3 Baloth Gorger (currently have 2)
3 grow from the ashes
2 Danitha Capashen (currently have 1)
4 Healing Grace (currently have 2)
4 Gideon's reproach (currently have 2)
3 on serra's wings (currently have 1)
2 opt or divination? (have a few of both)
Other
2 Shanna, Sisay's Legacy (need 1)
2 Helm of the Host (need 1)
1 Teferi, Hero
2 tatyova benthic druid (need 1)
2 navigator compass (need 1)
1 gilded lotus

8 forest
9 plains
3 island
2 evolving wilds

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Elyv posted:

Your deck is pretty unfocused. You have some ramp stuff, but nothing really to ramp into(Territorial Allosaurus is a clear budget upgrade to Gorger, I think), and then you also have the Danitha/Wings combo and some Shannas without anything that makes a ton of creatures. Auras tend to be weak in constructed because what tends to happen is your creature gets killed and you lost two cards(both the creature and the aura), the large amount of mana you've invested, but your opponent has only lost one. As a result, I would cut Danitha/Wings/Shanna/Helm. In addition, Healing Grace and Navigator's Compass are just very weak cards that you don't even want in a draft deck, so I'd cut those as well. At that point, you have very little white left(only the quite marginal Reproaches and Teferi), so I would consider just dropping the white altogether for mana stability. I'd replace all of that with more ramp and things to ramp into. Elfhame Druid jumps out as a reasonable and cheap inclusion in a deck that is so heavy on kicker cards. Look for other monetarily cheap things to ramp into and ramp effects, and you should have a playable deck. You may still find yourself losing a lot, especially if your FNM is more cutthroat, but I think it's an improvement.

Thanks for the tips, I'm guessing dropping blue also comes into it and I should aim mono-green? Focus on trying to ramp some big trample guys? Green blue could be fun, but I don't have much in the way of creatures and I'm not sure if opt/divination/tatyova/precognition field would be worth it. Sideboard some spells maybe? Or just not sideboard.
With this list I think I can get the pieces I don't have for 10-15 euros depending on what my local shop has. I can always try and build a deck around the planeswalker another time (or just sell the drat card)

4 llanowar elves
4 untamed kavu
3 territorial allosaurus
2 grow from the ashes
4 elfhame druid
4 primordial wurm
4 gift of growth
3 colosasl deadmaw
4 nature's way
2 song of freyalise
4 krosnan druid

22 forest

edit: I have no idea of the meta for standard and the first time I looked at dominaria cards was the draft.

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 18, 2018

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Elyv posted:

The biggest problem with this deck is there a bunch of huge dorks that don't really do anything and just die to removal. I like having a second color, with 4 Grow you should be able to add it fairly easily and it can give you more options for cheap removal and ramp targets. Something like Josu Vess or Slinn Voda might work as top end in a second color, and if you're blue could give you some search/draw, or in black some removal. Carnage Tyrant would be a great add but it probably still costs over $10. I'm not sure, offhand, what a budget ramp deck would want as resilient or card advantage generating threats.
I had a look at carnage tyrant, it's like 15 euros. Slinn voda I looked at when thinking of blue, a few would be good considering I'd hope to ramp fairly quickly. opt and divination to go with tatyova for life gain and card draw. Maybe coldwater snapper for hexproof or unsummon for removal? Swings me back into wanting some grow from the ashes or evolving wilds to make sure I land variety.

Was thinking of playing fnm or the store championship this weekend since both are 3 euros so it'd be nice to have a mediocre but fun standard deck.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What's the corpse counter going to do?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Bring back squirrel decks. Squirrel mob + Druid's call forever.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Are card sleeves obligatory? I think I have 4, so might need to get some and a new box for fnm/tournament this weekend if they are. Also need to actually.make a deck, so I guess that might be more pressing

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

AnEdgelord posted:

Im not sure if they are officially required but they are recommended. Last thing you need is your cards becoming marked in the middle of the tournament.

Ah that's a good point. Have a few super crusty old lands and I guess when they come too deck it might cause some questions to be asked.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Creatures have gotten super complicated.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

This is what I'm planning for FNM, depending on what my local store has in stock so I may end up cobbling some other pieces into it while trying to not break the bank. Idea is to ramp up some creatures while keeping my life up with tatyova where possible. Will probably sideboard some krosnan druids to kick lifegain if I end up needing it.

4 llanowar elves
4 untamed kavu
2 territorial allosaurus
2 grow from the ashes
4 elfhame druid
4 gift of growth
2 colosasl deaadmaw
4 nature's way
2 tatyova
2 slinn voda
4 academy drake
2 sandwurm convergence

12 forest
8 island
4 evolving wilds

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Tainen posted:

The final elder dragon is a Wall Commander !?

That's amazing.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Wall of ice is good again. And glacial wall. and wall of frost. and The wall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUJzj4DXHYE

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

It's less cool if all walls get to do it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Is kaladesh the vehicle block? I wasn't a fan of the energy counter (aether revolt?) and vehicle sets.

Also finished 5th of 8 in store championship (small store) thanks to the thread's help in monogreen. Thanks guys. Will build a tatyova deck another time. I think it has decent fnm fun potential

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

little munchkin posted:

a ghost-quartered valakut or tron land, a conflagrate

Counter a second sun so it goes to graveyard then surgical extraction it?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

U/W second sun control is also an absolute bore to play against.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

resistentialism posted:

Can you blast a newly played creature with an instant after it's a permanent but before it can crew a vehicle, or is there no priority there because crewing is a cost?

Or I guess they can use it to crew in response to you blasting it anyways.

Once the spell resolves and the creature hits the field priority would go back to the player whose turn it is, the tapping to pay for the ability would happen faster-than-instant and so would count for crewing.

I think. I've never paid too much attention to the stack and am trying to learn it now. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Does that mean split second is the second fastest thing, so nothing can stack on top of it besides tapping for mana?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Depends how it was delivered. If the guy was joking then yeah, take it in stride and proudly use that poo poo. If the guy rocked up to the store and said "here you go you loving loser" then call the guy a oval office. Then use that poo poo because it's hilarious.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Is green /blue and white/red not popular combinations? I can only think of the weird bioshift +1/+1 counter deck in G/U, and can't really think of any in red/white. I don't play much, but they seem rare?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Jedi425 posted:

I tried a low to the ground Path of Mettle R/W aggro deck in Ixalan standard (pretty sure I stole the idea from some random TCGPlayer article after I ended up with two Paths post-draft), but I had trouble getting too far with it even before the Great Whirling. After Kaladesh and Amonkhet rotate out, I might see if I can make something of it again, but I'm super bad at this game so I doubt it. :v:

I'm terrible too, it shows in the decks I build. For three euros I want to play fnm and just mess around. Or draft, I guess. They're a crapshoot since I know like 10 cards.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Is plague mare not just a black goblin chainwhirler? Want to do the draft this weekend but don't fancy doing rare redrafting if it's basically the first time I'll be seeing these cards.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Doesn't wizards refuse to acknowledge there's secondary market?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Managed to kick a grunn into play, have it attack the following, get blocked, then fling it into my opponent for 20. Felt good to go 2-2 with a stupid deck built around that.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

How viable is thud vs fling? I'm seriously considering making my standard deck a "fling grunn to win" deck, and am worried about grunn v galta, and fling v thud with a load of mana ramp around them.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Gustav posted:

It probably makes me a scrub, but I much prefer it when the control decks in standard are still running some actual, not-just-a-wincon, creatures in their main decks.

There's a guy at my lgs who plays uw second sun with a teferi. Most of his turns he plays a land then ends.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Budget fling deck?

4 llanowar elves
4 elphame druid
4 untamed kavu
4 shock
4 territorial allosaurus
2 grand warlord Radha
4 blossoming defence
2 helm of the host
2 galta
4 fling
2 Jaya immolating inferno

4 of the red/green lands
12 forest
8 mountain

Side some naturalise, whatever the green is that gives all creatures indestructible, want to slip some grunn the lonely king in, mostly to fling a 20/20 grunn.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Star Man posted:

The only good UW control player is a dead one, folks.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The m19 cards did feel different when I opened my packs. I figure I was imagining it, and who gives a poo poo, it's magic cards. I might have 2 cards worth more than :tenbux:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Probably late to the party but I've got Arena keys too, just let me know and I'll provide them.

Could i snag one? I don't have plat for private message but my email is my username @gmail

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

To the guy looking to start out, my local store runs a league where you start with 3 boosters and build a 30 card deck. Every week you can add a new booster to your pile, as well as after a few losses. Seems a good way to get into it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Does arena do rare redrafting??

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'm watching a bit of the gp lyon finals, and holy. they're deep into game 1 and there's 7 lands on the table o_O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

On the deckbuilding screen is there a good way to move something from sideboard to main deck? I kept having to take the card out completely, then put it back into the maindeck.