Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Moving pretty soon here, anyone able to give me the lowdown on the mtg scene in Scranton, PA? I'm planning to hop back into mtg once i make it back there both to keep myself busy and start meeting people in the local area. Any shops I should avoid? Any good ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

C-Euro posted:

Move to Philly instead and come hang out with me.

Sorry man, maybe in a year or two but personal poo poo and family providing free room and board means i'm stuck with Scranton

Still though interesting to hear about a potential vintage scene, if they allow proxies (and by proxies I mean obvious proxies not counterfeits) then that might be worth checking out

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I'm actually looking to get back into standard so I can windmill slam Bolas on the table for as long as hes in standard, but given the ban happiness of standard i'm worried WotC will nuke him halfway into building the deck. The only other deck i'm interested in is zombies, but that doesn't really have the same feeling as URb Control

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Siivola posted:

Does anybody even play Bolas?

Edit: Does anybody even play Standard any more? I'm all out of the loop.

As far as Bolas:
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/709349#paper

As far as Standard:
A lot of the stores around scranton look like they have standard events more consistently than modern, but admittedly thats just from reading their calendars for one month

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
the sad part is that i know mtg players where i'm living now who would 100% put that on their child and then go to fnm AND make the store owners babysit

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The story is bad in the same way that every trad game's metaplot is always bad. The only thing unusual about it in this scenario is the popularity of the game itself.

If you really want to see some red hot bad writing I urge you to hop into any GW-game thread on this subforum

I thought this week's story was cool, sue me

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

YggdrasilTM posted:

day 1 metagame.

And here I was hoping rdw would be a cheap entry to standard while I rebuilt my collection

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Voyager I posted:

There's a fair amount of anxiety that Grixis Shadow might see a card banned, which might be making people hesitant to buy the deck. The expensive pieces you're talking about are also format staples that have been in T1 decks forever, so even if they're in the current 'best deck' it's not necessarily going to spike their demand.

The one good thing is that if death's shadow is banned you can just transition the deck back into grixis delver like it was before, maybe not the best deck but still a fairly good one.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Standard is fine when your starting out, it can be an excellent way to build your collection until you have the funds/winnings to start buying into eternal formats.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Errant Gin Monks posted:

No uncommon should be over a dollar.

I don't know why you're complaining, every time this happens it makes the EV of the set skyrocket

I also still have wonderful memories of New Phyrexia and the titanic amount of playables it had, so if you think that's a bad thing then u can fite me

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why the gently caress weren't interesting lands like the desert cycle in neo-Zendikar

Because WotC are hack frauds?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mehall posted:

Given we've seen what we think is the entire Ixalan rare sheet, i'm surprised we've not seen any speculation on what decks might be around post rotation.

I know we can't know for sure, since so much of the meta is defined by what answers there are, but given both zendikar and innistrad are going away, i would have thought people might be trying to work out what card has the most raw power since we're losing Gideon?

(i know, i know, magic players, and this thread especially, are bad at card evaluation.)

I don't know about Ixalan cards but ramunap red survives rotation almost entirely intact, it basically just needs a one drop and a burn spell to stay competitive going into the next meta and even without them it can probably limp along with bomats and soul-scar mages as its only one drops for quite a while before its fully forced out of the top tables.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Elyv posted:

Maybe, but I'm not sure the deck came across that way in the first ISD block

If I remember correctly that deck was mostly about how they refused to stay in the graveyard

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Dinos being overcosted is disappointing, hopefully the treasure mechanic can mitigate that

Dino.dec needs to be standard playable

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 29, 2017

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mandatory lesbian posted:

bring back tribal dammit

I still don't get why they got rid of it

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

DariusLikewise posted:

CawBlade was the stupidest, most boring deck

clearly you've missed out on the last couple standards

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

I'm trying to think of what kind of deck wants this and I keep coming back to ramp, the extra land drop you functionally get on the transform is nice and the higher cost utility options can be more easily utilized by such a deck. Maybe a one or two of in any standard ramp deck we see? Of course the existence of that deck means that there are big creatures that are worth ramping into. Dinos have some promise there but we're gonna have to wait until the rubber meets the road on this set.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

Spell Pierce is an aggressive card, not a mid range or control card.

I think the word you're looking for is "tempo"

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

gif Probst posted:

bolt was in the design file for this set for a while before they scaled it back to strike

That is probably a very good idea right now, the opportunity to print bolt passed (it was during the coco meta) and with ramunap and temur being the top decks thats probably too much power to inject into one color without also printing poo poo like manaleak, birds and other cards that spread the power around a bit.

Also is there a source on this? I'm intrigued

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Count Bleck posted:

What do we know isn't getting reprinted?

Besides Power 9. ABUR Stuff, right?

Can't wait for Shivan Dragon.

I still think bolt shows up in that set

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

TwistedNails posted:

In modern elves I just want to draw more cards, I'll try it out though as a reason to include a craterhoof or extra ezuri pumps. Not sure I need it with vizier and devouted druid still legal though.

It does draw a card, the back half may be a gaea's cradle but lets not forget that the front half is also a decent upside.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Gyshall posted:

Lowest effort card name ever

thats why its funny

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tainen posted:

From Hascon panel

I understand why she's green but it makes it seem super weird in the context of a pirate deck, I was sort of hoping we saw her monoblack

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Star Man posted:

Don't tell that to the Splinter Twin crowd.

"Modern is currently very diverse" and "Modern was good with twin in the meta" are not mutually exclusive thoughts

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Dehtraen posted:

Apparently everyone's favorite mtg player Jeff Hoogland hates modern now that everyone loves it and has since switched to legacy where he is frequently casting Brainstorm and Force of Will after years of complaining about both cards and complaining about legacy in general

I tried to watch one of his videos where he was playing gift-storm so I could get a handle on the deck, but it was pulled from his stream and half the video was him fighting with some guy in chat about how he raises his kids.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Katana Gomai posted:

I guess I am into Magic now. Already can't wait for the XLN prerelease and after yesterday's leaks I am really looking forward to drafting IMA in November. Put my lovely little collection into Deckbox and all that.

So since I am just starting out, I'm curious: what are things you did when you first started playing Magic that you wouldn't do again? Buying too much of a single set, investing or whatever.

Going all in on a standard deck before you know what decks are in the meta. I sat out Theros standard because I mispredicted what decks were going to be good and ended up with a u/r spellheart chimera deck instead of the black deck I thought wouldn't be good without a black board wipe. Probably the worst mistake of my magic career.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

I'm too in love with kolaghan's command and beating people to death with a draft common (Gurmag Angler) to run this list

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Omar al-Bishie posted:

What's the best replacement for Thalia and Path in my deck until I can get a hold of them?

Pieces of paper roughly the size of a magic card that have "path" and "thalia" written on them

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Archenteron posted:

That white enchantment/land looks like a 1-2 of in Norin Sisters for the funsies. Potentially better Kher Keep? Sure.

I think whats left of modern BW tokens is probably in on it too

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
These spoilers are starting to make me wonder if vampire weenies is gonna be a thing.

Also pirates look like the new fairies.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Sickening posted:

Anyone else noticing Saffron Olive flailing at the notion of MTGO going away? Does he have a bigger stake in the mtgo singles market than I realized?

I mean, making weird brews to show that certain cards are playable is a pretty good way of advertising singles you don't normally sell.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mossyfisk posted:

Arena doesn't have trading, so you won't be able to liquidate and there will be no secondary market.

if mtgo is kill and wizards moves the eternal formats over they could theoretically allow a one time transfer of peoples collections

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I like raider's wake even if its jank that will never see play

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Zemyla posted:

This may have gotten lost in the discussion about his ETB ability, but he's got menace and deathtouch. The opponent's gotta sac two guys to stop him if he attacks. We haven't seen that since Kederekt Creeper.

yeah i'm pretty sure this ends up being the black glorybringer

nice curve topper for the ub(r?) pirate deck i think will exist

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

PJOmega posted:

I'm traveling for work and had downtime this evening. So I swung by a local shop to see what was happening. Turns out it's casual edh night! Fine, whatever, there's not much else to do in this town that I can see so I pick up the 2017 wizards deck and sleeve it up.

There's about 4 games of 4-player EDH playing and no one is willing to give up a seat in between games, so I spend an hour dicking around on my phone. Finally someone comes in, I strike up a conversation, and we decide to play 1v1. I warn him I'm playing the stock 2017 so if he's got multiple decks he may want to keep that in mind. He says great, he's got a stock 2017 cat edh deck as well.

Who knew that the stock deck has a full set of swords, mana vault, Mana crypt, and other fun stuff? Anyway, the game drags on (lol edh) with me stuck on 4 lands but staying alive. I use a Felwar Stone to get me to 5 Mana and play Taigam in a lull, which buys me a few more turns. 9 cards later I hit another land, but I've exhausted my discard and can't keep up with him dropping threat after threat.

Throughout all of this I have to explain how the stack works. How equipping works. That there is a second main phase. That you have to declare effects when using them. He's getting visibly upset when I remove his creatures in response to equipping or attacking or pumping.

As I said, the game finally mercifully ends right when two more people show up, so I offer to let them play. And my last opponent immediately flips his deck up to Mana weave the whole thing. I sit and watch him weave his whole deck, set it by him, and go to draw 7 cards.

So I call him out on it. Politely, because I'm from out of town. I simply say hey let me shuffle your deck. I hadn't shuffled his deck before because lol edh casual whatever. He turns to the two new players and ask them if they want to shuffle his deck. They both shrug as they prep, so he turns back to me and says they declined so he doesn't need to.

Again, I politely say that stacking your deck is against the rules, and you have to allow your opponents to shuffle.

Cue loving screaming. Full on wailing and cursing that I dared call him a cheater. That I lied to him about the rules throughout our last game. That it wasn't fair because blue is overpowered.

One of the store employees comes over to try to calm him down, and after a minute he asks me what happened. I explain, he tells me he isn't the magic guy so he doesn't know the rules so he isn't going to do anything. Which hey, is fine. This guy's a regular, I'm never coming back to the store, I get it.

I apologize to the two newcomers for the scene, and pack up the deck and head out.

The whole thing took 3 loving hours.

gently caress EDH.

and here I thought I had it bad when a regular decided to wave his goldplated dick by playing pileofcombos.dec against a bunch of newbies just starting out in edh with a bunch of bad midrange decks and precons and loudly reminiscing about the Regan presidency the whole time.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tubgoat posted:

:stare:
Surely the Reagan thing is an embellishment?

only slightly, it wasn't the WHOLE time but he did describe a deck he made that he called "Reganomics" and then when everyone looked at him funny he started describing Regan as the "Teflon president" as if he was describing his favorite WWE star

edit: I had to move in with family due to financial reasons so i'm stuck with the local cardshop people, I had a fantastic group back in STL but they're a full timezone away from me right now.

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 14, 2017

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Probably the most playable vehicle we've seen spoiled for this set.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

multiverse brain: look at this sexy piece:

inb4 vraska-jace-liliana love triangle

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

DariusLikewise posted:

I hope one day we return to Mirrodin and it's just Karn and Koth killing Phyrexians until we get Mirrodin Pure

I do eventually want them to get more mileage out of of the Phyrexians up to and including multi-planar wars since they're one of the few concepts that isn't a tired old fantasy trope in a shiny new package. they're actually a tired old sci-fi trope in a shiny new package, I just think this package hasn't been reused a million times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Zemyla posted:

If they were going to, they'd have done so in Amonkhet.

...........................................i don't get it