Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

LSV went on record at the end of the set review saying he thinks Amonkhet could break into his top 5 limited formats of all time. High hopes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Siivola posted:

Speaking as kind of a new player, the set also comes off as very approachable. I know I'm going to punt a million times with bad exerts, but things don't make me scratch my head and wonder how I'm supposed to use something.

I'm surprised to hear this, actually, I think this set has a LOOOOOOT of juggling of mechanics/cards/options.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Barry Shitpeas posted:

It helps that the terrible commons/"sideboard cards" they always put in all have cycling now

Which is gonna end up being a trap for a lot of players thinking they can just cycle away like 6 conditional cards in their deck and just spin their wheels.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Shadow225 posted:

I know a lot of people have bounced off MM17 draft, either voluntarily or not, but I'm curious what BR is supposed to do as a color group. The theme seems to be sacrifice, but the payoffs just don't seem good. The only token enabler I remember is Dragon Fodder, the payoff is Mortician Beetle, and the sac outlets don't seem to affect the board like even a simple Penumbra Spider. I've only drafted it 3 times, but I have never seen anyone force it successfully, even when it seems open.

MM3 draft is baaaaad bad bad because like 2 archetypes are playable in power level and the rest are garbage compared.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

I think the funniest thing about Goyf is that it has reminder text that was supposed to be cool future stuff, but now it references an abandoned, archaic card type.

You'll never take my tarfires!!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

Sunday pre-releases are hilarious. Isn't it crazy how much better sealed pools get compared to the day before?

If I can't do the first non midnight pre I basically don't bother going. People are scum.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

All these pre release stories are killing me. First one in a while I wasn't able to get to. Someone summarize what I should try to draft, though.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

man now there's no reason for me to read that like 400 page book about Gush

really feeling for Stephen Menendian

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 24, 2017

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Jabor posted:

So if I'm reading this right, the big tradeoff here is more-or-less NAP gets priority first in the beginning of combat step - the onus is on them to reveal their action (if any) first.

Notably, now you should always say "combat?" before crewing your vehicles or activating manlands - your opponent has to decide if they want to do something before you attack, without knowing whether or not you were intending on activating them.

Yeah this is like really hugely important to understand at this point, I think...

quote:

Among the things you’d ideally like to accommodate:

1) It needs to be friendly to non-native English speakers. Having to parse the difference between “I pass priority in Combat” and “I pass priority into Combat” is not something we want in a global game.
2) It needs to prevent players taking advantage of ambiguity to be able to claim that they’re still in their main phase after the non-active player’s action has been resolved.
3) It needs to prevent the active player from forcing the non-active player to act first when they shouldn’t have to (relevant for Mutavault/Cryptic Command scenarios)
4) It needs to accommodate the non-active player having floating mana.
5) It needs to let the active player crew or activate creature-lands at the intuitive time.
6) It shouldn’t be too punitive on missing beginning of combat triggers unless the player really had gone past that point.
7) It needs to reflect that non-active players may want to remove the source of triggers before combat.
8) It needs to avoid “Combat”, “pass”, “declare attacks”, “wait, I want to do something first”
9) It should be short to express and intuitive to understand.

This gets us everything above except for #3 (you can bait priority now, though not if the non-active player is very careful), #8 (the double pass can, and technically always does, happen) and it’s arguable whether we achieved shortness. It’s not the cleanest approach, but it’s compatible with how people actually play the game and minimizes the gotchas. Wordy but invisible is an acceptable outcome!

What they don't describe is how the NAP can be "Very careful" and avoid getting baited.

Additionally, I don't understand WHY #8 is something the shortcut needs to get around exactly.

This is just another one of those times where I really want to understand what I need to do to avoid getting gotcha'd by some random spike in more competitive environment because doing some minor mess-up in this complex game feels really stupid when the person at the other side of the table has every little thing on lockdown because they want to angle shoot as much as possible.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Deified Data posted:

Could you dears point me towards good resources for newbies looking to collapse under peer pressure break into the game? Assume I'm starting from almost zero. I didn't find anything in the OP but this might not even be the right thread.

Before I go ape here, what's your immediate goal? Playing with friends at the kitchen table, playing with strangers at game stores? Also, how would you define your immediate budget range?

Edit: also, do you want to play in real life, with strangers on the internet, or both?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Deified Data posted:

Strictly casual games with friends/I think collecting WH40K minis is a worthwhile use of my money

https://www.isleofcards.com/magic-the-gathering-beginner-guide

This is a very solid "understand pretty much everything you need to understand about the actual game" article, to start with.

Give me a minute for more information than this.

So there are a number of ways to begin actually PLAYING the game, including making completely casual jank decks with cheap cards you get at a game store that look fun to you, to "netdecking" (finding a list online and copying it) budget lists that conform to various formats (which are described in that article I linked), to purchasing pre-made decks and jamming them against each other to learn the game better and figuring out how you might want to change things.

The Duel Decks are kinda fun in that way, in that they aren't strictly overpowered and are usually designed to be somewhat equally matched. An issue I have with them is that they are pretty inconsistent due to the design of the decks themselves.

If you are used to longer multiplayer games in other games you've played, you could get pre-made Commander/EDH decks and just slam those for awhile, and then swap cards in as you learn about them and think they look neat.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 24, 2017

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Deified Data posted:

Strictly casual games with friends/I think collecting WH40K minis is a worthwhile use of my money

Edit: real-life

So besides what I said in my earlier post, the general way I would tell anyone totally new to the game and didn't already have friends who played would be:

1) Determine how you will actually enjoy the game. EDH/Commander is a hugely popular casual format because it allows you to express yourself in your deck design, play a deck you like to play, and enjoy power-creeping your way up with your friends. "Oh man, Jennifer has this powerful Wrath of God in her deck now? I will have to get something like that for my deck now to compete." However, you can play casual standard and modern with budget decks just as easily, without the long multiplayer games of Commander. If you think that you will enjoy the game by playing in competitive events at stores and win prizes, you will have to learn more about the "metagame" (what decks are good in a format, essentially) and spend a lot more money to compete.

2) Learn the game by reading introduction articles like the one I posted, and buying/playing pre-constructed decks.

3) Modify pre-constructed decks, or look for budget list resources like MTGgoldfish.

4) After you all understand the game well enough, play "Limited" (booster draft) with 6-8 people. You now are playing the best and most pure and true version of the game. Never look back.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Deified Data posted:

I'll get started on that article and let you know what I think, thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmiybB0kLsE

This is a pretty worthwhile watch as well.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I've never played Legacy and don't care about the Top banning, hope this helps with the data collection.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

You can bulk order from potomac distro for $41/8 packs which is like $50 for 8 shipped. The color I want isn't in stock but as soon as they are I'm pulling the trigger. Need to resleeve all my modern stuff.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Pontius Pilate posted:

Oh thank god. I'm sold. What's the best inner sleeve for 'em?

KMC perfect fits only

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Deified Data posted:

Wanted to touch base and thank you for the useful resources - I read the article, watched the video, lost my first game, and I'm still interested so there's that.

I have a limited base of how the game is played to build off now, so I'm curious about (casual) deck building - good strategies for beginners to pursue, most efficient products to look for, etc. Whether you have the time to reply or not, thanks for the time regardless.

Netdeck. Just netdeck.

People also seem to like https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles type budget brew deck things.

I'd suggest exploring preconstructed decks to mess with with your friends, as they are cheap and fun enough and give you more ideas of what color identities are in some way.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

80s James Hetfield posted:

Don't listen to this bad advice.

Best advice.

I'm not gonna tell someone to buy some boxes and make decks from the cards they open. I'm not sure how else people end up making fun decks starting from zero.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So you'd rather have new players be boring and unoriginal and miss out on cards they might end up loving and enjoy playing because someone pointed them to buy a tournament winning deck that 900 other people also play?

Feel bad man if you're jamming casual with friends. If someone ever wants to get serious about actual PTQ's and poo poo then I'd point them to all the dumb "netdecks" once they get a foothold in how the game actually works

I said to check out budget decks and to buy precons to play with friends. Budget stuff on MTGgoldfish is still "netdecking" in my definition of it.

Where was all this loving opinion and effort when the poster was asking for resources and information?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Can someone with the shared premium account post the UG Crush decklist. This was a fun deck to play a few sets ago and I want to see what they were able to do with card updates

Here

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/competitive-standard-constructed-league-2017-04-27

Some of these decks are just so good.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

TheAsterite posted:

And if you sell them to some unsuspecting sucker, you can get the real cards for much less too!

I hope this is a bullshit post because otherwise GFY.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

He's somehow a lot more reasonable on the MTG Goldfish podcast, which is honestly a good podcast. Probably because there are 2 other people there including Chas, who I find imminently reasonable and normal.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Red Cross must be up to some kinda spooky ritual, harvesting the blood of so many virgins like this.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Maria is great and plays a ton of limited.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Man, no Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, or Indiana SCG events for the rest of the year? SAD!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mandatory lesbian posted:

there's like 2 in ohio that's not a big drive

course i drove halfway across the us within 2 days so i might not be the best judge

Yeah I could conceivably go to the Cinci one in October, that's about it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Hi and welcome to the pacific northwest where we may get one GP a year and scg explicitly pulled out.

You also get to live in the PNW while I languish in the flyover industrial sprawl of the great lakes region.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Is BG energy any good in standard?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

rabidsquid posted:

the last time i drove through ohio when i stopped to get gas i saw an old man wearing socks and sandals buying a 24 pack of high life and a frozen skyline chili spaghetti thing

Don't post about me without my express opinion.

(I actually do have frozen skyline in my freezer tho)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mailorder bees! posted:

finally took a pic

fuuuuuuck yeaaaaaahhhhh

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm lamely trying to get as much of my modern cards signed as possible. Going to less than 1 GP a year on average is not speeding this process up.

My buddy day 2'd at GP Vegas 15 on the back of Sign in Blood and Mana Leak (among others), so I got those two cards signed for him by Howard Lyon and let me tell you dude has a great sig. Also my Thoughtseizes signed by Lucas Graciano look sick. Basically any gold paint marker signed cards look fantastic.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

odiv posted:

I just have a note in mine that says "Owen is a turd". Is that fine?

I kinda want to put that in my deckbox permanently now, just in case I one day play him. I WILL figure out some way to make him want to check my deck box.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

mm2017 is finally getting a little bit of relief in singles prices. Goyf is down to low 70's again. Lily to the high 50's. The rest are starting to steadily fall again. That could all change if the pro tour bombs hard and the scg tour pushes interest again.

The cheapest LotV is still $74 on TCGplayer. Where are you seeing this?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

Weird, I swear some innistrad copies were there but maybe those were just a few damaged copies or something. Still mid 60's. Seems weird that the mm3 coppies are still 72 when goyf is 72.

I don't mean to press this, but both versions of lili are still mid 70s on tcg at NM/LP. I check Lili often because I'm fascinated with her floor.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Coverage calling their shot with Glorybringer and saying it "would be AMAZING in this spot" is already so tired.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dehtraen posted:

What the gently caress, did they seriously stop coverage of this draft after pack 2 to show ads? Watching on mute on my phone and it was just playing ads for 5 minutes.

There are SO MANY ads.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Elyv posted:

I'm watching on my browser with adblock but they did show the rest of the draft for me

what adblock do you run that removes twitch ads??

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Mtggoldfish always does them based on observations and information gathered before the official lists are shown. They're usually pretty close.

I checked there but didn't see the Rite deck :/

Edit: now I do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Count Bleck posted:

Also this.

Long live Modern FNMs.

There are no modern FNMs in Chicago that I can find and it makes me very sad on the infrequent occasion I can/want to play on Friday.