Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Sampatrick posted:

Tezzeret, the Seeker and Ugin probably. Maybe Nahiri?

I can't see why Ugin-as-commander would need an EDH ban, he's not uncounterable, doesn't have an on-cast effect, costs 7 and won't even blow up everybody's lands if he resolves and minuses without some other combo piece. You'd probably make it into a really broken deck but that's because any colorless EDH deck has to be full of broken combos so as to not be total garbage

Nahiri can't grab emrakul since she's already banned so would probably also be fine

Tezz would have to go though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sampatrick posted:

No, it's just absurdly good as a ramp/control tool. You cast it on t4/5 and repeatedly wrath the board. If they deal with it, you just do it again. Repeat this process ad nauseum. Playing against Ugin would be positively miserable for every party involved.

I feel like trying to do that on mono-colorless is just going to get you killed against anything with any interaction

but then i've played plenty of edh games where everybody involved felt like having interaction in their deck or winning from an empty board was bad so

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

Miracles was more of a prison deck than a control deck anyway...

closest thing to a control deck that was worth playing in any format, anyway

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
tbf like half of lovecrafts horrors are explicitly or implicitly metaphors for sexuality bc he was v spooked by the very idea

much like jace

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I mean, he was pretty spooked by black people too.

often the metaphors for one were also metaphors for the other!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

It says in the OP that Legacy has skyrocketed in popularity lately, but then it says nobody plays it anymore?

Assuming I can find my decks this is what I would actually be able to use them in so just wondering which it is.

legacy literally can't skyrocket in popularity

there are only so many duals in print

i could believe that it's skyrocketed in interest, as somebody who quite likes the idea of legacy but can't blow thousands of dollars on a lands deck

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

TheAsterite posted:

People are complaining about the high prices of modern, there's no way they're going to get into legacy with authentic cards. Though I don't understand the mentality of wanted to purchase a modern deck all at once and needing to do it now.

only reason i have a modern deck at all (tron) is b/c i picked it up exploiting price differences from MM2

it'd cost a helluva lot more to just buy these days

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

TheAsterite posted:

Right, and I put off building a modern deck until fetches got reprinted. I get that they're still expensive, but all modern cards will eventually get reprinted, just gotta be patient and watch the market.

well the problem is if you tell people to wait years to play modern when they don't want to waste money on standard decks that'll rotate out and like constructed more than limited then you're basically just saying magic is terrible and you should go play a more modern card game instead

which is true but not a good look

E: example, I am cautiously optimistic about new l5r

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

The Shortest Path posted:

Don't actually do this. Not only is it just a lovely thing to do, but if you get caught a lot of stores will send your name around to a bunch of other stores and you'll get blacklisted from your local area. Store owners don't tolerate that poo poo at all.

Counterfeits are for playing the game without having to take a second mortgage out on your house, not for screwing other players out of their money.

also its you know, fraud

just b/c nobody would ever prosecute for it doesn't make it any less criminal

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

sit on my Facebook posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this is a Good Standard

traditionally the week 1 scg tournament meta doesn't look anything like the standard shakes out but its been a fun watch

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I think there was in the WR deck where the dude was stuck on singe red the whole game. But yeah not making waves. I'm more sad Hazoret hasn't shown up.

And then immediately closed the game when they drew the second red tbf

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

mandatory lesbian posted:

how many people show up to gp's on average? would truncating the number of rounds possibly be a solution

so many that the cut to top8 is always on tiebreakers already

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Marketing New Brain posted:

The restriction is you have to fill your deck with cards that give you energy, and have said energy, and the marvel. This is slightly different than BBE, where the restriction is fill your deck with cards. Running the full 4 Ulamog, your chances of hitting one off a spin, even if you haven't drawn any, are lower than 50 percent. That also required you drew and activated Marvel. I personally like the deck but it's about as fair as it could possibly be.

Nah, it could come into play tapped and that would be as fair as it could possibly be

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
i lost my job and stopped following magic for a year and only just found out that they printed two nicol bolas in the same set, they're going back to dominaria, doing an un-set (with a sixth color?!) and bringing back core set?

what the gently caress happened while i was out

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't think it's more shocking than FNM promos going away, small sets going away, and five cards being banned from Standard.

whoa what

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Tales of Woe posted:

Ixalan (the upcoming fall set) will get a small set called Rivals of Ixalan in January as usual, but that will be the last small set ever. after that it'll be 3 standalone large sets and a core set each year, with no fixed rules about how many sets the story spends on each world before moving along. basically they realized that most players prefer large sets and standalone limited formats and took that to its conclusion while giving the story/creative team more flexibility.

and yes there's currently 5 cards banned in standard, most of them the fault of Kaladesh block which broke Standard in several ways as per usual with artifact blocks.

moving away from fixed rules is a really good move, probably because i started playing regularly with theros i always go back to that block as like the perfect example of a great set that just got worse with each release

also im an idiot moron who is going to have to come back to prerelease an unset since i missed the originals and really enjoyed the conspiracy draft format

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

At least tell me you guys like Innistrad draft. :ohdear:

i actually don't like innistrad draft because i wasn't playing when it came out, its very complicated and dense and everyone who wants to draft it is already an expert with probably more drafts in it than i've done total

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
wait were silver border cards edh legal for some reason??

did i miss the best opportunity to play edh of all time

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
i don't have a group i'm out of the game these days, that's just the coolest thing i've heard since i stopped

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

The Shortest Path posted:

This guy got pre-release errata to be legal as a commander despite not being a creature, and boy howdy is he fun as gently caress to play.

there's no way to turn programs back into hands :eyepop:

wait so presumably if this gets vaporized nobody gets to touch any of the cards in programs but only cards they draw into their hands that now exist, while the programs sit lonely and forelorn

no wonder they made this edh legal its a judge's holy grail

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 17, 2018

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Some Numbers posted:

Per the Unstable FAQ

why is it an etb trigger then *grumble grumble*

it would be better if killing it left piles of cards sitting on the table, gone forever thanks to the fool who destroyed it

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Tubgoat posted:

I forgot about Reflector Mage's clause about a quarter of the time. Banning it in standard was the right thing to do. Ain't defendin' this feller, just that it's a reasonable mistake under most circumstances.

Edit: spelling

When you gently caress up in your favor twice on camera you've also done it dozens and dozens of times off camera.

I swear to god if any other competitive scene was run like magic you'd have people constantly apologizing for folks getting caught with aimbots or an entire shelf full of steroids in their locker as 'just a one time mistake'

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Also I'd probably suggest you make multiple decks! And let them play with them and tell them about what you made and why so they get interested in the mechanics of deckbuilding and can see how effective that is first hand

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

ManMythLegend posted:

If you hate SO's infinite turns deck then you clearly hate fun.

"But my interaction..." :qq:

Last time I played against infinite turns I beat it to death with a swan song token after it took 20 turns and accomplished nothing

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

ManMythLegend posted:

Exactly, it's super janky and not that good which is why people complaining about people playing it, and enjoying it, is hella dumb.

Mostly I just think it's really dumb how many people complain about SO's stuff in general.

it wasn't his deck this was years ago but even then

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

GoutPatrol posted:

Canon Teferi is bald, my immersion

its been a while, he's allowed to grow hair if he wants

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

MrBling posted:

Mono-Green Tron guy with natural tron on turn 3 in game 3 of the semi-finals and then just a handful of green spells. Literal no plays for 2 turns with the full tron out.

Guess you can't complain too much when the R/G Eldrazi guy smashes your face in.

Can't blame him you keep that hand and rely on your top 5 cards to have a threat or a way to get one every single time

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
masques or bust imo

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

At least in the Jace counterspell a spell is actually being countered

this one is just a floaty guy with magic poo poo around him

Yeah I actually like Duel Deck counterspell the most which is shameful because jace :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

AnEdgelord posted:

How is the Eldrazi Tron vs. Jund matchup? Both are extremely good in the jace matchup and have extremely similar game plans so I'm curious.

The entire point of Tron is to prey on Jund.