Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Firebatgyro posted:

So I just moved down to Northern VA, whats the best place to go for pre-release around here?

My brother likes Curio Cavern in Springfield. I play out of Third Eye in Annapolis but that's a hike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

:psyduck:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Pontius Pilate posted:

Time to dig out the one I have! Anyone interested??

I think in the previous thread people mentioned that KMCs suck now? Is that true and if so what's the hot new sleeve? Need to resleeve a deck and the cube probably needs it too but that's such a pain. Know people were happy with those dragon shields purple/turquoise mattes or whatever but I'd want something more neutral. Probably just black let's be real.

Ultra Pro Eclipse Matte are great. KMC sadly suck now.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I was looking at this earlier today. It seems.... amazing?

I want to try it so much but I also am hesitant as most of my MTGO collection is in BGx so not a lot of crossover :(

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Star Man posted:

Open a Glorybringer, turn it sideways, and win.

Can confirm

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Having drafted Amonkhet a few times in MTGO. It's pretty good. Way more fun than Kaladesh / Aether Revolt

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

evilweasel posted:

Well that was fun. Just won a draft on MTGO, where the first two rounds I won fairly close games, then the last round discovered my enbalmcreatures.dec was completely outclassed by the other guy's Drake Haven/Trials/Bounty of the Luxa deck that killed me in the first game with about 10 drakes and I never managed to draw my Gideon's Intervention to stabilize. Second game I thought I was doing well enough and noticed he was significantly lower on time than I was, so I figured if I could make it to game 3 he'd probably time out or have to play fast enough he'd make mistakes. However he managed to stall me out and the board stalemated, so because he had less cards than I did, I started stalling to try to deck him out.

Well, he never realized what I was doing, and continued to play slowly, and I think he finally realized what was up with only about a minute of time left. He cast something that put all graveyards back into the decks so he avoided decking out when he had about 45 seconds left...but that refilled my hand with chumpblockers and so he finally ran out of time while he was about two turns out from winning the second game. I'm sure he broke his keyboard or something because my deck was completely outclassed: he'd managed to answer both the Gideon's Intervention and the Angel of Sanctions and I was losing life fast.

Plus, drafted a buncha good cards that worked out to be more than 12 tickets worth including a foil Glorious End that I immediately sold after it was done, so all in all, quite good.

I've played a bunch of MTGO drafts now; and my biggest complaint is that the time allotment seems insufficient for this set. I've won several matches to time (and lost once), whereas I've never run into clock issues in other formats before.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I for one quite like Third Party MTG cards.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

AceClown posted:

Official MTG stream is trash, 720p only and showing Marvel mirrors.

Starting now, SGC Team Constructed (teams of 3, one Standard, one Modern, one Legacy), looks fun.

Cannot wait to watch some of this SCG event. They have the best coverage and team is a fun format.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

drat it.

I've been playing and tweaking this deck super intensively before SCG Baltimore next weekend. It's super good, but now I'm expecting people to be packing way too much hate.

Was hoping it wouldn't break out until next weekend

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

teddust posted:

Obviously it's better if no one expects it, but if you've been getting reps with the deck you are in a much better place than the people just picking it up. I recommend just doing some sideboard games vs meta decks with them sideboarding the worst things you can think of vs your deck. You can figure out what your outs are, and tweek your sideboard to play into that plan.

Yep. That's still my hope - I have a ton of league runs on it and am actively tweaking the sideboard.

I'm trying to make a guess as to whether I actually expect to see storm in paper. It's everywhere online but I never run into in paper events.

Other than storm and grixis control it seems to have a pretty favorable matchup around the meta.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Fingers McLongDong posted:

There was a higher than normal amount of WR prison in the top results this weekend. Might be a good meta call.

I've considered it as it's my favorite deck and a common FNM choice for me. I don't think it's too well positioned overall but it could shift that way quickly depending what happens

I would love for it to be viable right now

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sickening posted:

So who else has counters company put together? I thought I was missing a bunch of pieces but nope, have every piece of the 75 no matter the list I have seen. It helped that I got a playset of druids for 2$.

I mostly sleeved it up because I want to play test against it. Anybody had any serious reps in?

Yeah; I've been hugely active on MTGO since the release of Amonkhet. It's super good but has weak spots too. It's really not so great against UR/x decks in my test

But the deck is good. Hit me up if you want to chat about it.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

TwistedNails posted:

I have a lot of the cards but I'm never buying Noble's, would avacyn's pilgrim work in that spot or would something else be better?

To be honest; yeah. It'd be fine. Exalted is nice; but not generally making the difference in all but the GRINDIEST of games. If we were playing a more midrange gameplan it'd be different, but we're aiming to combo so Exalted means less than average.

Your curve in a goldfish scenario is:
T2 Druid
T3 Vizier ---> Chord or CoCo / Other Mana sink

The only piece that Noble is helpful for is a T2-3 Chord or Company, and any mana dork will do that decently enough.

Noble is preferred, but minor all said.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sickening posted:

I have barely played the deck but I feel you are underestimating exalted by a lot. The deck is a value midrange deck with several combo synergies. Exalted means the difference between winning and losing often. This goes for almost any deck that has played noble.

I've played it a LOT in comp leagues. When we aren't combo mode we are generally go wide with Gavony Township. It's exceedingly rare were beating down with one dude.

When the combo doesn't come together it's normally renegade rallier and or finks doing beatdown while going wide.

I run Heirarch, mind you, but I wouldn't let not having him stop you from running the deck. It's the best dork for sure, but he asked how viable the deck is without, and it is.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

ShaneB posted:

NINE. HOURS. of downtime.

Yeah; the downtime today is absolutely insanity.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

ShaneB posted:

Next deck is kind of a "test new concepts in DS" list. Taking principles of Clay's deck and porting it in opposite direction. Hyper disruptive and generates large bodies to play defense, along with card advantage and grindy elements.

Mentions he would like to play 4 thought scour and likely another fatal push but hard to squeeze it all in there.

Speaking of Clay's deck, Majors says "Clay's deck and the movement that will result from its success is essentially the second step in getting Death's Shadow banned."

This was a lot of effort to get around just pasting the entire paid article because of :filez: concerns

I've been on the Coco/Vizier train since the release of Amonkhet. This deck looks extremely well suited against it.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

mcmagic posted:

The first list seems better vs Coco. Tarfire is a real card in that matchup.

Quoted the wrong one; I agree completely.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Hellsau posted:

Apparently he was missing ten cards from his deck.

https://twitter.com/kjvsthehighway/status/868518315127427073

This was my buddys first call to the feature match. He was quite sad for not being in camera

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Rinkles posted:

I'm on mobile and only saw the preview image on twitch. What's Abzan traverse? A shadowless shadow-like deck? Or SCG's new name for shadow decks?

The former

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

triple sulk posted:

After some semi-failed experiments with other games, I've been toying with the idea of getting back into Magic, specifically modern, but haven't regularly played since the Scars of Mirrodin block and part of Innistrad. It seems like my options for figuring out a deck basically rely upon checking out MTGGoldfish's meta archetypes and running lists in Cockatrice? I used to play Twin back when it was legal in standard, and I'm aware it's banned in modern which sucks (and was a bit of a reason why I didn't jump in sooner), but what's worth checking out right now if anything in particular?

When I played I was generally using some combo with blue, but I always felt I was pretty mediocre at playing blue although I enjoyed Twin. Just looking at the meta list, the Death's Shadow stuff seems cool (and I know it's been mentioned in the last few pages), either what looks to be the Grixis or aggro variant, but I'm open minded as long as the build is solid. Cost isn't too, too much of an issue, and if I build something, I more than likely wouldn't be getting everything at once but probably over a few weeks (or a little longer) since I have other stuff going on right now, mostly involving moving. Also, as an aside, I think the Zendikar Polluted Delta is amazing.

I stopped playing when you did and came back about a year ago.

Definitely proxy up on cockatrice to get a feel. Now is a decent time due to the recent modern masters set release.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I dig the wrath.

Samut is meh.

Dont really feel strongly one way or the other about Bolas.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Skyl3lazer posted:

mtgtop8 has all of the 5-0s even if wotc doesn't, don't they?

No.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

We do modern FNM and it's $5 with pretty good payouts.

I really like my store

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

80s James Hetfield posted:

Top 8: 6 Grixis Shadow, Eldrazi Tron and Living End

Eeesh

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Star Man posted:

All that matters to me today is that Andrew Jessup and his fat loving head isn't in the finals. I don't care what deck he's playing.

:agreed:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

This finals matchup at SCG feels like it's going to be one of the fastest finals ever.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I'm generally a-ok with these changes.

Curious what's next for today?
"There's a lot of cool stuff coming your way (a bunch of which you'll hear about later today)"

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I'm concerned with the next B&R moving to August that confidence to buy into Grixis Shadow is going to be very high and thus even more prevalent.

I think the meta is decent now but I'm expecting even more of a surge in Shadow now.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Wizards has done good this week

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

They're going to do some sort of expedition type cards to keep people cracking packs. Book it

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

SoftNum posted:

Before the set was announced Maro repeatedly said that they wouldn't put black-boarder in silver board just to move packs. Since the announcement I'm assuming this is still true (thought it wouldn't surprise me otherwise)

I hope you're correct!

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Tainen posted:

lolin that it is just named "The Scorpion God"

Yeah; what the gently caress?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Dehtraen posted:

Did anyone see that Grixis Death's Shadow vs. Affinity match? That might have been the most embarrassing match I have ever seen on camera. I have never felt so bad watching an mtg match, that affinity player either was extremely nervous or has had the stars align for him 5 rounds in a row to get to the point of being 5-0

Can confirm. Punted two games in hilariously bad ways. I'd be nervous on camera too, but jfc

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Hellsau posted:

Top 8 spoiler alert: UB Taking Turns (quadsleeved) in at 6th place

I'm traveling currently. Someone please post screenshots

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Thank you for posting this

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

Against the decks where you would want this card the cost seems pretty drat worth it?

Yeah. This will be a premium sideboard card I think. Does this even count as life gain?

Edit: nevermind I think I'm wrong

Walked fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 19, 2017

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

YggdrasilTM posted:

I like this!

Most modern playable yet, I think

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Yeah this is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I've been reserving my judgement on this set.

But I dont think I can hold off anymore. It sucks.

Can we fast forward to Ixalan?