Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Marketing New Brain posted:

I personally don't give two fucks about flavor, as long as the set plays well, I'm happy, but Ixalan is a complete embarrassment considering it's pirate and dinosaur themed, and the last Hearthstone expansion, coming 6-8 months or so ahead of Ixalan, was pirate and dinosaur themed.

Given magic's hilariously long development cycle I'm sure what happened was Marketing Report #426 that come out two years ago said pirates and dinosaurs were hot, and Hearthstone just developed their expansion much faster than WOTC, despite them both starting on it at the same time. Doesn't stop it from being a bad look for WOTC.
Pirates and dinosaurs are always awesome, sorry you hate fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Marketing New Brain posted:

I'm not complaining about the flavor, I'm not upset it is pirates and dinosaurs instead of ninjas and dragons, I'm just pointing out how bad it looks that the next expansion is a copy of Hearthstone's last expansion.

WTF at least read what I typed the 'complaint' isn't about pirates or dinosaurs at all, it is about copying and being slower than their competitor.
do you really think dinosaurs and pirates are a new thing

are you new to this planet

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

80s James Hetfield posted:

(((That was the joke)))
Kind of a crap joke considering how many dorks still hate the very concept that someone, somewhere, might be playing a deck devised by a different person.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
god has abandoned us and this is why

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pontius Pilate posted:

Travis "what if Hitler had walked up stairs backwards" Woo.
Thank you for reminding me of just how bugfuck insane TWoo is.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tin Tim posted:

I'm starting to wonder what type of sleeves are recommended to use for actual decks?
A lot of people swear by KMC hyper mattes. I have decks in dragon shields that have gone 15+ years of regular use and are still just fine outside of a bit of accumulation of gunk on the edges from holding them multiple hours (which comes off with the edge of a basic land, really) so that's what I would suggest. Every single box of ultra pro sleeves I've had has been relegated to shipping sleeves because they can only handle maybe 50ish games before they start to split from shuffling. Also, anything with art on the back is going to practically disintegrate inside of a month.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lawnie posted:

What, you don't use empty perfect fits to floss? Much better than the stupid rope imo
I use the little shepherd's crook things with the floss strung on them. Works better than string or sleeves IMO

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Went I want to play Magic I want to play Magic, not "Diplomacy but with cards" which is what EDH always ends up being. It's all the shittiness of legacy with all the whining of a prerelease and yet the people who play it are always so loving shocked that I think it sucks. because it does

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

OgreNoah posted:

Well I pretty much always have fun playing EDH, and I'm not sure I've ever had fully-realised fun while playing 1v1 tournament-setting Magic. Something about having the possibility of losing money due to chance annoys the hell out of me. Probably why I stopped playing standard and modern, and only do prereleases and EDH now.
Stop looking at it like this. You're not losing money to chance, you're paying a couple bucks to play against people who will actually try and are at least presumed to know the rules, plus having access to a judge to settle any disputes. The prizes are secondary. Think of it like this: You can pay $5 for a tournament, play some magic and have some fun, maybe win some poo poo as a bonus. Or you can pay $10 and go see a movie.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tainen posted:

This is probably really bad but I like the design

https://twitter.com/hotcblog/status/895712418059485184
I could see this in some kind of RW thing with tokens and aura bouncing/moving stuff maybe?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Aranan posted:

CARDNAME
{U/P} {U/B}
Sorcery
Target player loses life equal to your devotion to Phyrexia.
Untap up to two lands.
Storm
MaRo just started screaming incoherently. He doesn't know why.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Toshimo posted:

How do you, personally, feel about a return to Phyrexia?
I think it would be awesome and would be totally fine with seeing phyrexian mana come back, but given how it ends up being pretty busted I'd be fine with something else. Maybe a "fixed" version of it. Preferably not Infect since I found it to be annoying as all hell to play with and against. Proliferate is a given, as it's flavorful and interesting to build around.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Toshimo posted:

This doesn't sound like The Lord of the Wastes I know. You've grown soft.
Having a moon full of white mana dropped on your head will do that to ya!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

dragon enthusiast posted:

would phyrexian mana have been acceptable if it was {1}, pay 2 life instead of just the pay 2 life part
I think that "pay 1 life and {1} instead of {color}" would have worked just fine. Charging 2 life just to bleach your mana costs I think would be a little too steep.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

A Moose posted:

Pretty sure the answer to this is ensoul artifact on Krark's Thumb and play Mana Clash
UR Chance Encounter deck for legacy hells yeah

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Thisuck posted:

HAHAHA THAT'S A GOOD ONE. What a knee slapper.

While we're waiting on the Arena announcement. What's everyone's fav mono color, guild, and shard/clan?

My fav mono color is Blue
Fav guild is Izzet
My fav shard/clan is a tie between Grixis and Jeskai
Black
Golgari
Sultai

This should not surprise anyone. :v:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Attorney at Funk posted:

If we'd asked you pre-Invasion block you'd have been like "what is a shard"
Ah, back when we used country flags for our 3-color decks. And referring to my RWU decks as literally any other country but america to describe it because it pissed off at least one person at any given game shop.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

suicidesteve posted:

It's my 2nd favorite shard and my 3nd favorite 3 color combination. I hate UG(x) in general but Bant is sweet because it's bad at everything. Just like RUG.

Edit: to clarify, no matter what you want to do, you can always be better at doing that thing if you take out one of the colors and change it to another. The only exceptions are casting creatures with the type spirit in modern and Natural Ordering into Empyrial Archangel. And actually I'm not sure the latter is true anymore.
I have a ridiculous bant deck with cephalid constable in it, back when that was in standard. The whole deck was about making constable hard/impossible to block, then buffing it for one-sided upheavals. Going noble hierarch > constable > elspeth, KE swing (or rafiq) for 5-6 in the air, bounce 5-6 permanents on turn 3 was so much fun (for me, no one else). Nobody at my LGS could figure out how to beat it either, since they all played some kind of midrange/combo/control decks.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Typhus733 posted:

Black
Orzhov
Mardudes4Lyfe
Also a good set.

I want to build a stupid GB deck around hapatra, slimefoot, & helm of the host and just do ridiculous things with saprolings and snakes, but since I haven't done standard since eldritch moon I have no idea where to even start with such a concept (or if it could even be viable). Any thoughts, goon hivemind?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Owlbear Camus posted:

*on my deathbed, to my heirs as I bequeath them their inheritance of longboxes of unplayable draft chaff (the rares are going into my sarcophagus like the pharoahs of old)
"remember... bolt... ghhk... bolt the birds" *dies*
I will never forget the time I killed someone with a 14/15 Birds of Paradise, stealing a win by bluffing like it was just an idiot "because why the gently caress not" attack so he wouldn't block and then Mirari-ing a Might of Oaks.

Always shoot the birds.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Went 3-0 in draft last night, only dropped a single game. UR wizards is amazing if you can get the wizard enablers, and I grabbed Adeliz, the Cinder Wind p1p2. I got fed all the blue and red I could possibly want and more. Radiating Lightning is an absolute powerhouse; I cleaned out a saproling infestation with it in one game and made a few combats go from "terrible losing battle" to "this sweeps the board".

My best moment was the guy who didn't read Time of Ice, used Song of Freyalise to tap out and drop a Verdant Force. Went from "I need to draw some flyers ASAP" to "I just need to chump block the VF a couple times".

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

evilweasel posted:

i have created the new terror of modern, modern thallids

soul sisters can't do much when you can repeatedly kill the soul sisters :smugdog:

until games 2 and 3, where they reaize you just kill the deathspore thallids early and/or cast a suppression field
I would love to see this decklist.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

evilweasel posted:

this is it currently, though it's in very rough shape and the sideboard is mostly "things that might be worth considering" rather than anything perticularly thought through, the only stuff that is there as an actual sideboard card are nullmage shepherd and archtype of endurance (though that is probably bad and should get replaced with selfless spirit or the like, the goal would be to Chord it but if i need hexproof i don't have 3 mana + 8 creatures)

the basic theory is that you're looking to go wide by combining sproloth ancient and sporesower thallid to make every saproling-generating thallid produce 1 saproling a turn, and every non-generator produce one every 2 turns, then either attack for lethal or drain them with slimefoot by sacrificing to Germinator or Deathspore. Deathspore Thallid eats any small creatures early on, saprolings chump block (and frequently then get sacrificed before blocking damage).

The core way to get to mid-late game is, uh, hope. I need to work on that aspect: I may put the bone splinters back in but I took them out because sorcery speed is not great. I think I need to put more early thallid generators in - Thallids are too slow as a one-drop, sprout swarm is interesting because of the ability to generate a saproling out of nowhere but I may need saproling migration instead to get more saprolings early on.

The Chord of Callings I may have too many of, I wind up with one or two in my hand a lot but they're really loving useful once you have critical mass to cast stuff off less mana and to grab the piece you need. Collected Company is good while it remains mostly three drops or less but since the deck has enough stuff that doesn't get hit, they whiff more often than I'd like. Necrogenesis may be not worth it, it hasn't ever gone off in a game yet though there have been games i wished I had it in play. Psycotrope thallid seems bad and is probably not making the cut for long.

Everything besides the Chords/CoCos is basically free. There's probably other cheap cards I could put in but haven't yet (Flash Foliage just struck me as a card to try) that don't say "saproling" or aren't a fungus so I haven't noticed them yet.
I would probably drop a CoCo and a Chord for 2x Growing Rites of Itlimoc; it gets you a creature and is almost guaranteed to immediately flip into a gaea's cradle. maybe drop a couple Germinators for Utopia Mycon, as it's an extra 1-drop that also gets you some mana in a pinch; might even be worth going 3 each of mycon/thallid, or even 4/2 depending on how useful you find the point of power vs. the point of toughness+mana. Also, swap out the Windswept Heath for Verdant Catacombs, not sure why you're not using the fetchland that fetches both your land types. For the sideboard, maybe a couple Heroic Intervention would be useful? Saves all your guys from basically all the removal. Might also be worth finding a spot for a Fungal Plots or two, as that can be another good sac outlet for saprolings and draw you into whatever you need, plus get you a little longevity against faster decks.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 29, 2018

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

Uh, nobody calls other people out at all other than you because you're the only person who gets mad all the time about Magic: the Gathering. I don't care if something makes you mad because everything related to Magic makes you mad.
I'm gonna call you out on always trying to do some weird lame attempt at bandwagoning a day late because, as others have noted, you never read the loving thread. just do a quick ctrl+f for the post you're responding to and see if anyone got there before you the next time you try to do your thing.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

fadam posted:

What do you guys do when a brand new-ish player shows up to Modern night with a crappy deck?
If they're friendly and interested in getting better, I'll usually ask if I can go through their deck while asking them what their wincon is and how they plan to get there. Then I'll tell them "okay you're never going to get to play this because [reason]", "this is just a worse version of [card]", "this is good but you need to support with [stuff]", etc. I've had enough bad experiences with people getting pissy with me for even offering that I don't generally put myself out there anymore, though. As has been said, lots of people would rather blame external factors than improve and some get really incensed by the idea that there's anything they could do.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

Don't let your opponent keep Llanowar Elves on the board.
This is so incredibly true. You need to kill llanowars ASAP or else you're going to quickly find out why you should have.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Toshimo posted:

This is a real lovely story that reads like a 12-year-old wrote it, but it's about Chandra and Jaya and they own too much for even WotC to ruin so you should read it: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/return-dominaria-episode-8-2018-05-02
Yeah this is a story that could have been summed up entirely in two sentences plus the last paragraph.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Toshimo posted:

The comic is A++, tho:
Agreed. In fact, if they just posted comics instead of trying to squeeze out all this purple prose in a very sad "no I'm a real writer, honest!" attempt, it'd be a hundred times better.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Here's my take on that deck and I too am just getting back into Standard. I think Fungal Infection is way too good to not use, and I'm a big fan of Growing Rites with Slimefoot. Might go 3 Slimefoot 3 Dryad, since the dryad is really sort of a finisher for the deck but needs to get into position with saps first. Kinda wanna find a place for Helm of the Host, since that seems pretty good with either of those two attached, but it could also end up being a huge win-more.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Not running Tatyova, Benthic Druid? Seems like that would be a pretty natural late game creature for you.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Toshimo posted:

You sweet summer children. The best possible reprint for standard is:

Oh god, this in saprolings :circlefap:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

A fun thing to do in budget Saprolings is Driven // Despair. Pulling it off with even two guys is hilarious. More than that and it’s just a blowout.
I want to do this but I have absolutely no idea what I'd cut for it. Seems like it would be a blast with Song of Freyalise.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

You don’t need removal if your opponent doesn’t have any cards :getin:
I took out Fungal Plots and seems to run pretty nicely. Turns out "punch your opponent for cards" is a little better than "kill your poo poo for cards and maybe slimefoot shoots them too". Might put the plots in the SB for stompy or something if I find I need life gain.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

araeris posted:

it is way cheaper to print high quality proxies. Just don't support people selling bootlegs.
I am curious how you would do this, since the one is typically produced by the other.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mcmagic posted:

This is fair. But I beat the decks i lost to in the swiss plus there were mulligans involved and pretty large differences in quality of draws. Obviously it's my opinion but the deck did seem very strong.
In my experience a deck you "think is strong" before playing has about a 65% chance of being room temp garbage, whereas the deck you think is a pile of 1-2 color crap has about an 80% chance of taking you 6-0.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ShaneB posted:

Rhino's rule over KTK standard is a little overstated. There were tons of great decks that could deal with it, and abzan wasn't always the best deck to be playing.

But yeah it was certainly drat good.
IME the only people bitching about Siege Rhino were people playing decks with little to no real removal and just could not shut up about this one creature that was apparently the problem, not that they were trying to force RDW in a standard filled with lifelink and good removal.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

dragon enthusiast posted:

the issue isn't the casual REL it's the massive amount of clutter i have composed solely of worthless spindowns instead of something useful like d6es
If you don't like them, just give them away to people who do. New players loving love those things and giving them away generates good will.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

sit on my Facebook posted:

Origins was great! Especially if you were at a table full of good drafters.

M13 was indeed good though. Lots of the M## sets were fun limited environments actually. The problem with old core sets was just the relative lack of chase cards
I have unfairly high opinions about M12 because that was the prerelease I went 5-0 with a B/r deck featuring Druidic Satchel. I really wish they'd reprint that thing, it's such a limited powerhouse.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mikujin posted:

Chainer's Torment just seems bad without the token having trample or something to make it worth losing all that life.
Yeah, the token definitely needs trample or flying or something to be worth it, otherwise it's just two mediocre drains and a punch in the balls.

Wanna make a terrible deck based around donating a Chainer's Torment and Anointed Procession to my opponent, then passing the turn. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

BGrifter posted:

Fixed nine card packs with a stick of gum for $1.99 per pack. Identical cards to the original in every way. Plus a bonus insert card with MaRo making obscene hand gestures at the MTGFinance community.
The opposite side of the bonus insert is a line graph of the P9 prices, ending in a giant red line pointing straight down.