Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

its me glenda posted:

for anyone who was playing during that time, prop 3-15 was the loving worst thing ever

it really was. Didn't it only get used for like one major tournament though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Rinkles posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/products/iconic-masters

No set symbol... because it's actually a stylized black lotus??!?

I mean, a "core" set (I know it's not but whatever) without a set symbol would be an extra nostalgia box ticked

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Devor posted:

Ironic Masters

Well, I know what I'm calling it when it turns out to be full of trash

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

The idea is that when the contents of one booster can be worth $100 in the extreme case and effectively worthless at the other extreme, it's sort of like buying a lottery ticket rather than just purchasing some components for a game.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

I have some bad news

I suspect (I hope) he meant "more printings of existing QH artwork"

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Second opportunity from what?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Thanks for the clarification. Normally when I hear "given a second opportunity," I parse that as "hosed up the first time."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

joats posted:

So I am having a hard time understanding Angel of Sanctions rulings.

Angel of Sanctions
3WW
Creature — Angel
3/4
Flying
When Angel of Sanctions enters the battlefield, you may Exile target nonland permanent an opponent controls until Angel of Sanctions leaves the battlefield.
Embalm 5W (5W, Exile this card from your graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a white Zombie Angel with no mana cost. Embalm only as a sorcery.)

If Angel of Sanctions leaves the battlefield before its triggered ability resolves, the target permanent won't be Exiled.

This is different from every other O-ring effect, but the text on the card is not. Is this ruling bullshit?

It's not different from Banishing Light, IIRC.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Glidergun posted:

"Up to three target creatures are indestructible until end of turn" except in goofy Alpha-style wording.

The Alpha wording for indestructibility is actually surprisingly concise. It's just "cannot be destroyed".

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I like KCW's writing. I won't say it can never use an editor, but I generally don't expect random blogs to be professionally edited. Well, peace.

e: that being said, yeah, after rereading the comments to the art director interview, it should have some official corrections it looks like

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 30, 2017

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Hellsau posted:

so i guess i shouldn't post a link to my blog where i argue against the reserve list and how bad edh is and the latest absurd mtgo bugs i've run up against?

I think referring to this thread as your blog is stretching it a little

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

PJOmega posted:

"You may cast this creature from farming."

Cincinnatus legendary creature looking good, Roman Republic block confirmed

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

But then turn 4 Ulamog happens. Turns out cast triggers are stupid.

The problem they're running into is that beyond a certain point, mana costs really aren't an effective balancing tool. Of course, the problem is exacerbated by the relentless pushing of creatures in general. There have been ways to cheat or accelerate creatures into play for almost as long as Magic has been around, but when the creature you were getting was Verdant Force, Crater Hellion, or Angel of Despair, it was still relatively fair because those creatures are relatively fair. When it's Griselbrand or any of the Eldrazi Titans? Not so much.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I mean if they had an army of zombie tokens, what are you going to do, not cast Balance?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I wonder if someone's ever been gotten by unmophing a willbender in response to a split second spell.

I'm sure it has happened, and I'm equally sure that at least some of them have been utterly unable to comprehend why that works, even when you show them the rules that explain how morph is not a triggered ability

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

odiv posted:

When you don't have priority at least.

They'd obviously never print it, but I wonder if, from a purely rules-based perspective, there would be any problem with a Silence variant that said "Target player doesn't get priority for the rest of this turn."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

I long for the enchantment with the text "state based actions aren't checked"

Well, for one thing, this would mean that games could only be ended by cards/abilities that explicitly lose or win a player the game, since losing to life total, poison, decking, etc. are all SBEs. :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Attorney at Funk posted:

Another layer of people besides core designers to blame if future formats suck!
Nothing about this would be bad in a vacuum, but it also doesn't reassure me given what I've heard about WOTC's corporate culture.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Mikujin posted:

We live in a super connected era where you can make a bad joke on twitter and lose your job and be socially exiled before your plane lands and you can explain yourself.

Social justice is the kind of justice everyone can't wait to get behind (for all the wrong reasons).

It would probably help if everybody stopped acting like this constitutes social justice in any proper sense of the term (yes, I realize that there are some people who will shield themselves with the 'social justice' label in the course of getting their internet dogpile on-- point is, don't legitimize it.)

Dude rightfully has a much harder time trying to get employed at any sort of visible position now, but IMO it's not really justice if he's still hosed over ten or twenty years from now because he made a dumb tweet, the way some people seem to be gloating over. Social justice is good but, much like criminal justice, should be chiefly focused on rehabilitation and helping onetime offenders make good as members of society :)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Random cards off the top of the deck deciding who wins games is not fun gameplay WOTC. Stop making that a thing.

Technically, plenty of games are decided by random cards off the top of the deck. Marvel just makes it more obvious. :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

black potus posted:

Therapy is a card I can't see wotc putting into standard again because you have to actually think about things and if you suck it feels bad.

Eh. If you miss then you at least know that they don't have the card you didn't want them to have. That's not nothing, even if you obviously didn't want to pay B and a card for it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

bigperm posted:

No because then people will buy them.

Truly the bleakest of timelines for any manufacturer and/or retailer

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

InterrupterJones posted:

So a creature with Afflict X + Lure = game?

Also, it's definitely time to buy up Gitrog Monster.

I believe it will only trigger once regardless of the # of blocking creatures.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I'm legit disappointed that the entire Gatewatch ate poo poo and not just Jace

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Veyrall posted:

Imagine one of us submitted Bishop of Rebirth in, say, a color-shifted tribal contest. It's a mono-white vampire that sun titans back a cmc3 or less creature from the GY. Being mono-white doesn't fit the flavor for vamps, the sun titan ability has literally gently caress-all to do with anything vampires have ever done ever, and it has vigilance instead of lifelink OR flying. Nothing outside of the type line makes it feel vampiric in the slightest. Now, I get that this is the nu-Sliver problem all over again, and it probably won't be any problem to 99% of players, but it annoys me.

The color pie matters except when it doesn't because we said so

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

It might explain why Jace is a Planar Castaway playing pirate on some random plane, I guess. And then maybe Ajani has to spent time going around to collect them all back up because they all got scattered and mind wiped.

I am okay with this if it turns out that Gideon got married and opened a soul food restaurant.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

CFB should seriously have her write a tournament report.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

The smartest thing to do would be save them for the next Return sets for places like Ravnica/Mirrodin and break out the best-ofs of those planes. I assume they will be back for Dominaria in the same way next year.

Dominaria masterpieces should be old-frame versions of cards that have only ever been printed in the Modern frame.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Creatures having interesting drawbacks is just like anything else: if you properly design the environments for them (and then properly design the card itself, of course), people will want to play them; if you don't, then no poo poo they won't be hyped or played.

Throughout Magic's history, cards with what I'm sure we would today consider disqualifying drawbacks have been played, and not in an Ironclaw Orcs-style "well there's nothing better in this color so I guess" way, but in a "this is a genuinely powerful dude in this context and I am excited/happy to play it" way.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Mikujin posted:

Nykthos was a land; you may be thinking of Crypt Ghast which just added B to all the mana your swamp-typed lands produced.

Also devotion (in any form) wasn't in Standard at the same time as Griselbrand, I'm pretty sure.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Star Man posted:

The guy that owns the card shop in town used to be a manager at Wendy's. He had a fling with the health inspector that ended when she was over one night and while they were taking a shower together, she took a poo poo right in the tub.

Maybe the level of cleanliness at his restaurant made her think he'd be into it. Gotta be careful what signals you're sending.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Star Man posted:

No pacts because then there's an actual cost and consequence to my death.

Please get help, dude :smith:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Stop posting suicidal poo poo and get some help

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Star Man posted:

Casting Hazoret's Last Fervor and hitting a second copy of it and one or two burn spells that can target a player would be pretty funny. Even better if you rolled a third one.

Which means I know what at least one person in my meta is going to try and do it and they're going to get one good hit with Hazoret's Last Fervor out of every ten games.

Would it be more or less funny than reading the card?

Also, so this isn't just a mean post, I hope you're feeling better and getting help

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I do wish the horse were legendary so I could have a proper horse commander.

Horse commander needs to be 4/5 colors though so you can play all the *mares and other horses

Also needs to buff unicorns and pegasuses too

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Once the initial surprise wore off, Spiritmonger actually wasn't that oppressive because it was in an environment where Terminate, Wrath of God and Counterspell were still printable. Also you could just block it forever with a Nightscape Familiar, at least in theory.

Spiritmonger was an interesting experiment in that it showed that they could push the power level of creatures safely, as long as the answers/alternative gameplans were also good. Unfortunately fifteen years later they've forgotten the second half of that equation and here we are

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Wall of Glare because holy poo poo it can block ANY NUMBER of creatures??? Also I liked the art.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

mehall posted:

Wolfgang Elder took a Goblin Bidding list to the quarter finals of Worlds in 2003.

http://mtg.gamepedia.com/World_Championship_Decks

I don't have any comment on Goblin Bidding builds but I just wanted to observe that Wolfgang Elder sounds like the name of a card from Innistrad

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

OgreNoah posted:

Merfolk doesn't work well in EDH. I tried it once with white Sygg. One of my friends played Elesh Norn just once and the game was over for me. Nothing I could play would survive.

I was about to say something snarky like 'Too bad a deck with white in it doesn't have any way to remove creatures' but then I realize you probably meant Elesh Norn as a commander.

Good thing they cut the balls off of tuck effects so that there really is no way to make people's bullshit commanders go away forever, or at least for a significant amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Touche, I did mentally gloss over Meddling Mage and similar effects, I think because they were permanent-based solutions with the drawbacks that implies, whereas tucking was much closer to effective removal in the sense that Doom Blade would be for a regular creature.

I agree that it did suck if you got your silly theme commander sent away by all the tuck effects that people were running to deal with the bullshit. Personally, I tried to avoid tucking goofy or 'fun' commanders, but I suppose if that sort of social contract could be universally agreed or relied upon, annoying commanders wouldn't be a problem in the first place

Voyager I posted:

commander tax

Not a central part of your point, I know, but I just wanted to jump off of this to mention that part of the problem is that the commander tax isn't as effective a drawback in a format where the expectation is that many people will durdle forever and/or play All The Mana Acceleration.