Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
That has to be the quickest GP finals ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

AlternateNu posted:

Also, I just noticed they call the burn deck in the top 8 "Naya," but the only green spells are 4 Destructive Revelry in the sideboard.

This is standard practice. People rarely run Atarka's Command anymore.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
"What does a good 4 card hand even look like for Affinity?"

"Champion wins on mull to 4"

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I'm triggered

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Entropic posted:

lol

LSV: "They're taking longer to sideboard than game one took."

e:

And now the Affinity player who won game 1 in 2 turns is mulling to 4 at the start of game 2...

e2: and is winning lol wtf

Yeah, that was a crazy, crazy finals.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

logis posted:

"What does a good 4 card hand even look like for Affinity?"

"Champion wins on mull to 4"

I hate affinity so much. I hated it during the original Mirrodin, and I hate it now.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Affinity players: "What's that? Death's Shadow is the best deck in Modern? Let us show you how it's done."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

InterrupterJones posted:

Affinity players: "What's that? Death's Shadow is the best deck in Modern? Let us show you how it's done."

Grixis Death Shadow should be favored against affinity but it seems like some lists shaved down on some critical SB cards.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Great art on the thoughtseize invocation

https://twitter.com/eyesonthemise/status/876615366943936512

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The demon is possessing the human, and making the human say, "What's the deal with airline food?!"

Also the art box gets smaller and smaller every time I look at these invocations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I gotta say. The invocations really sucked. From their looking like complete poo poo to not having any real theme that made sense. There were just WAY too many of them too.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Huh, maybe I won't have to get a foil LOR Thoughtseize for my cube after all. I never did like either art very much.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Those finals were very entertaining

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Someone explain to me how every time I tuned in this weekend, LSV was waxing nostalgic about how Grixis Shadow was the best deck and all the best players were playing it and none of them T8'ed?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Wizards went a little too crazy with the Masterpieces after the first ones went over well.

They should have been a smaller number per set to start with (like 10-15 at most) and they never should have tried making them an Every Set thing.

Also, you know what would have been amazing? Not announcing Masterpieces until the day after the BFZ pre-release.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The smartest thing to do would be save them for the next Return sets for places like Ravnica/Mirrodin and break out the best-ofs of those planes. I assume they will be back for Dominaria in the same way next year.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Or just don't print so many masterpieces that you have to put in poo poo cards.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Have you guys had any experience drafting on cockatrice? I'm looking to practice my draft game skills without burning through money losing on MTGO.

FNM is only once a week, turns out.
I draft on cockatrice pretty much all the time. It depends on what you're looking for. The other poster who commented on this is right - it can take a little while to put 8 together and then once you do there may be drops during the drafting process itself and then you start over. Generally speaking though, it's unusual to have that whole thing take longer than 10-20 minutes if you're doing it at a peak time. Once you draft and build you generally play one match but there are frequently people who will want a second match (probably because they won their first one and have a good deck). So if you're looking for a full 3 match tourney then this probably isn't your platform. I like the drafting just as much as the playing so it works for me.

Peak times are at nights and weekends, it slows down during periods like early morning in the US. This isn't to say you can't draft then (I do it all the time) but more that your expectations should be set to more like 30-40 minutes. The drafts that fire fastest and most reliably are those devoted to whatever the current releases are, especially right after a new set comes out. Those you can draft as many times as you want for the weeks following the release. They're always filling up and always firing. Next up is MTGO vintage (Holiday) cube, then probably MTGO legacy cube, after that gimmick cubes like CHAOS which is hot for some reason right now. I haven't done flashback drafts enough to say for sure but I bet if you wanted to do something like a LOR draft at peak hours it'd fire eventually. The skill level is generally fairly low but this also varies by time - at peak times you get better players. At non-peak times you can get wild variance.

The short version is that it's not super easy to draft on cocka but I think the balance is more on the fun side than the annoying side of the scale. If you have specific questions about how to do it or anything shoot me a PM or reply here or whatever.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

GoutPatrol posted:

The smartest thing to do would be save them for the next Return sets for places like Ravnica/Mirrodin and break out the best-ofs of those planes. I assume they will be back for Dominaria in the same way next year.

Dominaria masterpieces should be old-frame versions of cards that have only ever been printed in the Modern frame.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Dominaria masterpieces should be old-frame versions of cards that have only ever been printed in the Modern frame.

Bring back the futureshifted frame.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Hellsau posted:

Bring back the futureshifted frame.

I want this so bad

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
time spiral block is the only block i feel did 3 set blocks right. each set is different but linked by the idea of time, it's so cool, even if future sight is a beautiful mess of ideas individually

basically i want the old frames, the planeshift frames, and the futureshift frames all to be included. but i suppose the new block is about the unfractured time stream or whatever the story of time spiral was supposed to be

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

mcmagic posted:

I gotta say. The invocations really sucked. From their looking like complete poo poo to not having any real theme that made sense. There were just WAY too many of them too.

Counterpoint: Hazoret the Pervert is great.

That said, yeah. They should have either gone in harder on the egypt theme with the actual art being hieroglyphic-y, or they should have reduced the frame a lot to give that great art space to breathe, and there should have been fewer of them. They do look way better in person than they do online, though (still not great, but a lot better)

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Hellsau posted:

You can say "cards from the current set" instead of "poo poo cards"

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
The pick-a-plane sealed gimmick on MTGO is pretty great. 6-0 so far with Mirrodin and Zendikar.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm 2-1 with Mirrodin and Dominaria, 1-2 with Innistrad and Ravnica.

I'd like to say I had lovely pools, but it was probably mostly me.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure Mirrodin is the best. I only beat my Mirrodin opponent because I had my 1x main deck artifact removal for LoxoHammer both times and he only drew his Elesh Norn once.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This 17 land 4 sleight of hand grixis shadow list that Ari Lax posted is what is actually gonna get it banned.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Hellsau posted:

Yea this is the answer.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mcmagic posted:

This 17 land 4 sleight of hand grixis shadow list that Ari Lax posted is what is actually gonna get it banned.

Toshimo posted:

Someone explain to me how every time I tuned in this weekend, LSV was waxing nostalgic about how Grixis Shadow was the best deck and all the best players were playing it and none of them T8'ed?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

It seemed very good but lets give it a week before we declare this just yet.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Ari version or not, it's not unreasonable to say that grixis death's shadow is the best deck in the format.

And it's also not unreasonable to say that nothing should be banned from it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pontius Pilate posted:

Ari version or not, it's not unreasonable to say that grixis death's shadow is the best deck in the format.

And it's also not unreasonable to say that nothing should be banned from it.

It is in fact fairly unreasonable to state that a deck which saw zero copies played in the top eight of the Grand Prix this weekend is the best deck in the format.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I really like the Esper Control and Jeskai Flash lists from this Modern top 8.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=114223

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=114224

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The Shortest Path posted:

It is in fact fairly unreasonable to state that a deck which saw zero copies played in the top eight of the Grand Prix this weekend is the best deck in the format.

It still could be reasonable to say it's the best deck, but overall had poor luck over this weekend.

It's completely laughable to claim that not only is it the best deck, it's somehow so dominant that it needs to be banned.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

The Shortest Path posted:

No it isn't? Top 8 is an arbitrary metric and one GP is a questionable sample size. By your metric skred red is a clearly better deck than grixis death's shadow.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pontius Pilate posted:

No it isn't? Top 8 is an arbitrary metric and one GP is a questionable sample size. By your metric skred red is a clearly better deck than grixis death's shadow.

Any time a format has had a clearly-defined "best deck", it has shown up consistently and pervasively in multiple large tournaments. That is not the case for Death's Shadow.

It's certainly a good deck, but there's no real argument for calling it the best. Modern is in a good place right now.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

wow my friend got T16 at the Modern portion of GP Vegas

I didn't even know he was going

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

wow my friend got T16 at the Modern portion of GP Vegas

I didn't even know he was going

Was he playing Grixis Shadow, because if he was I think this might be the tipping scale towards banning the deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
The invocations are cool and good.