Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I haven't played magic since M13, before Return to Ravnica came out, but WAR looks like a really exciting set so I'm coming out of retirement to play limited this weekend.

What are some of the newer rules I should be aware of? Like I know about the new legendary and planeswalker rule--my opponent and I can both have our own copy of Jace on the battlefield. I know there's a vancouver mulligan now and I scry 1 after deciding to keep after mulliganing, but there's some newer mulligan rule?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

lol I don't understand, they renamed the PT to numbered "Mythic Championship"?

That new mulligan rule seems insanely good and makes a lot of decks much more consistent.

I'm excited for WAR limited, it seems like a slower format and potentially grindy so I hope I open a good blue planeswalker.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

vegetables posted:

I want “spells” to be replaced by a different word because it’s weird that creatures are spells, but I’m not sure a resonant word for “all cards” exists. In a weird way “summon” made this more intuitive; you can understand the creature card is also a spell instantly.

A planeswalker wizard dude like you casts spells, so it makes sense when creatures are spells because you do summon or cast them. They just got rid of the summon word because angry moms didn't want their kids to summon demons.

In other news, I went undefeated in my prerelease today and I love this limited format. Certain common spells feel so powerful and it feels great playing control.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

ChromiumCrush posted:

lol a 4/4 Menace for 5 is not a bomb and Massacre Girl barely ever triggers in limited. There aren't very many X/1's and proliferate puts the board out of range very quickly.

lol then don't be surprised when that card wrecks you in limited

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Entropic posted:

If they implement MTGO style draft leagues (draft against humans but then play your matches whenever against whomever), Arena will be doing basically everything I want from it.

Ya. This plus seasonal cube drafts, and a way to play legacy. Then I'd be playing Arena so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

If you're playing 4 faithless looting, you're not looking to do anything fair at all. It wasn't "fine", it's a really good engine that defined the metagame and sped up the format a lot. Saying complaints only came from blue mages is kinda dumb since modern was never really a pure control format, especially as it started out having all the key blue spells being banned. Also, blue mages loving love phoenix.