Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Can he be speaker and prime minister at the same time?
Would make PMQs, which should be scrapped anyway, a bit of a disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Bulgakov posted:

is he a drunk???

beyond usual baseline british standards

the uk might be in the mood for another boozy and strong pig-like leader in the style of churchill right now
This is what Bojo and Farage are. There is enduring appeal from thick cunts for them.

Captain Splendid posted:

Ken Clarke is also someone that's been mooted for being interim PM because he used to be a Tory without being a piece of poo poo.

Now he's just not a piece of poo poo.
mug opinion

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I've run the numbers through a special computer, and Mhairi Black should be the interim PM on the grounds that she's not 200 years old, and it would be fun.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Hexyflexy posted:

There is no loving way the libdems are going to get much more than the previous election, who the hell would the voters be?
There has not been a by-election since the EU election where Labour and the Lib Dems were both running and they didn't lose share to the Lib Dems. In fact Labour has not increased their vote share in a single election all summer other one (1) where there was a Labour candidate for the first time and they got 10% of the vote after the Greens (previously on 5%) decided not to run a candidate.

Never mind the useless polls, in actual elections that have happened IRL and everything Labour is getting their votes trimmed by the Lib Dems.

It's not good, but it is happening.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

oliwan posted:

The Guardian:

(this is about extinction rebellion protests)

XR is a met inside job but this is also pretty lol.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I do like how to goons every protest is just a gov psych op.

no true protest
They explicitly encourage people to get arrested and indeed send letters to the police informing on themselves and those around them.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Old Story posted:

so when no-deal Brexit hits and the pound collapses, presumably making tourism extremely affordable if you can avoid the roving cannibal mobs, what's worth seeing over there?
The planet's dying and all we have is tat. Don't fly here.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Noodles came from China and tomatoes from America, so I have to assume for several centuries Italian food was just like, eggplant stew and olive oil
Loads of chickpeas, broad beans, wheat and barley, too.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Randler posted:

Do Brits even have a standard ID card that would trivialize this or is it a US-style "Discourage poors from voting" trick?
No.

BMX Ninja posted:

Voting in NI has required ID for as long as I can remember. Either a passport or the photo ID card part of a driver's license. Or you can go to the nearest Electoral Office with proof of address and get your photo taken and they send out an Electoral ID card within a few days.
And if that doesn't work you have to spell "D'Hondt formula" and they might let you into the booth.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

tbf, this would work if even just 10% of the country went and did it because what are the cops gonna do, they can't jail literally millions of people (yet).
The cops would just put everyone on license and take their property from them.

XR is a police trap for well meaning people. This is why they their "leaderless movement" organises campaigns to get its membership arrested, and disrupts public transport.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Vapor Moon posted:

Brexit best be done by the time of my next break.
It's never done.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pancakes posted:

Boris refusing to write the letter?
He is saying that he refuses to engage with the EU and that laws don't affect him etc. etc.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol

can parliament remove Boris from office or is that only the queen (I thought she was a figurehead with no powers)?
Parliament can't remove the PM since who gets to be PM is an internal party matter for the people running the government.

It can vote no confidence in the government, which forces a new election unless there is another motion passed which says that on reflection people do have confidence in the government within 14 days (worth pointing out Bojo tried to do this to his own government and couldn't get the votes to do it, meaning he failed to pass a no confidence vote in himself).

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

spacemang_spliff posted:

my god that is confusing

so basically brexit continues to simultaneously happen and not happen for all of eternity?
There has always been brexit, and there will always be brexit.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is absolutely 100% wrong.
No, it isn't.

Parliament passing a VONC in a PM doesn't mean anything, and has no effect whatsoever.

If they put a VONC in on the government and then decide on a new PM they decide to have confidence in, that's a different matter.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Bryter posted:

To be pedantic, then, parliament could pass a no confidence motion in Boris Johnson's government, and the appointment of any prospective replacement would be conditional on their commanding the confidence of the house.
Right, but they can't precision target the PM with a confidence vote that is legally binding and specific to the PM, there has to be the risk of a general election or a vote that says "actually the government is fine. sorry. never mind."

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Bryter posted:

A PM is just the head of a government. The idea of "precision targeting" the PM separately is meaningless.
I agree but that doesn't mean Labour hasn't floated voting no confidence in the PM (and May before Bojo) despite the fact that it doesn't mean anything at all or have any impact on anything.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

twoday posted:

It's been ridiculous the whole time, it's barely a word, but it's the only one on anyone's lips. The proliferation of such a crude portmanteau to the highest reaches of power and most official channels is a wonderful example of the destablizing capabilities and idiocy of the ideas which the word represents. It's one of the most beautiful words in the english language, in a way, because it takes a thousands of years of resentment and history and politics and culture, as well as a complex seemingly endless and nightmarish situation and condenses it into two simple and ugly syllables. It rolls off my tongue like a mouthful of chalk dust, and says everything I could hope to much better than I ever possibly could. Brexit.
Also, it rhymes with Grexit, which nearly happened before the Brexit process even began.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
2 people are chiefly responsible for Brexit:

1) Mike Gapes, who decided the options should be Leave or Remain, instead of Stay or Depart.
2) Ebrahim Rahbari, whose term "Grexit" was easily repackaged as Brexit.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The beautiful author of this article about why the Iraq War was good lol

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/03/i-ve-been-through-divorce-i-know-what-divorces-are-mike-gapes-pain-leaving

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Dravs posted:

That makes me mad, toad in the hole is the easiest thing to cook. It's just sausages and batter FFS.
Idk getting the batter just so instead of slightly overdone / underdone can be tricky.

But also a meal for 1 toad in the hole is tragic.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Grondoth posted:

It still hasn't been voted on?
Meaningful vote 4-2/5 is tuesday!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Does the UK have a slave labor class of undocumented immigrants, like the US does?
Yes, modern slavery is a concern here, although it isn't just about undocumented immigrants, it's also about vulnerable british/EU adults who ordinarily have the right to be here.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
"Unlike #FBPE, of course."

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Paranoid Peanut posted:

im a slug; i hiss at salt

HISSSSS
this is problematic to People of Means.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

oh but seriously I posted:

so what is happening now i do not keep up with the papers it upsets me?
Briternity unfolds anew.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

so, general election when
Depends if/when they agree what the date is.

If both sides hyped an election and both failed to get one passed that would be Very 2019.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

i say swears online posted:

little britain was maybe some of the worst television i've ever watched
Wonder if they'll show up blacked up to their recording session for old time's sake.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

monkeytennis posted:

So which party should I vote for in the upcoming mega-election? I live in South Yorkshire and wanted to remain.
You should almost certainly vote Labour.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

AnoHito posted:

you should vote for an anti-brexit party, such as:
the greens and lib dems are the two major (ish, for the greens) outwardly anti brexit parties you can vote for in England.

There's also the SNP in Scotland, Plaid in Wales, SF, and the SDLP or Fianna Fail (whichever they're running as this coming election) in northern ireland. I don't know if the UUP is anti brexit but the DUP has eaten their lunch anyway.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
No 9th december election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Thom12255 posted:

The deputy speaker isn't nearly as good.
She's new, give her a chance.