Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
If h3h3 had any self-reflection or shame they would remove that video. They copied someone's pee themed content, recreated it, and complain they are't making the same money. That is Ethan's model anyway. I would tolerate, even respect him, if he did that alone. But instead, he grandstands about free speech when its really about making money for no effort.

Youtube doesn't screw over its creators. Youtube has let people get away with a lot. It will be a year or two of complaining before people move on or learn how to get monetized again. If anything, they are cracking down on their lazy creators like Ethan and the hate speech people.

temple fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Crain posted:

A surprisingly interesting look at this "adpocolypse" from SA's favorite son:

https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/h3h3-productions-and-the-state-of-youtube-advertising
TB said what most people know, that h3h3 was making poo poo up. Most tubers know about google prefered and how the ads work. Which is why h3h3 is really dumb for making that video. Its just a sympathy/self promo thing.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Low Desert Punk posted:

What is it about gaming that attracts this type of ideology anyway? It's not like every other traditionally "nerdy" hobby is just as toxic and horrible, gaming is by far the worst, with maybe comics at second place.
Immaturity. Peter Pan syndrome. Anonymity online.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The collective consciousness of Jews, channeled through the state of Isreali, under the guidance of the ADL, posted "you suck" under my video.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

RLM became mean spirited and, combined with their insular attitude towards the greater internet, makes them ripe for adoption by the certain elements. Their nerdcrew parody can viewed as taking snowflakes down a peg. Its wink and nod that may not be intentional but readily appreciated by youtube idiots. I was always apprehensive about RLM because their kind of humor could swing in any direction but they mostly go for the absurd instead of spiteful. But I wouldn't be surprised if they went on a rant about the urban community needing to pull their pants up.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

So, conservatism is unpopular. He really has no explanation other than....

This is really good rebuttal to the moral majority.

temple fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 16, 2017

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I've always thought that women would best men in gaming eventually because women tend to be more disciplined as a group.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

khwarezm posted:

Dodgy gender essentialism aside, the physical differences argument you see in real sports doesn't apply with videogames and I think it will be quite interesting to see how things develop in E-sports as more and more women filter into what has so far been a super male dominated arena with the reduction of social pressures that typically made games, especially 'hardcore' games, something girls weren't meant to play.

IDK but I think it was assumed that women have better fine motor skills and muscle endurance. Its isn't biotruths because it doesn't inform behavior.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

The Neo-Nazi fascination with video games and anime is so weird to me since old school Nazis hated stuff that was modern and not European. Neo-Nazis idolizing Duke Nukem seems fitting since it's a hypermasculine relic from decades past whose most recent incarnation sucks. Also fashwave seems pointless since it's indistinguishable from regular mall music without knowing who made it. Nice cameo by the dude from They Live since misinterpreting movies is common with the alt-right crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xf4urgGANQ
That's basically 70s soul 80s pop primary played by black people. The guitar gives it away, white boys don't play it like that. I wonder if these guys like Earth Wind & Fire.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Lovechop posted:

god drat the NoBS guy is so loving stupid and ignorant it's absolutely unreal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9VmmJ9iz8I

my blood would be boiling

Reactionary movements are always about sex. The same topics cycle like seasons.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Joe is just another "regular guy" that talks about politics in a way that appeals to people who hate politics. The difference is he's savvy to internet trends.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Harrow posted:

I think Pewdiepie is self-aware enough to know that him making a huge deal out of it probably wouldn't lead to anything productive. He's a little poo poo, yes, but he isn't a crusading little poo poo. Up until now, at least, he doesn't really seem like the kind of guy who'd respond to this by suing on principle, y'know?
He's going to lawyer but lol if you pdp won't bitch endlessly about it. You see how he acted about the (((washington post))).

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Pretty sure it's the WSJ he's upset at. For an article 4 years ago.
You're right. He's going to bitch though. At least passive aggressively for a while. I find pdp to funny sometimes (the more current satirical stuff) but he's flirting with danger and he knows it.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Who What Now posted:

People keep saying he's satirical. What exactly is he satirising?
He satirizes his critics and himself. One video he was playing a WW2 game to prove he wasn't a nazi. So he shot hitler in the nuts and he started fading away like marty mcfly.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

"Gamers are idiots for saying the n word. IDK why I said it but I'm sorry for the 73rd time"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLdxuaxaQwc

temple fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 12, 2017

temple
Jul 29, 2006

That guy Destiny that debates the alt-light used to be a video game streamer. Maybe he still is. But he's no longer relevant in SC2 so he transitioned into something else.

Right now is the golden age for this youtube stuff. Pewdiepie is an example of the future. I waiting for youtube personalities to get prettier and better produced. It has to trend that way or it has to become less profitable for an skilled creator. Its entertainment after all and these fat angry dudes will age and won't relate anymore. They will have to do something else.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Maluco Marinero posted:

The thing is, the programmers who get paid all the big bucks now to sling code back and forth, they're not really doing truly novel work TODAY. They're still building off the shoulders of academics who put the work into the algorithms, who did the novel research. The majority of programmers (and I am one, I'm including myself here) are pulling together established work using a degree of workmanship and creativity to achieve a business goal, using the tools available to us.

The women Damore looked down on in his comments only had a different job by degrees of it being a new job, and different limitations. They were just as much programmers as the male dominated programming industry is now.
This. Most programming is like using a recipe. Chefs rarely create original recipes. At most, they can apply past techniques in new contexts. Very few computer scientists come up with new algorithms that change the way people solve problems. Once my girl programmers figure out that algorithms can be applied to any software, they usually excel because finding the right algorithm is no different than reading a book for the right equation. The real thinking is adapting that algorithm. If women can be chefs or doctors or scientists, then what is different about programming? This is more mythologizing coding as alchemy and Tony Starks boy genius bs.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I was comp sci but it was attached to the engineering school of my university. Growing up, I was in engineering clubs. Most engineers I knew were bitter jerks aka nice guys. Compared to others; they were betas to jocks, felt smarter than business/frat guys, thought they were cooler than med/science types, and imagined themselves more macho than arts types. They felt entitled because their classes were allegedly harder than everyone else's. Engineering attracts men with ego but fear of confrontation. They love indirect competition. Grades, credit hours, projects, I knew guys that would calculate the total number of points earnable then brag about making 500/575 points in the course. This was consistent from my teenage years to adulthood. Its not compulsory thing like OCD or autism. It was a neurotic thing. The kind of person with a 300 slide presentation for a 5 minute speech. They had to be better than someone somewhere but couldn't admit their own flaws. So they have to criticize everyone else. It was sad to watch them for idk 6-8 years growing up. Most cool guys I knew usually went into different fields post grad. I did. The ones who stated in ENG are hard to hang with people.

OwlFancier posted:

Why does programming give people more of a god complex than physics despite physics being far more deserving of the title?
I think programming can be lonely, so coders tend to be in their own head. Even with other coders. Programming requires solving problems and having such a strong sense of internal logic that coders become really really independent thinkers. That makes you kind of stubborn too.

temple fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 26, 2017

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Midig posted:

Ok, youtube demonetization has gone too far!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppcYoem3URo

Just in case people might get the wrong idea. This dude reviews fast food, he's not a rational.

So glad this is happening. Youtube is so dumb and I've been predicting ad-o-pocolypse.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Anyone that gives a platform to Sam Hyde is a motherfucker and deserves whatever they get. Nazi sympathetizers love the artistic merit argument, which is second to freedom of speech. Fantano is really naive is he thinks anyone to the left of trump buys the artistic merit of Hyde. Fader definitely wrote a hit piece on Fantano but they were a closer to the truth than he wants to admit.

Spoony made an ultima series and I appreciated the hell out of it as someone too young or poor to play ultima in its time. But spoony comes of as a narcissist and yes, even narcissists experience depression when their supply is removed. The way he alienated his fans and purged his following from any criticism came off as typical megalomania. He deserves sympathy for his brain problems but that doesn't lessen the danger and toxicity of a narcissist.

These youtube guys don't understand that nazis are a legitimate threat to minorities, women, immigrants, gays, and trans. This isn't a political debate, there is no argument to win. People fear for their and their loved ones' survival.

temple fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 7, 2017

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Goon Danton posted:

Gonna be honest here, Sam Hyde is a new name to me. What's his deal?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBXEvHv3Vjs

temple
Jul 29, 2006

What is Laci Green's politics? There is a subgroup of people that never really state their opinion but hover around the alt-right like Boogie or h3h3 ( I guess Fantano now too).

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's the best one. It has a dream like quality to its story that is much better than the masturbatory self referencing of the third game. Three took the lore and just threw everything into the trash and shouted 'hope you want to know more about Gwynn and his extended family!'. Unfortunately for me that'd be a no.
Dark Souls 2 is worse with imitation versions of everything from DS1. That video let me know that I don't have to agree with everything hbomberguy says.
Dark Souls lore is never what people say, its 10 things to 10 people. There is no one 1 correct way to interpret it.

temple fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 12, 2017

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Falstaff posted:

Reagan was wracked with guilt for having sexual feelings for his wife, so the chances of him being unfaithful seem rather low to me.

IIRC, Lincoln wrote some very modest and loving things about his wife, though that might fall under the category of "doth protest too much," I dunno.
Lincoln may cheated on his wife on his wife but it wasn't with a woman :ssh:
Just come out already

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The original uncle ruckus. I used to listen to him on the net before podcasts were a thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK4XhR0lYlE

edit: I think he was one of those radio hosts that followed rush, depending on your area. That should tell you everything you need to know.

temple fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 1, 2017

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Somfin posted:

How the gently caress do you counter it without just calling it out?
Timed responses.
Limit to answering or responding to one question/topic at a time.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

You can engage with whoever you want. People today suck at it and its better if they didn't. William Buckley engaged with a lot of people like James Baldwin and Macolm X. They didn't shrink from the opportunity because they were used to arguing their points and they had major stakes in winning. This youtube crowd argues to argue and they couldn't convince a person to save their life. As much as I like Contra or H bomber guy, they only convince those that are already think like them or are leaning. Ridicule only goes but so far and due to the daily show and stuff like that, people think ridicule is convincing.

I used to watch hours of youtube with various black religious/non religious types debating everything under the sun. Over time, the wheat is separated from the chaff and topics progress. Its because those guys have stakes in winning people's ears and eyes. They are passionate about it. Luckily, the more rational types have been winning but its constantly changing. The moral is Destiny and Contra should be dunking on the alt-right regularly. They don't so maybe they shouldn't be the ones engaged. There isn't enough personalities to develop a hierarchy, so whoever has a webcam and editing skills gets the most opportunities.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Violence owns and is hard coded in our reptile brain. Democracy is good at curbing unnecessary violence until we can do full communism.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Sargon's claim to fame is having a british accent.
That's it.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

There is a neurotic cycle of people debating the right for the wrong reasons. Debating them to share ideas or reach their audience is stupid. You debate them to prove them wrong and defeat their ideology in a non-violent way. Their audience isn't ignorant to the left's points and needing to be engaged. They didn't reason their way into their beliefs and you won't reason them out of being willfully ignorant. Debate them to avoid shooting them later. The left or centrist sorta believe the fallacy of civil debate that the right uses when the right has no intention on civility or openmindness. For whatever reason, centrists are afraid of confrontation and they agonize over stating their world view as correct and to be defended. Contra (I'm assuming) thinks she needs to open to the door to the right but really it doesn't matter. The openminded or rational ones will reach a point (like she did) regardless. Being confrontational doesn't prohibit people for hearing her points. This whole catering to the lost sheep is just providing cover for the right to present their ideas as valid. Its allowing them to teach the controversy.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

TGLT posted:

It's not a video game where if you get enough debate points an announcer shouts ANTIFA WINS and the nazis have to wait until the next round to try again. There is no defeating an ideology in debate except by convincing people that they're wrong, thereby starving them of support. And "you can't reason some one out of a position they didn't reason themselves into" is just dumb self aggrandizing poo poo. No, right wing ideas are not based on sound logic, but there are still reasons people believe in them. They're humans, not chaos elementals, and that "can't reason" adage is just a way to explain why your super cool rational logic isn't winning the day like Socrates while exempting you from actually trying to understand how people get to that point.

I'm not saying you can win them over with good civil debates. Most people who stake out a public position aren't going to get swayed by that, and most people don't really care what some rando says, but there is a legitimate need to understand how people fall into stupid garbage beliefs other than "well they're just crazy and irrational."
You aren't going to defeat ideology with a debate, its a substitute for violence. Its a confrontation.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

TGLT posted:

I mean you're the one that said it was a non-violent way to "defeat their ideology". But if you're not flipping anyone then you're not actually defeating anything you're just doing it to feel good, and at that point masturbation's a lot easier.
People change themselves. I don't mean defeat literally. Hope this helps.

edit: And there is no governing body that will declare a victory but the attempt and purpose (my point) was to defeat the ideology. So now, you cant literally do it but you debate in that effort. You don't do it to listen to them or sway them.

temple fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 25, 2017

temple
Jul 29, 2006

TGLT posted:

So what you're saying is people do need to be engaged with and that you can convince them to stop being "willfully ignorant"?

Okay, this is the problem. If you aren't doing it to sway them, how exactly are you proposing they change? Do you think people just spontaneously become good? Or do you think the only merit to a debate is to an audience who is totally undecided?
You can't convince them, you resist them and their ideas. They will decide where they stand. Fascism, racism, sexism, etc....should be confronted because it hurts people.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

TGLT posted:

I'm specifically reusing Temple's terms to address the idea that people can't be convinced, since if they can't be convinced I'm not sure how Temple expects them to change anyways. The value of a non-violent confrontation, ie debate, is that it can avoid a violent confrontation later by helping people change. That or intimidation, but there are way better ways to intimidate people than saying "Hey I think you're wrong and here's why."

Because I keep telling you over and over that you don't debate them to change them. gently caress stop responding to me with that same point.

You debate them to prove them wrong and confront that their ideas.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Most people shouldn't engage with nazis because most people are terrible at arguing with them. Nazis, racists, etc... are always arguing in bad faith. But twitter is good for finding sick burns that anyone can use. Unfortunately, people try to follow up those burns and just ruin the momentum.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

Also I missed this but man, the bad things keep rolling for her lately and it's making me kind of nervous, these people are poison.

Like look at this piece of poo poo, this isn't someone to play buddy with.

https://twitter.com/MsBlaireWhite/status/930148238287450112

https://twitter.com/MsBlaireWhite/status/933086180752572416
This is whole coopting language thing has to stop working if everyone does it. I stared at these tweets for 5 minutes.

The drink throwing was probably staged (I hope).

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Ash Crimson posted:

Sad to see Contra throwing her fellow trans under the bus for a chance to "debate"
This is an exaggeration. You are throwing her under the bus for talking to conservatives. This is why people turn away from the left because people play purity politics over minor things. Contra isn't performing at the RNC or hosting a show on fox news. She is going to a trans event hosted by conservatives.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

She not fundraising for them. She going to their event to debate or discuss whatever. I don't know but she isn't going to be sympathetic towards them. You may choose to cut all interaction with the alt-right and I respect that. But she isn't an enemy of yours or ally of them because she shows up.

I would draw the line at her making money and doing this regularly. But going to an event here and there isn't throwing trans people under the bus. It isn't even remarkable consider everything else she does.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

business hammocks posted:

Do you not believe appearing at the event helps them make money?
Yes it helps them, however, I think the event would happen with or without her.

temple fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

business hammocks posted:

But if you choose to become part of the show, aren’t you choosing to use your labor to help them make money? So if Contrapoints wasn’t involved she wouldn’t be helping them to make money?
I understand what you are saying. You understand what I'm saying. We disagree what supporting means. In what situation would be acceptable for her to engage conservatives? Where Contra wouldn't be providing some form of support with her presence?

• Locked thread