Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

PenguinKnight posted:

Nerds have conflated length of something to quality. "How can a post about how black people are subhuman be wrong? Look at all of the sources! (ignore that the sources are full of poo poo)" is a really common thing on reddit. Like 40 godawful biased, manipulated stories means that something is automatically correct.

These are also the same idiots that dismiss liberal arts and social studies as irrelevant because they're not "fact" so they probably missed Shakespeare's line about brevity being the soul of wit.

Also any real effort at communication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I think Shaun explains it best. It's basically a surrogate identity for being straight white.

I know that anecdote != data, but after years of having bartended quite a number of weddings, the one thing I can say is that all of the white-bread non-ethnic couples have usually had to find some kind of surrogate culture to add to their wedding. In my area, it's usually redneck, but "nerd" weddings (Including an actual life-size TARDIS) fit the bill, too.

They're also usually pretty terrible drinkers, too.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

I love the complaints about now not being able to be hired as a result of a hate speech arrest. Isn't the whole point of "free speech" is that it allows others to call you a prick if you are in fact acting like a prick?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh my god. This might have been the funniest thing I saw all day. I'm not sure if it's the inspirational cloud background, him pretending to play the piano, or HOLY poo poo! your trying to parody John Lennon.

I'm crying.

Let's not forget that despite all the super important an-cap ideas, he still doesn't answer the "Who will build the roads?" question.

"Who will build the roads? Uh... I'm sure we'll figure it out. It's not important."

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

rkajdi posted:

I thought he was talking about notch. That guy made all his money independent of the man-o-sphere types. That's an okay description of Gamergate, though it falls into the trap of putting too much emphasis on top versus the bottom. The leader types are symptom. The cause is the mass of disposable male losers that made up the mob of the movement.

Disaffected male youths who see another group undeservedly receiving advantages and benefits in life that they believed were actually owed to them?

Makes sense.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Deified Data posted:

I'm surprised they didn't use that one pic of PJW that portrays him as a smoldering hunk instead of the precious basement dweller he is.

The worst part about that picture of him is the terrible flat lighting that just makes them look even worse than usual.

It's the same problem I have with The Amazing Atheist. What is it with the goddamn flat lighting that just exposes every single facial blemish?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Who the hell is this guy, anyway? I've never heard of him.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

business hammocks posted:

Also what's with giving Aurouni's plastic skull its own slot? And why is Aurouni not at maximum cringe? His fake skull is downright dignified compared to him.

Molyneux outshines him in that regard. I mean, Aurini's beliefs are filtered through his masculine totem persona (the smoking, the drinking, etc.) but he's not full-blown crazy like Molyneux.

Also, how dare you drag McCarther into this! And yes, that graphic misspells his name.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

No Fap is due to the belief/theory the whole fapping releases testosterone and fapping too much releases too much testosterone from your body and makes you "weak"

Really? poo poo, I thought it was like a self-discipline thing. Like, "let's show or bodies who's in control".

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Groovelord Neato posted:

i would say destiny's debates aren't for making johnathon tronathon or sargon not be mouth breathing poo poo eaters but more for young nerds watching this poo poo going hey these guys got destroyed by pretty simple arguments i don't wanna be dumbasses like them.

It's the same reason why people here encourage a good faith argument even if the other person is obviously trolling or an idiot: you can't convince someone directly they're an idiot, but a lurker with potential sympathies has no ego to guard and is more receptive to arguments.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

One can only attain true rationality when one is detached from caring about anything*.

*not including themselves.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Frogfingers posted:

John Connor from Los Angeles, come on...

I watched the first four minutes while getting ready for work this morning. Please tell me the remaining 14 minutes have even more gold like:

"It's common knowledge that different races have different abilities."
"Uh huh. I want to know if I'm talking to an idiot or a smart person. What race are you?"
"...I don't see what my race has to do with anything."

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

I know this is weird, but that might be the best image of Carl I've ever seen. Like, he looks normal, just hanging out, instead of whatever the image he always tries to present on camera.

Frogfingers posted:

/pol/ opinions evaporating in real time. Dude being laughed at until they ask about his sexual history, then it gets personal. I've never heard of this show before, this is great.

gently caress I can't wait to get home then.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

:lol: Sargon's now changed his Twitter name to "Garbage Human". He's really taking it in stride, I see.

What's sad is that I felt that was important.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

And they're probably just smart or spineless enough not to start anything in person

Yeah, I thought part of the whole point of being a YouTube star was so you wouldn't have to interact with people on a daily basis.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

NikkolasKing posted:

https://twitter.com/GarrettGirton/status/878156041254445056

It's nice to see some consistency.

"For years they called us racists and misogynists. Well, let's throw the N Word around and tell women they are only suitable for reproduction. That'll show 'em!"

Now "call us garbage, will you? Then we will wear the label proudly!"

I'm not surprised. This is a subset of the same people that were happy to wear the label "deplorable".

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i have been bordly watching sargon stuff for the last few days. how does anyone like him? i am not even talking about the lovely politics or his lovely attempts at "covering up" how terrible they are. he is just isnt entertaining or interesting. he is just so loving boring and long winded. its just him bitching and comparing himself to voltaire.

I think we've said this before, but he really sounds like a talk radio host. The only difference is that his audience is at an even lower level than the average talk radio listener.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah but i listen to podcasts/radio all the time and he is terrible at it.

Like I said, lower level. Being on the radio means you at least have to have some standard. Carlgon is just... there. The fact that he actually has followers is astonishing. He should be a nothing.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

:perfect:

That is fantastic.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

WampaLord posted:

Which is why it's weird to show him pulling that off early on. It would be more effective if we slowly realize all his power is projection and he's actually a rookie.

Yeah, it was like, "Whoa, super powerful!" but then he gets depowered later on in the movie.

It's my secret hope that the twist later in the series is that Snoke is just a despot and not a Force user, and only "turned" Kylo Ren as a psychological weapon against Leia and the others.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Monglo posted:

Yeah, true, but he did butt heads with Sargon about the age of the sphynx and ancient civilizations, so it wasn't like he got stoned and just agreed with everything.
Also, pretty sure Rogan doesn't believe moon landing was a hoax and it's unfair to call him Right-wing.

Yeah, Rogan falls for a lot of right-wing bullshit by virtue of leaning towards libertarianism. From what I can remember, he'll repeat a lot of conservative bullshit unless he's called out on it.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Groovelord Neato posted:

the crack law isn't explicitly racist just implicitly so. it's perfect for pedants like sargon et al. another fun lil tidbit: white peeps do and deal crack more than black people but 99.8 percent of crack convictions are black offenders.

I know this is a page back, but it's really amazing how much those idiots don't realize the difference between de jure and de facto law.

Besides, if what was on paper was all that mattered, then by that logic, the USSR must've been the best country because its constitution covered way more then the US constitution.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Ytlaya posted:

You know, what confuses me about Patreons for very large sums (like the aforementions $50k/month) is that Patreon shows you their current earnings, so you know if they're already making a lot of money. Adding to the Patreon of someone already earning a really high income (especially for something like Youtube videos*) seems like the equivalent of donating money to rich people. Almost any other form of charity would be better than that.

I think that for donations, you get extras like special access, or bonus videos, etc.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Ytlaya posted:

Well, that's part of it. For many of these people, being racist is now the edgy, counter-culture thing. Having grown up in schools and a society that, at least conceptually, condemned racism, they start to think that maybe the edgy, hardcore reality is that some races are genetically inferior or whatever. I think that many of these people get a feeling of enjoyment from openly and boldly asserting things that society generally condemns.

edit: It's like the political version of someone loudly shouting racial slurs for the "thrill" of it.

They believe (or at least say that) they're being counter-cultural by shocking people with racism in the same way hippies used to shock squares by growing long hair.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah that's what I found so weird about when Milo first came on the scene and right-wingers were raving about how "he's revolutionary and the establishment hates him because he says the stuff that people don't dare" and I read a couple of his articles and came away thinking that he was the furthest from. He says the same thing as every other British right wing source. Richard Littlejohn isn't revolutionary, the establishment doesn't hate Paul Dacre, and your Tory great uncle at dinner after a couple of pints isn't saying anything new or interesting.

The only thing he ever said that was truly edgy and outside the scope of the generic tabloid right was when he said child abuse wasn't that bad. And normally the people saying that aren't going for edgy or revolutionary, they're just going for excusing child abuse.

I might find it interesting to read some modern generation thinker who did try to excuse the inexcusable, like presenting arguments for sex-selective abortion or against mixed-sex marriage or whatever, just because at least it would be something different, but warmed up Express op-eds isn't it.

I'm pretty sure it was because he was gay. Much like how the right likes to latch on to any black person that makes white people feel good about discrimination.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Who What Now posted:

Right. And you cut off the end of the word to abbreviate it. Hence no s.

And yet they refer to multiple sports in the singular. I blame the monarchy.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Is Armoured Skeptic Canadian? That would explain the spelling.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Who the hell makes those images for him? It's the same style he used for his petition to ban social justice in post-secondary education.

It's just so terrible and it's amazing how much it's projecting.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Was it Lindsey that talks about how Fight Club shows men who feel emasculated by corporate culture so they just recreate the same culture but seeped in masculine ideals?

That was always similar to my reading of Fight Club (or what it should've been anyway). Tyler Durden is basically Hitler. There's no question that modern life had stripped away all sense of self and identity, but his solution was a hyper-masculine cult that also eroded the self and morphed it into serving the greater purpose of Project Mayhem.

I also always loved the use of the Red Pill considering it was also another form of control. That's still my theory as to why nerds hated the second Matrix movie (I'll say I at least give it a pass. Not so much for the third one) because all that "gently caress the system, fight the power" stuff from the first one was also another load of poo poo just as a steam valve on their society. The only reason Neo "won" in the end was because he sacrificed himself (initially for love, anyway) realizing he was never meant to actually live in the peaceful world.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Angela Nagle pointed out perfectly on Chapo that all these alt-right guys that pine for the days of actual patriarchy wouldn't actually be able to handle what they're pining for because they have the completely wrong idea on what patriarchy is. Basically that yeah, you get to be all head of household with final say but you're effectively reduced to a worker bot that is slaved completely to supporting the family structure. No emotions, who gives a poo poo about how you actually feel...you're the breadwinner, now destroy yourself to provide. None of these guys would actually be able to handle that.

This, too. Much like everyone that fantasizes about Star Wars thinks they'll be the hotshot ace pilot or kick-rear end Jedi master instead of some random mook who gets blown away 5 minutes by the next Darth Vader.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Idk I liked American history x. I thought it did a great job showing how a lot of hardcore bigots are created and how the whole lovely bigot groups work.

There's a difference between liking American History X itself and liking it too much.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Dreylad posted:

That's because they watch snake oil historians like stefan molyneux and assume that his take is the only take on rome.

There's been a few calls for Classicists to try to 're-claim' Rome from alt-right weirdos, but that's a hell of a political project

You also have idiots like Davis Aurini who claim that slaves in Rome were "treated fairly well (for the most part)."

I've also noticed that he seems to always add that "for the most part" to every bit of apologism he mentions.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

BigRed0427 posted:

Is Davis Aruni even worth talking about at this point? He's the bottom of the barrel for these guys. No one takes him seriously.

Fair point, but I still find him incredibly hilarious (and yet I can't watch a single video of his fully. Even that "movie" he wrote is just terrible).

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Groovelord Neato posted:

most people don't point it out is the thing, most people go oh the souls games are so hard!! and miss that the reason they're so good is they're a masterclass in video game design.

Bloodborne is the first relatively new game I've played in a long time. I picked it up on some recommendation, and this was my exact reaction at first. The game really has a large learning curve to it, but it's good when you get that. It doesn't hold your hand at all, and people are so used to that.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Groovelord Neato posted:

i only play the dark souls/bloodborne games as they have ruined all other video games for me. i'll be with you soon enough.

How much of a step back would it be to pick up Dark Souls or whatever the first games were? I've only played Bloodborne.

On a similar note: I was originally expecting something Skyrim-ish. Wow was it a surprise.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

This is something that's been on my mind the past few days, mainly thinking about why there are so many people doing "rational" videos like Sargon and why there don't seem to be as many people making videos rebutting them and putting forward more leftist views. Hbomberguy and Shaun and Jen are great, but they're definitely in a minority when it comes to videos directly talking about these ideas.

The thing that made me realize what's going on was a random vlogbrothers video when I realized that the channels and groups and communities that celebrate more leftist ideas are just... doing that. They're not spending time directly refuting Carlgon because they're using their time attempting to just make the world a better place directly. It made me feel a lot better about it when I realized that Carlgon and his ilk pretty much just sit in a corner pulling off sick nasty burns on people who mostly just don't give a poo poo that they even exist. The only relevance they have is in being so evil in harassment of a specific few people they've decided are Satan, and if Anita's harassment had never happened no one would know who Carlgon even is.

You'll also notice that a lot of "rationalist" videos are the definition of :effort:. They really don't have to do much other than rant about something and just let that sweet sweet alt-right cash roll in.

It's also why they fight so drat hard to stay relevant because once you've made a name for yourself being an Internet scumbag, it's hard to find a real job afterward.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

They don't need to be knocked down a peg. It's not that society tells them they deserve these things, but that they need them. Sex and money is success in America. These dateless jobless losers gravitate towards awful things like Sargon because it asserts them as not the bottom rung. The economy and job market is poo poo. It's not anyone's fault they don't have a "good" job these days. That feeling of unfairness gets transferred to other things they lack in really gross ways.
They see the problem sort of. But they want to win, not change the rules. So like the left try to fix the economy these guys pine for clearing the field so they can be the cool rich sex haver anyone worth a drat is supposed to be.

Which is what makes their crusades against feminism and consent even worse. Their main argument against these things is that they believe their privilege (of being able to coerce someone) is more important than someone else's rights to be free of said coercion.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Mr Interweb posted:

Actually they're both in their early 20s

...man, they really ARE interchangeable :lol:

Considering that's how Fox News hires them, I'm not surprised.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

OwlFancier posted:

I can't say I really understand people so committed to non confrontation that they will try to make peace with utterly abhorrent positions.

:effort:

Or it's also a self-satisfaction of appearing "rational" and "above it all".

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

JVNO posted:

Christ Carl looks like a miserable greasy tool in that image. Smile more you big lug!

That's why I said the only time I've ever seen him look normal was that picture of him with the other YouTubers hanging out. He's still a terrible human being, but at least he looks chill there instead of whatever the gently caress he is otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

JVNO posted:

I wouldn't say there's no appetite in Canada for poo poo-heads like Molyneux. Hell, we have sitting senators that consider the Residential School's Program 'a good thing', and we handed Stephen Harper a decade of power.

Yeah, Canadian right-wing poo poo is less in-your-face "minorities are just inferior" and more "well, I just don't know..." centrism that allows right-wing politicians to pull their poo poo (like Harper).

• Locked thread