Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
So we all know comics are garbage and especially the last few years Marvel has been a dumpster fire with some rare exceptions.

Now here's a man who cant stop talking about how bad SJWs ruined comics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsJMpOvTFVc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

So, has there been any movement on that civil suit brought against Sargon by that woman from the local soap shop who he organized an international harassment mob against because she wore a t-shirt he didn't like while helping him pick out his scented bath salts?

Well to be fair he did apologize and took the pic down, then made a video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvvESQGP7FU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

rkajdi posted:

Yeah it's always vote with your wallets when it's some sort of consumer revolt against those awful women or what not, but as soon as it involves anything with them it's censorship. Again, it's the idea that the only consumers who have money to spend on poo poo (young professionals) see your ideas as toxic, and this advertisers don't want to be associated with them.

Also, LOL Sargon is thinking of getting into the Amazon or Audible affiliate scam. He's used to making a bunch off of his multiple streams (YouTube ads, Patreon, his computer janitor business) and now one of them has apparently dried up and Patreon might be next.

As mentioned, Thor is a good comic right now, and had been fir the better part of a decade. Marvel's having sales issues, but I suspect it's less to due with being a dumpster fire and more that their books are more expensive than DC's, and that lots of comic readers are regressive shits. Most of the new "SJW" books are pretty good, and lots of the failure is due to trying to push new characters. It also doesn't help that Marvel's most diverse property (X-Men) is also the one they don't want to bother with because of move rights.

I don't know, the couple of "SJW" books that I read from Marvel(America and that one Iron Man series with the black girl Iron Man) were a pretty hot mess. America was almost near on unreadable.

Al-Saqr posted:

lol Carl of Sad is getting sued for using Akilah Hughes video and not transforming it, and it looks like she's got a winning case loool

https://youtu.be/Vd16eGCocRE

This is strangely poetic if she actually wins. A guy who made himself famous by mis-quoting and misunderstanding people and not reading books(but smugly assuming he does understand), getting his life destroyed because he didn't read and properly understand a law. What's even more hilarious is the counterclaim he filed to her, where he was all "We both know the law is on my side here".

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

remember when prison paul got all booty bothered when the bcc showed an ethnically diverse rome despite there being a line of libyan emperors.

did anyone link another masterpiece in his line of self owns?

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/902129889339469824

could he have picked a more antifa author lmao

Like most people that listen to him, the only thing he knows about Orwell is 1984.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
A little bit interesting if you're into drama regarding our favorite Swindonian Emperor. Carly made a vid making GBS threads on Dick Couhlan, so Dick livestreams a response in which he reveals that Carl is a spineless coward who is a slave to his audience. Like he kept sending Dick videos of Aurini going LOL IT'D BE FUNNY IF SOMEBODY MADE A RESPONSE CALLING OUT HIS BULLSHIT RIGHT RIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ChKGk-63QU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Lovechop posted:

god drat the NoBS guy is so loving stupid and ignorant it's absolutely unreal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9VmmJ9iz8I

my blood would be boiling

This is my favorite comedy video of the week.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT9e5Fw9Wi0

Contra debated Sargon. It was surprisingly civil and without any real WTF-level idiocy bombshells being dropped, which is weird considering its Sargon. Its cool that Contra's willing to throw herself out there like this.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Destiny did that?

Destiny did a lot of bad poo poo.

Sure its fun to watch him debate with absolute idiots but the guy's pretty much just as bad as they are.

Solitair posted:

Um, no. He often advocates for social justice positions and whenever he comes off like he hates geek culture, he does it for pretty much all the same reasons people in this very thread do. I've seen him support a technocratic viewpoint at the expense of leftism all of twice, and never authoritarianism. Your excuses for why you don't like him sound a hell of a lot like GamerGaters complaining about "fake" gamers invading their space as a way of invalidating what they have to say about the problems with bigotry in geek culture.

I won't argue with anyone who thinks he's a bad critic, but he has nothing in common with our usual suspects.

Moviebob is just as bad as the usual suspects, except that he's on the left side.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Bob also made a weird tweet where he regretted that nazis and fascists co-opted eugenics. Dude may be decent enough as a critic(with a wonky taste tbh), but politically he's a crazy person.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

I know there's a thing about singularity folks I find interesting about parents having the ability to customize the look and appearance of their children as the logical consumer end point of embryo gene therapy filtering out downs syndrome and stuff, these things all can be from a certain point of view be called eugenics. Is it more along the lines of that or spouting nonsense regarding Idiocracy?

I
Using his own words, its his solution to "overpopulation"/"too many stupid people is bad" problems. So its less of your options and more 'Lets Make Some Ubermensch'

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

SteelMentor posted:

Bob's the kind of person who watched Idiocracy and said "Hmm, this seems like a cool and good basis for my core political beliefs".

Watch through some of his earlier videos, dude was hardcore Libertarian Right, bragging about it every other video. He's still the same lovely person, except he occasionally sprouts the occasional easy progressive opinion so people forgive him for some reason.

Dudes just trying to suck up to people in the hope of getting ahead. Its kind of sad to see him latch onto any outrage, as all he'll do is regurgitate the same points as his more popular colleagues so they'll give him the time of day.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm pretty sure this never happened.

I can, imagine what he probably said on twitter that caused you to jump to that conclusion, but I'm pretty sure that conclusion is ultimately false.

Didn't he leave the escapist because of their editor supporting Gamergate?

Are you Moviebob?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Lovechop posted:

wasn't his original username like, @firedfortruth or something? guy is basically just jerking off to himself at this point

A sign of every good revolutionary.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The tweet he's quoting isn't much better. "This guy's donating more to charity in a month than I'll make in a lifetime, but why doesn't he donate Everything???'

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

boner confessor posted:

i'm pretty sure the quoted tweet is a low impact joke and people are taking it Too Seriously but that's the internet these days, five minutes ago i was trolling you and now i'm getting legit worked up over someone else's blatant troll

Dont forget the internet is populated with idiots whose opinions could be written off as jokes due to their absurdity, except then you find out they're serious.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Actually PDP's entire fortune should be ripped from his hands and given to the needy, both because he's made an absolutely absurd amoint of money yelling about wanting to rape something for children on the internet, more money than he'll ever need and the rich must be destroyed for the good of the world, but also because he's a loving awful person.

I'll admit this though, we can ignore him for a bit because Notch still has more money than god and does nothing but try to make friends with twitch streamers by donating to them over and over and spends his carefree life of absolute luxury harassing Queer people and women on twitter and trying to apologize for the actual nazi movement that sprang forth from creepy gamergate losers like himself.

*Shrug* Dude worked (as with most streamers, I use this term extremely loosely) for his money, so I don't think its fair to take it away from him. Even if its yelling about rape to kids (Kids like stupid edgy crap). Now cutting his options to make even more money due to his actions, that's something that I'm okay with.

Notch can die in a fire, though.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No. eat the rich, he's still a hosed up dude who says and does racist poo poo a lot and is just a dumpster fire of a human being by all accounts. It's kinda dumb to defend him the agree on my points about Notch because all the same poo poo applies to PDP.

Right. I'll break it down then: I think PDP and Notch have a right to the money they legally earned by doing the work they did. They're dicks and need to get their poo poo together, but they still have a right to what they earned.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Somfin posted:

Ok so how much should Notch get for being the guy Microsoft negotiated with to pay for the work that other people did?

Regarde Aduck posted:

He arguably earned what he made while "working" on minecraft. He didn't earn what microsoft paid him. But that's Microsoft's fault.

In my opinion he earned that money by not only creating the game from scratch, but also co-founding the company that would maintain and expand up on his idea. Its hard to find information on what he was doing during his time at Mojang, but I'm almost certain it was a lot more than just his own lead programming duties.

Somfin posted:

How much should PDP get for talking over the work that other people did?

You mean how much worth is PDP's work cycle of daily recording and editing his work, alongside maintaining his brand and his numerous side-projects?

Somfin posted:

Is their current compensation proportional to the work that they did?

One guy's idea and work spawned a smash-hit video game that's still selling like hotcakes and the other guy found a goldmine by making silly videos that appeal to kids. Both of them could have hosed up royally and have been much worse off than they are now, but they haven't. I feel you're underestimating the amount of work they've done to get where they are.

Its a difficult question to answer, regardless. On one hand its obvious to say no, no work could ever be worth the amount that Notch earned. But on the other hand, seeing the reach of their work and how it has impacted on society and the fans it has spawned, its difficult for me to outright dismiss the idea too.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Unless you think that he went out and individually handed copies of minecraft to people you should be taking into account the very obvious fact that the success of minecraft depends on vastly more things than one dude having the idea.

Like if you drop baby notch in a field at birth and the end result 20 years later is still minecraft ex nihilo, then sure it's all his doing. Otherwise it's the product of everything that went into it.

I was more thinking along of the lines of Minecraft starting as a solo-project that he worked on solo in 2008-2009. The idea and work of Minecraft began with him.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 24, 2017

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

why didn't he give the people that actually got minecraft to the 2 billion dollar level a cut?

and like owlfancier said minecraft was ripped off from infiniminer.

He actually did give everyone at Mojang 2-3 million bucks. Not exactly a small amount, at least not compared to their regular salary.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

That entire tweet chain christ.

Sounds like the guy Sargon was talking to was just as big an idiot as he is.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

fallenturtle posted:

Please make sure we have a good replacement lined up first.

My friend, have you heard of Gab.ai

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Dmitri-9 posted:

Or that their audience is 13 year olds with annual income of Christmas money.

Or their audience is made out of lower class people who cant afford to give too much.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Grouchio posted:

So the Honest Trailers guy got fired from his job for sex abuse allegations

Christ what youtuber isn't turning out to be a sick gently caress these days?

Look when you decide to make your livelyhood with internet videos only, the chances are good you're broken in some way or are on the verge of breaking.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Glazier posted:

gently caress you, HBomb is a goddamn saint

He was also a part of Metokur and is a holder of Bad Opinions On Star Wars. Also there was a kerfuffle with him and a trans person, I believe? There was a big drama post and he replied to it but my eyes kinda glazed over after the 2nd sentence.

But for real. While I disagree on his politics, Hbomb is still good for making fun of the Rationals.

business hammocks posted:

People with production skills or who know about budgets seem exempt from this.

What about Jontron?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

boner confessor posted:

this already happened, it's called punching nazis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnXBeQwmmrc

I'm the guy walking through the shot with his underwear on display

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

And here's Bob with a hot take.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Meltdowns every 5 minutes, Fuentes being "ALL TRANS PEOPLE WOULD NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR IN MY AMERICA" and I'm only around 50 minutes in. :jerky:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The way to solve the sexual harassment of women on the work floor is to force them into being stay-at-home moms. Perfect argument 5 stars.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

I have to give that one dude who says women shouldn't be working some credit for totally open honesty, despite having at least two female fellow right-wingers on at the same time.

Dude just hammers on that a lot too. It's kind of refreshing to see that there actually still are people this stupid out there.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

fallenturtle posted:

Anyone listen to this chat between ContraPoints and the1janitor? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUubz71fZgA
I'm 1/3rd of the way through and they're discussing getting dog-piled for talking with the "enemy". Interesting points: Contra thinks the poo poo that when down with Jesse Singal was an overreaction, doesn't think Chris Raygun is a Nazi, and she has some secret friends from the other side of the aisle that she keeps secret out of fear of a backlash. Is Contra wrong or is this binary view of us vs them ultimately toxic?

The answer in bold.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

aware of dog posted:

Speaking of TAs...

Last week, a student TA at Wilfred Laurier University in Ontario decided to show a video debate between Jordan Peterson and some other guy about gender pronouns to a intro Communications course. For what specific purpose, I don't know, but it was apparently shown uncritically to 'provide both sides of the argument.' A few students complained about this, and the TA was informed of this and verbally reprimanded. The TA secretly recorded her being told about the complaints by two professors and leaked it to a Canadian newspaper. The university and professors involved were pressured to apologize, and the TA will no doubt make the rounds in conservative media, like James Damore did, to talk about THE TRANSTAPO or whatever censoring free speech.

What was her draconian, censorious punishment? Being asked to submit lesson plans in advance, and have a professor occasionally observe her class.

I know this is just sort of tangentially related to this thread, but it just kind of sticks in my craw. JBP's views on trans people and pronouns are straight-up nonsense that enables and emboldens bigotry but incidents like this are being used by right wingers to create an environment where ideas can't be evaluated on the merits, but rather they must be platformed simply because someone has them. It's stupid "teach the controversy" poo poo and I can't stand it. A lot is being made of how the professors made her cry (which is ironic for a crowd that loves to proclaim how "facts don't care about your feelings :smug:), but never bothering to consider how trans people feel in an environment where the legitimacy of their identities are up for debate. This TA was clearly intending to stir poo poo up, and spoke to the media about "political correctness" and "radical leftist indoctrination," despite claiming to be a leftist. So now she's going to have her moment in the sun while an already marginalized group of people get demonized even further.

So if you know a JBP fan, or are tuned in to the alt-right/rationalist world, expect to hear about this if you haven't already.

In better news, good people Dan Olsen, Hbomb, and Lindsay Ellis all have new videos up.

The context was about language affects society and the teacher wanted the class to engage with the topic on their own terms. I dont think she should have been called in. Presenting the debate neutrally and going over it with a class seems like a good thing. Break it down with them and talk it over(about why he's wrong). That seems like a better idea than pretending he and his ideas don't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Hbomber is the kind of contrarian who would, if a bunch of nerds decided to get really into health food and would sing its praises everywhere, do a 2 hour defense video of JUNKFOOD IS ACTUALLY GOOD.

I still like his vids tho.

• Locked thread