Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Huzanko posted:

My whole point is that if you want to enact positive change then you need to make the claim that certain things are objectively moral in the way that the US constitution - even though it was written by slave owners - claims that humans are endowed with certain inalienable rights. These are claims we can and should make and not play stupid semantic games.

You're the one playing stupid semantic games by saying that we must say that good morals are objective morals, when the word "objective" doesn't loving mean "good"

quote:

Well, nothing is objectively moral so it's OK if I hate black people and think the holocaust was pretty good!

Yes, that's what I'm saying, that's my argument, a Jew claiming the holocaust was pretty good. :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The fun part is consequentially speaking it's our fault :v:

Objectively, it seems like a dumb move to make :v:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

"People starving to death in the street is wrong because it is a moral duty to care for those who are less fortunate and if you disagree you are wrong".

"People starving to the death in the street is wrong because you might end up being one of those people" is a better argument without bringing in weird concepts of morality.

Like, a society can only be judged by how it treats its weakest members kind of thing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

No, but thank you for loving up my YouTube recommendations.

These lovely forums need a Youtube preview...thing

Right click -> Open in incognito tab

Recommendations preserved.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

fallenturtle posted:

So you don't accept her explanation to why she doesn't consider this group white supremacists?

I'm going to borrow part of another post in a different thread where this is being discussed because I think it cuts to the heart of the issue:

lornekates posted:

Her points about their members are "Sure, there was one guy who posted holocaust denial poo poo, but he was banned for being TOO fashy" and also "this group saw what happened at Charlottville and said 'we need to rethink'". I think my read on that is way different than her read. She's giving them the benefit of the doubt.

All I see is canaries. If a group is at a point where their members are comfortable being openly holocaust-denial, then that's the tip of a rotten iceberg right there. The telling thing is "too fashy". So it's okay to be a racist, fascist shitbag but keep it on the DL guys, amiright? Booting out the one fool who got too mouthy in public isn't a free pass on any other behavior.

And the comment about "we need to rethink our strategy". I feel one side believes this means "they realize being racist fascists is wrong, and want to learn how to clean up their ranks and have inclusive, non-violent, non-hateful discussions"

If that were true, not to be too blunt about it, but-- they wouldn't call themselves a far-right group.

What I read from that statement is "oh poo poo Charlottsville got us a poo poo-ton of bad PR-- what with the shouting Nazis and the murder and all. We need to rethink how we push our agenda, so that we don't accidentally tip our hand again."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

No one is calling her a far right sleeper agent, Christ.

Not in this thread, at least, I can't speak for Twitter idiots.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Wait, I'm confused about how this point is wrong as you presented it unless it's dumber in context (likely). I mean, "because black people are criminals" is racist, but white flight was/is absolutely a form of soft segregation used to escape from federal desegregation orders (feds forcing you to integrate your school with black and brown people? Take your ball and go to a new section of town with its own school district!) done because of the perception that POC would increase crime rates/ruin schools/cause miscegenation/whatever.

Like, it's not the only reason, but there are a lot of towns where you can actively link the current racial population distribution in town with whites running away like children from POC mixing into their neighborhoods (either via regulation or naturally).

*cough cough* DETROIT *cough cough*

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Lanadelrayathon, anyone know what happened?

Apparently they got creepy with people on Twitter.

E: VVV Oh, and in real life as well. Yikes.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 1, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

I know this intellectually, I just don't emotionally.

Really? Cause whenever these stories come out, I react very emotionally. It's loving disgusting poo poo and it shouldn't be tolerated on any level in our society.

And all this counter arguing I see all around (not that I'm accusing you of doing this, mind you) of "But what if we go too far and outlaw flirting? How can men possibly expect to date without being creepy?" is equally as disgusting.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Monglo posted:

What arguments would you use?

"Children are incapable of consenting to sexual acts"

You know, because they're CHILDREN.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Monglo posted:

Devil's advocate: but children can't give an informed consent about most things. And are subjected to thing daily, that they actively give no consent to.

Do you honestly not get how sex is different from most things?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Monglo posted:

I thought an interesting discussion on the merits of arguments made in the Destiny's debate and general arguments against pedophilia might be had, but if only responses people here are capable of are personal attacks, then forget about it.

Literally no one personally attacked you unless you consider

Goon Danton posted:

This is not a loving road you want to go down, dude.

an attack.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Goon Danton posted:

It's an awkward situation for people who defend pedophilia, because "are you seriously defending pedophilia right now?" absolutely is a personal attack. It just happens to be an extremely cogent one.

To me, "personal attack" means an insult, and getting all snitty about being "personally attacked" because a few people asked you questions is super loving thin skinned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ohhhhhh my god shut the gently caress up about Dark Souls.

Here's something relevant to the thread:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42232482

quote:

Google will dedicate more than 10,000 staff to rooting out violent extremist content on YouTube in 2018, the video sharing website's chief has said.

[...]

[Susan Wojcicki, Youtube Chief] said the website, owned by Google, had used "computer-learning" technology that could find extremist videos.

More than 150,000 of these videos have been removed since June, she said.

In March, the UK government suspended its adverts from YouTube, following concerns they were appearing next to inappropriate content.

And in a speech at the United Nations general assembly in September, UK Prime Minister Theresa May challenged tech firms to take down terrorist material in two hours.

The prime minister has repeatedly called for an end to the "safe spaces" she says terrorists enjoy online.

• Locked thread