Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Yeah, but at least his boss sounds entertaining. PJW is all the dangers and insanity that comes with Alex Jones with none of the unintentional amusing parts.

I dunno, a guy claiming to know things about the world when he never leaves his apartment is pretty amusing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

The Neo-Nazi fascination with video games and anime is so weird to me since old school Nazis hated stuff that was modern and not European. Neo-Nazis idolizing Duke Nukem seems fitting since it's a hypermasculine relic from decades past whose most recent incarnation sucks. Also fashwave seems pointless since it's indistinguishable from regular mall music without knowing who made it. Nice cameo by the dude from They Live since misinterpreting movies is common with the alt-right crowd.

I could be entirely wrong but I always felt it was a big thing of Nazis and NeoNazis to idolize/appropriate/steal other cultural symbols (and now memes) to try and make their ideology eaiser for the average person to absorb. A lot of the original Nazi iconography was stolen/appropriated, right down to the Swastika. NeoNazis appropriating Synthwave/Retrowave/Vaporwave, anime, pepe, etc. feels like an attempt to define what their culture is, even though it's just them taking stuff that already existed and getting their hateful, genocidal bullshit all over it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Is it supposed to be a comment about using force but saying you're nice or something, some sort of doublethink thing?

I don't understand.

He's saying the group opposing hateful, genocidal, Nazis is actually more hateful because "why won't you tolerate my intolerance", and badly equating it to Orwellian doublethink.

Also it's somewhat uplifting that an overwhelming number of the responses to that tweet are people blowing his rear end out over how Orwell was a lifelong antifascist and against totalitarianism.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I have a question about all this racist PewDiePie stuff, but not about the act itself. Specifically an affereffect of the act. Specifically, the head of Campo Santo (the developer who made Firewatch) sent out a tweet announcing that he's filing a DMCA takedown against the Firewatch vid PDP did:

https://twitter.com/vanaman/status/906983575337107456

So of course naturally nearly every GG'er and armchair lawyer is screaming at him "you can't do that, that's illegal, muh fair use" and also posting this image from Firwatch's website as evidence of "perjruy"

So I have a handful of questions, some of them which are pretty stupid-sounding but so far my only exposure to the DMCA is people using it in usually bad and abusive ways (like some of the same people that GG'ers would agree with on any given day but that's beside the point at the moment).

1. This definitely isn't perjury or outright illegal, right? Just because they gave permission on their website doesn't mean that it's a legally binding statement or contract, right? Sean Vanaman even made the point that "well technically all Let's Play's are infringement, it's just a question of how much a developer or publisher lets it slide or supports it". Which I know to be more or less true, since developers have handled this stuff in many different ways, from blanket allowances, to contract deals, to just not allowing monetization at all.

2. Is this a "proper" use of the DMCA? Some people with slightly cooler heads have suggested sending a cease-and-desist rather than using a DMCA takedown.

3. Even if it is fair use (which if I understand correctly, would have to be proven by PDP in court), does Campo Santo have any legal recourse to say "we don't want our game associated with this person even in a tertiary way because of their abhorrent world views"?

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 10, 2017

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

Wasn't his relationship with Lewinsky consensual? I could be wrong, but I don't recall ever hearing any stories from Lewinsky herself arguing otherwise.

The argument is that, since he was her boss and the POTUS, he had undue power and influence over her, thus compromising how much consent/agency she actually had in that kind of situation

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
FDR had also been unfaithful, but I can't remember if that was before or during his presidency.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also given how ardently the GOP/right-wing media went after Obama for every little thing, you'd think they'd have found out if he'd had an affair.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Midig posted:

To be fair, people that insist on happy holidays are just as stupid as people losing their poo poo over people saying happy holidays. Most people I know are atheists and we still say "Merry Christmas" or in this case "God Jul" to everyone. Even in the US it is mostly a consumerist holiday so who gives a gently caress either way.

The only people in the US that actually give a gently caress are the Right Wing. The left and everyone else are content to say whatever they feel like and not get hung up on it, as far as I've experienced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"to explain to you why antifa are as bad as the nazis, i'm going to use a nazi analogue as my avatar"

• Locked thread