Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I don't know if this is what is being referred to, but I find there's a certain strain of liberalism that seems to genuinely enjoy the idea of being correct and cares far more about laying burns on conservatives than actually creating concrete positive change. The main reason I notice this is that this is basically how I was until the end of college or so. Even though I wouldn't have admitted it at the time, on some level I truly enjoyed the Bush years because it was honestly fun to make fun of conservatives and point out their latest gently caress-ups. There was some comfort in knowing I was right and these other people were evil and wrong.

I've noticed a resurgence of this same attitude since Trump was elected. It is transparently obvious that many liberals actually enjoy being able to make fun of the president's latest dumb tweets, and they like the feeling of "being part of something big/important" that comes from being part of the ~#resistance~ or whatever.

This isn't some liberal thing, this is an extraordinarily widespread modern anglo thing (Which tbf might be the result of people, reactionaries and liberals alike, growing up under the liberal status quo). There are many idiots that thinks owning somebody aligned with the other side is an affirmation of their values, so they go and seek out some 14 year old's tumblr page, or their racist cousin's fb posts so they can debunk a half-thought and pose for the camera. This is cathartic but pointless, and nothing more than a politically inclined fail compilation. It's so easy to find material of dumb opinions on the internet it may as well not matter.

Youtube intellectuals think they're above that, so they "try" to use people's arguments instead. But what really what happens is they deliberately misread, sometimes incompetently misread other arguments, to a purposeful end. 70% of a Carlgon, or a Molyneaux video etc. is them hem-hawing and belittling some pedantic point, and repeating earlier arguments in a more incredulous tone.

This is the behaviour of somebody who is 100% confident they are correct and currently laying a burn. It's a great con for Carlgon, he's got a British accent and dumb nerds will fall in line for it. It failed him spectacularly when he debated an academic feminist, he looked like a huge moron. But since people were watching him merely to affirm the other sides idiocy for them, this didn't affect his fanbase much, it was never about his arguments, it was about his attitude.

Likewise, this is why some liberals (most visible on twitter) are so comically focused on fact-checking Trump tweets. It's because their entire understanding of civics is no more advanced than Comic Book Guy with art.

Ytlaya posted:

I think part of the reason there's a backlash is that the people who focus heavily on laying burns on Trump usually don't focus much on any sort of positive change that goes beyond thwarting Republican malfeasance. So you end up with people who are deeply unhappy with the status quo who see a bunch of financially secure liberals treating politics as some sort of fun debate and ignoring the issues that concern them. You then sometimes end up with these people making the association between liberals like this and social issues, which results in them thinking of said social issues as being somehow opposed to their own concerns. This is of course nonsense, but it's at least partially the unfortunate result of liberals neglecting to address issues like wealth inequality, etc.

edit: I think Contrapoints illustrates this issue pretty well. He frequently discusses social issues and is even genderqueer himself, but he is received far more positively by many non-SJW peopple than other "SJW" Youtubers, and I believe this is at least partly because he makes an honest attempt to explain his positions (rather than just wanting to lay down sweet burns) and also makes it clear that he is aware that there are other serious problems with the status quo.

I think Contra mostly gets people that aren't really ideologically inclined against sjws, but happened into the internet war at the wrong place and got blasted with all the "fat feminist OWNED"/"tumblr pronoun lists" memespiel and decided they had to be against sjws. So yeah, his earnestness helps him a lot because those people just suddenly see an rampant sjw who makes jokes and likes the a e s t h e t i c and suddenly they have to see sjws as human beings again. Kind of like those racists on tv that go to a Muslim meet-n-greet and back down in a day.

Carlgon has way too much of an ego though, he's going to turn nazi or go hermit. He may already be a nazi, but lol, he's straight up isn't as smart at their ringleaders. Nazis at least they have a coherent worldview instead of flabby flaily internet owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Ancient historians made poo poo up constantly and had no sense of academic integrity. Every complaint in this thread could be conceivably leveled at them, it would just be stupid because they're all dead.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're trying to imply here. 4chan is completely riddled with actual, full-throated white-nationalists that use it recruit and incite political and non-political action. Shitposting implies they don't actually do anything.

ifm annoys me too, but its really dumb of you to act like he's making grand implications just because you've defined shitposting for the whole world

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I think it would altogether too easy to fake a youtube rationalist personality. Just ramble on and on and occasionally drop a sick own, comment occasionally on current events and you're golden. You need a british accent or a pleasant contra voice, and you're well set for at least a couple hundred extra.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I liked Superbunnyhop, especially his video about the entire Sonic franchise because I had literally never in my life understood the appeal of Sonic the hedgehog and enjoy hearing from people that do. I am an inclusive gamer like that

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

the message of "I'm an academic and you're not so I don't have to listen to you :smug:" works in the realm of academia, but falls short somewhat in the realm of public opinion/the shaping thereof, where the academics are pretty much always going to be outnumbered by the non-academics

so, if you can't boil down your fancy foolproof everythingworksout political philosophy to a form that the general public can understand and accept, the general public will turn away from you and listen to other people with simpler and more understandable (if incorrect) political philosophies, such as MAGA

this does of course mean simplifying your political philosophy to the point that it must be tested against the political philosophy of MAGA, where the public might be watching to see which wins

What are you even on about? There already exists a layman's refutation of carlgon's existence, he's a pedantic dweeb. His entire appeal is his pseudo-intellectualism, a lot of which hinges on a supposed sense of equal legitimacy between he and academia. The general public's understanding of MAGA is nothing close to anything sargon has ever done, because that isn't his audience either.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

wasn't talking about sargon dude, was talking about the issue of smug dismissiveness in general

regardless of how right you may be to smugly dismiss a wrongthinker, it doesn't do anything to reduce the number of wrongthinkers, and that's kind of important in a democratic system

Maybe you should leave a notice if you're going to respond to imaginary discussions

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
lambic is mad that a bunch of people roasted sargon for being stupid for a few pages without interruption so now they're in the thread trying to defend his boy. "Nuh -uh! You are stupid, you can't even prove this very stupid man is racist so I guess he's not even stupid, it's just you!!!"

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

From what I understand, IQ tests are only useful when they're part of the spectrum of educational tools, not when used as the sole determining factor of intelligence like Molyneux wants, and when low scores are seen as a failing of the education system and something to be improved rather than ammunition against a particular group of people.

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

To be fair the one I took was for kids with special needs when I was a kid

Yeah, this is more or less where IQ tests are most applicable since by nature they're a fairly neutral exam that produces results along a bell curve (not of the book variety). It's easy and painless to throw an IQ test at a kid and see where their results fall compared to their peers. Some school districts do more testing than that, some school districts let your retardation be judged by a single exam, but that's the nature of a disjointed and underfuned education system :shrug:

The basic problem with IQ testing is that it's not very clear what's being tested. Like yes, pattern recognition is important, but life throws a lot more at us than shapes.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Did anyone else notice that Shawn and Jen's latest video on The Great replacement also got flagged off YouTube?

It definitely got comment bombed by angry racists so I'm not surprised they mass flagged it either. So much for free speechhh

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Alt righters love con artists and their longwinded speeches because they enjoy projection of authority/intelligence much more than whatever basic principles that actual intellectuals really follow. I imagine a lot of them have never actually experienced any sort of intellectual authority before in their life. Threads about Jordan Peterson are a great example of this whenever he gets posted on reddit. Hundreds of people will join with comments praising every single concept he brings up, as if they think Peterson is coming up with stuff like "alienation" or "social construct" in the heat of the moment.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMR_wIqtmQs

TAA is one of the Sargon-likes, and he tried to debate a Marxist over the Labour Theory of Value. It's a loving 4 hour long video, so these are the highlights of TAA having a meltdown culminating in the reveal that he has no idea what the LTV even is and tried to debate somebody over its validity.

Just further proof that a British accent will get you further in life than you have any right too.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

The Neo-Nazi fascination with video games and anime is so weird to me since old school Nazis hated stuff that was modern and not European. Neo-Nazis idolizing Duke Nukem seems fitting since it's a hypermasculine relic from decades past whose most recent incarnation sucks. Also fashwave seems pointless since it's indistinguishable from regular mall music without knowing who made it. Nice cameo by the dude from They Live since misinterpreting movies is common with the alt-right crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xf4urgGANQ

fashwave is just a rebranding from realization. Vaporwave and all the subgenres inherently evoke a "false nostalgia". By Eco's definition, historical fascism created and was created from a more parochial variation on "false nostalgia", it would only be appropriate for the neofascists to intentionally dog that same line.

But it's a bit navelgazey, and like all the other tenets of neofascists, is only really appealing to themselves for now.

That song is very consciously aping the style of '80s instructional videos btw, tho maybe I don't know what mall music is supposed to be.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Japan doesn't really have a feminist movement yet, sadly, which is where I think a lot of cultural problems stem from.

Japan doesn't have the same kind of feminist movement as America, this doesn't mean it's non-existent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Goon Danton posted:

He's live-commenting on a video, and it mentions the death of Heather Heyer (the woman who was killed by the nazi in Charlottesville). His immediate response is "How did she die again? Oh yeah, she had a heart attack." [side-eyes at the camera]

Which I guess is something they're pushing in the Nazi community? I don't know if it's supposed to be "she got hit by a car, and then completely coincidentally had a heart attack, therefore the Nazi did nothing wrong when he hit her with a car," or "she died of a heart attack and the mainstream media false flag crisis actors Benghazi, therefore that Nazi did nothing wrong," or what.

Yeah, the nazis were on damage control non-stop since the attack. First they just spammed claims that it was a black woman, then some random teenager in Michigan, I think they settled on "heart attack" and calling Heather Heyer a fat childless degenerate. To answer your question, it's all of the above, they don't care what actually happened.

• Locked thread