Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

mojo1701a posted:

Let's not forget that despite all the super important an-cap ideas, he still doesn't answer the "Who will build the roads?" question.

"Who will build the roads? Uh... I'm sure we'll figure it out. It's not important."

I mean, the standard ancap response to the roads question is to just repeat it back at the questioner in a silly voice and hope everyone gets too embarrassed to keep pushing on it, so mining his sources for inspiration will only get him so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Classical liberalism isn't really a position you can actually hold in this day and age. Or rather, it's a position that talks about issues that don't make sense in modern society. They're trying to use old arguments against crown monopolies to attack protections against monopolies, and it just doesn't work at all.

NikkolasKing posted:

Libertarianism is a bizarre ideology. I came in thinking it was "I want the government out of my bedroom" and then I read some Hoppe and now it looks more like...I dunno, evil? Somebody in the Trump threat defined it as "Libertarianism for me, Authoritarianism fro everyone else." The only institution they want done away with is the social safety net. Nuclear family, race, class, etc.? That's great, keep all that.

Is Classical Liberalism like that?

Anyone calling themselves classical liberals now, probably. The actual classical liberals, not so much. Pretty much the biggest classical liberal thinker you'll actually see people cite these days was JS Mill, who got elected to Parliament and introduced their first women's suffrage bill, and who had some things to say about women that would disqualify him from hanging out with Carl and his ilk:

"[i posted:

On the Subjection of Women[/i]"][T]he principle which regulates the existing social relations between the two sexes—the legal subordination of one sex to the other—is wrong in itself, and now one of the chief hindrances to human improvement; and … it ought to be replaced by a principle of perfect equality, admitting no power or privilege on the one side, nor disability on the other.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I'm guessing the guy in the hat is Shaun of "and Jen" fame? I'm looking forward to seeing more collaborations between all of these people.

Tesseraction posted:

I'm sure there's an innocent explanation but I appreciate the optics of the one-seat gap between Carlgon and the black guy.

Best guess is the guy standing in the back was sitting there, but got up so you could see everyone in the pic. But yeah it's not the best look.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

And its because they don't actually believe anything, they just exist in opposition to a liberal establishment that they mislabel as leftist.

Oh, they have plenty of beliefs, they just don't realize that they do. Whatever they happen to believe is obviously the default, so they never have to defend it. If they just destroy the people with ideologies, things will go back to the way they should be.

Reveilled posted:

The thing that shocked me as a "gamer" when the FemFreq series started was the massive whiplash in the gaming community. I remember even as a kid gamers were crying out for their medium to be recognised as art. Five years ago if you'd asked in any gaming community online or otherwise the question "are games art?" You'd have gotten a resounding, full throated "YES".

And then the very day a critic took them seriously and had the temerity to suggest making a show where she'd apply even basic feminist artistic criticism to video games, suddenly video games were "just games" with no artistic or societal merit again.

It was always pretty clear to me that "games are art" meant that they're worthy of respect, not criticism. They always wanted games to have their own Citizen Kane without needing to have their own Orson Welles Shouting about Peas.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Torchlighter posted:

So TL;DR might be souring on the whole 'Rational Skeptics" thing. Well, okay, he's souring on the People involved, not any of the terrible philosophies and practises, and therefore is still just as worthy of mocking as before, but seriously?

Oh wow. Is he breaking with Rational tradition by actually showing some level of introspection? Or is he just mad because he didn't get to go

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

khwarezm posted:

The Clintons aren't very good at this political assassination stuff, first Vince Foster now Seth Rich.

Jesus Christ, make it look like an accident you morons!

You have no idea how deep this goes. There were almost 40,000 people who died in car "accidents" last year alone. Will the Clinton reign of terror ever end!?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

I've had so many people try and defend him and Shoe to me but holy poo poo they are just as bad as Sargon et al. Only difference is that they're just more slick compared to Sargon's terrible everything.

Like, my first exposure of AS was in a video response Garrett did to him and loving hell AS came off as the smuggest gently caress I've ever heard. His contribution to the Questions White Men Have video didn't help either.

So you haven't seen any of TL;DR's vids, then

Maluco Marinero posted:

They also define themselves merely as 'the opposition', their actual opinions are nearly formless because they need to keep them that way in order to 'win' the team sport.

It's something I've been trying to articulate for a while, but hbomb ended up putting it well in his AS video: they treat their opinions as the null hypothesis. If your opinions are the default, you don't have to defend or even articulate them; you just need to knock down the people who disagree with them. Any introspection or examination of what exactly those opinions are would run dangerously close to being interesting, and that would put your entire youtube ad empire at risk.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Armo(u)redS(c/k)eptic shouldn't call himself a skeptic at all unless he lives in a jar and shouts at people on the street all day, and he only has half of that down. Stay true to your roots, people. :colbert:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Wait, do you not?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I wonder if Starship Troopers is on the list. They definitely like the original book.

Also it bears repeating that the siblings behind The Matrix are two transwomen who used to have professional BDSM mistresses.What did the rear end in a top hat traitor say in the first movie? "Shove that red pill right up your rear end!" That would be a good representative of their feelings on all this, I imagine.

I wish I could remember who pointed it out to me, but the core action behind Neo "taking the red pill" is "a woman and a black man explain to a white man that he's wrong about literally everything."

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Everything was incredibly easy to make up back then. Herodotus spent more time making his stories entertaining than accurate. Also slandering a leader was a good way to eat poo poo so everyone just libeled when it came time to officially remember. Nero probably got the worst of it because he was a legit piece of poo poo so the embellishments are all over and hard to distinguish. It wasn't limited to Romans either

Still being alive and in power didn't stop anyone from accusing you of Sex Stuff. Julius Caesar was fairly constantly called the "Queen of Bethynia" by his enemies after his diplomatic mission to their king lasted a biiiiit too long for their tastes. "Caesar conquered Gaul, but Nicomedes conquered Caesar," etc.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Calling people cucks is the new dialectical materialism.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

They thought NPR tweeting the Declaration of Independence was a call to commit treason. Turns out when everyone you trust tells you the media is trying to destroy the president, you'll find ways to make that true.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah lemme go make a point by point rebuttal of a three hour video of rambling where every statement is wrong.

And keep in mind that there's a strict five minute time limit.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Isn't that what they did with Hess? He was captured too early to be part of the actual mass murders, so they just sentenced him to life in prison. Dude lived way longer than they thought, and ended up having a prison just for him after all the other Nazis there died.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Edible Hat posted:

What is Sargon of Akkad's philosophy anyway? Does he cite any philosophers during his videos (in a non-perfunctory manner)?

The typical philosophy of these kinds of people is "common sense," aka "whatever I happened to think of first is the null hypothesis."

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

In other words, anything short of Sargon calling Obama the n-word or stabbing Kristi Winters with a knife cannot by definition be racist or misogynist?

[lambic] Well, there are lots of potential motivations for stabbing someone with a knife that have nothing to due with gender. I think you're jumping to conclusions a bit too quickly here. [/lambic]

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I have transcended ideology and become the uberliberal. I hold no opinions or beliefs, only a deep epistemological skepticism that only applies to one side of any given debate, for reasons I refuse to explain or examine. Thank you for showing me the way, forums user Pittsburgh Lambic.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

It just says "IQ level" on that axis. Is it the world average? Is it the Canadian median? Is it Steven Molyneux's specifically? Let's follow the link and find out!

The Daily Mail posted:

Dumb and dumber? Evidence suggests the IQs of people in the UK, Denmark and Australia have declined in the last decade.

This article is from 2014 posted:

An IQ test used to determine whether Danish men are fit to serve in the military has revealed scores have fallen by 1.5 points since 1998.

Oh. "World" means three countries chosen seemingly arbitrarily, including a 1.5 point drop over 16 years in one of them, and Molyneux doesn't live in any of them. Why does he care about this again?

A newspaper that literally supported Hitler posted:

Now some experts believe we are starting to see the end of the Flynn effect in developed countries – and that IQ scores are not just levelling out, but declining.

Scientists including Dr Flynn think better education can reverse the trend and point out the perceived decline could just be a blip. However, other scientists are not so optimistic.

Some believe the Flynn effect has masked a decline in the genetic basis for intelligence, so that while more people have been reaching their full potential, that potential itself has been declining.

Well that seems like a well-backed-up argument that has nothing to do with eugenics. What else you got?

:females: posted:

Westerns have lost 14 IQ points on average since the Victorian age, according to a study published by the University of Amsterdam last year.

Jan te Nijenhuis thinks this could be because intelligent women tend to have less children than women who are not as clever, The Huffington Post reported.

The perceived link between IQ and fertility is a very contentious one.

Dr Nijenhuis studied the results of 14 intelligence studies conducted between 1884 and 2004 to come to his conclusion.

Each study measured peoples' reaction times - how long they took to press a button after being prompted.

It is claimed that reaction time mirrors mental processing speed - so it reflects intelligence.

They found that visual reaction times averaged 194 milliseconds in the late 19th Century, but in 2004, they had increased to 275 milliseconds.

This would suggest that people have become less intelligent, they said.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

So many questions.

Where are these studies on reaction time in the late 19th century? I assume they used electromechanical prompts and stopwatch measures, how accurate were they?
What age groups are they taken from? Older people have worse reaction times, and there's more older people now, so could that explain it?
What does reaction time have to do with general intelligence?

Oh, the article answers that one. "It is claimed that reaction time mirrors mental processing speed - so it reflects intelligence." If you put a NASCAR driver and a chess grand master next to each other, and tried to guess which one was more intelligent, safe money is going to be on the NASCAR driver every time. He's just that much faster at reacting.

e: And since we're just generally making GBS threads on Molyneux, I'm going to recommend Shaun's video on his Force Awakens critique. Come to try to figure out whether Moly actually watched the movie or not, stay for the unhinged shouting about the main character's uterus! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iqN68PejEc

Goon Danton fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 17, 2017

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Monglo posted:

Using terminology like "racist" incorrectly devalues both the word and your position.
If you're a person calling PewDiePie a Nazi racist, it's clear you have nothing worthwhile to add to the discussion.

We're only calling him a Nazi racist ironically. Our actions and their effects are identical to what they would be if we were sincere, sure, but it's ironic, so you aren't allowed to get mad.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Sam Harris is a joke pseudo-philosopher whose only attempt at a contribution to the field gets dismantled by the loving is-ought problem. Imagine an evolutionary biologist submitting "dog dont give birth to cat, qed atheists" as a PhD dissertation, and you'll have some idea of the level he's operating on.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

jfood posted:

I look forward to the day when we just throw handfuls of scrabble tiles at each other, screaming like howler monkeys.

I'm pretty sure you're just describing every alt-right video about "sjws."

Groovelord Neato posted:

cdc released a report that more than half of all murders of women are committed by an intimate partner (current or ex).

but it's the feminists we must worry about.

Well that's loving depressing. Link here for the curious or skeptical.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's rationals ragging on "rationals"

If nothing else, mock threads like this show exactly how dangerous it can be to turn "rational" into an identity.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

fallenturtle posted:

Yes. Doesn't always mean the person is actually anti-Semitic.

We can't know their inner life, we can only know their words and actions, which are anti-semitic.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

fallenturtle posted:

The thing is that PewDiePie's words and actions for the most part don't come off as anti-Semitic. He's come out and said he's sorry, that he's not anti-Semitic, and doesn't endorse anti-Semitic views. If you watch the video where he had those guys hold up the sign his reaction reads "holy poo poo, I can't believe they actually did it" and not "hahaha, now I'm getting my anti-Semitic views out to the world!" The whole thing seems like someone basically just being stupid and insensitive yet the reaction seems like he posted some Davis Aurini like screed.

He paid people to hold up signs with anti-semitic slogans. That is quite literally endorsing anti-semitic views. Sponsoring them even.

fallenturtle posted:

Because I think he's being unfairly labeled.

Also because I don't think this is a fatal conversation. Are you all planning to shun me because of this one opinion despite the fact I agree on a lot of the other opinions expressed in this thread? That would be pretty lovely.

Just so we're clear, are you saying you agree with the opinions of the posters in this thread, or with the opinions of the youtubers we post?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Well, that's all very unfortunate, but we require a signed and notarized Affirmation of Racism in order to be able to say the things he says and does are sincere.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

fallenturtle posted:

You're right, I am mixing black humor that is bigoted VS black humor that is just offensive. Bad comparison on my part.

Um excuse me sir, it is pretty presumptive for you to assume a joke is a bigot just because of its content. You need to really get to know the joke in order to make a judgment about how it feels.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

fallenturtle posted:

I'm not talking in context of PDP's joke. He's clearly made enough of these jokes that you consider him antisemitic and I'm not going to argue with you about that.

Wait, so what the gently caress is it you think you've been doing for the last five pages?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

He is an annoying video games man but is not delving into "deep thoughts" like JonTron and his ilk have. More terrible opinion videos to mock and less think pieces on a terrible anti-semitic "joke" that fell flat because of a huge misunderstanding of what humor actually is as well as the audience it reached.

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZiXaHBm5EI

I'm pretty sure the built-in mic on my laptop would give better audio quality than that.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that fallenturtle probably isn't another poster playing a 14-year long con in order to trick us into objecting to racism again.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Virtue signalling was basically a sociology term for the stuff the Bible rants about the Pharisees doing.

Midig posted:

There is not going to be any great words that will stand the test of time because someone will overuse it and ruin it for the rest of us.

"Motherfucker" will reign eternal.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

rkajdi posted:

Someone posted this earlier, and I didn't make the connection that it was the real TB doing that. Man is that guy huffing his own farts-- anti-atheism is basically 100% as insufferable as New Atheism from all my interactions with it. Stupid pre-modern thinking that doesn't accept basics like logical positivism (which TB denies about halfway through his rant, with his "a God could exist" garbage) doesn't have a place in a world that's only been able to advance technologically as far as it has on the basis of that principle.

His rant is stupid as hell, but I don't think you mean "logical positivism" here. Unless it has another meaning in religious argument that I'm not familiar with, that term refers to a specific and pretty much dead philosophical theory from the 1920s. "Burden of proof" maybe?

toanoradian posted:

They are of course above such base behaviours. It's like those facebook posts that complain about "here's how the poors GAME the system" and then detail several things people can do to earn government assistance. When asked why don't they do it if it's so easy, they just clam up.

Sometimes they go "yeah, maybe I will!" And then they go to prison for fraud somehow :iiam:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

The teapot is called Russell's Teapot, and what you're describing sounds like the null hypothesis maybe?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I mean, once you start applying it to abstract concepts, you have to apply it to itself, and :aaaaa:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

dialectical post-rationalist, checking in

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

JVNO posted:

I love how Youtube Intellectuals so frequently lambast religion for being propped up on faith alone, yet they frequently fellate AnCap/Objectivist philosophies the same way. These garbage-tier philosophies are frequently justified through blatantly antiscientific methods of study such as praxeology.

No, see, praexeology is logically prior to the scientific method. The latter relies on the former, so if they disagree, it is science that is wrong. This is an actual argument made by Ludwig von Mises, discoverer and founder of the Church of Austrian Science.

Groovelord Neato posted:

anybody who is right wing's entire worldview is founded on faith. there is no way to defend conservative ideology using evidence or logic as reality has a "left wing" bias. it's the great irony of the "rationals".

Any system that involves a judgment of "good or bad" will necessarily rely on some kind of blind-faith judgment of what those terms mean, since there aren't really "morality particles" for us to observe and learn about. A lot of people run into the problem of not really examining what their judgments stem from, but a lot of conservatives run into the extra problem of outright lying about it.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Low Desert Punk posted:

Internet atheists almost never know anything about religion, especially non-Abrahamic belief systems. From my experience, they believe all religious people are either southern baptists or muslims.

Like, it's poo poo that you could learn in the most basic World Religions course or a couple of books, but that doesn't get as many subscribers as bland appeals to rationality.

I was lucky growing up, since I went to Sunday School in a UU church. We learned about a different religion every week!

Our Christianity lesson consisted of watching Jesus Christ Superstar

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

You get to imagine your favorite celebrities and pretend they watch the same Smart Video Man you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I mean it is a correct argument but it does invite further questions.

Questions like "why doesn't this apply to other kinds of laws?" By the logic used here, our entire legal system would be twisted into a machine for making GBS threads... on... oh.

:smith:

• Locked thread