Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Apparently there was some sort of coup on pussypass today and they are no longer a Nazi subeeddit? Still misogynistic/sexist, but not also Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

i PM'd the admins about the fact that it was a full-on nazi subreddit and they said they'd look into it and a little while later the original creator comes back and kicks out all the nazis and returns it to its original, solely misogynist purpose

hmm

Thank you for details, friend. :)

You think it's fake?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

boner confessor posted:

i remember that too but i can't find the study. it wasn't like excessively higher than other groups but by and large across the board about 60% of "fatherless" children had their biological fathers involved in their lives somehow

the problem is middle class rules of propriety being applied to the poor. if you're middle class you date around, maybe you have a whoopsie abortion or two, eventually you settle down with a partner you choose and you decide to have 1.5 kids

if you're poor you dont generally have those options. the boyfriend you had at age 20 is the guy who comes around to take his kids to basketball practice at age 29, but he's not like your husband or anything. in fact a number of poor women who have kids from multiple fathers say their biggest motivating factor for remaining single is because they haven't found a man they've wanted to marry yet, and stay married to. middle class people can much more easily duck the responsibilities of the "wild oats" phase of slutting around that pretty much every young adult does in our secular society, but if you're a poor woman trying to do the right thing by raising two kids with different dads suddenly you're a villain who should be punished for being irresponsible. as we slowly restrict access to reproductive care and abortions from the poor we're basically criminalizing sexual behavior for people of low incomes

I'm looking for the study - it's a comparison between different racial/ethnic groups?

I have this one comparing different groups of Black fathers, their relationship to the criminal justice system and their fatherhood involvement: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10522158.2017.1283653

Maybe it's this one? https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/9140/a75bcccc5b4c00a0f1b077a56597130ae983.pdf

Oh, right above me, thank you! That's the same study in the second I posted as well.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 3, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

This got passed over earlier, but I'd appreciate others' takes on Ann Lieven. In particular, what's with the random Cyrillic?

I tried watching one of her videos and about died from cringe.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Eripsa posted:

I made another video ripe for intellectual mockery. Here's Made of Robots Episode 1: Robot Rights. Cheap yo!. Guest appearances by WrenP-Complete and Eripsabot. Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Just noting I was not involved in making this video, just in coding Eripsabot. Fly free, little robot.

I'll take a look later.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 17, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

That should be illegal IMHO.

Marriage? Children?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Eripsa, I just watched your new video. Much smoother than your last ones. Good job talking slower. I like the style of you speaking over the video moving!

I don't quite understand what it would mean for robots to be a protected class by virtue of them existing in a social space. Does that mean that say, an automated soldering arm at a factory would or would not have rights? Must the "social space" consist of a mixed group of robots and humans?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

"The El Nino."

I'm shocked this guy manages to be more boring than the Senate floor.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Who What Now posted:

I would have thought it was obvious that I was implying most jokes aren't hurtful, but once again I overestimated you.

Do... do you think I'm a vampire?

Or a slug?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Lovechop posted:

just to clarify my experience, i'm almost 30 and have a senior position at a job where i'm responsible for leading a team. definitely don't work at a chip shop. do have visible piercings and tattoos but i'm very good at what i do, so it's not a problem for me. if we're talking about more unskilled work i would of course agree with you though.

My partner and sister-in-law both have visible tattoos, are in their 30s, and have white collar "respectable" jobs for the government/contracting. I think it depends on the field, I can't imagine going on interviews with visible tattoos.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Does anyone actually have the legal complaint in question?

Which one?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

puglad. I think we've wandered into another PDP-style derail where a group of posters are arguing about something without reading about it.

Has he been charged yet?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/09/nazi-pug-man-arrested-after-teaching-girlfriends-dog-to-perform/

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Crain posted:

According to the Daily Mail they are looking at this as an offense under The Communications Act of 2003

Dunno which part, I'm scrolling through now to see if anything jumps out.

Oh here they say:

quote:

A Scotland Police spokeswoman stated that Markus was arrested for “the publication of offensive material online (improper use of electronic communications under the Communications Act 2003).”
http://teneightymagazine.com/2017/05/21/scottish-youtuber-faces-hate-crime-charges/

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

The only media covering this case initially were those trying to beat an "anti-PC" drum. It's worth considering why that is.

I see reference to it in Jewish media as well.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/wholesomememe?lang=en

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Midig posted:

Is this the new 9GAG?

I haven't the slightest idea what a 9GAG is. :colbert:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

business hammocks posted:

That seems like a reacto trolling strategy. I guess I'm lucky that I never saw anything sympathetic to gamergate here that wasn't immediately dogpiled and ridiculed.

I don't know what "reacto" means. Could you please clarify?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

This is bullshit for a lot of reasons but the one that really gets to me is that this is no joke for him. He's decided to make a career out of YouTube. This is his livelihood at the moment and some troll literally just hosed with his job to be an rear end in a top hat or an ideologue or something.

What garbage.

Does this person prefer he/him pronouns? I was wondering.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

He made a video about it that stated a preference for as much confusion on the subject as possible.

One of my close friends told me their preference for pronoun was either their/them or "sex panda" when I asked, so I'm familiar with that arrangement.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Came here to post the latter, but I got this thread for you instead:
https://twitter.com/NoraReed/status/871611754312122368

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Who What Now posted:

"Weed makes you trans" is a new one to me.

This might be obvious, or :thejoke: but I thought he was saying weed makes you ugly, and trans people are ugly, so weed makes you look trans.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

One of them is like 20, right? Or is that another still?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Midig posted:

By the feminist/SJW (for a lack of a better term) definition of racism as prejudice + power, is that a specific kind of power (like say political power) or all types of power? Genuinely curious.

My understanding is that this is an academic definition of racism, and social scientists have suggested people use more commonplace definitions of racism for lay discussion. In my lay conversations and teaching, I encourage groups to address these ideas of systemic inequality, systemic racism, and white supremacy, and write terminology/definitions to further conversation and facilitate flexible conversation and deeper understanding.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Does anyone want to discuss the Moynihan Report or shall we move on? I don't really give enough of a poo poo to pony up evidence for Pitts, but the report's conclusions are very firmly ingrained in the psyche of conservatives and I'm certain more than one intellectual on Youtube (other than Sargon) brought them up. Less because they know what the report is, and more because they read its conclusions in a chain e-mail.

So, I guess really my question is "Does anyone other than PL give a poo poo?"

I'm fine with moving on, what about others? The second Google suggestion for me for Moynihan Report is "Moynihan Report criticism" - (though I am logged in) and there are a couple good articles with multiple points of view in the first page.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

It's been awhile since I read up on it, but as I recall the prejudice + power formulation was constructed originally for what I might call academic advocacy purposes, to fold harm arguments into the definition and leverage it for broader political use. This...turned out poorly, both because it creates problems for intersectional interpretation, because it's easy to abuse the expression, and because, ultimately, it's a pretty reductive and dumb definition that confuses effect with content.

It's popular in some advocate corners because it's a catchy phrase that provides the impression of insight (or a rhetorical knife-twist), and popular as a means of attacking anti-racist arguments in other corners because it's so obviously reductive and exclusive.

...On further thought, there's probably a parallel to the cultural appropriation arguments here somewhere.

Who writes rationalwiki? Divabot and friends?

Re: prejudice plus power, I'm linking to this with extreme caution: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Prejudice_plus_power

Discendo Vox posted:

I see where that's going and I'm disgusted that I do.
This is offensive to human dignity. (The Molyneux quote, not Vox.)

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 17, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Read around that site a bit.

What's the pointo of it? Its like a significantly shittier version of Wikipedia with way worse sourcing and citations, all too obvious slants in their articles and some really bad and often contradictory info.

I don't actually know. I think it might be a goon project? Or associated with a goon... but I might have it mixed up with another site.

I linked because it looked like a good article on the subject at hand.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, that's one of the more legitimate criticisms of Orthodox Judaism. When you have people who are massively concerned about their family 'marrying out' and also believe that you're not a real Jew if you're a convert, especially in certain very specific cases, it's often just a cover for them really being anti-miscegenation racists.

There are also people like my cousins - a Orthodox rabbi and his wife, a prominent Jewish educator. They couldn't have biological kids themselves, so adopted from all over the world. My cousins have all different colors of skin, and it's hard to argue that the rabbi's kids aren't Jewish. Very much brought some racist attitudes to the forefront in their communities over the years. And it's always interesting to see how people react to my family photos.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I didn't know about the broader White Knight definition. Hm, thank you.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

No, hate speech doesn't give you legal or moral license to commit crimes against the speaker.

My impression is that people are debating the moral license or moral obligation to assault such a speaker or commit property damage, and conflating that with legal definitions, perhaps, but I'm not entirely sure. Thank you for statutes. :)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Kjoery posted:

no, you definitely described some fantasia-esque infinite nazi dreamland, im sorry my dude

Fantnazia? Nazasia? Hmm.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 6, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Check Sneakster's regdate.

I don't know what you are implying. Is July not a portentous month for good posters?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Oh I guess we should report the video where a guy hits on a 13 year old

Link?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

What's the purpose/benefit in him uploading that part specifically?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I reported it and will let the thread know if there's any follow up. I don't think I need super intense justification to report stuff I find offensive.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I didn't know you were a parent, fallenturtle. :3:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Is there a context for this other that her slow list toward being the next Wife With A Purpose?

I think she's responding sarcastically to a tweet that's since been deleted.

Edit: I think that because of the discussion on the idiots on social media thread.
Quoting

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Was she responding to a deleted tweet? It's not entirely consistent with her other tweets from today, like:

https://twitter.com/gogreen18/status/896412117099659265

or:

https://twitter.com/gogreen18/status/896236370498174976

or especially:

https://twitter.com/gogreen18/status/896426076645113857

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Yes, I had a devout Catholic friend and roommate in college and asked him and he said he had a wet dream like every 2 weeks.

Whoa did I miss your new av? (I usually view the forums with avatars off) Rad!

• Locked thread