Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
it shaun
Jun 6, 2017

PiCroft posted:

I don't know why but I've never watched a Contra Points video entirely before. He's basically a hbomberguy mixed with Shaun and amped up to 5 million.

I only wish his videos were longer because I love long form essays like some of Shaun's stuff.

Yeah that shaun guy is pretty neat huh. Love that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017
As comfortable as an old shoe.

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017

PiCroft posted:

Make more videos slacker!!

I'm on it! I just helped Hbomberguy write a script for one that should be out in a couple of days hopefully.

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017
Hbomb was briefly in the same room as Carl, I'm so jealous.

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017

BigRed0427 posted:

Has anyone watched Laci Green's Two genders video? Because I dont wanna give her clicks and it's sitting on Youtube's Spotlight Page for Pride month.

The thumbnail is like her previous "Taking the red pill?" title in that it's clearly pandering to the anti-fems for views, which is disappointing. The video itself is just a bunch of waffling of no real consequence. "Some people think this, some other people think this, let me know what you think in the comments!" Kinda boring.

I've been wanting to make a video about Laci & have been waiting for her to do anything other than talk in circles about how everyone is mean to her now, but I've been waiting a while.

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

This tweet thread is great

Asking people like Lauren to openly state their opinion on Jewish conspiracies is a fun one.

She can't answer either way or half of her audience will evaporate

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

What do you even consider racist? Several of the things I mentioned are transparently racist. Are you one of those people who believes someone isn't racist unless they explicitly say "I believe race X is inferior to race Y"?

I've run into my fair share of folk who claim nothing is racist unless it is as obvious as a guy in a white hood shouting racial slurs. & even then a few will insist he's only doing it ironically, so it's okay.

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

the problem comes in when people misrepresent/overstate the effects of racism; your definition of racism means questioning misstatements re: the effects of racism is also racist

Nope. they didn't say "questioning misstatements," they said, "denying the effects of discrimination." Goalpost shift

You're also acting like your definition of the word is the right one, & other people are trying to 'play with' it. That's just your opinion, they could say the same to you. Words don't have definitions separate from what people give them

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017

nobody in this thread has ever pointed to any of the videos in question

i find myself increasingly doubting that said videos exist

no, you don't get to use your favorite youtube video to make your points for you

You ask for videos & then dismiss them when people show you. Ha

Everyone in the thread is talking about you, though, well done. That means you're winning the argument.

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

On the topic of dumb Youtube rationals/alt-right folks, I think I've decided that my least favorite of them all is Kraut and Tea. He somehow manages to come off as even more bitter and angry than his peers and strikes me as being the closest to going full-Nazi. Most of the others, like Sargon or Armoured Skeptic, just come off like some random dumb rear end in a top hat, but Kraut and Tea seems like the type who could very easily slip into literally wanting to genocide people (if he hasn't already). That one discussion with the other Youtube "rationals" that Shaun and Jen referenced during one of his videos is a good example; even some of his peers were like "what the gently caress dude."

Kraut's got Jewish family & thus hates Nazis, but has somehow never noticed that how they talk about Jews is exactly how he talks about Muslims

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017

fallenturtle posted:

You disagree? The people on the alt-right are already mocking being called racists. It's a joke to them, they don't it seriously.

They never will.

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017
It's the old 'does doing something racist make you a racist?' argument again.

I'd say not necessarily, but in the case of PDP, well, yes. His rubbish apology sealed it for me.

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017

business hammocks posted:

Does the review involve a living human at any point? A video of a clothed human talking to a camera should pass even machine intelligence tests for nudity.

In my experience a flagging campaign can usually get anything taken down for whatever reason they like, but it is unlikely to stay down if it doesn't actually breach the terms of service. There are 'trusted flagger' users who can submit falsely flagged videos for human review, & 100k+ subscriber users get access to special customer service options that others don't. Lindsay Ellis & Hbomb kindly helped me get my flagged video back up that way.

As long as we keep on top of the flags, mirror videos & get everything that was flagged reposted, the flagging is just driving viewer numbers up & exposing more of each of our audiences to other similar content. It's a blessing in disguise, honestly.

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017
He's been arguing with holocaust deniers lately so they probably false flagged him. Or y'know, just correctly flagged his many bad tweets

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017
Virgin soil epidemics are a real thing, of course, & a lot of those deaths really are just unavoidable accidents of history. But a lot were also down to the actions of the colonisers preventing re-population & helping diseases to spread through internment & removals & so on.

It's a part of the history people like Stefan leave out when they're making excuses.

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017
There's a certain type of posh English person who never sound like they're from anywhere in particular. Usually some hobbity village somewhere with 60 people in it that nobody else has ever heard of.

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017
A lot of folks who make money off youtube/streaming worked at it for a long time without much of an audience or seeing much revenue from it. They're still working at it while not making money, though. Building an audience is a big part of the job, & it can take a while to get rolling.

I wouldn't call it "my job" if it wasn't the main way I paid my bills, but it's still work & time spent, regardless of money earned. Certain people can be rubbish at it, sure, but it is still work. Judge the content, not the concept, I guess.

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017
I struggled through Destiny's debate with NoBullshit earlier today, & it was absolutely ridiculous

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017
I don't know too much but Garrett is taking an indefinite amount of time off for personal reasons. Think he's struggling with some things in his personal life

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017
It's pretty obvious at this point that Mythicist Milwaukee is just going for numbers & trying to drum up as much attention as possible. One of the organizers did a chat with Bearing, even, I believe. Pretty shameless stuff.

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017

business hammocks posted:

I truly don’t understand what the criticism of Contra is even about here. A journalist did a feature on her and the journalist has some dumb ideas about trans people. So now by the transitive property Contra is now responsible for everything the journalist has ever written?

I live in the United States. Does this mean I deserve to die because of the Vietnam War?

The fear is that the journalist will use the Contra article or similar things to point to & say "look, I'm not a transphobe, I get on with popular trans person X", or something like that.

Personally I trust Contra in this, but some of her audience who have been similarly let down in the past by other people are concerned because it looks similar. It'll all blow over soon enough, though, so long as nothing else happens.

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017
I believe anyone can change opinions, but that the strongest & most lasting changes come when people work through something themselves (or you trick them into thinking they did it themselves, anyway). Live debates aren't the best place for that to happen, usually, especially with an audience watching.

I guess Contra has the trans visibility reasoning, though. A lot of the folks she talks to will have fanbases that think all trans people are lunatic monsters, & her being generally chill & smart is a good counter to that.

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017
It's tough arguing with TJ & knowing you could just hit the micropenis button whenever but you gotta refrain.

He's been DM-ing me on twitter about a response video he's making but I'm just ignoring him, ha. Didn't think he was this hard up for things to talk about

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017
The topic of that debate was irrelevant, really. The joke is that Destiny knows what a debate is & NB doesn't, so Destiny could just lead him around in circles & watch him say silly things.

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017

KiteAuraan posted:

Isn't he like, amazingly racist and also AMAZINGLY unhinged? Maybe they think he's a liability due to that tendency to get into insane conspiratorial drama?

Kraut hates Muslims with a passion, but never went in for the alt-right's antisemitism as he has Jewish family, I believe. So he's between a rock and a hard place.

His channel has been shedding subscribers for months. "Racist in one specific way but not in another" is kind of a small target audience. He also tends to get obsessed with whoever he's currently arguing about, so I'm leaving him alone while him & the alt-right chumps fight it out.

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017

TGLT posted:

But in response to that story, "computer-learning" hasn't exactly done a lot of good for content moderation on Youtube. I'd bet it's gonna start tagging a lot of videos about people discussing ISIS and poo poo alongside whatever ISIS videos it does catch.

Looking forward to getting screwed over by this, what with my channel being full of videos with genocide/terror attack/etc in the titles. I hope it's a little smarter than a list of banned terms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017
I spent years in fyad back in the day & am now afraid to click on it because either it will have gotten a lot worse & i'll be sad or it'll be exactly the same & i'll be sad

• Locked thread