Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I was looking at replacing my gerber dime multi tool, and thinking of getting a larger one since we'll be getting a teardrop camper and I don't need to be so mindful of ounces, plus the gerber is starting to get pretty rusty. I pretty much only ever used the bottle opener, knife for slicing cheese, and pliers for detangling knotted cord, so I don't need too much if I'm being honest with myself.

All that being said I'm kind of liking the Leatherman Signal Multi-Tool and I was curious whether anyone had any strong opinions one way or the other, or if there's something similar I should consider.

If I'm being honest, I also kind of want a Leatherman since I had a nice one that was given to me as a kid, but was stolen not that long after. I saw Leatherman offers laser engraving, and I also thought it might be nice to put something like "For Reward: Email" (or phone), but I'm curious whether that actually works or where there's something better I could put on there to encourage the return of a lost or stolen multi-tool. Does anyone here do that or has had success bothering to engrave stuff like tools or knives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

hypnophant posted:

hear me out:

folding (or non-folding if you like) knife, 4” knipex pliers, and actual bottle opener
:hmmyes:

Those knipex pliers are right up there with wera screwdrivers for best tools I've ever bought! I definitely plan on packing a small canvas toolbag for the teardrop trailer with that kind of stuff, and a few 18v battery tools (like an inflator). Honestly, a multitool is more or less probably going to get the most use as fidget toy while sitting around a fire. I'm enough of a weight weenie I'd probably stick with the mini gerber dime while backpacking. I usually bring a full bowsaw and a tin of diy waxed makeup pad firestarters if I'm planning on a fire anyways, I don't see myself trying to saw branches with a pocketknife persay.

For me, half the appeal of buying a multitool is just getting to the point in my life where I can have nice things, and filling the weird void of regret for stuff I lost as a kid.

Buck Turgidson posted:

I leave a pair of pliers in the car and carry around a Swiss army knife. That will slice cheese, open bottles, and you can use the corkscrew as a makeshift marlinespike.

Don't get something too nice for camping. It's way too easy to lose stuff or to borrow it out and forget about it.

Whelp, I've been doing this all wrong

*glances over at cuben fiber backpack and tarp*

:ohdear:

I want to know more about this makeshift marlinspike with the corkscrew, that sounds pretty useful! Is that using the corkscrew like a spike for wrapping the chord?

waffle enthusiast posted:

I looked at the Signal for a good long while and it just seems kind of gimmicky. I have the Skeletool and it’s fine. But if I were picking one up today, I’d probably go for the Wave+ or other “general” Leatherman.

FogHelmut posted:

I have a Skeletool CX that sits in my truck's center console. I have a Gerber Dime that sits in my bike bag. The one I use the most is the Victorinox SD 7, aka the little keychain swiss army knife.

Thanks! Those were not on my radar, I'll go check them out!

Re: laser engraving multitools, is that a useful thing to do with say contact info or something? Or a waste of time and effort?

I've always thought about doing that with my tools but never got around to it since I've only traveled with cheap tools I didn't care so much about

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

RodShaft posted:

I am once again posting about stupid multiroom tents. Here are the most recent I am looking at and why.

CORE 9 Person Instant Cabin Tent | Portable Multi Room Stand Up Tent
Core is sold at Costco and one heard good things about this brand. It seems like the one side of the tent could be mostly left open if it's just my son and I camping like a built in canopy, but still able to split up the group if we have the girls with us.

CAMPROS CP 8 Person Waterproof Windproof Family Tent, 5 Large Mesh Windows, Double Layer, Divided Curtain for Separated Room
I know zero about this brand, but this tent has a high review score on Amazon. I like that the rooms are 1 small, 1 medium when divided. Seems a better option when we'll probs only have one of the girls with us at any given time and even if it's both, then we just need sleeping/changing area separate the gear can stay with the boys. Also I could probably finagle another divider but that would make the center room crazy small.

In short. I don't know what I want or if there's anything that will be what I want. I hate this paradox of choice, but if anyone has any input on these brands or tents in particular I'd appreciate it.

Between the two... amazon reviews are worthless, and I've never heard of that brand. Seems like another ALLCAPS garbage brand, I'd skip it. The Costco one at least looks like and is probably the same source as the Coleman branded instant popups, and I honestly like the functionality and roof height of the instant cabin style tents. Plus you've got the costco warranty behind it, so I'd personally opt for that one.

Just be aware of the caveat that you'll need about 1' square by 4' of packed space to haul it around, and 32 pounds of bulky material to carry to your campsite. Also probably meaningless, but costco seems to mark it as a 10 person tent instead of a 9 person tent, so that could be the previous year's model or just a sku difference for other retailers? No idea, just interesting. For what it's worth, I really like my costco carbon fiber hiking poles, so I'd assume the rest of their camping gear isn't too bad

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

RodShaft posted:

Well poo poo. I'm in Ohio and I camp all over the Midwest. I guess I'm starting over.

Hey, same! Midwest and Appalachia!

I've got basically the same tent but Coleman branded, and it works just fine for rainy days. If the weather is bad enough that 30+ mph wind gusts are blowing rain sideways and up into the window zips, you're probably gonna be debating packing up and hitting the road anyways (given you're probably not gonna stray too far from your car with that thing). I mean, heck, last time I took that tent out was over at Kelley's Island (highly recommend a weekend camping trip up at the state park if you haven't been already), and we had some pretty good storms. Everything held up nice and dry even though we forgot to bring the rain fly

Weirdly the best shelter I've had in big storms is probably a hex tarp :sun:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

RodShaft posted:

Well, I was sold on it after this post, but then someone had a new Slumberjack Aspen Grove 8 person tent on Facebook marketplace for $60. So I got that.

It ticks most my boxes. I'm not worried about quality at that price. I'll set it up next weekend when the ground dries out a bit and waterproof spray it. I may add a zipper to the room divider and may look into getting a second one. I'll let you guys know what I think once I muss with it.

Hell yeah! All that honestly matters is getting outside and creating good memories. Scoring a deal like that just means you can get out more!

Since you've got other tents and whatnot, you probably already have a tent pole repair kit or splint. That might be a good peace of mind to bring along (especially if someone trips over a guyline in the middle of the night). Also might be good to set it up beforehand and double check the seams for any leaks by misting it over with a garden hose. Since seam tape has a limited lifespan, or isn't done on all tents, a bottle of sealant and an hour or two applying it to the interior stitching would probably pay dividends.

xzzy posted:

Anyone got an opinion on non-DWR rain pants? I've used a frogg togg jacket for years and been fine with it but their pants are generally considered to be ill-fitting junk. I'm after something fully waterproof without having to maintain a coating on them. Doesn't need to be breathable as I won't be doing any high intensity hikes in the rain, it's mostly for standing around or slow walks.

Something bulky enough to slide on over boots is a plus too. But I assume most of them are like that.

I've only ever used rain jackets, but I've hiked with a few people over the years that swear by rain skirts if that's not something you've already looked into.

For me I just toss on some athletic shorts once I get my rain fly hung in camp, and drape my pants from the hammock straps to dry out overnight. That being said I do want to try a rain skirt for myself at some point... actually just poked around google real quick and it looks like Zpacks makes em from dyneema, so I might end up giving that a try myself here soon

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Guest2553 posted:

ULA makes out of silnylon as well for half the price if you don't care about the literal extra ounce of weight. I bought mine years ago, only had to bust it out a couple times but it worked as advertised and didn't get as clammy as I remember rain pants being.

https://www.ula-equipment.com/product/rain-kilt/

Oh that's even better! Adding that to my cart now, for forty bucks there's almost no reason not to give it a shot.

Speaking of recent gear purchases, I bought a campfire! Or rather one of the Camco Little Red propane firepits with the fake logs. Figure it'll be nice to tune into caveman tv without the hassle of sourcing firewood and constantly moving around the smoke.

Also snagged a deal on a secondhand rooftop cargo basket, which has got me down the rabbit hole of how to best secure stuff to that. Does anyone have any recommendations for strapping poo poo to a rooftop cargo basket? I was thinking a softside rubberized bag might be good to cinch down on there, so I could huck bulky bags inside and protect them from road spatter & rain.

Also looking to stash some traction boards on there without being too obvious that there's something worthwhile to walk away with when I'm parked at a trail head.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

guppy posted:

Specific recommendations for hiking pants? I don't remember worrying about this as a kid, but I have no idea what I used then. These days I am old and mainly own jeans, chinos, and formalwear, none of which are really fit for purpose. I was browsing REI and Backcountry, I would love not to spend $100+ on technical pants since I'm not and probably never will be super hardcore, but maybe that's the way to go. I only need a couple pairs. It would be nice if they could also double as climbing pants -- I only really climb at the rock gym at the moment, so they don't need to survive actual rocks -- but it's not critical. I did find a few pairs on sale for $50-55 but they don't have my size (well, one is available in black, but that seems like a bad idea).

My use case is cool-to-hot weather, I don't do much winter hiking. Currently I am hiking only a few miles at a time as I haven't done this in forever, so right now I can wear jeans or whatever and it's fine, but I'm looking to go longer distances. Longer like 6-8 hours, not longer like a week.

Nylon is nylon, but a bit of special flavoring in the thread mix with spandex and other fibers can make a big difference in stretchiness and comfort, and that's where the Prana's come in as a frequent recommendation. I really liked the pair I got awhile back, but that doesn't fit my post-pandemic waistline anymore and I'm not keen to spend that kinda money again. So, honestly, my go-to for affordable and pretty decent hiking clothes is Academy Sports of all places.

In particular, I've always really liked their Magellan line of clothes. 30$ for good pants, and everything I've bought from Academy has held up great over the years. Plus they have a good size range (important for me as a sasquatch person), and I think it looks and feels pretty indistinguishable from the more expensive brands I've bought over time.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Honestly, if you have access to a sewing machine, that's a pretty trivial fix. Just find a matching thread, wind the bobbin, unzip and align the fabric you want to sew together (pinning if necessary), wind the needle forward by hand, then reverse a few turns to lock the stitch, then just run the machine forward to the end, and backstitch that to lock it in. Five minute repair, ez pz.

Plus if you've gotten 12 years of use out of that thing, I'd consider that way more valuable than any refund you might potentially get. There are very few things we interact with anymore that provide a quality and meaningful life of use... anymore I try to hang onto and only buy things that meet that criteria. I'm also a big fan of Kintsugi, which translates to "fixed with gold". It's the idea that if you repair something like a broken pot, instead of trying to make it look seamless, highlight the cracks with gold dust worked into the repair, because it shows an object was actually cared about. And, it looks pretty neat to boot, highlighting the life and use of an object.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Ive got so much gear at this point that I never really need anything which saddens my inner gear hoarder.

That said.... In an effort to put off buying a pop up camper I was looking at those big screen tents that people use over picnic tables for car camping. Anyone have a model they like? They all pretty much look like they'd fold in high winds from what Ive seen.

A few years ago I bought the coleman 12' screened canopy, but it's honestly just too much. The weight and size are such that I just don't bother hauling it anywhere unless it's a group thing. Even though it's car camping, lightweight is still worth it.

All that being said I just recently caved and am in the process of buying a camper right now anyways, so, you know, a popup might not be the worst idea in the world. Just sayin.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This is us right now.

Fully making the switch from backpacking multiday trips or high mileage overnighters to car camping with kids. We've slowly added more gear and creature comforts and now its a big ordeal to pack and setup camp. Trying to organize and streamline as best as I can for the rest of our trips this year. Definitely going to go the pop-up camper route but thats probably 1-3 years out as I save up money for it.

So far the best idea I've had is around our kitchen. I bought this thing:
https://www.rei.com/product/208010/...irect-pup=false

Hoping I can fit my stove, fuel canister, dishes, pots/pans, coffee percolator, etc in one handy tote.

Beyond that Im still sort of scratching my head. Thinking maybe some big rubbermaids to bundle things together, or one of those packing cube organizers for clothes for us and kids, etc.

I recently picked up this camp kitchen organizer because using a tackle box as a kitchen organizer just wasn't ideal for the odd sized everything: https://adventuretoolcompany.com/product/camp-kitchen

Haven't tried it out yet, but I'm looking forward to taking if down to Grayson Lake here soon! I love being able to hang everything and save table space, like the Osprey rollup organizer for toiletries

We went through several hardside container iterations but finally settled on these Plano Medium Sportsman Trunks. Seems pretty sturdy, latches, stacks, and even has tie down points! Best of all the size actually fits camping poo poo really well, without being onerous to carry around or costing much. I'm surprised how much of a difference a better organizer can make!

All that being said, we're going down the small camper route too. It's onerous trying to organize and pack bedding and kitchen stuff, so I figure a tent on wheels with built in exterior kitchen is the ticket to getting back outside more often!

It's a perverse thing to square in my head though... bringing extra gear can make camping more enjoyable, but having to deal with the extra gear makes it more of a pain to do more often... so I guess the solution is to buy even more gear to make it easier?

Also just so many places I want to visit that need a longer road trip than I can do in a weekend, so I figure a small teardrop will help me finish stamping out my national parks passport.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 27, 2023

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

FogHelmut posted:

The design of these is already decently rainproof, but you can make them very waterproof if you run a piece of weatherstripping around the groove in the lid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqSZU2MCNkY

Oh that is really great idea, thanks! Literally adding that to my cart now... I was initially half thinking about getting a tube of butyl rubber caulk and putting a bead down or something, but I'm bad at caulking and this is just so much easier, cleaner, consistent, and compressible!

I'm also just really glad to know I'm not the only person who is struggling with how much gear is too much gear, and it be an impediment to getting out.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Brother Tadger posted:

So I went down the rabbit hole of trying to find a cheap outdoor grill that I could use for car camping that would provide easy clean up, etc. I went down the skottle hole and after getting some sticker shock, I think my half-baked solution is to buy an outdoor wok burner and a large cast iron griddle pan. How much am I going to hate myself?

You should check out cooking with a discada! Full caveat in that I don't own one yet, but It's basically a wok shaped griddle (literally a plow disc with handles welded on). You have a high heat zone in the center for cooking, and then a gradient as you go towards the edges. This means you can slide whatever you're done cooking off to the side to keep it warm! Cleanup is like cast iron, you just scrape it clean, then spritz some water to steam sterilize and rub dry. Once you get a nice season, it's naturally nonstick with no PFAS or other lovely forever chemicals

Plus if you're cooking with a group, you can stand anywhere to chat with people instead of being at a weird angle to the conversation

Oh, and the best part is you can turn it into an oven! Just pop a grate in so the food is elevated and off direct heat, a bit of water in the bottom to steam cook, cover with a large domed lid, and voila!

I think Southwest and Temba are two big suppliers for the outdoors crowd, but it's literally a welded plow disc, so there's also a ton of cheaper stuff out there. I just think they're super neat and I really want one... so much so I think I just talked myself into buying one after google showed me that a wok ring is the thing I'd need to stabilize it on my camp grill

E: you already said skottle, I totally glossed right over that

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 4, 2023

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

armorer posted:

The Scepter 5 gallon containers are way more expensive but don't leak. I have had 2 of them for maybe 4 years now and they've been great. I have the 7 gallon Reliance ones too, and mine aren't leaking but it's only a matter of time.

Another option might be to try to find a gasket or something to better seal the reliance one.

Oh yeah! This is exactly what we bought a few years ago and can confirm, the Scepter HDPE water jugs are the best thing we've found. I wish the form factor was more square, and I would love to find a twist open cap so I could lay it on its side and use it like a sink, but otherwise it's been a really great container!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Oh that's perfect, exactly I was looking for! I even appreciate that it's on a little dingus end, that extra flexibility seems like it'll be perfect for filling larger containers or doing dishes!

Only bummed it won't be here for a trip this weekend. But at least the weatherstripping came in, so I'll be able to get the Plano gear bins weatherproofed at any rate.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bea Nanner posted:

I think I answered my own question with this: https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Watercell-Lightweight-Camping/dp/B0B7YTSYM6

but definitely interested in cheaper, unbranded alternatives

It's not cheaper, but the hydrapaks seem to be pretty decent from what I saw with other people using them. I was debating picking up ahydrapak for the BeFree water filter awhile back, but just kept using clean sawyer bags instead to store treated water because they're light, cheap, and pack well.

Unfortunately the sawyer bags don't fit what you're looking for though, with the downside being the small screw cap opening.

The Geigerrig hydration pack also opens up fully along the top and should be able to be cleaned. I was never able to get the chemical bag taste out of mine, despite repeated warm soapy water cleanings and scrubbing. But I'm also biased against hydration packs to begin with so maybe the residual chemical taste is just normal? Or even was residing elsewhere in the system that I didn't clean well enough (like the lines or something).

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ZeusCannon posted:

Are there any sleep pad recommendations? Portability isnt a huge issue i mostly car camp

N'thing exped for car camping -- it's nice having an all in one and they're pretty comfy.

The cheap end is also pretty nice if you're not as concerned about space and setup hassle. Our solution for awhile was two twin air mattresses and foam mattess toppers, and a set of sheets to put over that. Initially we had a double height queen inflatable mattress, but the bouncing was too much with two people, so we switched to separate twin inflatables scootched together with a shared topper & sheets which fixed that problem. Only switched to exped for packing simplicity after I found a used one at REI with the best return tag ever:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

post hole digger posted:

havin a horrible time breaking in some scarpa zodiacs right now. right foot fits perfect, left foot is possibly the least comfortable shoe or boot i've ever worn. no idea what the issue is and its really frustrating. i've noticed a little bit of heel slip but at the same time one or the other side of my arch feel like its getting crushed. it was the inner side saturday, today it was the outer side. tried a set of insoles that seemed to make it worse. maybe they'll need to go back to rei. been keeping the break in hikes short -- just 2 to 3 miles and ~400-500 ft elevation change, but could barely finish today.

it seems like the lil bit of heel slip i'm having is causing my foot to flex more than the (very stiff) sole of the boot, and that might be causing some of the pain, then if i try to tighten the lacing, it just crushes the sides of my foot. i dunno. maybe just not the right boot for me.

kind of a bummer, i've wanted a pair of these for years and like i said, right shoe fits basically perfect and i don't think my feet are all that different.

i'm not really looking for anything i just needed somewhere to complain.

Ah poo poo, that really sucks... At least Rei has a decent return policy, and maybe someone there might even be able to help figure out the root cause. Wonder if even different sized pairs got mixed up in the same box?

I don't know if either of these tricks will work in your circumstance, but there's a whole variety of different boot lacing techniques out there that can possibly get you a better fit. Thought I had a viddya linked, but sadly I can't find it with a quick skim.

There's also the cutting a piece of blue closed cell foam pad, and putting it between the tongue and laces and using that to better lock your foot in

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

On the subject of pads, does anybody have a rec for a double wide pad that does pack down pretty small? Like probably no more than 44" x 72". We need something for the camper bed that can be stored out of the way while it's in table booth setup.

It's a singlewide, but I've been fairly impressed with the Thermarest Venture pad as far as comfort and packability goes, and you might be able to even do cheaper poking around on stuff like fleabay: https://www.publiclands.com/p/thermarest-neoair-venture-sleeping-pad-20casunrvntr20xxxcsl/20casunrvntr20xxxcsl

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Anyone have any recommendations on bags for cast iron skillets? I thought about sewing up an old towel to keep the schmoo off the rest of the kitchen gear, but I dunno if that would soak up moisture and rust out the pan over time

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I put mine in a couple of plastic shopping bags -- one on each end. It's not perfect, but it's always been fine. A trash bag would work.

I think I'm just going to do this, and then slip it into a canvas bag.

Actually pulled the trigger on a Lodge carbon steel skillet to try and save a couple of pounds in the gear bin. Still has a nice heft, but should be a lot easier to work with while still building up a nice nonstick layer.

Also in the kitchen department, I recently stumbled across these Coleman portable stovetop ovens and I couldn't resist picking one up!

While I still love my Dutch oven, this might be a nice way to get some baked goods on trips without a campfire, or if I'm using a propane firepit. This thing is just aluminum and it folds down pretty well, and can handle a quarter sheet pan or tray. Though, it'll be interesting to see how well that works keeping a consistent temp on a propane camp stove

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
The Olicamp XTS pot is still one of my favorite pieces of cooking gear, because the built in heat exchangers give it almost the efficiency of a jetboil, but also act as a windscreen. Works great every time, especially with the newer mini MSR pocket rocket. Plus the silicone lid snaps on so it doesn't rattle in the pack, and helps it boil stupid fast.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Any goonsensus recommendations on hammocks/brands?

I've tried almost everything from multiple DIY, ENO, Kammock, Warbonnet, Ridgerunner, etc, and the Blackbird XLC has consistently been my favorite for years. The footrest and shelf are both ingenious, so you can put your pillow in there while getting in, loop your headlamp on the ridgeline, put your phone etc in the shelf, and have a super flat lay. Webbing + buckles is stupid quick and easy to setup & teardown too. I was never a whoopie sling fan, I prefer the extra ounce for the convenience of easy adjustment, and for being to loop around a tree, clip, then cinch, and then cramming it all back into the bag for a quick teardown.

The one downside of the Blackbird XLC is that while other underquilts work ok, mine tended to slip to one side during the night (probably because I'm built like sasquatch and my footbox pushed it over). Buying the warbonnet quilt specifically made for it was a big improvement.

It's spendy, but like most other gear, buy once cry once. Sleeping comfort is one of the few things I would not skimp on.

Tarp wise, I'm a big hex tarp fan. Dyneema was a nice upgrade, but not a really that much of a big difference overall from silnylon imho.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Join the dark side and start hammock camping. Then you could look down smugly at all of the ground dwellers and their pads.

:hmmyes:

withak posted:

Having a 3d printer means you solve every problem by printing a widget.

I've been scratching my head on that very thing... when you have a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail, and this is no exception.

I see a lot of hinges, clips, chair parts, and other easily broken parts on thingiverse and co for camping gear, but haven't found a ton of super useful stuff outside of that yet. Anyone have any good car camping gear or organizers they've printed? I feel like kitchen organizer stuff would be especially good candidates for printing.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Crap. I just had an emergency femoral neck repair, 3 pins into the left leg.
Here's to being healthy and getting out in a couple of months.

Oh gently caress, that sucks rear end... I'm glad you at least were someplace you could get treatment at least. Hopeful you can rest and focus on getting healed up to get back outside here soon!

xzzy posted:

Do we have a road trip / overlanding / boondocking type thread anywhere on the forums?

I'm refining a road trip for late May with stops related to doing a bunch of hiking so it kind of fits in here but there's also a lot of BLM car camping on the schedule and I'm not sure I should poo poo up this thread with that stuff. It would be interesting (to me) to swap places to explore that are easy to get to with a car because I'm sure there's lots of people that have been through areas I'm going or have local expertise.

There's the RV thread in TGO with a few folks who do that, but it's pretty quiet right now. I just picked up a small camper last year and planned a cross country road trip around picking it up, but we largely stayed at campgrounds and KOAs because we were trying to cover something like 5,000 miles in three weeks and we had a ton of stuff to see planned out. Where you looking at heading?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Oh! Speaking of nice packs, just sharing here in case anyone is looking for a decent ripstop duffel -- Duluth had the Mystery Ranch Stuffel on sale for half off, and even though they're all out now, there's a handful of the 30L red still for sale on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097BH5RLF/

Know next to nothing about the brand, but I just got the 45 Liter in and I really quite like the design with the integrated handles, backpack straps, and bottom pocket it zips itself into. Seems pretty decently built too. Plan is to use it for organizing camping gear since it fits nicely into the pass shelves on the teardrop

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I was very lucky in that the bone never full fractured and the repair was easy. No pain killers required after surgery, and I still have full range of motion.

Before I got into backpacking 2 years ago, I did a lot of cycling. But 2 years of battling afib caused me to take on a less cardio intensive activity. The funny thing is, my third cardiac ablation procedure seems to have finally fixed the afib problem and I was getting set to ramp up the biking a little bit. Fate intervened.

Godspeed on your recovery! I don't know if it's any consolation, but I'm sort of in a similar boat where my cycling fell off a cliff post-pandemic for a variety of reasons. At any rate, I'm glad to hear your ticker seems to have been successfully reset and hopefully your bones mend up well with some rest! Just gives you a bit of extra time to plan an epic adventure is all

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

BaseballPCHiker posted:

In my quest to make everyone else feel better about their gear I will try and post shelters next.

On the topic of shelters, I've been looking for some sort of tailgate awning shelter, and stumbled on these Slumberjack Roadhouse Tarps.

Seems to be extremely flexible and perfect for the back hatch on the teardrop, so I just placed an order and I'm excited to test it out here on my next trip. Dunno if anyone else is looking for a bigass tarp they can pitch from a vehicle anchor point, but thought I'd share here!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

liz posted:

Omg you guys I got the early access lottery for Wonderland trail :yayclod:

Oh that's incredible, congrats!! Can't wait to see some shots after your trip :dance:

I've been trying to figure out what all I want to try and see this year too... I need to get my butt in gear and start making some real plans before everything books up!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Sab669 posted:

Hey guys, looking for a recommendation for a large pack that still fits as a carry-on for flights?

I'll be bringing at least:
- Tent + sleeping bag
- Climbing shoes + harness
- Two days of clothes
- 30 & 60oz water bottles
- Other stuff I haven't realized I need yet?

Also, super awkward that you can fly with a tent but tent stakes need to go in checked luggage. I mean I get it, but still annoying lol.

Planning my first flying-and-camping trip in May and just finding a bunch of small hiccups like this :v:

Depending on who you're flying with, I'd pay extra for expedited boarding so you can get an overhead carryon bin for your pack and anything fragile. Checked luggage takes a hell of a beating, so I'd be nervous about anything nice like carbon fiber frames on your pack and whatnot.

Are you going to have a rental vehicle or anywhere to stash your travel clothes and whatnot while you're on the trail? Last time I flew and backpacked, this was really nice to have, because a rental was cheaper and easier to deal with for getting to the trailhead. I thought I'd just wear my spare change of clothes, but it's just really nice having some fresh normal clothes to change into for when you get off the trail and want to go get some pizza and beer. Sounds like you might be base camping and climbing, so maybe not necessary? Just a thought.

Tent stakes are cheap and ubiquitous, you might just plan on buying some when you arrive or shipping some to pick up at your destination instead of checking a pack for that one thing. I'm assuming you'll need to purchase fuel canisters and lighters and whatnot upon arrival anyways.

Otherwise, yeah, I'd agree a duffel is the way to go if you're checking something. Just be aware anything inside is going to be crushed and beaten up pretty good. I would also very highly recommend an airtag for your checked luggage (and your normal backpack too). Waxed canvas (like LL Bean's duffels) are really nice and super durable. That's what I used for my carryons now, that plus a backpack. I also recently picked up a few of these Mystery Ranch Stuffel's on sale, and the 45 Liter might be a good fit for the task. Ripstop nylon, pretty light, integrated handles and clippable backpack straps, separate bottom compartment, and seems to be pretty well constructed. I'm also sure your local thrift stores would have some duffels suited for the task.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
It's a mechanical process, with rollers, conveyer belts, loading into ground transport, and stuffing into crammed spaces before repeating. Must you have a duffel or some other protection? Not necessarily. Is it probably a good too idea to cover your pack up with something as a cheap insurance policy? I'd lean towards yes, especially if you need to rely on the integrity of your backpack at your destination. Plus lightweight materials like Dyneema don't have great abrasion resistance. Any sort of cover should work well though, and thrift stores in your area should have plenty of cheap duffels to choose from.

I just really like nice packs, hence the earlier recommendations :)

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Chillyrabbit posted:

I'm looking for some footwear recommendations.

I currently have a pair of Salomon X ultra 4 GTX hiking shoes, that I purchased around 2021 when they first came out. Now they are pretty beat up and worn down and I'm looking for a replacement. The easy option is to just rebuy them again, since I liked them but I wanted to explore other alternatives in case there are new shoes since then that have come out or ones that fit my use cases better.

I use my Salomons as my everyday outdoor/hiking shoe, if there was any chance I would walk in dirt, mud, snow, rain I wore them. I've probably walked more miles on pavement with them than trail but I appreciated the toughness and resilience that getting them a little wet didn't mean my socks/feet were soaked unlike sneakers.

I like the low cut of the shoe as I want to use them for day hiking, and general outdoor use and don't need "ankle support". I prize the light weight and flexibility of the shoe so much that it is one of my most comfortable shoes to wear just all the time. I probably would go for a goretex model to resist any rain/water that gets on or splashes on the shoe but I can do without.

I've been looking at trail runners as an alternative option to consider but I don't really know how to pick or narrow down my search as every shoe is "premium" "light" "flexible" "perfect for [you]".

So alternative shoes/brands I should explore? Or just buy the Salomons again because they're that good, (nearly every "best hiking shoe list" has them somewhere at 1 or near the top)

If you like em, I'd just look at it like a consumable and buy another pair!

Unfortunately, unlike say goodyear welted boots that can be resoled, glued soles can't really be fixed. With the softer materials it's really a tradeoff between comfort, traction, and longevity, and even small stuff like warming your feet by the fire for too long can melt the adhesives.

I used to be all in on the ankle support train, but what I've learned over time is that apparently the impact just gets transferred up to your knees which are less capable of absorbing lateral movements like that when you have your ankles tightly bound up in boots. I love my Lowa boots for certain trips, especially harsh and rocky trails, but mostly I'm team trail runners now, and I love me my New Balances for my sasquatch feet.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
All this shoe talk convinced me to buy a pair of sandals! Specifically these keens that look like the incest spawn of a one night stand between a pair of Crocs and Chacos

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Well, crud, hiking was exactly what I wanted to do with them lol. That's good to know though, I'll just have to bust out some socks to go with em :q:

Question about mosquito repellant... has anyone had luck with any area based repellents or traps?

I know the best solutions are long sleeves, deet, bug screens, and that citronella and zappers don't really do much. But I've seen some positive reviews for stuff like Thermacell and I was curious whether anyone had any experience with that or anything else that seems to work all rightish to keep mosquitos at bay when camping in the same spot for a few days (as I'm planning to do next weekend with the eclipse).

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Thermacell is basically just fogging the area with insecticide. Not the best tool in natural areas, even if it does work.

Ah, well, poo poo, that's good to know. I didn't realize that it was straight up insecticide, I was hoping it was more of a deterrent or mask so mosquitos didn't detect your CO2 and whatnot. I can't imagine any sort of insecticide is all that great to breathe for long term.

Usually haven't had too many issues when hiking around to backcountry sites, especially combined with a good campfire and eucalyptus spray, but we'll be staying at a state park campground on an island which is what I'm more concerned about. I'll just do a picaridin on some of my long sleeve camping clothes here and lean on that... appreciate all the feedback!

Anyone have any lightweight popup screened shelters they particularly like? I've got a nice 23zero 180 awning, but unfortunately the walls that zip to it aren't screened in any way. I've also got a screened coleman popup gazebo, but frankly that thing is just way too big and heavy to mess with for most trips.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I'm so excited... I've been underutilizing my pie irons, so I picked up this little recipe book for ideas, and man, everything looks so delicious! Granted it's all really simple stuff, but I just really enjoy flipping through some of the ideas and picking things out instead of thinking of meals from scratch.

Plus there's some genuinely great ideas in there like smooshing down a cinnamon roll for the dough on cream cheese & fruit filled pancakes :haw:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Verman posted:

Butter. White bread. Pie filling (blueberry/Cherry), marshmallow. Apple pie filling is also great. Basically camp empanadas. Can also do a variation on s'mores. Cinnamon rolls from a can are great. Grilled cheeses with good cheese and picked onions are mind blowing.

Butter the irons. Put bread on top and bottom. Put ingredients between bread. Clamp shut.

Take it out after a few minutes, usually right when it starts smoking. Let it cool because you will burn the gently caress out of your mouth.

Enjoy.

:wal: diabeetus

You can also do pizza pockets with mozzarella, sauce and pepperoni in a pita. Make some Indian style chicken for a samosa with some naan bread, roast some pork or beef at home and use that for savory pies. My buddy brought pie crust and it worked surprisingly well.

Ham and cheese sandwiches/paninis of any sort are easy. One time we just put a whole loving cheese burger, bun included in one. We precooked the patty. It had no business being that delicious. Crunchy exterior and juicy cheesy burger.

Oh man, I just added pie iron cheeseburgers to my grocery list for the trip! Reminds me of one I had in Chicago awhile back, where the center of the burger contained a delicious molten glob of cheese with an entire loaf of onion rings on the side, and it was so perfect with green beer

Ohhhhh... I should try some pie iron pie-rogies, or.... I bet Reubens would be aces! Indian is also such a great idea, little pie iron samosas, garlic naan with Tikka Misala filling, or even tasty bites Madras Lentils with some rotisserie chicken shredded and divvied between several other meals

I'm beginning to suspect I may have popped one too many edibles this evening

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Sorbus posted:

I have some Lowa zephyr Hi GTX boots, they have closed loops for laces instead of open ones and I feel it is harder to get the laces tight enough because of that. Does anyone know if a shoemaker (don't know if there is a better word in English for a shoe repair person) could change the eylets easily to open ones?

You're looking for a cobbler, and depending on where you live, you might find someone still doing that. You may also try reaching out to Lowa as well, they were able to resole my boots for something like 30ish bucks, which included round trip shipping to Germany.

You may be able to do this yourself, I'm not sure what the open shoelace hook is called, but the round eyelets are grommets and they just punch into place. Just remove the old grommets with some pliers or something, insert the new thing into the hole I would think (though the hole might be too big and that could be an issue).

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I honestly really quite liked my old Kelty Trekker external frame, it actually weighed less than my Osprey Volt 70 iirc, and felt really light overall. It carried great and was really quite comfy, and I loved all the side pouches and pockets.

However when I switched to hammocks, it didn't have the internal compartment volume to hold everything since I was no longer strapping a tent and sleeping pad to it. Plus I like not having so much bulk on my back to snag on branches.

Zpacks Arc Haul has just been my favorite and most durable pack, and it looks like they've even updated the fabric to a UHMWPE blend which they say has even better abrasion resistance than their old grid laminated dyneema. That stuff has already been way more durable for me than the original cuben fiber stuff, it's night and day.

I honestly expect all the ultralight cottage manufacturer packs are six to one, half dozen to the other at this point, it's just crazy being able to shave 3-5 pounds with a simple pack swap from older ripstop nylon gear. I don't know why ripstop nylon packs are still so popular, especially when the price points are so close to dyneema, and I feel like the abrasion weaknesses have mostly been resolved with these newer fabrics.

Still love my Osprey Talon for a daypack though!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

cerious posted:

Oh yeah I got a tripod mount on the way already too. I only have ballheads though but I've got one that should be rock solid for viewing. I do have to bring one of my other tripods on this next trip though since I'm going to try to do some star trail pics on film.

Holy poo poo this is such a great idea, thanks!!

cerious posted:

It's these Nikon Prostar 7x50s, from all my reading on other astro forums these came highly recommended specifically for dark skies. I got it used off eBay from Japan, I don't think you can get them new any more. They were not cheap, but I had some bonus cash on a debit recognition card from work and I figured why not. You absolutely do not need to spend like I did, you can get other 7x50s or 10x50s from Nikon or another brand for under $200 and they will get you there as well. Something like these looked like they were highly recommended.These particular Nikons just have a slightly wider field of view compared to most 7x50s, and have a field flattener that promises consistent image quality edge to edge. They weigh a ton and focus individually through each eyepiece, so slow to use and hefty to hold.

I did compare them against my coworker's Nikon Monarch 7 8x42 binoculars, which are also high quality but are geared more towards birding and terrestrial subjects. Those ones are more for everyday use because they have center focusing and are much lighter and more compact. They still offered up great views of the stars, but with a little coma and softening on the edges. The Prostars by comparison just looked plain brighter and had 0 coma or fuzziness on the edges of the frame. It doesn't sound like much, but it was very apparent when we were doing our A/B comparisons. They also have a classic, timeless look to them.

We are still going to take both binoculars on the trip, because those Monarchs were not bad, and then we can have more people looking through binoculars instead of waiting to share. I didn't even realize some of the stars in the bigger constellations were actually doubles, or at least I've never been able to tell with naked eye - but it was just immediately obvious with the binoculars. We can't wait to see what we'll find with a proper dark sky.

Next up is I need one of those hammock recliners from Costco! My coworker had one of the Rio hammock chairs, and that felt perfect for lounging back and supporting the binoculars while looking straight up. Handholding binoculars to stargaze is kind of tough unless you have a nice support, otherwise the stars just bounce back and forth a ton. Shakiness is much more noticeable with looking at the stars instead of terrestrial subjects.

Ohhh, this is choice... nice! I've been using a pair of Vortex 8x42 crossfires for this exact thing (plus birds), and now that you've mentioned it, I can tell exactly what you're saying about the softness on the edges. Probably something I would have never noticed or thought too hard about, but is now going to eat at the back of my brain until I take the plunge down the same rabbithole

At least the 50mm lense would be nice to let more light in :ohdear:

Can confirm by the way -- the nemo stargazer hammock chairs are stupid comfortable for this exact thing! That costco chair is basically identical... you'll love it

Protip for cold weather stargazing in those chairs -- I cut a thin gossamer gear foam pad to length and it does wonders keeping your backside warm

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

The Fool posted:

thanks for checking

I'm looking for a cheap (< $200) 1p for the same use and getting pole length info is next to impossible

I've run into the exact same issue with both my bicycle and motorcycle where poles are just too long to fit saddlebags. My solution was to use hammocks since you can hang both the hammock and a tarp anywhere and pack it down into anything. Another thing I've used for when flying or going somewhere without trees are bivy bags.

Borah Gear made the one I've got, but it looks like they've updated their models and mine hasn't been made in the better part of a decade which hurts to say. Looks like Mountain Laurel Designs also makes bivies, and their gear has always been top notch in my experience

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Orvin posted:

It’s been a long time since I was last camping, and I have been getting some gear to go car camping with my young kids (currently 4 & 6). So it’s going to be car camping and super short trips to start. For reference, most of my knowledge came from Boy Scouts back in the late 90s, so I am sure things have changed a bunch.

I have a large cheap tent that I picked up at Costco. Do people still buy drop cloths to put underneath the tent? Not that I intend to be out in the rain initially, but I remember the drop cloths helping to keep the tent from turning into a swamp from water just wicking right through the floor.

I also picked up a cot, but I am a little worried about the legs of the cot putting too much pressure in small areas of the tent floor. Is there anything I can/should buy/build that is reasonably portable to spread the load out a bit on the floor of the tent? I figured I am getting older, and not having to be on the ground might be nice, but thinking about it, it won’t do me any good if I destroy my tent in the process. I am a bigger guy, getting close to the 300 pound recommended limit.

Cot:
https://cascademountaintech.com/collections/cots/products/camp-cot

Finally, any recommendations for large size sleeping bags that won’t break the bank? I am 6ft 6in, and most regular size bags won’t even come close. I am willing to spend a little bit of money, to not have to deal with layering a bunch of sheets and blankets.

If your tent has a footprint fitted to it, that might be good to buy to prolong the longevity of the floor. A tarp works just fine, but I'd get some flavor of ripstop nylon tarp instead of the crinkly blue polyethylene to put underneath. Drop cloths would work, but they're heavy, expensive, and soak up water. Also be sure to fold the edges under the tent if the tarp is larger, so the edges don't funnel water under the tent.

I've not found most cots to really be all that comfortable, and you're still going to want a sleeping pad underneath you for insulation. With car camping, I've enjoyed stuff like the exped megamat, or honestly, a double height inflatable air mattress with a foam mattress topper and regular old sheets and blankets over top. On the more expensive end, you might also look at quilts as another option. Lighter, more compact, and more comfortable and adjustable than a sleeping bag, but with a similar profile.

Until you figure out whether you want to or need to spend the money for a high performance option like that, I would honestly just save a few bucks and pick up a few regular comforters at the thrift store. Anything with artificial fiber stuffing would work just dandy and breathe condensation out while performing. You could even supplement with a wool or fleece blanket as well, all the above wick water and perform even when wet. Just avoid any cotton fill stuff (which is probably even easier nowadays because artificial fiber is cheaper and ubiquitous). If you want to give wool a shot, surplus stores often have some cheap wool blankets, or you can find old pendleton blankets for pretty cheap as well. Regular blankets and an air mattress may be bulkier overall, but it's also car camping, bring whatever you find to be most comfortable and enjoy the experience!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

xzzy posted:

Not to be the thread tarp advocate, but if you're in the $10 range that's how much a bog standard 8x10 tarp costs.

Obviously cost goes up if you need bigger.. but that's true for the window insulation kit too.

Yeah, the more I think about it I totally agree, just grab a 5$ tarp from wallie world or if you have a hazard fraught nearby they used to run free tarp coupons. Walmart used to have super cheap and compact nylon tarps, and they still might in the camping section, but whatever you do honestly works.

The whole point is to just get outside and enjoy some scenery and greenery, maybe tune into caveman tv later in the evening. No need to overcomplicate something that's just there to help prolong the life of the tent floor from abrading on sharp stuff. Just get out, have fun, roast some weenies and marshmellows over the fire, and figure out what you want to change or upgrade for the next time out!