Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

FCKGW posted:

Went car camping last weekend and realized the kids novelty sleeping bags don't work at all in 35 degree nights. We were mistakable and came home early.

Looking at getting new bags, should I get something geared towards kids or is an adult bag fine? Ages are 4 and 6.

Kid sized bags won't need as big of a furnace to keep warm. Your body heats the inside of a bag, so that extra air just takes more energy.
Also, they'll probably need a new bag by the time they are large enough to fit an adult bag due to wear and tear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

OSU_Matthew posted:

I've always been curious to try an all in one integrated system from Big Agnes, it just seems like such a great idea. Did you wind up getting one?

I've got the Big A Fishhook w/ an REI pad. It has the sleeve for the pad, and it works wonderfully. The biggest thing is that I no longer roll off of the pad at night. It stays put. My pad kinda leaks, but when its full I'm insulated from the ground well. By morning its probably half full, so not the worst.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Would you be able to unzip a sleeping bag from the toe box, then use it like a sleeve?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I cannot emphasize how much nicer side-door tents are than end-door tents, and I don't even own a side-door tent. Like, holy poo poo, can I go back in time and yell at myself for buying the one I have now?

Agreed.
I have a BA Slater UL1+. I like a lot about it, but I wish I had side doors on it. This tent is big enough for my gf and I to sleep on pads together (tightly), but getting in and out is a pain. When I'm on my own its not much better. Side entry is where its at. I have a 3 man ALPS with 2 side doors and its soo much more convenient.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Im a big fan of my Bed Rocks. They are thong style with ankle retention. Have vibriam soles and are very light. You can also test them out at an REI as bonus.

Thoes xeros look similar and much cheaper tho

deong fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 17, 2019

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
For a pillow, just use a bladder from your box wine. Add a little air to it and boom. Double duty for when I'm cold. 12% goes a log way when you're tired.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
https://www.rei.com/stores/rentals/pricing#camping-&-hiking-gear
REI will rent you one if you're not sure you're into camping.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Stupid newbie looking to buy some ski gear here. Any y’all have any recommendations? I was going to get some rental gear, but I’ve got stupid big feet and my experience with rentals in my size is usually just “lol”. Friends also do this every year do I don’t mind jumping in with my own stuff.

Think I’ve got the helmet and goggles covered, and I’m trying to save a few bucks and get last year’s gear. Just trying to get a list together of everything I even need. Any newbie advice would be appreciated!

There is a whole thread for ski/snowboard stuff.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872430

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

xzzy posted:

I've been eyeing the outdoor research echo hoodie but don't have one yet. But everyone seems to love it and I'll probably be getting one for the summer.

Not sure it means your labels or price criteria though.

I have one of these, and I like it a lot. I wish it was cheaper, and mine is a light grey instead of white. The dirt doesn't wash from it very well, so if that's a problem keep it in mind. I went on a canoe trip down the Colorado tho, which is both very silty and in the desert when camping.. So might be asking a lot to get cleaned from that.

1redflag posted:

Personally, I hate the feeling of primarily-polyester/nylon fabrics, particularly if I am sweaty and/or wearing a backpack. I’d highly recommend spending an extra $30 and going for a lightweight merino hoodie. I like Smartwool’s merino 150 series, and they make a lightweight hoodie that is ~85/15 wool/nylon that I’d recommend. They usually have good sales on their website and/or REI/backcountry.

My issue with merino is the durability. I get a lot of small holes from snags in my merino stuff. I like it but.. also is it sun blocking? The OR Echo is very light weight with added sun protective. Just a long sleeve isn't enough to shield me from getting a burn.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I just picked up a monoprice cooler, and it looks like a yeti to me.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

poeticoddity posted:

I'm just gonna throw out this suggestion: If you're going to be using a saw, hatchet, or other method to fell limbs, split wood, etc., wear eye protection.
Getting poked in the eye by a branch sucks. I cannot fathom how much getting a splinter to the eye sucks.

If the hatchet is too much over weight, the PPE is so much more..

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I'm in colorado, and I cannot fathom a summer without a fire ban any more. When I'm car camping, I have a propane fire pit. They're actually pretty great. I'm no longer (as the last one awake) having to down a sixer of bud to drown the fire out at the end of the night. I just turn a dial. Also, no more embers burning my chair. No more smoke. Car camping only obv, but do yourself a favor and give in.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I have one by Coalatree. Similar idea. I have the puffy and normal; and they snap together. Real nice for car camping, I put it down as my first layer in my tent to keep some extra warmth. Also works well as a travel blanket in cars/planes.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Unbound is stylish merino.
https://unboundmerino.com/collections/sweaters

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Get some BAOFENG BF-888S, read up on how to flash the frequencies for your area. It's easy enough, and likely ham nerds have detailed your local laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Get one of those dog car hammock things and let the kids go ham? :btroll:

https://a.co/d/4YSpeKb