Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Hopefullly I'm going to be doing some car camping in the Southern California area. I'm looking for a tent, and/or other gear. Weight isn't much of a concern, though I'm not really looking for anything larger than in the 4-6 person range. Breaking the bank, however, is a concern. I've been looking at Alps Mountaineering and CORE Equipment - something a step up from Coleman stuff, but not anything super high end. Although I read somewhere recently that Coleman was making an effort to improve their quality?

I don't know how much of a difference it makes, its pretty dry here most of the time. Most of my camping experience is in the East Coast, generally with high humidity and dense mosquitos. I don't think those concerns come into play around here.

Any suggestions? Most of the internet seems to think "you can't possibly camp without $1000 worth of gear." But I'm car camping, not hiking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ASSTASTIC posted:

COSTCO. Seriously.

I got a awesome 5 person coleman tent that is set up in probably 5 minutes. fits perfect in my roof box. If it loving sucks or if it breaks, return it. I loving love costco for car camping gear. You can't go wrong.

Hell yeah Costco. Gonna check out the CORE 6 person instant cabin tent tonight, which I think I saw in the store last time. And get a 1/4 lb all beef Kirkland Signature hot dog

I think I'm settled between that and the CORE 6 person dome tent that's going for $99. Same size, different shape, a little more work to set up. CORE is doing 10% off your entire purchase right now on their website with code SUMMER10. And free shipping. And "Father’s Day BOGO! Buy a 750 Lumen Lantern and Get a FREE Mini Lantern for Your Mini Me."

Their stuff seems to be pretty decent for the price.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ASSTASTIC posted:

Moras on sale: https://smile.amazon.com/s/browse/r...KRAFXD5WWCHBC68

For those that do not know, Mora knives are regarded as the best bang for buck knives ever. My favorite is not on sale, which is the Mora 2000, but any of those listed are fantastic knives, even the 8.99 one. I plan on buying a few and tossing them into trunks of my vehicles for utilitarian purposes. Cheap enough to lose and not cry about, good enough to baton wood with if need be.

I got a basic carbon one, its great. Been meaning to get a stainless one or five.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Oh, I have a 7 month old son, I haven't even thought about what to do with him. I guess this time of year, anywhere I'd be considering has lows in the 60's, so that's not really a big deal. What do you do with a baby otherwise?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ASSTASTIC posted:

I have a 2 year old and we went to Yellowstone and camped for the 10 day trip. He was 1.5 at the time and we were car camping. I used the REI queen size inflatable bed and he slept fine in it. Nights got cold and he likes to kick the blankets off, but we just kept a beanie on him and kept checking to ensure he was in the blankets with us. This is the one we used:

https://www.rei.com/product/878774/rei-co-op-kingdom-sleep-system-queen

Its great system and does go on sale as well.

I have a gigantic queen double tall air mattress that I use for guests. The last time I went car camping, I inflated that thing with a hand pump. As soon as I got home, I ordered https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OF92KA/ This thing is a rocket.

I probably should get a more reasonable mattress, but this is the one I already have.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Thanks foir the suggestions. We're using inflatable mattresses with blankets on the top to keep the heat in, hopefully that's good enough. We probably won't be doing too much camping in sub-50 weather, it was just a particularly cold weekend (this weekend is supposed to be 100+).

Any recommendations on Adult bags? Should I get a double bag for my wife and I or just stick with individual bags?

Where are you camping at? I've been looking for some ideas.

Is there a "where are you camping at" thread?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FCKGW posted:

You're in OC right? I was looking in Idlywild but most sites were full up. We ended up at Heart Bar Campground, near Big Bear. Real nice spot, had a rad meadow just behind us. Closest trails were closed due to fire though.

Yeah, I think camping in Big Bear would be great, but my in-laws have a house there, so the feeling of "I could be in a real bed and using a real toilet" is pretty big.

I was looking at Dripping Springs campground outside of Temecula, or maybe somewhere around Mt. San Jacinto. Anza-Borrego sounds too hot this time of year, but I'm not sure.

Private campgrounds seem to be mostly available even on short notice. Any tips for state/national parks? Book 6 months in advance, I imagine?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

khysanth posted:

Definitely. We go to Sequoia every Labor Day (admittedly a popular weekend for booking) and we book our site within minutes of it opening up online ~6 months ahead of time.

For local SoCal camping, you should consider heading up to LA then taking the 2 North up the Angeles Crest Highway into the Angeles National Forest/San Gabriel National Monument.

None of the campgrounds have reservations so they are all first-come. Most weekends you can find a spot if you get up there early on Saturday, but it's safer if you go Friday night.

Wife and I prefer Chilao Campground or Buckhorn (fills up more quickly than Chilao). Horse Flats is good too but there is no water so bring plenty with you.

I have a friend that lives in Murrieta and likes to camp at Palomar Mountain as well.

That first come -first serve sounds scary when you're driving 2.5+ hours to get there.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Morbus posted:

Some parks are easier to get into than others. I've been able to get campsites at Lassen Volcanic National Park in the middle of August just a couple weeks in advance, for example, but that's a long drive from OC.

FogHelmet, depending on how long you are willing to drive, there is a lot of in eastern Sierra Nevada accessible along I-395, and it's about as far from your as Sequoia NP (3.5 - 5.5 hours depending on how far north you go on I-395).

SoCal traffic on Fridays is such bullshit that, relatively speaking, the distance you drive almost doesn't matter since 99% of your time will be spent escaping LA's event horizon.

Please don't ask me about my 11 hour drive to Mammoth earlier this year.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sleeping bags for car camping with an air mattress?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Its a question - like should I bother? Is there any advantage over bedding I already have since I'll be using an inflatable bed.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Master Stur posted:

This feels like a dumb question but what do y'all wear for day hikes w/ some light scrambling in the god forsaken 90+ temps? Shorts+long socks? Pants? Fancy skin tight leggings for mobility? I live in lyme disease country and need to get some new gear because it's been a long time since I lived anywhere close to spots for day hiking.

In my youth, I was a paintball referee at a field in the NJ Pine Barrens. Eight hours a day in the woods and brush - never got one tick. I wore shorts and a t-shirt and certainly unhealthy amounts of DEET based insect repellent.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So LifeStraws are big and heavy?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I think I need a bigger car for my car camping gear.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Suspect Bucket posted:

Roof box. Gives you a great place to put stickers from the many museums and gift shops you'll have the pleasure of encountering.

We got the stupid panoramic sun roof instead of the roof rails. Thanks Ford for bundling that with the infotainment and leather seats. I could technically get the Yakima Q-Towers to fit, but these are not officially recommended, I think mainly because people open their sun roofs while the rack is on and break the glass. I don't really trust those Q-Towers over a set of real rails anyway. I've priced it out, it's actually quite a bit cheaper to get a trailer hitch and put a hitch-mounted carrier on there. I even priced this against used eBay parts for the roof rack system, but the brand new tailgate setup is still cheaper. But this kinda blocks access to your liftgate.

I should have done more to convince my wife that we need a minivan.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Suspect Bucket posted:

Minivans need some serious rebranding. Dodge should strip out a Grand Caravan, put in a cooler, futon, and gear loops, and sell it as a DAYTRIPPER SPECIAL.

Give it a 3" lift, AWD, and roof rails.

I mean, Honda is already there - the Pilot and Ridgeline are the same platform as the Odyssey. Just throw the sliding door on the Pilot, or the suspension from those two onto the Odyssey.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

khysanth posted:

So an Outback/Forester!

But minivan sized, would be ideal.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

20% off at REI and 23$ in dividends, and I can't think of a single thing I want to buy from there other than maybe food or fuel canisters :ohdear:

Get a pair of Darn Tough socks.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Any ideas for sleeping situation for a toddler? I'm thinking about sticking him in a dog bed, as they're cheaper than pads, and the bumpers should keep him from rolling around too much. We're gonna do a sleeping in the tent test run in the back yard this weekend.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

We tried a pad with pool noodles as bumpers (not that we need bumpers when the pad is 2" thick). He crawled around the tent for an hour. Even the dog got bored and went to sleep before he did. Devising a new strategy so that he is less enamored by the tent before bedtime.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cannon_Fodder posted:

My question: What should I do to retain heat when I go to sleep?

Fake answer: Wim Hof method.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Also yes on Darn Tough. Wear them all year, they somehow keep you the right temperature.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Smartwool just always felt cheap to me, I dunno. I think I have a pair of thinner black ones that I used to wear to work. I didn't like their skiing/snowboarding socks, I actually have bamboo fiber ones that I use for that. I think that's mostly because they fit my snowboard boots better.

I have a pair of REI brand and they're fine.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MRE's aren't very healthy and seem expensive, but I guess they last a long time and can be prepared easily.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Would Joshua Tree be OK this time of year? Weather this weekend looks to be high of upper 80s and dipping down to mid 50s overnight. Would just be a short 3-4 mile out and back trip.

I did a day trip to The Living Desert Zoo and Gardens in Palm Desert last weekend, it was 100 degrees and no one died. It was about 4 hours walking around there, but also we probably didn't walk much because my 2 year old son had us stopping to look at dirt every few steps.

Get your water and sun protection, should be fine.

Edit- This is my hat. I found it in about 6' of water while snorkeling and tubing in the upper Delaware River back when I lived on the east coast.

It's cotton twill and has a couple of vent holes on the sides.

I don't know this brand and can't seem to find it on the internet.

You may be better served by something synthetic that wicks moisture, or that floats.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 2, 2019

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone go on a trip with only Coghlan's gear?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

...I'm sure its doable, but it sounds like the kind of thing you do as a stunt for your camping-centric Youtube channel.

It would be a good contrast from the "These are the basic items you need to go camping on a budget" videos where they require a $200 cooler.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah my old Igloo lasts 3 day weekend just fine and it has wheels.

I can see the need if you're really using and abusing it. But car camping at a luxury campsite once a year doesn't seem to need bearproofing.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

armorer posted:

So what rotomolded cooler hits the best price/performance ratio? I could use one for some of the climbing trips I go on.

Yeti has some older competitors like RTIC and Orca.

Monoprice makes them now that are rotomolded.

A bunch of other companies are making super duty coolers with their own tech that perform at those levels. Pelican, Lifetime, and Coleman's Esky brand all come in much cheaper than Yeti, but I think? they use their own types of plastic and manufacturing process.

Even the Walmart brand Ozark Trail makes a heavy duty cooler.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Note for air mattresses - they are poo poo for insulation in cold weather. You'll need to use a sleeping bag on them, or put a comforter between you and the mattress.

edit - I know most people here are into backpacking, but is there a thread for elaborate and overdone car camping/glamping/overlanding setups?

Edit edit - anyone use bots to book sites? https://thebolditalic.com/how-tech-is-deciding-who-gets-to-go-camping-7481c587d94

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 16, 2019

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I bought a 3-pack of some Chinese brand off Amazon for $20. They're rechargeable, bright, and have different lighting modes. They work fine and have good reviews. It says they're water-resistant for things like rain but I would not submerge them.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Would one of those handheld Baofeng radios work for emergency contact when out of cell phone range? Or do you need one of those GPS beacons or satellite phones?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What about literal moccasins?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Wool is great during the summer. It does a great job of keeping you the temperature you need to be, you know as long as you dress appropriately.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone got a full setup going for car camping? Like a kitchen and tables and chairs and shower and toilet tent?

My wife prefers civilized campgrounds, but I don't get the point with all the crowds and being forced to walk 100 yards to use the bathrooms. And its so noisy, I don't know how anyone goes to those places without a full camper trailer or RV.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Verman posted:

Thats my struggle. My wife enjoys day hikes but DOES NOT CAMP. Its been a point of contention since we met and after nearly 10 years of being married she hasn't flinched. Ive tried just about everything I can do to get her out but sleeping overnight in the woods is not her idea of a good time. I think eventually a travel trailer with an actual bathroom is about as close as we'll get. I can do all my other fun stuff by myself/with friends.

Lol mine thinks a travel trailer is cheating, but still wants the family campground with the bathrooms and showers. I would love a travel trailer if it means I can get some sleep in one of those places.

I'm getting close to going out by myself as soon as I don't feel guilty about leaving her at home with an infant and a 3 year old.

I don't have a small tent though, and I'm not sure I want one. I do like the idea of those Australian swags, but there isn't a ton of availability in the US. Roof Top Tents are too expensive and I'd rather be on or near the ground anyway.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Do we need a separate Car Camping / Overlanding / Glamping thread? Would trailers fit in there? I'm just saying because this thread has traditionally been about backpacking and lightweight stuff.

Also a "How to Camp" thread would be helpful - for example, I don't know anything about dispersed camping / BLM camping, and its something I want to do. I don't think I know enough to be an OP though.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

starbucks hermit posted:

Ah, just curious. I live in orange county and I love desert camping but joshua tree is so far. I haven't ever been to anza borrego which is more your corner of the state, except for watching the superbloom. I figure I need an all-wheel-drive to camp anywhere nice.

Anyways, I bought a bunch of camping gear earlier this year including a cool propane stove and now I have to find someplace to use it that's not flammable. Jetboils are nice but it doesn't give the same feeling that I had in scouts when we used propane stoves.

I also live in Orange County, and Joshua Tree is only 2.5 to 3 hours away. Admittedly 5 if it's Friday afternoon on the 91.

Anza Borrego also in the 2.5 to 3 hour range.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 23, 2020

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Joshua Tree is full of hipsters though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Just get some Everclear, it serves a dual purpose.