Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pagancow posted:

Your cell phone records in open shutter because light gathering capabilities of a sensor the size of an eraser head can never match something the size of about 2 postage stamps.

i like my rx100 a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

get a used or refurb wacom, then if you actually use it [99% of people don't use them much at all] invest in a better wacom

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

lol that price tag for non 4K

that's 4k btw

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

4K resolution, also called 4K, refers to a horizontal resolution in the order of 3840 (or 4096) pixels and vertical resolution in the order of 2160 pixels.[1] Several 4K resolutions exist in the fields of digital television and digital cinematography. In the movie projection industry, Digital Cinema Initiatives (DCI) is the dominant 4K standard. In television and consumer media, 4K UHD or UHD-1 is the dominant 4K standard.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"3.84k" performed horribly in market testing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

back in the days when people still used cordless phones the phone companies made a huge deal out of moving from 2.4 ghz to 5.8 ghz frequency phones then when the vastly superior DECT came out since it was "only" 1.9 ghz they changed the name of the entire standard to "DECT 6.0" because then people would believe it was better than 5.8

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

what's a halfway decent 4K TV for under 1 grand

I would like 55" but could go smaller I guess

maybe the vizio M55-E0 [make sure you get this years model or else you get an android tablet instead of a remote]

if you could go smaller the sony 49x900e is like $1100 and pretty good

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

theres no point in 4k tellys

hdr

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

simple fact is that if you want a good tv in tyool 2017 you have to buy a 4k one there's a few decent 1080p models left but they have worse brightness, contrast and processing than 4k models

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pagancow posted:

Just keep in mind anything under 1000 nits is not considered HDR, and anything under 650 is not HDR for oled because special reasons
you seem to be confusing branded hdr standard dolby vision with the entire concept of increased dynamic range, it's a common mistake

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

so Vizio is still killing it, huh
I think they're more "acceptable but super cheap"-ing it

this years samsungs are all edge lit, if you want to get something better than vizio you should either get a sony x900e or above [but not the 930e] or an lg oled

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah the sony oled is like super legit but it costs 4 thousand ameros

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you actually want to learn things instead of just watching pagancow string professional-sounding buzzwords together this guy is doing a pretty good job
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2812161-what-color-volume.html#post52187897

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

currently the bda recommends 1000 nits only for speculator highlights or other small areas and only for a brief time but that's assuming a light-controlled room so a tv in a sunny living room will need to be way super bright

quote:

BDA Authoring Guideline for HDR Content will be prepared to include the following recommendation text: “Maximum Frame Average
Light Level” not to exceed 400nits. Over 1000 nits should be limited to specular highlights which are expected to be a small
percentage of the picture area.
when dolby did the original vision presentation at ces a few years back they had to dial their crazy laser projector down after the first day because people were like running into things on the way out

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pagancow posted:

400 nits average light level of a display is just STUPID, you better have died in the movie and just woke up from a coma, and are in the jonny ive white room in a horror film for that poo poo to occur.

source [warning large boring pdf]

just admit it you edit those youtube videos where people make complicated inedible desserts

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my work got me a new monitor! :unsmith:

it's a 20" 1600x900 edge-lit hp from 2012 :smith:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

get 6500k bias lighting

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol if an undismissable "switching speakers to external amp" message doesn't block the bottom of your screen the first minute your tv is on

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

DuckConference posted:

as a bonus we found that an A/V receiver from a manufacturer of very expensive speakers is totally broken. It claims to support HDR and does not, and in fact violates the HDMI specification in a few important areas

I am not looking forward to buying a new receiver, my current one has been a champ and even the really expensive new ones I'm looking at all have something stupid about them like a giant remote with 200 buttons or only 3 hdmi inputs [srsly] and every single one lies about the amp rating

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pagancow posted:

New iPad 600 nit brightness, 120hz, p3 gamut, software supports "HDR video playback", they say its "the best display in a tablet"

the new imacs can only do 500 nits apple put a more capable display on their $700 tablet than their $2000 desktop

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

shaggar leaning full on into "it goes to 11"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

same but we got some cheap piece of crap 75 inch for <$2000, but it's 10000x better than the terrible projector we had before and it does the job
nothing like hosting a design review on a 1024 x 768 projector with permanent yellow cast because the capital depreciation plan says spending $1000 for a new one is impossible even though the company makes a billion dollars a month

same place also had a bunch of rectangular pixel 768p plasmas we couldn't replace because they'd been there for "only" 8 years and were really expensive when new

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

sounds like someone should have """accidentally""" tripped and bashed some of that equipment

yeah, I don't know how it happened but someone spilled coffee in the ceiling mounted projector and we're going to need a new one

baffling, really but nothing to be done about it now

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've been thinking about buying one of those 4k dells and as far as my work laptop goes I'll probably just output 1080p to it because I don't even know if the hp they gave me can do 4k

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah lemme just run windows 7 at 4k on a 24" monitor that sounds readable and usable

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

who the heck is still using windows 7?

the extremely large company I work for

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Maximum Leader posted:

if you have to use windows just get 1080p, it will save a you a lot of trouble but also money which you can use to invest in a proper computer hth
this is my work computer, I would never use windows by choice but I work from home 1-2 days a week so it's a factor

do you people byo personal laptops and let your work manage them or something lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't know anyone who has windows 10 at work, like anywhere

• Locked thread