Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete!

For the challenge the Plague Marines are covered in dings and dents, and one has his faceplate ripped away to show the gribbliness underneath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Oath Complete!

Martians both without helmets...

...and with. (I can't decide which I like better, especially since the helmet just doesn't fit on the guy in the purple robe. I might go with a mix of helmeted and bare-headed.)

The monthly Challenge of battle damage (I'm Gonna Wreck It!) comes in the form of these KO'd players. This appears on the models as a callback to last month's blood effects (made with Nurgle's Rot and green ink), and the smashed bits of helmet around their bases.
(If alcohol abuse counts as battle damage, we could also include the spilled beer and wine on the bard's base.)

The full album is here.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Oath complete:

So, I'm going for the The Mr Tryhard Award because why not?

May - A Flying Start
My Mek is flying along on a jetbike.

June - Raise Your Flag
The banner - because it is well established that Ork Warbikes need flags.

July - Time to Shine
Both the frame and lenses of the Mek's goggles are meant to shine. Mythril silver used for the frames but I'm not sure it shows in the images.

August - Feeling the heat
There is fire coming from the back of the bike as well as weird blue flames on the KFF.

September - The Chop Shop
This model ain't available in shops, its 80% scratchbuilt with a few GW pieces here and there.

October - Bring out your dead
There are skulls on the front of my bike and on the banner.

November - Always take the weather with you
The bike and items on the base are covered in dirt/dust:

December - Back to Base-ics
The base ain't plain.

January - Remember to show your workings
WIP I:
WIP II:
WIP III:

February - My heart bleeds for you
There is blood all over the Mek's powerklaw

March - I’m gonna wreck it!
There is battle damage on the front and rear of the bike.

April - Free(hand) as a bird
The banners have freehand inspired (in part) by the old Warbiker banners. In the days when you got stickers in boxes.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016

TheFinalTuba posted:

Late post, late start, but better late than never!
I, TheFinalTuba, oath to paint 3 Canine Remains from Malifaux (Wyrd Miniatures)

And with my late start, they didn't turn out awesome, but sometimes DONE is good enough haha.

Oath Complete!

Claiming Jurnal because nothing says battle damage like missing flesh :p

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Oath Complete!

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
gameraMan March 2018 Oath Complete!

1 bookcase, 1 bed, and 10 various kitchenware items...

Rather enjoyed painting these, a nice break from the usual monster dudes. I originally wasn't going to go for the Journal, but got ahead this month and decided I'd try by going extra heavy on the weathering, so I razored out chunks out of the bookcase and bed frame and also chipped all the dish ware. Up to judges to decide if it counts for Journal but i will say I'm much happier with the pieces after all the weathering! So claiming I’m gonna wreck it! for the month...

More pics:

gameraMan fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 1, 2018

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Oath Complete!

The paintjob is fairly simple, but the model always makes it work.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Pyrolocutus posted:

Oathing a Maghariba Guard. This is a HaqqIslam model from Corvus Belli's Infinity.

Oath complete! Claiming Jurnal from the score marks on the front left of the nose, the lower shield, the back two leg pylons, and the blast mark next to the mini-missiles.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Oath Complete!

Claiming journal for the chipped paint on the ram and by the tracks. I tried to keep it relatively clean as I figured the SoB would treat their vehicles as rolling shrines.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, guess it's time to go big or go home.

I, Yvonmukluk, oath to paint for March 2018 28(!) 28mm Bolt Action Commandos, 1 28mm British Forward Observer (all by Warlord Games), and 2 Chain of Command Jumping-Off points by Too Fat Lardies.

Oath Complete!

Claiming Get The Crystal for the Jumping-Off Points/Objectives.

The American Samoa timezone saved my butt again!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

:scrunt: OATH COMPLETE :scrunt:

Sorry for the shiny, but I'm out of matt varnish and can't afford to get any more right now.

Sturnhammer Battle Tank

Switch the turret to make it a Hata Pattern Sturnhammer Battle Tank

Another turret switch and a bulldozer blade makes it a Brandr Urban Assault Vehicle

And switching out the upper hull makes it a Drakkar APC

No challenge or bonuses this month

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OK folks, March is over. Onwards to the final month, April!

quote:

April - Free(hand) as a bird
Add some freehand to your figure. This shouldn’t be a simple small symbol, rather it should be a large pattern which catches the eye and is an obvious focal point, such as nose art on a plane or an intricate celtic knot tattoo or so on.

Don't forget, as it's the last month everyone is eligible for the All together now achievement, even if you don't paint anything this month.

I will hopefully be catching up with the spreadsheet today!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

wdarkk posted:

Haven't felt very good this month, so oathing something simpler than I planned.

I, wdarkk, oath for the month of March two Athens class light cruisers by TTcombat for Dropfleet Commander, 1:9150 scale.

Red Shoe posted:

Additional oath! A Raicho.
Corvus Belli

Pyrolocutus posted:

Oathing a Maghariba Guard. This is a HaqqIslam model from Corvus Belli's Infinity.

TheFinalTuba posted:

Late post, late start, but better late than never!
I, TheFinalTuba, oath to paint 3 Canine Remains from Malifaux (Wyrd Miniatures)

Approved!

Ashcans posted:

What's the plan for next month? Do we have someone stepping up for a new thread? :ohdear:

I'll get a new thread started soonish. I'll likely copy all the Jurnals and Achievements over unless someone has any ideas for new ones? I'll try keep on top of stuff better though I'm likely to be getting busier over the next year.

grassy gnoll posted:

Hey Zark, for next month's theme, would something like a camo pattern count, or does it need to be a representative image of something?

So long as it's done freehand and not by something like stippling with a sponge, I'm fine with freehand camo and abstract designs.

:siren: The Spreadsheet should now be up to date - please double check I've not missed anything, I'll try get March's gallery up by next weekend.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

No time for fooling around, time for my last Oath of the season!

I, Zark the Damned, Oath the following for April 2018:

One converted Imperial Knight, GW, 28mm

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Zark the Damned posted:

I'll get a new thread started soonish. I'll likely copy all the Jurnals and Achievements over unless someone has any ideas for new ones? I'll try keep on top of stuff better though I'm likely to be getting busier over the next year.

I really thought that this was the last month for some reason, so I was getting nervous! But apparently I'm just very confused. Now to find something with freehand potential.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint the following miniatures for April: (6) Halfling Soldiers from Westfalia Miniatures, and (7) Cursed Treasures from Ristul's Extraordinary Market!

The Halflings are zenithal primed, treasure is bare resin.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
I, TheFinalTuba, oath to paint the following:
2 Interventors of Tunguska
2 Fast Pandas
1 Spektr
All Infinity, Corvus Belli

With Tunguska dropping soon, time to finally paint the models I've been hoarding. Basecoating is ok, right? Accountability oath!!! :P

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Remember to post the oath!

I, Grey Hunter Oath -
Darth Vader,
Luke Skywalker,
an AT-AT,
and AT-RT,
a T-47 Speeder,
2 Speeder bikes,
14 Stormtroopers
14 Rebel troopers.

All 33mm by fantasy flight games.

Lets epic this months oath, I want to play! (and I have a week off at home for once!)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I, NTRabbit, oath to finish off the season with

30 Forge Father Steel Warriors with assorted weapons by Mantic (28mm)

Going big, had these primed for a while and it was time to get them all done

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

I, LazyAngel, oath Viktoria Pendrake, by Privateer Press (32mm)

First minicrate, nice mini, very little cleanup needed so will have fun with the basing.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Ok, last month, no more loving around. I Weirdo Oath 20 Elf Palace Guard from Mantic, 28mm.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
For April I, Galaspar, oath three Blightlord Terminators and two Necromunda gangers

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I, Raphus C, oath 1 Ork Buggy for April (GW, 28mm)

Zark the Damned posted:

:siren: The Spreadsheet should now be up to date - please double check I've not missed anything, I'll try get March's gallery up by next weekend.

Ya missed the username and jurnal for me in October.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
I, Chiwie, Oath these 5 Space Marines and 6x4 MDF gaming table toppers for the month of April.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I, Floppychop, oath Celestine and one Geminae by GW

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Zark, as long as you're taking feedback for Season 9, one of the things I liked about Season 7 (my first season) was that each month had two options for the Jurnal. A couple times this season I skipped the Jurnal mainly because I didn't really have a model that fit the challenge. Now, it's just one bonus point, and maybe that means I need to stretch the limits of my creativity, but anyway, just thought I'd bring up that I liked having options :D

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
One thing I'd like to see for season 9 would be to ok having done some zenithal basecoating/shading beyond priming. I've basically dropped out of the last few months because I've been working on stuff that I do all the airbrush steps on in a batch, so I haven't had anything that I want to work on that's just primed.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I really liked the "technique of the month" journal replacement, it was a fun push to some strange things I wouldn't normally do.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I, grassy gnoll, oath for the month of April one Devil Dog and antipode, two Foxtrots, a Minuteman and a 112 (28mm Corvus Belli)

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
April Oath! 2 remotes and 3 Med-techs.
Corvus Belli

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

LazyAngel posted:

First minicrate, nice mini, very little cleanup needed so will have fun with the basing.

That went by quickly, so I'll also Oath one Celestial Elephant, from Wrath of Kings by CMON. 32mm scale, but around 4-5 high

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Oathing 3x Lotus Eaters. These are Malifaux models, Ten Thunders faction, Wyrd Games.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
April Oath!

4 Aristos from Soldiers of Fortune, Corvus Belli

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I, The Moon Monster, oath 1 Naigubu from Bushido by GCT Studios for the month of April

Something fancy for the final month

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I, Ashcans, oath this 28mm Reaper Pathfinder Tiefling for April

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I, Yvonmukluk, Oath for April 2018 12 Warlord Games Commandos* and one Warlord Games Sherman V, all 28mm.

*Technically half of them are British Airborne with headswaps, if that matters.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Zark the Damned posted:

No time for fooling around, time for my last Oath of the season!

I, Zark the Damned, Oath the following for April 2018:

One converted Imperial Knight, GW, 28mm

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint the following miniatures for April: (6) Halfling Soldiers from Westfalia Miniatures, and (7) Cursed Treasures from Ristul's Extraordinary Market!

The Halflings are zenithal primed, treasure is bare resin.

TheFinalTuba posted:

I, TheFinalTuba, oath to paint the following:
2 Interventors of Tunguska
2 Fast Pandas
1 Spektr
All Infinity, Corvus Belli

With Tunguska dropping soon, time to finally paint the models I've been hoarding. Basecoating is ok, right? Accountability oath!!! :P

Grey Hunter posted:

Remember to post the oath!

I, Grey Hunter Oath -
Darth Vader,
Luke Skywalker,
an AT-AT,
and AT-RT,
a T-47 Speeder,
2 Speeder bikes,
14 Stormtroopers
14 Rebel troopers.

All 33mm by fantasy flight games.

Lets epic this months oath, I want to play! (and I have a week off at home for once!)

NTRabbit posted:

I, NTRabbit, oath to finish off the season with

30 Forge Father Steel Warriors with assorted weapons by Mantic (28mm)

Going big, had these primed for a while and it was time to get them all done

LazyAngel posted:

Weirdo posted:

Ok, last month, no more loving around. I Weirdo Oath 20 Elf Palace Guard from Mantic, 28mm.

Galaspar posted:

For April I, Galaspar, oath three Blightlord Terminators and two Necromunda gangers

Raphus C posted:

I, Raphus C, oath 1 Ork Buggy for April (GW, 28mm)

Chiwie posted:

I, Chiwie, Oath these 5 Space Marines and 6x4 MDF gaming table toppers for the month of April.

Floppychop posted:

I, Floppychop, oath Celestine and one Geminae by GW

grassy gnoll posted:

I, grassy gnoll, oath for the month of April one Devil Dog and antipode, two Foxtrots, a Minuteman and a 112 (28mm Corvus Belli)

Red Shoe posted:

April Oath! 2 remotes and 3 Med-techs.
Corvus Belli

LazyAngel posted:

That went by quickly, so I'll also Oath one Celestial Elephant, from Wrath of Kings by CMON. 32mm scale, but around 4-5 high

Pyrolocutus posted:

Oathing 3x Lotus Eaters. These are Malifaux models, Ten Thunders faction, Wyrd Games.

KingMob posted:

April Oath!

4 Aristos from Soldiers of Fortune, Corvus Belli

The Moon Monster posted:

I, The Moon Monster, oath 1 Naigubu from Bushido by GCT Studios for the month of April

Something fancy for the final month

Ashcans posted:

I, Ashcans, oath this 28mm Reaper Pathfinder Tiefling for April

Yvonmukluk posted:

I, Yvonmukluk, Oath for April 2018 12 Warlord Games Commandos* and one Warlord Games Sherman V, all 28mm.

*Technically half of them are British Airborne with headswaps, if that matters.

Approved!

Raphus C posted:

Ya missed the username and jurnal for me in October.

Fixed!

Currently I'm working on the March Gallery, I'll have a better look at the season 9 comments after that.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

March Gallery is up - https://imgur.com/a/TpjUg - Imgur was being a dick and kept logging me out so I may have missed some failed uploads. I'll submit it to the Judges next weekend so you have until then to double check whether your pics are there.

Signal posted:

I really liked the "technique of the month" journal replacement, it was a fun push to some strange things I wouldn't normally do.

TheFinalTuba posted:

Zark, as long as you're taking feedback for Season 9, one of the things I liked about Season 7 (my first season) was that each month had two options for the Jurnal. A couple times this season I skipped the Jurnal mainly because I didn't really have a model that fit the challenge. Now, it's just one bonus point, and maybe that means I need to stretch the limits of my creativity, but anyway, just thought I'd bring up that I liked having options :D

OK, I'll try think of something for these. IIRC S7 had a Theme and Technique for each month, although largely the themes ended up being 'paint a model that is largely X colour'. If anyone has any suggestions for themes or techniques I'll try work them in somewhere!

Booley posted:

One thing I'd like to see for season 9 would be to ok having done some zenithal basecoating/shading beyond priming. I've basically dropped out of the last few months because I've been working on stuff that I do all the airbrush steps on in a batch, so I haven't had anything that I want to work on that's just primed.

Have you got some example pics of this? Zenithal shading over a primer is already allowed so I'm not sure what the issue is?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

Have you got some example pics of this? Zenithal shading over a primer is already allowed so I'm not sure what the issue is?

So I'll have vehicles at this point:

or infantry at this point:

Both of which seem past a simple zenithal prime or a basecoat, since they're multiple airbrush layers with shading and different colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Personally I'd reckon those Marines would be fine but not the Rhino (as painting's started on the side armour panels). That make sense? I'll try figure out some updated wording for the undercoat rules for them.

• Locked thread