Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Hello yes since it's so close by I would like to place an order for two (2) forum posts so as to allow the next update to take place at the top of the next page instead of the bottom of this one.

Thank you in advance~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Part 29 - Friends in High Places

Well, if this is to be the end of the road, at least we have a decent shot at going surrounded by some pretty decorations. That's better than what most people can hope for around these parts.

Just, too bad about the company.

I suggest you keep your smart-rear end remarks to yourself this time, elf. Mr. Telestrian isn't some streetmeat you can impress or intimidate. He's the brains behind the throne of Tir Tairngire and one of the richest men in Seattle.

And he holds your leash, right McKlusky? You his lapdog?

[His eyes say, "I'd love to kill you now" but his mouth continues to smirk.]

I got one of the richest an' most powerful men in the Pacific Northwest takin' care of me, dumbass. Wadda YOU got?

Indigestion.

You're dumber than I thought. Enjoy your chat. I'll dispose of your body later.

We really need to talk our way out of this somehow, there's no way in hell we can let this guy get the satisfaction. Not in a million years.

Wouldn't be an ultra-rich guy's mansion without a dapper-looking butler to go with it.

I am Mr. Quoth, Mr. Telestrian's Head of Household. Mr. Telestrian is expecting you. You will find him in his office.

Quoth in the streets, the Raven in the sheets am I right buddy

This is an extraordinary estate. May I look around before I see him?

Great, maybe we can find a secret passage which leads to the outside or something. All millionaire's mansions have at least one or two, right?

Man, but this place really is big. Feels like you'd get your daily exercise in by just walking to the bathroom and back.

Somebody else is here too from the looks of it.

Now wait a moment. I'd recognize that smug mug anywhere!

You run in some pretty different circles, don't you, Aljernon?

I do not "run" at all, Amazon. I go where I am needed. I am needed here.

Okay, my magical friend, explain yourself.

No. I do not explain. I provide a service. Seek me out after you have spoken to James Telestrian. Then perhaps I can be of service again.

Yep, that's Aljernon alright. As clear and forthcoming as ever.

There's nothing else to look at and we have no luck finding any secret passages either, so walking directly into the lion's den looks to be our only available option.

Now what kind of a monster has two statues set perfectly symmetrically on both sides of their desk, only to have one of them face a different direction from the other?!

This guy's who. James Telestrian III, CEO of Telestrian Industries and owner of the tallest drat collar in the city of Seattle. Probably employs a private hit squad for the specific purpose of making sure it stays that way.

I have been reviewing the results of your... visit to my Seattle office last night. I admit, they are impressive.

Haha, we got Silverstar fired. We might end up dead or imprisoned because of it but at least something good came out of that mess of a run. We did James here a favor, honestly.

How do you intend to settle your debt?

Would you take a check?

Oof, tough crowd.

There was also a Corporate etiquette choice here where we could've offered to work off our debt to him.

You have one piece of information which you might use as a bargaining chip in the little time you have left to live - why you took what you took. I am interested to know why you and your team of criminals fought your way through my security teams up to my private office to access the Matrix and uncover the location of a simple research project.

We could lie to him and say we're just an ordinary thief, but I get the feeling that trying to deceive this guy would be an exercise in futility and not entirely unlikely to get us killed. Besides, if he had Aegis created to kill the bug spirits and we tried to steal it in order to do the exact same thing, lying about our motivation seems like it'd only serve to make things worse for us whether he believed us or not.

So you know what, screw it, if he wants to know the truth then let's just lay it all on the table and see where it goes. Not like we have much to lose at this point.

It goes like this: Your half-brother, Sam Watts, hired me to find his own killer. He had a Dead Man's Switch. When I find the killer, I get paid.

You impress me, ma'am. My father's bastards are intentionally not well known, even to themselves. Nevertheless, I fail to see the connection between this "Sam Watts"'s death and a raid on one of my office buildings. There is no connection between the research project and the dead man that I am aware of.

Sam was killed by your half-sister Jessica. Jessica is protected by giant bugs. Aegis kills giant bugs. Kill the bugs. Kill Jessica. Get paid.

Did we mention the part about getting paid?

As a sidenote, one of the available dialogue choices if you try to lie seems to have an incorrect flag assigned to it, and picking it immediately skips this entire scene and moves on to the next one with no explanation.

Well well, things might be looking up for us after all.

It's you! You're the woman who helped me escape from the Universal Brotherhood! How did you get here?

[Telestrian cuts in quickly.]

Thank you, Marie-Louise. You have confirmed the identity of your rescuer and given me a reason to forgive her for her trespasses against me.

[She looks hungry for your help.] I'm glad you're here.

This guy's your father?

Apparently there's a bit of a discrepancy in the canon here, and other Shadowrun sources have Marie-Louise as James' younger sister rather than his daughter.

You can relax, Marie-Louise. You are safe. It is over.

And that sure worked out great for everyone involved. Hell, I'm half-convinced we would've been better off contacting Telestrian ourselves instead of getting tangled up in the Baron's questionable schemes.

In any case, it's looking like we might've finally gotten our lucky break. Having this guy and his buddies on our side sure as hell beats having them against us, we have enough problems as it is without being actively hunted by another major corporation.

I would be delighted.

I don't know if that is sarcasm or not. Just... behave.

Fade to black!

It may not look like it at first glance, but this small library we're standing in just might be the most dangerous room in the world right now.

Lady and gentlemen, this is... Amazon. She is the elf who saved my daughter and the only one who has faced our common enemy in combat. Herr Brackhaus, what does the representative of the Great Dragon Lofwyr have to tell us about the magical insect this... shadowrunner uncovered?

Lofwyr is, as mentioned, a golden Great Dragon and both the CEO and sole shareholder of the largest corporation in the world, Saeder-Krupp. Saeder-Krupp (which was originally BMW until Lofwyr somewhat dramatically took over and restructured it) is based in Germany and is involved in a huge variety of fields, either directly or through their many subsidiaries, ranging from heavy industry to telecommunications to banking and much more besides. They're the biggest and baddest fish in the corporate pond and their power and influence are practically unparalleled.

Of course this also makes Lofwyr, who has absolute control over S-K, the single richest and one of the most powerful beings on the planet. Lofwyr's best known for his calculating nature and the fact that he's rumoured to personally eat people who fail him. It's precisely because of him and his ability to always come out on top in the end regardless of the situation that "Never, ever cut a deal with a dragon" became a core rule of shadowrunners worldwide. Lofwyr can't really be considered an out-and-out villain though, and being in his employ can be quite lucrative provided you don't screw up, but he's definitely just about the last guy whose personal shitlist you want to find your name on.

My lord Lofwyr has witnessed the insect spirits' physical manifestation before - roughly 9,000 years ago. As you are aware, magic ebbs und flows from the Earth, cycling from peak to peak over the course of 5,200 years. As the level of magic grows...

Mr. Brackhaus' intimidating presence is somewhat undermined by the fact that the writers felt the need to include his German accent in his dialogue.

Actually, since it's not really relevant to the main plot and tiptoeing around it is a little annoying for everyone involved I'm just going to tell you right now that Brackhaus here is, in fact, Lofwyr himself. It's not really a secret and you're pretty much told as much if you ask about it later on anyway, but I think the dialogue here is more interesting if you're aware of the fact from the start. Him being here personally is a good indication that we're dealing with some Serious poo poo with these bugs.

And speaking of powerful beings... where to even start with this guy. To put it very briefly, Harlequin is an eccentric and immortal elven mage born back in the Fourth World some five thousand years ago. Especially at the time this game takes place (2nd edition Shadowrun) he's more akin to a living plot device than a character to the point that he officially didn't have character stats assigned to him until later, and the limits of his power are pretty much whatever the plot happens to demand. Similarly to ol' Elminster in D&D, despite his considerable powers he rarely gets directly involved in things unless he considers it absolutely necessary, instead preferring indirect assistance served with a large heaping of cryptic hints.

Incidentally, this isn't his first appearance in a Shadowrun video game as he also appeared to help out Joshua towards the end of the Sega Genesis game. He wasn't exactly a looker in that one though.

(Image courtesy of Turtilicious' LP)

In any case, we'll have the opportunity to have a more in-depth chat with both Sephiroth and Kefka here after this meeting is done.

I believe that would explain why I wasn't able to damage it. The spirit itself is extra-planar.

Academic etiquette choice here, allowing us to sound all smart.

[Aljernon eyes you keenly.]

Bravo. That is precisely the idea, the insect spirit exists on both planes simultaneously. I have been impressed with you for some time, Amazon. It is good that you are here.

Now an insect spirit can't simply thumb a ride through astral space and show up on Earth late for dinner - dinner in this case, being us.

I think it's safe to assume Aljernon was feigning ignorance when we asked him about insect spirits back at the Union, though I suppose in hindsight he never directly denied having knowledge about them. Sneaky bastard.

The best candidates are the disaffected and the disenfranchised. In short, the weak-willed. Their minds are the most susceptible to suggestion, which is helpful in making the transformation. As you may imagine, these are the sort of people easily attracted to a cult - such as the Universal Brotherhood.

Finally, by performing what has to be a truly disgusting ritual, the shaman serving the insect totem implants the spirit into the host - willingly or not. Then it's feeding time.

Har'lea'quinn iss correct. The insect spirit will then slowly consume its host, while transforming it into the spirit's own insectoid body, thus manifesting itself fully on this plane.

I don't like the sound of this.

You shouldn't. It's bad. Really, really bad.

The initial bugs prepare a nest for the summoning of a Queen. Once a nest has its Queen, she literally explodes with newly-manifested insect spirits. They swarm out of the nest, feasting on all the flesh they can find and implanting more insect spirits into the fresh corpses. Again, and again, and again.

Of all the potential ways for the apocalypse to come to pass, everyone being eaten by spooky bugs would be an especially lame and gross one.

This is not an infestation, Amazon. It is an invasion.

My lord Lofwyr knew this day would come, but he did not know precisely when nor where. Your rescue of Mr. Telestrian's daughter has exposed the existence of an insect spirit for the first time in this cycle of the world.

So you're early to the party this time. That gives you the upper hand, right?

Herr Telestrian's biotechnology and agricultural divisions worked with my lord Lofwyr's thaumaturgical engineers and designed Project Aegis to destroy an insect spirit once it is released from its host. The formula, a fluorescing astral bacteria strain, exists in the physical and astral plane at once and can thus affect the insect spirit.

Now that was a mouthful. Did you memorize it or are you reading it off of index cards?

Harlequin is fully aware of Brackhaus' true identity, which makes his casual jabs at the guy pretty hilarious.

My Director of R&D, Diane Ravenwood, will explain how Project Aegis will be used in the field. Dr. Ravenwood?

In order to destroy one of the bugs, it must first be damaged using conventional weapons or magic until the spirit is released from the host body. Then the insect spirit must be shot with the Project Aegis prototype launcher to destroy it.

"Shot with", huh? We kind of put all our focus on drones and decking so we're not very good at shooting things, but I'm sure they can accommodate instead of making this extremely critical tool completely reliant on one's skill in ranged weapons.

So in order to stop an invasion of insects from another dimension, a dragon and an elf co-created a magical insecticide.

This is maybe a bit of a flimsy justification for why it's us who have to do the job despite being surrounded by people with power and resources beyond our comprehension, but ending the game here would admittedly be a little anti-climactic.

I'm flattered, but what makes you think this Project Aegis will actually work in practice?

[Harlequin grins and his red lipstick catches the light.]

Because it has to.

If only we could've had this guy to talk with inbetween missions back at the Union instead of those boring merchants.

Enough. Are you willing to undergo this mission, Amazon?

Much like with the Baron before the Telestrian run, we could accept immediately. But maybe we can push our luck a little.

I'm a professional, and professionals get paid for their work. I assume that serving all mankind involves compensation.

Of course. Here is my proposal. If you prevent the Queen from being summoned and destroy the insects in the nest, one million nuyen will be divided by the surviving team members.

:signings: :signings: :signings: Boy have we been working for the wrong people. With the Corporate etiquette we could negotiate ourselves an extra half-million on top of that, but I guess we'll have to make do.

One million? Sign me up.

Excellent.

[Harlequin claps his hands as if seeing the circus for the first time.]

I love the way that the short-lived are willing to die even faster - it's very inspirational.

Odds of this being foreshadowing for the final boss fight are roughly 100%.

Hey, don't scare the kid, Hansel. We still need her to go on the mission! By the by, I'm coming with you, Amazon. I wouldn't mind seeing these creatures for myself since I missed 'em last time. Telestrian will bankroll you so you can hire the rest of the team.

And he does so immediately, to the tune of 10,000 nuyen.

Find me when you're ready to go and we'll bug right out of here.

And together with a reward of 8 Karma the meeting comes to a close, as does this update. Things have progressed pretty quickly and are definitely coming to a head now, but before we make our final assault on Antland we do still have some preparations to do and a couple of interesting people to talk to.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 6, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Yeah, I like Harlequin here which was probably noticeable in the update. Overall despite its blatantly fanservice-y nature, this whole part where you're just hanging out with some of the biggest names in Shadowrun is amongst my favorites across all three games. Not at the top by any means, but somewhere up there.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Aren't there a set of dialogue options for this part that are something like thinly-veiled disdain, tempered by the fact that you've absolutely been caught with your pant down? Been a long time since I played DMS.

To a degree, sure. You can straight-up say that you were only hired to solve a murder and all this stuff really isn't your problem, but Telestrian is pretty quick to point out that you're in no position to refuse because the only real thing that makes you uniquely qualified, the fact that you've fought the insect spirits before, also holds true for the runners you brought with you for the Brotherhood run. If you won't do it then he'll get rid of you and hire one of them to lead the assault instead.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

There's a couple more short stories relevant to the characters in the game left, the first of which is The Road to Hell by Phaedra Weldon. It sheds some light on the enigmatic Baron Samedi and what exactly went down with him before the events of the game.

Shadowrun Anthology posted:

The Road to Hell, Part 1

Someone said the road to hell is paved with the bodies of your enemies.

That’s not exactly true.

It’s littered with the remnants of your dreams.

We all have them. Dreams. We’re born with them, and when we’re young, if we’re lucky to have parents who care and nurture us, and not soul-sucking pieces of drek who waste their lives in a BTL haze, we’re encouraged to live those dreams.

But even our parents can’t stop those with power and influence. If they want you beat down, they’ll win. But it’s up to you, chummer, to rise from the ashes.

After moving to Seattle, I discovered my Matrix persona, Baron Samedi, had garnered a bit of rep cred back home in New Orleans. Once settled in our new doss, the jobs came steady and the clients paid on time. Picked up a partner named Tex Mex who covered my back enough for me to count her as a chummer. All was well.

Then a new client contacted me. Easy in, easy out. Only that wasn’t the whole story, and Tex and I found ourselves under fire two minutes in. I won’t say I’d gotten a bit cocky. My search hadn’t tagged the node as heavily secured because it wasn’t using one of the generic attack programs employed for basic security nowadays.

The program chasing us through the target node looked like a multiplying army of black clad ninjas with Uzis. It was an old-school crawler, the kind they used to use for search engines. Simple, but effective, and since not many deckers wrote on the fly against them, experience wasn’t something this particular piece of drek worried about. But then again, it hadn’t met me before.

I was good at thinking on my feet, in the Matrix and out of it. Besides, I had a rep for null-footprint. I needed Tex up front with me. Her rig had more memory than mine, and if I had to write code, I was going to need all of mine and use hers for the paydata.

I pulled my icon back behind a wall and tucked my weapon into my back pocket. To anyone in the Matrix, Baron Samedi resembled a darkskinned guy with a face painted like a skull, top hat, and black penguin suit. Didn’t spring for the slick shoes, though. I preferred a nice set of Doc Martens under the ribbon-trimmed slacks.

There was a slight pause through my cyber terminal as I typed the new code. Not having my own datajack was flagging as a real handicap, but I’d never been able to afford one. I figured if I got the right dataslave job, the corp that hired me would spring for the best. And if I could maneuver like pro with a terminal, just imagine what kind of nuyen I could rack up with a Fuchi Cyber 4, or even a Fairlight Excalibur.

“Tex, ready a capture. I’m out of memory.”

“So ka.”

I’m three months away from graduating from a primo High School. Managed a scholarship on my grades in my tenth year, so my dad transferred from New Orleans to Seattle. Took a cut in pay to do it. He was proud. Me... being a human in a school that was 90% Elf had its... well... it was drek. First month in, I’d dodged more attempts to end my short-lived school career than I ever had in the Matrix. The fact I was smarter than most of the students there didn’t help.

Eventually my newness wore off, but my exemplary grades still fragged off one of the hotter-headed elves. Real drek sucker named Alexander Tolemy. Pasty skin, thin white hair, and a face that looked like he had his nose in the crapper. Alexander hated me simply because I used his air.

The fact his father was the head of Telestrian Security for the school annoyed the drek out of me. I didn’t want to catch his attention, or that of Lone Star. I stuck to my usual MO: small jobs, stay solid, and null-footprint.

Tex had dreams of being a shadowrunner some day. Eh... not me. Too dangerous. I wanted a steady paycheck so I could treat my dad in his old age. Steady, old, and shadowrunner weren’t part of the same sentence.

My search signaled my target data on the other side of the ninjas. I gave Tex the signal and launched my defense. The idea was to bait and switch. A crawler acted a lot like a zombie, reacting to loud noises and vibrations. So I gave them multiple targets, little laughing skulls to mirror my own. Each skull did minimal damage, just surface drek really, enough to catch the crawler’s attention so my own non-damaging movements weren’t labeled a threat.

Slipping past them, I found the filing cabinet in the back room. I used the code the client had supplied, and it opened. The file looked like a lunchbox. Really, it looked like it was made of tin with the picture of a school bus on it. I slipped it into my bag, moved past the dancing skulls.

I pulled out the lunch box for Tex to download.

“Baron—”

“Yeah?”

“What’s that?”

I dodged a flurry of shurikens as they stuck into the walls and doorframe around us. “It’s the file—”

She grabbed it, opened it, pulled out a thermos and then tossed the box at the ninjas. The thermos dissolved, meaning it downloaded, and she grabbed my arm. “Bounce!”

Her abrupt fear fueled my own. Not wanting to get scragged, I jumped out of the node, not really caring about the null-footprint any more.

The connection terminated and I powered the terminal down and sat back, rubbing my eyes.

“Harkeem?”

It always amazed me how my dad knew when I’d logged off. “Yeah?” My voice sounded fuzzy.

“It’s after eleven. You need to get some sleep.”

Drek. Homework was done and uploaded already, and I’d cleaned the dishes before logging in. Job was done, but I couldn’t sleep just yet. I wanted to meet with Tex real quick. Though sleep sounded really good, and I could get the chip from Tex after school tomorrow, I needed to talk to her.

So I sent her a message.

Gonna grab a snack at the stuffer.

“See you in the morning.” I could hear my dad shuffling off to bed.

I splashed water on my face, toweled off, grabbed a jacket, boots, and a credstick I’d already loaded for Tex. Stepping out into the cool, misting Seattle night was always a good way to get the after images of what I called Matrix sludge out of my brain. And I liked walking. Being stuck at a desk, and then a terminal—didn’t want to get lazy, you know? I kept my dreads coiffed and clean, but I also had to keep my figure trimmed for my lady.

Marie-Louise. Tall, gorgeous, and all elf. She was also the daughter of James Telestrian, owner and CEO of Telestrian Industries. So far the big man hadn’t really engaged in his daughter and my relationship. I hoped the status quo stayed chill.

Tex knew to meet me at the Stuffer Shack over on Pike Street. Porkchip let us use the back storage room.

The place had gone through three owners since Dad and I had moved to the area. First a little Asian man, then a dwarf with some serious skin issues. After that Porkchip showed up, an ork with more metal in his head than I’d seen in our doss. He had cyber eyes and most of his dome was chrome. Even his tusks had been replaced with chrome spikes.

The guy looked odd behind the counter in an apron. But he was straight up chummer and decent.

Porkchip waved and nodded to the back when I stepped in. Tex was already there.

She was pacing too. A goblinized teen, she’d been ten when it happened. Her ork physique was in better shape than my human one, and she had smaller than usual tusks. Her pointed ears peeked through wet, raven hair.

Tex palmed me the chip and I gave her the credstick. Something in her eyes worried me. “Hoi, Tex. What gives?”

“That lunch box was a double-blind, and the thermos is a data bomb.”

I leaned back and felt water drip from my dreads down my neck in a successful parody of a cold chill running down my spine. “A what?”

“Data bombs are usually used for corporate drek. They disseminate a lot of information into targeted nodes, usually the ones used for news.” She rubbed her chin. “They work well for smear campaigns. Most politicians hire out to find those kinds of things and frag ‘em.”

“My client hired me to find this one?”

“Dunno. When I downloaded it, I chipped it immediately because I didn’t want to trip it. Which, I assume, happens when someone opens it. I called a friend — remember the runner I told you about?”

“Yeah... Ardent or something?”

“Argent. I told him about the lunchbox and thermos. I thought I’d heard him mention the icons before.”

“And?”

“They’re the signature icons for Telestrian Security. Someone had a data-bomb ready for someone at your school.”

I found Marie with her friends down by the tennis courts. Despite last night’s weirdness, I had good news I wanted to share with her. Except when I saw her, she looked upset.

“What’s going on?” I kept my hands shoved into the pockets of my school uniform pants as we talked away from her crowd.

She crossed her arms over her chest. “Harkeem, my father says you were involved with drugs in New Orleans. That you’re a bad influence, and he said he had some information he’d dug up on you.”

“Information?” I had a clear memory of my school rep in New Orleans. It wasn’t much different than here, and I’d never dealt drugs. “What information? If there’s something out there, I’d like to know.”

“He said Alexander’s dad, Mr. Tolemy, had found all kinds of trash on you in the Matrix and brought it to his attention, but when I told him to prove it, he couldn’t find it. Mr. Tolemy came over, and the two were screaming at each other.” She reached out and put a hand on my chest. It took all my drekking willpower not to pull her into my arms. “I don’t want to believe it, and the fact he couldn’t find it made it seem sort of ridiculous.”

“Come on, Marie — have you ever seen me take drugs? Or buy or sell them? And I’m sure you did your own search on me when we met.” I winked at her. “Did you find anything?”

“No.”

“You know Alex has been gunning for me ever since I scored higher than him on our last Matrix infrastructure sim. And if no one else believes it, I’m still convinced he’s got his dad to going along with trying to smear me. It might even be his idea. I’m pretty sure he’s seen this, and that’s why he’s making all this up.” I reached into my back pocket, pulled out a print of an email I’d received last night, and handed it to her. “I’m a straight-up, respectable guy, Marie. Always have been.”

I watched her beautiful eyes widen as she read it. Her face glowed when she looked up at me. “Knight Errant offered you a position?”

I nodded, trying to stay casual about it. “Apparently they think I’ve got the grades to work in the corp security division in research and development. Did you see where they’re offering to continue my education, and—” Waggling my eyebrows, I tapped my temple. “—install a serious data jack?”

Her grin was infectious, and when she jumped up into my arms, I couldn’t stop myself from pressing a kiss against her soft, supple lips.

“I’m so proud of you.”

“That means a lot to me. I’d never jeopardize this future — our future — over drugs, or anything else. I want to prove to you that a guy like me from New Orleans can make it.”

She kissed me that time. “I always knew you could.”

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

The Road to Hell, Part 2

When Alexander and his cronies showed up in the tech-lab after school, I wasn’t really surprised. Not happy, but null-perspiration. Cheyanne, whose mother taught tenth-grade magical logistics and history, was on his way here. A year older than me, he was attending his tribe’s private school. He and I became friends when he saw my icon online and figured out who I was. He didn’t have a datajack either, not wanting the tech to mess with his magic. But he did, on occasion, visit the Matrix with Tex and I.

“You were warned, Harkeem.” Alexander shook his head as he set his book bag on a terminal. “Stay away from Marie-Louise.”

“She can make up her own mind, Alex.” I kept my voice steady and silently wished Cheyanne would show up now. I’m not defenseless. I did grow up in the New Orleans sprawl. But since arriving in Seattle and spending a lot more time online, I’d let some of my reflexes go to drek. I could probably scrag pretty boy easily, but with all of his chummers joining in? Not likely.

The elf stopped in his tracks, his expression hardening. A lot of the teachers at the school were elf, along with a few humans, orks and one troll who taught physical education. The elf teachers usually kept their expressions muted. Alexander wasn’t that good at it yet, and what I saw in his thin face and weird drekking eyes was a bit more than anger.

I saw rage. This guy hated me.

“Not the way I hear it,” Alexander continued in his thin voice. “Word is you’ve brought your drug culture here to the school, and that’s how you can afford to live in that house. You have nice things because you sell drugs, Harkeem. Because I know your father doesn’t make nearly enough to make those payments.”

“You’re guessing, Alex.”

“Don’t call me that.”

“Alexander, let’s just frag his rear end and go. I’m hungry.”

I didn’t pay attention to which of them said this because I was too shocked that they’d said it out loud.

“Well, well, well,” said a familiar voice. “Looks like a meeting of the dandelion club.”

Everyone turned to see Cheyanne standing in the doorway. He was tall, with tan skin, and tribal tats on his neck and shoulders. His hair was long and dark, a single braid down his back. Not a shine of tech on him anywhere, not even the glimpse of a weapon, but power and control radiated off of him in waves. I wouldn’t have been surprised if one of the leaf munchers had pissed his pants right about now.

Alexander’s face turned even paler for a second, but he recovered fast. “You don’t belong here, Cheyanne.”

He took several steps in. “You know what’s fascinating about a totem, drek-head? They can hear things and tell me. And mine told me what you just said.”

“You didn’t hear anything.”

“Really? Care to wager about that? If you really know what Mr. Marshall makes, then that fact alone breaks a whole drekking mess of school rules of confidentiality, since the only way you’d know it is if you’d decked in and took a peek-a-boo. So, unless you’d like to be brought up before the board in a disciplinary hearing, I suggest you frag off.” He leaned forward. “Now.

Alexander’s posse split, but he took his time leaving, shooting me one last dark look before disappearing behind the door.

I slumped over and banged my head on the terminal I’d been working at. “Drek.”

He stood in front of me. “Let’s go. We need to talk.”

Cheyanne had his mother’s old car. It was beat to drek, but it moved when it needed to. And since it was already old and in rough shape, most of the gangers left it alone. He pulled up near my house and cut the engine. “Tex told me what you found last night.”

I told him what Marie Louise said about her dad having information about me selling drugs in New Orleans. “So, I wonder if what I snatched was what Mr. Telestrian said he’d found.”

He reached into his bag and handed me a credstick. “It was. I was your client.”

My jaw hit the console between the seats. “What the frag? You knew it was there?”

“Mom said something to me a few nights ago. The dandelions talk around her because they don’t think she’s paying attention, or they seem to think she’s stupid. She overheard one of the board members talking to Edward Tolemy about digging up scratch on you in New Orleans. I’d already done that for a possible chummer, so I knew you were pretty much a null-head there.”

I gave him a sour look. “Possible chummer? Someone paid you to look me up?”

“Chill. Not you as Harkeem. They’re looking for a local decker, and I wanted to recommend Baron Samedi. And I knew he’d want a file.”

“Who?”

“Tex’s friend. We’ve already collaborated on a few jobs.” Cheyanne winked. “I play the Shaman.”

I held out my hands. “Uh uh, Chey. I don’t want to be a shadowrunner.”

“Yeah, Tex said you were planning on dataslaving. Which is drek, Hark. You got chops and you got style. You’re already getting a name out there in the Matrix. You get things done, and you’re known to be a ghost.”

“Yeah, but I’m not sure about last night.”

“They don’t know who took the data. Mom already checked. James is furious and chewed Tolemy out. I’m pretty it was all set to seed its way throughout the Matrix. If it got loose, there’s no way you’d be able to clear your name.”

I sat quiet for a while, feeling a weight settle on my shoulders. “But why? I mean, I never did a thing to Telestrian, or anyone else. I mind my own business. I get good grades. And I got a good offer over at Knight Errant.”

He nodded. “Marie-Louise loves you, Hark. And that’s all it takes.” Cheyanne shrugged. “Look, there’s nothing saying they won’t try and plant another bit of bad news. Mom’s keeping her ears open, but if they notice it goes missing every time she’s around, they’ll keep their traps shut. So, I figure maybe the two of you chill should ‘til after graduation? Not sure how much Telestrian’s influence extends to Knight Errant. Might want to wait till Marie is old enough to live on her own? She’s only sixteen, you know.”

“I know. And don’t think I haven’t worried he’d try to get me for statutory rape.”

Cheyanne’s eyes widened. “Chummer, you haven’t—”

“Naw. I wouldn’t, either. I’m a good man, Cheyanne. You know that.”

“I do. As for the data, do not open it on a connected system. Might pay to poke around in it, see how it’s done. Once you get the program, shoot it over to Tex.”

Before I got out of the car, I turned to look at him. “Did your totem really tell you Alexander said that?”

Cheyanne snorted. “Drek, no. The dandelion’s got a big mouth — I heard him all the way down the hall.”

My locker was sealed the next morning when I got to school. Before I could turn around, I was surrounded by a trio of Telestrian Security and escorted like a criminal to the principal’s office.

I’d never met Edward Tolemy, Alexander’s father. I’d only heard of him, but I spotted him first in the room. Alexander was the spitting image of him, right down to the “I smell drek” expression.

The principal looked anything but happy, but I wasn’t sure if it was directed at me or the number of bodies packed into her small office. “Let’s get down to business.” She fixed her unhappy gaze on me. “Harkeem, Mr. Tolemy brought several students to my office this morning who claim you sold them drugs on school property.” She held up a hand when I opened my mouth. “They also searched your locker — without my permission — and claimed to have found drugs there.” She looked at the others standing around. “As I was saying before you brought Mr. Marshall in, you did not follow the proper procedures in searching this boy’s locker.”

“We don’t have to have a warrant, Mrs. Fuller.” Edward Tolemy said in a pinched voice. “Telestrian Security has full jurisdiction on school grounds.”

“That may be, Mr. Tolemy, but you do have to abide by board of education law, which states that while lockers are indeed school property, they must be opened in the presence of a school official. Since there wasn’t one present, meaning you had no witness, I’m going to have to dismiss any evidence against this boy that you claim you might have discovered in his locker.”

Mr. Tolemy turned bright red. “Mrs. Fuller, I’m pretty sure Mr. Telestrian will have something to say about your lack of cooperation.”

I’d never seen Mrs. Fuller mad before. And seeing her stand and face down an elf of Mr. Tolemy’s standing, I hoped I never saw her that mad again. “Do not even try to intimidate me, Edward Tolemy. You did not follow the proper procedures, and the last time I checked, the school was not under martial law to be carried out by Telestrian Security. Now,” she looked at me and I actually swayed back a little. “Mr. Marshall, what does concern me are the allegations of you selling drugs.”

I waited a few beats, making sure she wanted me to speak. “Mrs. Fuller, ma’am, I have never sold drugs. And I have never used them. I would gladly submit to a witnessed drug test or polygraph to prove my innocence. I’ve worked hard since being granted my scholarship, and if I did something as boneheaded as taking or selling drugs, that would be disrespecting this establishment, you, myself, and most importantly, my dad. And of all the people I never want to disappoint, it would be him.”

I knew I had her when she smiled at me. “Very well put, Mr. Marshall.”

“Mrs. Fuller—” Mr. Tolemy began.

She raised a hand. “Silence.”

“Ma’am,” I continued, thinking quick on my feet. How could I turn this around? It was obvious this was a set up, and I was pretty sure from her reactions, Mrs. Fuller saw it that way as well. So, the best possible thing to do now was to give her an out so she could step away from the spotlight and do some investigating of her own. “If I may... since these students claimed I sold them drugs on school property, then wouldn’t they be just as guilty as I? If there is to be any punishment, I’m not sure justice serves the good of the school if an example isn’t made of all involved. You can’t sell, or purchase, any illegal substance on the school grounds.”

Mrs. Fuller smiled. “You are right, Mr. Marshall.” She looked at me and then looked at Tolemy. “I’m afraid I’m going to have to place all of the students involved on suspension pending a hearing on the matter. And since Mr. Marshall has offered to take a drug test as well as a polygraph, I see no reason why those accusing him of selling drugs wouldn’t also agree to such.”

“I won’t have this!”

I glanced at Mr. Tolemy. Wow. He was red. And angry. And glaring at me. Mrs. Fuller’s smile vanished, replaced by an even angrier glare. “And I won’t have you marching into this school, disrupting its operation, and making accusations against a student who has shown nothing but exemplary actions since his arrival. Now, if you feel you must do your job, Mr. Tolemy, how about escorting all the children off campus — including your son.”

Oh, drek.

No wonder he was so fragged at me. Alexander was one of drek-heads accusing me? Ha! That meant his own son was caught in the lie.

I nodded to Mrs. Fuller, who looked sad and furious at the same time, and left her office in front of the Telestrian Security people.

Sitting on Cheyanne’s car across from the school, we watched as the other five students walked out. I saw Marie Louise standing on the lawn and waved to her. She glared at me and walked away. When I leaped off the car to follow her, Cheyanne grabbed my arm. “No. You can’t go back on school grounds till Mrs. Fuller lifts the suspension.”

I wanted to talk to Marie-Louise. I wanted to let her know it was all a lie. She’d believed me once, had faith in me. Surely she had to know this wasn’t real, right? “This is a nightmare. What if Knight Errant gets hold of this and withdraws their offer?”

“I don’t think this is big enough for them to really care, Hark. So don’t worry. Just trust that Mrs. Fuller will do what’s right.”

“I just want this to be over.”

Cheyanne spoke in a low voice as he watched Alexander walk down the street. “Hate to say it, but I think it’s just beginning.”

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

The Road to Hell, Part 3

I got a message from Tex that evening to meet her around midnight at Porkchip’s. When I messaged back to confirm, she didn’t respond. It was odd for her to want to meet that late, especially without doing a run. I hadn’t been online since snatching the data bomb. But I had carefully loaded it into an isolated terminal I had. It was dad’s old one, not very powerful, but steady and reliable.

What I found in the data bomb really fragged me off. It was the worst load of drek I’d ever read about myself, and not a word of it was true. It was like someone had yanked some ganger’s profile in New Orleans and slapped my name on it. It was well done, with details about my life back home, even my mom’s death. Cheyanne had been right, if this thing would have gotten into the Matrix, it’d be years before I could clean all the false information up—and my life would still have been derailed for good.

I locked and chipped what I had and put it in a good hiding place be fore I checked on dad, who was asleep on the couch. He hadn’t taken my suspension very well, and though he said he believed me, I felt that somewhere deep inside, he was afraid it was true. That I’d fallen victim to the same life that killed my mom. But it wasn’t true, and I was sure I’d find a way to prove my innocence. I just didn’t know how.

When I got to the Stuffer Shack it was closed, which I knew it would be. Porkchip didn’t stay open past midnight, too many cutthroat elements come out of the shadows. That and the city shuts half the neighborhood lights off to conserve nuyen.

I stood on the corner, looking up and down the dark street. I didn’t see any sign of Tex so I slipped a credstick into the corner phone. As I did, something very hard and solid hit me below my shoulders. The impact drove me into the phone. I clipped my forehead on the thing’s top and dropped the handset.

Another shot, this one to the side of my head, made me see stars. A third to my right knee dropped me to the ground. For a long time I wasn’t sure if what was happening was a dream, that I’d somehow logged into the Matrix and gotten fragged on a node, or if I was really getting the drek beat out of me just outside the Stuffer Shack. I managed to ball myself up as something struck me over and over again, against my head, my back, my side, my legs.

After so many blows, the pain had created an agonizing wall around me, something that blocked out sound and sight. It was impossible to move, and I was pretty sure I’d passed out until I was roughly grabbed and hauled to my feet. I couldn’t support myself — something was wrong with my knees — hands held me in place under my shoulders.

Someone grabbed my hair and pulled my head back. I couldn’t see out of my left eye at all, and the pain made everything else flash red. A single streetlight illuminated figures, and recognition dawned too late. Tex hadn’t messaged me.

It’d been a trap.

At first I thought Alexander stood in front of me. The image swam, and I blinked a few times to clear it up. It was Edward Tolemy, his father. They all wore black coats with hoods to hide their pointed ears, but I could see their faces. They wanted me to see them.

Tolemy reached out and grabbed my jaw, shoving my lips against my teeth, making it impossible to speak. But it hurt too much to try. “Thought you’d frag it all up, didn’t you? I had it all planned, exactly the way James wanted it, and then someone went in and just plucked my little treasure out. Now, you wouldn’t have had anything to do with that, would you? Hired a decker, maybe?”

“Dad,” Alexander stepped up. “Let’s go. He’s fragged. Look at him. We did our job.”

“No, he’s not fragged enough — not nearly enough. I’m going to make him pay for embarrassing me in front of James. No one — especially not some puny little human — is going to get the better of me. You owe me, Mr. Marshall. You owe me.

“Dad—” I had to admit, old sonny-boy Alex actually sounded worried. Me? I wasn’t really feeling anything much. Just a lot of pain. And I wanted to lie down. I just wanted them to put me down. “Stop. We’re not supposed to kill him. Mr. Telestrian didn’t want him like this. Let’s go!”

“Shut the frag up and watch how your father handles the weak and the stupid.”

I saw him raise the pipe.

“Dad- NO!”

And then I didn’t see or feel anything else.

Six weeks went by. I was in a coma for four of them.

When I came out of it, I couldn’t feel my legs. My dad told me I’d never feel them again. The nurses said he’d been with me the whole time. I worried that he’d lose his job. But apparently he was given a leave of absence. Just... it was okay.

I learned through an official letter than I’d been expelled from school after finding me guilty of selling drugs. My beating was supposedly given to me from some gang I’d never heard of, in retribution for losing my selling contacts at the school. They took it at face value. And besides, how could I protest? I’d been in a coma. And when I finally could speak, no one bothered to ask me who did it. They’d already made up their mind. The beat down of some kid wasn’t worth Lone Star’s attention to investigate. Besides, Telestrian Security handled it all.

Knight Errant politely withdrew their offer as well. I left the letter on the table by the bed the day I was discharged. I was surprised when I was given a top-of-the-line chair, motorized. I figured I should be happy it didn’t require a baggy and funnel. I was paralyzed from the waist down, but luckily all my plumbing still worked.

The house had a new ramp too, for the chair. Small improvements inside made me question dad a bit more when we were finally alone in the living room.

“I’m not sure,” he’d replied when I asked him about the hospital, the chair, the ramp. “But everything’s been paid for. Hospital said it was a charitable donor, a philanthropist that wanted to remain anonymous. They paid for the hospital, the chair, and a donation of a half million nuyen.”

Only guilt made anyone that nice.

The single, burning memory of that night was Alexander telling his father to stop, that Mr. Telestrian didn’t want me beaten. I assumed finding any proof that James Telestrian paid the bills would be impossible, but it gave me an excuse to return to the Matrix.

Everything looked just how I’d left it that night, only covered in a layer of dust. I’d half expected it to be gone, confiscated by Telestrian Security. Was my keeping it another concession, a handout for paralyzing me?

More than a month had passed since I walked in the Matrix, and it felt good to walk, even if it wasn’t real. I skipped dinner, and then saw the dawn come up, and still hadn’t found anything tying the mysterious philanthropist to James Telestrian. There wasn’t a shred of tangible proof, but there was my gut. And the empty pit inside of it would never forgive what they’d done to me.

Marie-Louise blocked my calls. She accepted my guilt, just as all my “friends” had. Dad never saw her at the hospital while I was in the coma. She never came after I woke. Maybe she’d written me off, and maybe her love wasn’t what I’d believed it to be. But you see, mine was. And I still loved her.

My anger charged my vow to prove to her that her father had set me up. I was innocent. But no one cared. My future was gone, along with my hopes and my legs.

My road was paved with broken dreams.

It took a week to rewrite the bomb, disengaging protocols and making sure it would never be linked to me. But it would have Baron Samedi’s smiling skull on it.

As the Baron, I could move in the shadows and be nothing more than smoke.

Tex was ready to drop the bomb when it was ready. She’d confirmed never calling me that night, and being used for such a nefarious plan fragged her off. She took that bomb and set it right in the middle of Lone Star’s news node.

Boom.

Within a day, Edward Tolemy was arrested by Lone Star, wanted in seven territories for kidnapping, smuggling, drug running, and a whole list of other offenses that would keep him tied up in legal fees for a hundred years. And since elves were long-lived, it’d haunt him for a very long time.

The trideo crews were at his home when Lone Star escorted him out. James Telestrian was on the trid giving a simultaneous speech, denouncing Tolemy’s actions, claiming to have no knowledge of what his head of security had done, and declaring he’d get to the bottom of everything and make it right.

I made sure I was front and center for Edward Tolemy to see. I wanted to be the last person he saw before they took him away. I smiled at him as he passed, so he’d know what I’d done to him.

James was embarrassed, if only for a short while. Tolemy was disgraced. And Alexander? Seems the poor distraught elf was caught cheating, his fingerprints found in the school’s node, evidence that he’d decked in and changed his grades. Too bad. So sad.

Was I happy? Best as I could be. I still had half a million of what I believed was James Telestrian’s money squirreled away where even he couldn’t touch it, enough to get a top of the line data jack and the perfect deck. Argent was ready when I was.

It’s been five months since I came home, and every night I dive the Matrix. I don’t call myself a Shadowrunner. I find what people want, and all the while I look for the opportunity to find the data I need to clear my name, and show Marie-Louise the truth.

And maybe, just maybe, the road to hell won’t be so painful one day.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 6, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Glad people are liking the stories, I figured they'd make for good bonus content and maybe give people who have already played through the game something new to see as well. They're easily skipped if you don't care anyway.

There are 16 stories in total in the Anthology of which I'll post one more (a good one for fans of the Harlequin-Brackhaus duo such as myself), plus a bunch of concept art and other miscellaneous pictures such as this one of a dragon playing with a cat.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Part 30 - Final Preparations

This is going to be a pretty brief and straightforward update, mostly consisting of us asking everyone present a whole bunch of questions. We'll start our grand tour of inquiry from the mysterious magic vendor nearby.

This is the last opportunity to shop in the game, so there's no sense in saving up if you're still in need of something.

I have some questions first.

Speak them.

Were you spying on me at the Seamstresses Union?

[His eyes widen at the question.] You mistake your importance, Amazon. No, I was not spying on you. Until Mr. Telestrian's summons, you were beneath my notice. I saw only a customer.

What happened to "I've been impressed with you for some time"? Why do you have to be such a jerk, Aljernon?

Are you really here?

[Aljernon's face takes on a dreamy expression.]

Are any of us? Yes, Amazon, I am here. And at the Seamstresses Union. And a myriad of other places.

Who exactly are you?

I am a peddler of magical spells, spirits, and foci. Nothing more.

Truly?

Aw to hell with you. We need to find someone more reasonable and less arrogant to talk with.

Like Lofwyr here.

How did the insect spirits get here?

Unpleasant. Guess Jessica isn't just your run-of-the-mill crazy, the bugs have been literally taking over her mind.

Eventually, the shaman completely succumbs, choosing the contentment and sense of clear purpose that being part of a hive provides. Perform your role. Serve your queen. That is all.

And where do they come from?

As the level of magic in the Sixth World grows the - for the lack of a better word - the *distance* between the various planes of reality decreases. When the membrane between the planes is thin enough, ritual magic may be used to draw beings from one to another.

If Lofwyr had seen this before and knew another was coming, why didn't he move faster?

Based upon previous cycles of magic, the first insects are not due to appear for another 700 years. My lord Lofwyr believed he was well ahead of schedule. But something is different this time. It iss... concerning.

Why do you think it's different this time?

Perhaps it is due to the population of humans and meta-humans on Earth being so much higher than in previous ages. As a result, the volume of magic created by sentient beings is correspondingly higher. Or perhaps it is the density of the population coupled with the advances of society and technology that has altered things.

I kind of love this hilariously dreary idea that people have become so aware of the misery and meaninglessness of their garbage lives that it actually manifests as a supernatural force affecting the world.

So what's it like to serve a Great Dragon?

[The German man's eyes narrow.] Do not misconstrue my relationship with Lord Lofwyr. I do not serve.

They drop a few hints about Brackhaus' true identity here and there, if you know to keep an eye out for them.

Alright, I should go.

Yes. Good luck.

Telestrian has returned to his office and can be found at his desk.

Tell me more about Project Aegis.

Telestrian Industries Corporation has been working on Project Aegis for two years without fully understanding its use. Lofwyr did not trust me with the information. My engineers finally met the Dragon's specifications 3 months ago and had just begun the production process when my cousin Lynne hired shadowrunners to destroy the lab and the factory - leaving us only the sample you stole.

Pretty impressive that Lynne knew to blow the place up when even the people making the stuff apparently didn't know what it was for.

Why was Marie-Louise taken by the Universal Brotherhood?

How exactly do I use Aegis?

My people have weaponized the Project Aegis formula by creating shells which, when fired, propel a high-velocity cloud of the material which should be effective at killing exposed insect spirits. There are more effective ways to deliver Aegis - obviously - but time was of the essence and I needed to improvise.

Right. I should go.

Indeed.

The good detective is still around too.

We're all gonna die, McKlusky.

Yeah, but you're gonna die screaming.

I think he secretly likes us.

Marie-Louise is hanging out in the main hall.

Yep.

Thank you. For everything.

Could be worse. Could be raining.

[She smiles.] It's Seattle. But you look like you have questions.

Why were you locked up at the Universal Brotherhood?

This particular incident is covered in a short story from the Shadowrun Returns Anthology which I posted in the thread but which probably won't be included in the archived version.

My aunt Lynne told me the truth about Harkeem and how my father lied. She preyed upon my anger. I was so disgusted with him, it was easy for her to get me to leave and join her new family at the Universal Brotherhood.

And what did she and the UB want with you?

I know that feeling, I've played through multiple Bethesda games.

Was it Harkeem who helped you in the Matrix?

I wonder if the sample we stole was already in launcher form or if Samedi was planning on having us gently spray it on the spirits' faces or something. Though let's be honest, he probably never planned that far.

So, what did Harkeem tell you about us breaking into your father's office?

Nothing. I haven't spoken to him since last night. Why? What happened?

It went as planned until your father's people found me and brought me in.

Not exactly true, but she doesn't need to know the grisly details.

We could've also told her the truth for a very different reaction:

quote:

We went in hard and fast. It got bloody.

But a more interesting option is being an rear end in a top hat and lying to her:

quote:

He hasn't contacted you?

No, and I thought he would have by now. Did something happen to him?

Last I heard of him, he'd been made. They were coming for him.

[A look of horror crosses her face.] They? You mean my father's people?

That's right.

Of course we never heard such a thing. I find this interesting because it's just about the only time in the game you can be a cruel jerkass for no good reason to someone who doesn't deserve it. It's not uncommon in many other RPGs but here it kinda stands out.

Quoth the butler can be found near the fireplace in the same hall.

Unfortunately we don't get to know the red-eyed elf better as he only serves as a vendor. His selection covers pretty much everything but magical stuff which is available from Aljernon instead. He even does cyberware installations which is quite impressive.

One thing of note is that Quoth is the only vendor in the game to sell Smartlink weapons, otherwise only available to hireable runners. We obviously don't need one, but we do resupply and upgrade our healing items while we're here.

Having come full circle, we finish our tour with Harley here.

I have a few questions first.

Of course you do.

So, who are you?

I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

With an intelligence check of 5 we'd be able to catch these hot Beatles references ("You're the walrus?"), but we don't need to play the clown's games.

Sounds like a load of drek.

This way I can point out the nice little touch that Harlequin actually swears like normal - after all, why would he use the local slang?

Also I believe the "fights duels with assholes" part is referring to this guy:

Ehran the Scribe, another immortal elf against whom Harlequin lost both a duel and his left ear back in Renaissance-era France (the ear visible on Harlequin's portrait is actually a prosthetic). He got back at Ehran a few centuries later in 2050 and they started getting along a bit better after that, but even so the term "long-time rivalry" is definitely taken to a whole different level with these two.

How do we kill an insect spirit again?

Rinse, repeat.

And what's the connection between the bugs and the Universal Brotherhood?

They're thinking big! They set up shop in every major city, created a major marketing campaign, and then began aggressively recruiting the drop-outs, the disaffected, and the deranged - just like any good cult! If Aegis fails... if we fail, the world will be absolutely overrun by bugs. It's brilliant!

One of these major cities is Chicago which later down the line ends up with a serious bug problem. Because of that particular incident, many people with prior familiarity with Shadowrun knew what was coming the moment Shane namedropped the Universal Brotherhood for the first time way back when.

Does Brackhaus really work for a Great Dragon?

This is the biggest hint given in the game about the man's true nature, though many probably dismiss it as Harlequin's usual nonsense.

Alright, I'm ready. Let's go stomp some bugs.

[His eyes light up.] I thought you'd never ask!

So here's the bad news: the Aegis launcher is indeed a shotgun which we're bad at using. But wait - here's the good news: it doesn't actually count as a shotgun in the game despite being classified as one, meaning the Shotgun skill doesn't affect it. In fact, I don't believe the Aegis launcher takes any of your skills or stats into account in any way. In other words, whether you're the greatest shotgun-wielder the world has ever seen (not us) or someone who'd have better luck using one as a bludgeon (totally us*), your effectiveness at swatting spirit bugs with this thing is on the exact same level. It doesn't really make any sense, but from a gameplay perspective it's a very good thing as it avoids screwing over non-gunners like pure mages.

As there won't be any Matrix runs in the game from this point on, we can safely swap out our cyberdeck here.

(*Not actually true as our Melee Weapons skill is even lower than our Ranged Weapons skill)

This isn't exactly the most well-rounded lineup but we're stuck with Harlequin, the Ghost of Tir Tairngire provided by Telestrian is unique and provides us with an extra Aegis launcher and not bringing Coyote after everything we've been through with her would just feel wrong.

This is it, the final job. It's been a, well, not that long a journey to be honest, but this is where it ends one way or another.

Let's get it done and hopefully finally get our big payday.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 6, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

painedforever posted:

God, so many nyuyen left over! And the final team is so cheap. And there's really nothing left to buy. It's... bothersome.

This mission. This mission is a slog. I don't know how everyone else felt about it, but I thought it got a bit tedious... until the end, which was tense.

In the original version of the game Quoth didn't actually sell healing items, which means the last opportunity in the game to buy those was back at the Union before the Telestrian run. Combined with the fact that you couldn't save manually meant that the final mission could potentially get real bad if you ended up running out of supplies.

How good or bad the mission is now is obviously subjective, but it's at least better than it used to be.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Randaconda posted:

Are you going to do the other two games?

Maybe? I started this one pretty much on a whim after I noticed nobody had done one yet, but those two are a bit more of a commitment and if I start one I want to be sure I can also see it all the way through. I do kind of like the idea though, and I definitely feel like they deserve to be shown off by at least someone.

For now I'm just going to focus on finishing up here, see how things look like after that. If you or someone else feels like giving the other two a shot then by all means, I'm definitely not going to try and stop you from freeing up all those hours for me. :v:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Randaconda posted:

I'm not good or entertaining enough to do a LP. :smithcloud:

That's absolutely not an issue, the trick is to pick a game with a cool enough setting to let you coast on its merits instead of needing to rely on your own.

Also no ending chat yet. :colbert:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

David Corbett posted:

Now that we’re drawing toward the end, I just wanted to say that this has been a phenomenal thread for its wonderful combination of gameplay and lore. Truly enjoyable to read whether there has been an update or not. I can’t say that about many LPs, so well done!

I really appreciate the kind words. And yeah, I originally figured this thing would have about five active followers so it's been super cool seeing so many people come in and talk about the game and the setting. Lots of really interesting discussion and good people here, it's been great.

7c Nickel posted:

Am I wrong or could you berate Baron Samedi enough to make him drop his gimmick persona? I seem to remember getting him to swap over to Harkeem and a skinny blerd portrait.

I'm afraid you've dreamt that part up. There's something kind of like that in Dragonfall (which by the way is real deep in spoiler territory and thus best not talked about at all at this stage) so maybe you're getting things mixed up.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Reminds me that while he's not directly featured in any of the games, you can spot his election poster at the Union entrance and probably other places too.

E:

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Nov 11, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

OutofSight posted:

I had the urge to play to SR:R on the weekend and encountered some things not covered in the LP.

You can get a final bit of fluff dialogue with Mrs. Kubota during "The Union" part between the Universal Brotherhood and the Telestrian run (covered in Part 23)
You have to meet with Baron Samedi in the matrix and then go up to the main bar again instead of setting up the next runs in the runner basement. Mrs. Kubota stands near the entrance and talks about how the Seamstress Union might be threatened because bureaucracy wants to cut the power grid for touristville.

There is a jackpoint in the "Corporate Extraction" run (part 24) before the big room with the mage. But you can only interact with it after opening the door. You get a small matrix fight section and can activate the turret on the far side of the room. Quite useful if you have to flee from a certain herd of basilisks.

You're right about that first one, I must've missed that since I didn't think to run all the way back to the entrance to check with her afterwards. Good catch.

I did cover the second one though, we just never used it since we didn't need to.

Kanfy posted:

We got a whole welcoming committee waiting for us here it seems. Note the locked hatch in the back.

We could hack this panel here to activate a turret behind that hatch, but that'd require going through a Matrix section while our drones stood idle and man, all that's just too much unnecessary trouble.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Part 31 - The Spirits Within

We start our final mission from the same dimly-lit basement room we once used to escape the Brotherhood. This time our goal is in the opposite direction.

And our company is decidedly weirder.

[Harlequin grins a wide, predatory grin. Both sets of his pearly-white teeth, offset by the livid red lipstick around his mouth.]

Now the fun begins.

Wait, I have some questions.

There's always time for more questions in this game.

Of course you do.

If you won't tell me who you are, will you at least tell me what you can do?

See this sword?

Just pretend that he's holding one.

It's kind of hard to miss.

I can stick people with it. Pretty good, too. I also have one of those Telestrofwyr Magical Bug-Eradicating launchers like the rest of you.

That it?

Is that not enough?! Beyond the tattoos that adorn my face, I have another - a recent addition - in a place that only those closest to me will ever see.

TMI

Oh, and I am a powerful mage as well. I forgot that.

Canonically one of the most powerful there is. In this game... eh, I'd rather have Alexander Falk or even Verbena Vie to be honest.

Right. And what can we expect to find down here?

Sounds like a final dungeon alright.

Great. Well, I'm ready.

But first, how about one last traditional look at our party? We haven't done one of those in a while, and definitely won't after this.

Amazon worked hard training her previously feeble Body in preparation for this day. Real hard. As in, she could now probably do side work as a live crash test dummy.

Amazing how far a little motivation and a stack of spare Karma can take you.

It comes as no surprise to anybody that Harlequin is nowhere near as powerful as he "should" be, though this being Harlequin that's fairly easy to write off as him not taking things entirely seriously. Statistically he's by no means weak, having downright herculean strength with very respectable caster stats on top. Unfortunately, his primary specialization is Physical Adept and not even the great clown man himself has the strength to pull it up from the bottom of the archetype barrel.

He's also decently skilled in ranged weapons, especially shotguns... except again, the Aegis launcher ignores stats and he has no other ranged weapons, rendering those stats useless. This makes me think the bug sprayer was originally affected by skills, especially since the Ghost likewise has points in Shotguns despite not carrying a traditional one.

His primary weapon of choice is the sword he mentioned earlier, which is also the best melee weapon in the game. Three times as powerful as the 2 damage baseball bat!

Lazy bastard hasn't even bothered upgrading all his spells, bringing an okay-but-not-great mix of damage and support. I want to draw some special attention to Quick Strike at the end there. It's the highest-level offensive Adept spell and on paper, sounds quite nice. A free attack with +6 damage every couple of turns, right?

Well no. See, probably owing to its status as a spell rather than an innate Adept or weapon skill which is where most offensive melee abilities are found, Quick Strike here actually ignores your base damage entirely and deals its damage independently. In other words, instead of adding +6 to your normal attack damage, it simply deals 6 damage. That's it.

I have to imagine this is a bug, and a real unfortunate one at that considering Physical Adepts already struggle in this game.

The Tir Tairngire Ghost is a pretty basic grunt who'd be nothing special if not for the fact that he carries our third Aegis launcher, a fact that elevates him from "kinda meh" to "thank god this guy's here". As I mentioned earlier, he's quite skilled at using shotguns despite a Colt M23 rifle being his only "real" weapon.

Coyote is, well, Coyote. Statistically similar to the Ghost but lacking his Aegis launcher, by now she's starting to have some issues hittings things reliably except at very close range. Still, it's not like we were going to leave her behind on this one and she can definitely still bring the pain with her Enfield AS-7 provided her shots actually land.

Now, let's get this show on the road.

We end up in a fight immediately upon entering the ritual chamber or whatever this place is, firmly setting the tone for this entire mission. We won't be leaving combat mode even for a single moment until we reach the final boss, so you'd best buckle up.

For enemies found in the final dungeon, the brotherhood jackasses are really nothing special.

Some of them have swords, some of them have guns and some of them cast spells, but they're all weak enough that they only manage to be a credible threat if multiple of them happen to gang up on the same character. And if they all hit. And if all the hits are crits.

None of that'll happen when you kill them all in a single turn before they get to act, like we just did.

The way upstairs is locked and we have no business there anyway, so we head deeper in, utilizing the tunnel the bugs dug up the last time we were here.

It's unfamiliar territory from here on out. It looks like the facility extends even further than it originally seemed, these hallways obviously aren't insect handiwork.

More weirdos wait for us around the corner. It's not hard to guess what they're referring to with this "elevated one" business.

Here's how we distribute our own special brand of spiritual elevation.

Rude! It's hard to completely avoid damage here since every Brotherhood bozo starts each fight on Overwatch. Everything also needs to be healed manually due to the lack of end-of-combat heals.

Top 10 anime battles of the season. Unlike this sucker, the cowardly ambusher manages to get away and runs off through the door at the end of the hallway.

We take this time to heal up a bit. Another lovely consequence of the constant combat mode is that after single every battle, Amazon has to manually deactivate her drones and wait a turn so that she can catch up with the rest of the team.

The first thing of note in the next area is this network of air vents which provide our drones with easy flanking positions.

While they're looking around, the escapee from the last room grows tired of waiting and makes the fascinating strategic decision of rushing our team all by his lonesome.

Harlequin teaches him the error of his ways with Chi Onslaught, an Adept ability which hits three times in a single action with reduced accuracy but increased crit chance. Unfortunately it also costs 3 AP to use, so it's not actually that different from just using three normal attacks.

The "elevated one" is waiting for us around the next corner. These are the exact same creatures we fought during our last visit, with the Worker being a melee variant. All the bugs have high health and defenses, but are also pretty easy to hit.

Let's see if our fancy weapon works. First we bring down the physical form the traditional way...

...then the spirit emerges the next turn (and gets its free 1 damage/-1 AP attack). Last time this is where we hit a wall and had to retreat, but this time we've come prepared.

Aw yeah, back to the bug dimension with you.

A couple of notes about the Aegis launcher: It can only damage bugs in their spirit form and it can't crit or land Weak shots, meaning it always deals 15 damage if it hits. It only has an ammo capacity of 2, so without AP boosts it can only ever be fired twice per turn for a total of 30 damage per character.

The joke here is that all bug spirits have 40 HP and must be killed in a single turn or else they revive the physical form, so it requires three successful shots in one turn to take one down. Now without disabling her drones the previous turn, Amazon can only fire one shot with her one AP (assuming she doesn't move) which leaves us with five shots per turn at best.

As a result our team is only really capable of killing one spirit per turn which can be a real pain when facing two or three at once. It's not particularly dangerous since we have the firepower to keep the physical forms down reliably and the spirits only ever do 1 damage at a time, but it does cause every fight to take two or three times longer than normal. This is why the Tir Tairngire Ghost and his extra launcher are such an invaluable addition, especially if you don't bring anyone with Haste.

The next room features a mix of normal dudes and highly abnormal dudes, one of which is hiding behind some bars in the middle of the room. Harlequin having 99% hit chance on everything with his Manabolt 3 implies none of them have particularly high Willpower, which seems fitting enough.

Also some flesh seems to be growing on the wall. High-quality wallflesh is a must-have accessory for any good final dungeon designer.

The humans remain little more than fodder, but going after them does mean their ugly buddies get to live a little longer.

One of them, a Venom, spits nasty venom at the Ghost through the bars. It's hard to see (blame video capture) but in addition to traditional damage the venomous Venom venom temporarily reduces Body by 2, making it one of the rare stat-reducing debuffs in these games.

Regardless, we dispose of them the same way as before. You get to skip the whole song and dance of killing and re-killing them though, so be thankful.

While the rest of the team is having their fun, Coyote who can't harm the spirits is looking at the computer screens. I'm not entirely sure whether or not this counts as foreshadowing in this case.

Nothing else here, so onwards we go. It can't be much further, right?

The first thing we come across in the next room are some unfortunate souls who seemingly had some trouble adapting to their new spiritual lifestyle.

Beyond that, it's more fighting and also more wallflesh, a clear sign of us getting closer and closer to our goal.

Good ol' Prime remains both accurate and incredibly deadly.

This guy actually manages to fight back a little, leaving Harlequin who soaks most of the damage in these fights in pretty bad shape.

But he didn't manage to finish the job, and is thus finished himself instead.

Alright so... now what? There are no visible doors in this room, and there haven't been any other paths we could've taken. Could this be a bug?

Ah nope, that is a bug.

Three of them in fact, with one of them busting through a wall in the previous room.

We do our usual extermination routine on the two nearby abominations while the third shuffles off somewhere.

Backtracking to the previous room, we find and promptly put down the sneak, in the process discovering that its tunnel has conveniently opened up a path forward. The other two tunnels are just dead ends, in case you were wondering.

An area transition! This seems like a good place to take a break, catch our breath a bit. Hell, if we were playing the original unpatched version of the game this'd be the first spot we even could take a break since manual saves weren't a thing back then.

Anyway, see you next time.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

One thing I had forgotten about this game was that it really likes keeping you in combat mode even when no combat is happening, at least in the later missions. It gets surprisingly annoying after a while, and being a drone user makes it that much worse.

Psion posted:

A quick check says that the Ghost, Harlequin, and Dodger were all rebalanced for their respective missions in 1.2.7; I don't have specifics, but I'm pretty sure it was improvement on all three.

That feels vaguely familiar, so I probably also initially played through the game before those changes. Weird that everyone kept their useless shotgun proficiencies though.

OutofSight posted:

Hey Kanfy. Remember that weird out of place conversation with Mrs. Kubota at the inn, i found? This information will show up again in the very endgame state conversation with Telestrian. Do you want a text dump of that dialogue for completion's sake?

If you feel up to it then go for it. I'm not gonna go back and edit the old updates or anything, but I can at least make mention of it at the end if needed.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Is leaving her back at the entrance and just sending the drones ahead an option?

Sure, but she's still carrying an Aegis launcher and between the uncertain hit chances and the AP drain from the spirit attacks, you really want to maximize the amount of shots you get to take with those things.

Zeniel posted:

Yeah I have absolutely no idea what the developers were thinking with this last mission. I'm pretty sure I finished it before the patch that made Harlequin tolerable and he was utterly useless. It was made worse by the fact that you needed him alive if you weren't charismatic enough to get the agent with extra AEGIS launcher. So if Harlequin died, which he almost certainly would, then you were stuck in a perpetual combat situation you had no hope of ever winning.

It makes the whole final area incredibly stressful and not in a fun way. The only way you could really stand any chance of surviving the final area was to preempt the whole thing, which sucks. That and rendering deckers totally obsolete by this point, TT really dropped the ball big time. There's no way this area got any proper play testing.

I wasn't aware that there was any requirement for being able to hire the Ghost. Was that also a later change?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Halser posted:

tell that to CDProjekt, that gated literally 1/3rd of The Witcher 2 behind a choice at the end of act 1.

That was cool though, in a perfect world every game which touted that your choices really matter would do something like that.

Obviously they won't because it's not at all feasible and insanely inefficient from a design standpoint, but I kind of love that they were crazy enough to go ahead with it there.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 20, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Part 32 - The Finale

Harlequin speaks up as soon as we arrive.

This ain't a game.

Oh, but it is. On more than one level. Onward!

Oh, I get it.

The only noteworthy thing about this first room is that it houses the most useless air vent in existence.

It also has bugs coming out of the walls, but that's a regular feature 'round these parts. These two guys are a little sneaky in that they only come out after you're some ways into the room, potentially leaving people lagging behind in a bad spot.

A third one joins in a little after the initial two, further prolonging the delightful experience of having to fight and kill these things over and over again.

It's heartbreaking to see this kind of Ghost-on-ghost violence, but nature can sometimes be cruel like that.

The way forward is in the southeast corner. There are even more vents here, but none of them are especially useful.

People! Honest to goodness dies-to-ordinary-bullets-like-god-intended people!

Refreshing, like a cool spring breeze.

But our joy is short-lived, as another ugly jerk crawls out of the wall behind us. True Form Bombardiers are pretty much the artillery unit of Bug Nation, easy to kill but capable of dealing nasty area-wide damage if they do get to attack.

We make sure that doesn't happen.

And sadly it's back to wallbugs in the next room as well.

And again with the same "late third enemy" trick. At least they don't get to attack the same turn they appear, we're not in Thracia here.

please

go

away

A bridge this prominent can only mean we're about to reach the end. Surprisingly there's no ambush from both sides when we get to the middle or anything like that.

After crossing the bridge, we find a locked door in front of us and a small storeroom to the side, watched over by a couple of Brotherhood goons.

Amazon suffers the consequences of a misclick strategically tanks their Overwatch attacks with her nigh-indestructible body.

Despite being the last ordinary human enemies in the game, they aren't in any way different from all the other chumps we've mowed down on our way here.

Just in case it wasn't yet obvious that we're about to fight the final boss, the room contains no less than five items: A Phosphorous Grenade, two Premium Medkits, a Gold Trauma Kit and a Platinum Trauma kit which is inside a safe and requires 5 Decking (but no cyberdeck) to get.

The panel in the corner opens up the locked door outside, allowing us to progress.

At last, we've reached the heart of the hive. I was originally planning on ending the update here, until I realized how short and boring this'd end up if I did that. So screw it, let's go all the way and finish this thing for good.

A branching path? Nah, only the door ahead is openable. Also we're finally free from combat mode, though that's not going to last for very long.

Geez finally, we've been looking all over for you guys!

I don't know, you seem plenty disturbed already to me.

Your vessel is gone! This is over, Jessica!

But you'll be the mother of a dead world!

[Harlequin still sports a wry smile.] On the plus side, a billion creepy crawly children makes for one hell of a Mother's Day.

No! I will become a perfect being. Through me and through my sacrifice, a new age will begin!

You've played too many video games, lady.

We have three dialogue choices here which all amount to "Well guess we gotta shoot you now", but also a fourth which continues the conversation a little longer.

Sam had a hunger too, didn't he, Jessica?

[This seems to throw her off.] What?

You said it yourself, Sam had appetites. All that mattered to him was his next fix.

Vile appetites!

Appetites he couldn't control. And he died for them.

Because *I* willed it.

Yes, but why? There was more to it than just your mother.

[The hum of magical energy permeating the room seems to quiet. She's listening.]

You came under the thrall of these creatures long before you knew of your mother's death.

The Brotherhood... They... they were a family to me.

Yes, and they had already freed you from your old life. So why come back? Why kill Sam?

[She falters.] I... I had to. For what he did... what he had become.

You said Sam represented a sickness in the world. But I think he represented the sickness in you.

You're... trying to... confuse me.

You saw a wrongness in yourself, and you projected it onto Sam.

No, I... He...

He was your brother, Jessica. Your twin! Don't you see?

[She falls quiet and bows her head.] I... I'm sorry. But there's no turning back. I cannot undo what's been done. And I can't stop what's to come.

I don't like this bit much since it feels a little forced, like they had to include a part where you can try and talk down the final boss because that's just a thing you do in western RPGs. It doesn't even make any practical difference since you still have to do the fight, and you don't even get to pick what you say because there's only one choice each time!

Like so many other things, they do this better in the later games.

Had we picked one of the other three choices earlier, we would've jumped here directly. Commence the final showdown!

:siren: :siren:

(It's the final boss theme, so if you're only gonna click one music link in this LP you should probably make it this one, especially if you've nostalgia for SNES Shadowrun music. This is the soundtrack version by the way, the in-game one is a shorter loop.)

Here we go. Right away Lynne jogs it to the center of this fairly large chamber, striking some kind of yoga pose on the altar there. She's going to be standing there for this entire fight and isn't actually even targetable.

Our actual target is Jessica who has taken some serious bug steroids, giving her several large trolls' worth of HP. There will also be a constant stream of bug monsters entering the fight, all of which need to be eliminted the usual annoying way.

Now there are two ways to go about this fight, the long and difficult way and the short and easy way. Let's start with the former.

You may have noticed this glowy spiky thing near Jessica. There are four of these Insect Pillars scattered around the room, with one being active and vulnerable to damage at any given time.

Jessica spends most of the fight running for these pillars, gaining the mysterious "Favor of the Queen" buff when she reaches an active one.

What this does is allow her to use the Insect Totem power, a room-wide buff which gives a major power-up to all living bugs in the area. Not only does this increase their movement speed but also allows them to attack twice per turn, something enemies aren't normally capable of doing. Needless to say, this is something you want to avoid.

Luckily that's only slightly easier said than done as the pillars aren't that tough. Once a pillar's HP is depleted it deals 15 damage to Jessica and all living bugs and removes Favor of the Queen. After that it shuts down and becomes invulnerable, causing one of the other three pillars to activate instead. There's no way to permanently destroy them, so dealing with these pillars is something you have to do throughout the entire fight.

On a side note, drones can go through the small holes on the walls here which is what that icon in the middle there is indicating, but it only seems to work about half the time.

The main difficulty of this fight comes from the fact that you have to spread your damage pretty thin. In addition to dealing with the pillars you have to kill the constantly spawning bugs...

...eradicate their spirits with Aegis...

...and also find the time to deal damage to Jessica who is running all around the room chasing after the pillars.

As if that wasn't enough, after a while these very tanky bastards make their first and only appearance, requiring quite a bit of time and effort to bring down as well.

All in all a prolonged fight where you try to fight everything can be quite the pain in the rear end to deal with.

So, here's the easier way:

You just shoot Jessica in her dumb face repeatedly from the start, completely ignoring all the nonsense I've told you about. Yeah, 325 is a lot of HP, but with the whole group focusing on the same target we can easily deal over half that in a single turn.

As a result Jessica is defeated on turn 2, causing her to shout a bit and then run off. From here all we need to do is eliminate the remaining enemies in the room.

In this case "all remaining enemies" means "the only one that had time to spawn". And with one last gloopy splurt of Aegis, it's all over.

"But hold on now" I can hear you say. "I bet that's not it, and now Lynne's going to transform into the Queen which ends up being the real final boss, right?" Hey good thinking ace, that is how it looks like isn't it?

But no, that's it. We're done. Those two turns were the final boss fight in its entirety, no second forms or additional phases or any of that. Lynne? Never gonna see her again.

Instead we chase after and corner Jessica in some small room somewhere.

It's gone... My link to the... the Queen. She has... abandoned me... expelled me. Unworthy... Unworthy.

It had to be done. This nest would have overrun the city if we hadn't stopped you.

Eh, I'm sure it's all under control.

[Tears run down her face.] Oh God. What have I done? And Sam... I'm so sorry, Sam...

She only speaks that last line because we brought up Sam before the fight. Otherwise she doesn't give a drat about the guy.

But what's this? A pair of True Form Soldiers suddenly burst through the walls. Is there another fight after all?

Nah, they're more interested in making dinner out of Jessica. And it's us who get to choose her fate here: Either we let her get eaten as karmic justice for Sam, shoot her ourselves, or take her with us to be arrested.

It's a little tempting, but we were never really in this just for Sam himself and shooting someone who's surrendered and pleading for their life doesn't really feel right, so let's be magnanimous. It makes little real difference one way or another anyway.

Death would be too quick a punishment. You're going to pay for what you've done.

[She lowers her head in shame.] I understand.

And with one last completely useless reward of 5 karma, Amazon's and this LP's final mission has come to a close. All that's left now is to report back to James and to make a call to the law firm for our money.

Payday at last, and well-deserved!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Fighting Trousers posted:

The final boss fight is DEFINITELY something the other two games did better. You certainly can't say that HBS didn't learn as they went.

If I were someone completely unfamiliar with these games I'd probably think "They did this better in the later games" is some kind of a running gag with how many times it's been said, but they really did improve on nearly every aspect. It's actually quite impressive.

But yeah, the final dungeon overall is not great and practically reeks of a rush job. It's almost certainly my least favorite part in the entire series, though I do still like Returns as a game. At least it can only get better from here!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Xander77 posted:

You don't even have to fight the two bug warriors to escort Jessica out, they just politely move out of the way?

Correct, it's a fade to black regardless of which choice you make. You don't actually get to kill her or watch her get eaten either, she just goes "oh nooo" instead of "okay".

E:

Also I just want to mention that one update away from the end of this whole thing, I've now come to realize I could've used the official editor to easily look through conversations and their variables instead of relying on saving and reloading. Professional LPing to the end, folks.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Nov 27, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

This revelation has also allowed me to find a bunch of cut content, including what seems to be an alternate tutorial mission where you and your crew (which consists of a Street Samurai called Switchblade and the mage New Sally) meet Sam for the first time during a run at the docks. I've put it together the best I could figure, in case people are interested:

quote:

[A figure moves to a pile of crates and starts looking them over. Middle-aged. Male. Human. He vibes civilian - no big iron or magical fetishes visible - but it's late and he's suspicious. He sees your crew, registers he’s in dangerous company but smiles a big smile anyway.]

Hey there! You having an after-work drink? I could use one. I could always use one.

Don't move. Identify yourself.

Null sweat. Don’t go ballistic on me! Metaphorically or otherwise!

[He points to himself.]

Sam. Sam Watts. I’m just picking up a little shipment that fell off a truck. Looks like those rear end-wipe longshoreman left the crates spread out across the whole drat dock. Serves me right for not tipping them, I guess. Now come on - who are you guys?

Little late to be picking up shipments isn’t it?

I’m kind of a night person. You still haven’t answered my question, chummer - but I’ll forgive you in exchange for a drink.

There's presumably a fade to black here where Sam walks to the makeshift bar that was visible in the tutorial mission.

quote:

[He fishes out a beer our from behind the bar, pops the cap with his teeth, tips his head back, and downs the whole bottle - his eyes on you the whole time.]

You’re welcome for the drink. What’s in the crates you’re collecting?

[He flashes another grin.] Nope. I’ve done all the sharing I’m going to. Your turn.

We are meeting an associate here. Business.

[His commlink rings.] Hang on. It's my driver.

[He answers it.] Yeah? No, I haven't found the crates yet. What? Hmmm, not good... probably because of my new friends here... I would appreciate it if you'd wait for this thing to play out... Yeah, give you a call later.

Who's waiting for what to play out?

So, I got a guy waiting for me in the truck outside. He says 8 Lone Star troops just jumped out of a Renraku transport. Says one of ‘em paid the dockmaster to lock the gates behind them. Time for my new drinking buddies to come clean. What did I just walk into?

drat it! The frigging Fixer sold us out to Renraku!

You need to choose your fixers more carefully. And based on our budding friendship, I’m guessing you probably need to choose your friends more carefully, too. [He winks.]

Ten of them versus three of you, huh? Why do I always get chosen by the losing team?

Aren’t there four of us... buddy?

Don’t let my little night errand fool you, I am a creature of drunken leisure - not a man of action. But self-preservation is a terrific motivator. Got a rod for me?

Seems you could make a choice here, to either give him "Dowd's pistol" or not.

Not until I see them shooting at you too.

So I guess it’s still eight against three. At least for the moment. Here they come!

There are also some mid-combat conversations, where you can again choose whether or not to give him the pistol.

quote:

You change your mind about giving me something to shoot with yet?

Nope. Just keep your head down!

Ok, I'll just be here cowering.

quote:

I’m feeling pretty left out here. C'mon! Gimme a drat gun so I can defend myself!

Just cool your jets - we’re doing fine without ya!

Remember, it’s not just YOUR funeral.

quote:

drat it, let me help! Give me something to shoot with!

Just pick up something to throw at them!

Holy cats, I forgot! I’ve got a grenade in my backpack! And the crates I was picking up have hand-grenades and med-kits in them.

Sam Watts for President! Where are they?

The longshoreman scattered the crates around this area. One of us is going to have to go find the crates and see what’s inside each one.

The next one also seems to be an in-battle conversation.

quote:

[He weighs a grenade his hand.] I’ve got a hell of a throwing arm - threw a lot of rocks through windows as a kid.

Another wasted youth.

Of course! I wanted to be a baseball player but I fell in with the wrong crowd.

So you were a street kid?

Nope! Had a cushy childhood in an arcology until pops died and the money dried up. Now I hang out with fine people like you.

So if you’re a registered citizen and all, what are you doing in the drek with the likes of us?

I found something in the shadows that’s missing in the bright lights and sanitized walls of Corp life. Soul. Or maybe that’s just my excuse for drinking my way through life in the company of fine fellows like you.

Got any family left?

Got a mom who still tries to pull me out of the gutter, but it’s kinda hard when she’s wallowing right next to me. I got a sister somewhere in Cali, too. But I’d say at this point my buddies at the bar are my real family. You?

A choice here lets you pick whether your character does or doesn't have family.

Nope, just the runners I trust to not stab me in the back.

Well, you can count me among ‘em. I can use all the friends I can get.

That's all there is in the files, though there probably would've been some different end conversation too.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 27, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Also someone on reddit summarized the cut content pretty well:

Alarantalara posted:

I've been looking through the data for Dead Man's Switch and it looks like a lot of the content that was originally planned got left in and orphaned. This is my current reconstruction of the original story based on what I could find.

The flashback three years ago features a different cast of characters and is not a flashback but happens before being hired. In addition to Sangoma, there are characters named Switchblade (a street samurai) and New Sally. Sam is not originally on the team and New Larry doesn't exist. Three out of four of yourself, Switchblade, Sangoma, and New Sally are waiting for the fixer at the docks after losing Dowd on the run. Wandering around you find the gates to be locked and meet Sam Watts, who is doing an unrelated run smuggling weapons and medical supplies. He warns you of 8 (or maybe 10, both numbers are mentioned) Renraku guards and after you give him Dowd's pistol, he aids you in fighting off the corp, with some help from the smuggled supplies.

It looks possible that there was some additional content around the start of the search for Coyote, since Seamstress/Pike Place are chapters 4 and 5 but behave as one now. The existing conversations in both places are split between additional unseen scenes.

From there, it looks to be basically the same until Mercy Mental Hospital (but with some mention of Telestrian prior to this). At the hospital, you meet Valerie Telestrian, whose name attracts interest in Telestrian industries. On returning to the Seamstresses Union, you contact/are contacted by Baron Samedi, who also has an interest in them. Together, you arrange a run on the office for information about your respective interests (Marie-Louise/Sam Watts, not to get FAB). In the process, the Baron is killed by Black IC and asks you to contact Marie-Louise Telestrian with what you've learned. You meet her downstairs (in her home?). Marie-Louise decides to go with Lynne to the UB for protection from James.

I'm unsure how the lab run fits into this plot. It seems possible that the map was for something else and was finished enough to be repurposed. If the lab run was present, it happens just before meeting Marie-Louise.

At this point, the funeral is scheduled in the original order, but the next run implies it either replaced something else or didn't lead directly to the UB. At any rate, after it or something else, you are hired by a fixer/Johnson in a junkyard to make another run on a Telestrian lab, in which you take advantage of Garlic Synthsoy cakes, a Telestrian Lab Coat and a Telestrian Lab ID to accomplish the mission.

There are then two missions with unknown content, which eventually lead to the first raid on the Universal Brotherhood. Given that you know Marie-Louise is there, it would be interesting to know if you were trying to rescue her or find out what happened to Sam as currently happens. The bugs remain unkillable, and so because the lab making the anti-bug weapon was destroyed (by you?), you are sent by Telestrian to retrieve the only remaining sample from where the Cutters have stashed it. With the aid of drones and turrets, after fighting many ghouls (were they originally to appear here and so the funeral allowed them to be reused?), the "bug juice" is retrieved. With the juice in hand, you return to Telestrian's offices(?) to plan the final assault, which likely is as before.

The Baron being killed off explains the way he just vanishes from the game after the Telestrian run, and the dialogue choice to tell Marie-Louise that Telestrian got to him even though no such thing happened.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

painedforever posted:

There was, according to Steam, also a pre-order/supporter bonus. You could have your pick of custom-built avatars / characters, and some guy in the Seamstress Guild who would tell you stories.

Yeah, it's the ghost of Jordan Weisman you can talk with about what inspired him to create Shadowrun and other such fourth wall breaking stuff. He also gives you some grenades and maybe other miscellaneous items.

Groetgaffel posted:

That will be a great help when you do the next one. :v:

I poked around DF's editor a bit out of y'know, idle curiosity, and you're not wrong. "A great help" is an understatement about how incredibly useful this'd be in that hypothetical scenario.

I'm also noticing that even the conversation editor is clearer and easier to parse compared to Returns. They really did improve on everything. :v:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Part 33 - The Aftermath

Welcome to the final update! The insect menace has been stopped, at least for the time being, so the only thing left now is to wrap up Dead Man's Switch for good.

There are several familiar faces around the scene, but the first thing that catches our attention is Harlequin who's in the middle of recounting our underground adventures to Telestrian. Mr. Quoth seems to be by his master's side as well.

And?

And Amazon says something like "I won't let them eat you, Jessica. You're coming with me. You're going to pay for what you've done." It was very dramatic. Then, we splattered the bugs and handed her over to the UCAS FBI. They're going to want to have a long talk with her about the Universal Brotherhood. So, this nest is cleaned out and your cousin Lynne is being transported to a mental hospital for observation.

This part would obviously be a little different if Jessica had ended up as insect food, but James (who incidentally is a canonical sociopath) doesn't care much either way.

Yes yes, a grave threat to the whole world and all that, but first things first.

What about my million nuyen?

Ah yes. Do not be concerned, I will keep my end of the bargain. Mr. Quoth!

Sir?

See that our hero gets her reward. After deductions, of course.

Uh oh.

Deductions?

Yes, of course. You still owe me for your raid on my offices.

Aw come on, that was like ages ago. Does ancient history really matter between business partners?

Pff. Although, he seems to have forgotten about the "divided between living team members" clause, so perhaps we should consider ourselves lucky.

Yeah, alright. Here.

Had we negotiated ourselves an extra million with the Corporate etiquette before the mission, the damages would've instead been twice as bad and we'd have ultimately ended up with the same 15k. How's that for an unjust universe?

Very good. That transaction is complete. Now then, you have turned in a yeoman's effort, and - regardless of your obvious flaws - you are deserving of a reward. What would you ask of me?

This is the second "big" final decision of the game, our very own free wish! Our choices are as follows:

1. We can ask for the position of Telestrian's Vice President of Security, previously held by Erik Silverstar
2. We can ask for (more) money
3. Had I not missed an earlier conversation, we could ask him to cancel the city's plan to shut down the power grid in Touristville where the Union is located (I'll explain this in a bit)
4. We can ask for McKlusky to get fired

Now this is a pretty big decision and careful consideration should be

Not much. Just McKlusky's badge.

[Telestrian's ice breaks - for a moment.] You short-circuit an invasion of extra-dimensional insects and for your reward, you wish to have an insignificant police detective dismissed from his position?

I don't like his aftershave.

Very well, Detective McKlusky is now Citizen McKlusky - the man grates on my nerves anyway. And since this action requires little more than a nod to the proper peon, you may ask *another* boon of me. I am feeling generous today.

It was all worth it in the end after all.

Regarding the other choices, the position of Telestrian's VP of Security is only available to elves. Any other race (including humans) who asks for it will be given a position as the future VP of Security's Executive Consultant instead. We are in fact an elf so this hilariously blatant racial discrimination wouldn't apply to us, but I think we've seen enough about Telestrian corporate life to say with some confidence that it's not our scene.

Now, the power grid choice isn't available to us because it turns out I missed a conversation with Mrs. Kubota at the Seamstresses Union before the Telestrian run. See, that particular conversation only becomes available after the meeting with Baron Samedi where he tells you about the Aegis, but because Kubota was upstairs at the Union's front door where we no longer had any reason to go to, I completely forgot such a conversation even existed.

All credit to forums user OutofSight for pointing out my mistake.

In any case, what she would've told us had we spoken to her is that the city authorities are planning to shut down the power grid in Touristville because they don't want to continue devoting police manpower to protect the citizens who go there for seedier entertainment. Had we had that discussion, we could now ask Telestrian to pull the required strings to revoke that plan. This is how that particular conversation would have gone:

quote:

I hear the city's going to shut down the power grid in a part of the Barrens called Touristville.

I am sure you appreciate a good slum as much as the next shadowrunner. However, I fail to see the significance of the Redmond Barrens or its energy resources in the context of this conversation.

That's unimportant. Just fix it.

By "fix it", you mean convince a municipal government to abandon a bureaucratic process that has likely been in the works for several years. You do not have a grasp on how governments work.

You're James Telestrian the Third. Municipal governments are nothing to the man behind the throne of Tir Tairngire.

[He sighs.] Very well. I will speak with my contacts on the city's Zoning Board. I am certain there are better uses of their time than shuffling the city's criminal element from one part of the Sprawl to another. Good day.

Alas, since this choice isn't available to us it looks like Touristville and the Union are both doomed. My bad!

So ultimately we're just going to have to go for the "immediate personal gain" -option. Real shame, pains my heart really, but what can you do.

I want to get paid. Real money, this time.

[Another icy smile.] I would expect no less from you. Mr. Quoth, please place a suitable bonus on our friend's credstick. A bonus of such size that additional negotiations are unnecessary. I have no interest in furthering our relationship.

That's the one thing we have in common, buddy. Well that and our shared dislike of McKlusky.

:homebrew:

Looks like you two are best buddies now.

We're now free to have one last chat with everyone who bothered to show up.

We'll go through the area in a counterclockwise manner, starting from Coyote here.

Guess so.

Tough week, huh?

Gangers, hellhounds, amok mental patients, serial killers, ghouls, corporate deckers, extra-dimensional bugs, and an army of corp security. Yeah, I could use a nap.

I bet.

Coyote was with us almost the whole time of course, but she's too tough to complain about it unlike our whiny rear end.

Back to destroying the BTL trade?

Nah. Like I said, that’s over. I’m gonna take care of Gino - get him back to health. But no more storming BTL labs.

If we hadn't saved Gino, she'd instead be planning on "taking a flamethrower to that whole slagging business".

Good to hear. That last place was run by the Yakuza and they’re not going to forget you.

Today, I run the shadows. Get paid. Get dirty. See you around, Amazon. You're quite a lady. I can honestly say, I've never met an elf quite like you.

You're one hell of a lady yourself, and almost made it feel like we had one proper crew member in this game populated by boring non-personalities. Thanks for everything.

Ol' clownshoes is up next.

Here's a cool little touch: If Harlequin dies during the final mission, there's some extra dialogue available here where you can ask how he's still around. Not only that, but there's also a slightly different variation if he went down more than once. In both cases he jokes about it and then pretty much shrugs it off as something you shouldn't question too much since the Sixth World is full of much weirder things.

Where's Herr Brackhaus? I thought he'd be here too.

He flew back to Berlin. All sorts of things brewing there. He was very impressed with you, though. It could probably turn into work someday. But I’d forget about him, if I were you. Never make a deal with a dragon, kid. They’re playing a different game entirely.

Something brewing in Berlin, huh? Bet you could make a game about that.

I'll keep that in mind. You said you were getting out of here - is there a problem?

Think they can control the press?

One way or another, they will. If they can’t be manipulated, coerced or bribed, they’ll probably disappear. Quietly. There’s more though.

Although we were here to see its beginning, the whole Brotherhood/insect spirit mess is something that will continue to be relevant in the setting for a long time after the events of this game.

Do you trust him?

No. Just like I don’t trust you. Don’t take it personally, kid. You shouldn’t trust me, either. I’ve been manipulating runners like you for years. I’m manipulating you right now. You just don’t know *my* game yet. Let’s continue the dance. I have one more to show you.

As it happens, Ares are the ones who end up being the most involved in dealing with bug spirit activity elsewhere.

Government. Media. Business. All working to ensure the truth stays hidden.

So it's a massive conspiracy.

I wish it was. In a way, it’s worse. It’s a series of conspiracies, conflicting agendas, and petty jealousies, all building upon, feeding upon, and excreting into an unending web of drek that people wade through every day and call Life. If there was one Dark Lord controlling everything and we could drive a magic sword through his heart to free the world, that would be grand. Such clarity! Such focus! Alas!

So what’s the lesson in all of this? That I did all of it for nothing?

And that's why we don't *play* their fragging game. We don't swallow their drek sandwich and politely ask for another. It's why we run the shadows. That's where real life is, kiddo. Reality's living in the places no one wants you to see.

Turns out I was wrong about Harlequin swearing normally being a nice touch. Also this whole lesson would've missed its mark pretty spectacularly had we retired from running in order to work for Telestrian.

Okay, seriously - who are you?

A friend. Until I need you for something. Then, I'm a bastard.

Right. See you around, Harlequin.

Your presence here might've been pure fanservice, but at least you brought some much-needed lightheartedness to this otherwise dry endgame.

Ah, this should be good.

We got a whole bunch of different skill checks here, all aimed at humiliating our detective friend - Charisma 4 (to make him think that he got his lieutenant's badge and he's getting a surprise party), Intelligence 4 (to claim his shoelaces are untied in order to cold-cock him while he's distracted), Strength 5 & Close Combat 5 (to knock him out with a haymaker or a flurry of punches).

Of course we don't need to resort to any of those.

Hey McKlusky - I got good news for you.

Izzat right?

You won!

Won what?

The "I-lost-my-job-and-I-don't-even-know-it" contest. See you around, rear end in a top hat.

What the? Mr. Telestrian! Hey, Mr. Telestrian!

He runs to James, presumably to plead pathetically. Unfortunately we don't get to listen in.

Even Armitage has showed up for the denouement, despite presumably still having a bounty on his head and there being police everywhere. Or maybe the devs just forgot about that detail.

Did you doubt I would?

Not for a minute.

He's not wrong, it's surprising Seattle is still intact with how much crap is constantly happening in this city.

I heard Mitsuhama's looking for a team and they specifically want a woman. No idea what that's about.

Something's bound to come up. Whaddaya say?

I think we deserve a break after all this, but it's always nice to have something to fall back on.

I'll think about it, Jake.

You do that. If you want to find me, I'll be at McKraken's later - got a taste for some seafood. Take it easy, chummer.

Thanks for the help Jake, time will tell if this ends up being your final video game appearance of if you'll pop up again in Shadowrun Re-Returns or something.

It's only fitting for our last stop to be manned by this guy.

Just making more work for you.

Thanks, but I prefer natural causes.

Remember when all that happened and was relevant? Feels like it was a different story altogether. Some might say a better story, but that's neither here nor there.

[He leans in, whispers conspiratorially.] You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?

A vigilante attack, huh? Wow.

I know! It's fascinating, isn't it?

Good thing Dresden never met Erik Silverstar, that guy's habit of butchering language would've probably had the poor dwarf end up a customer in his own establishment.

So! The big question! What about that dead man's switch? Now that the ripper's dead, are you going to collect?

drat right I'm gonna collect.

Hey, just because we got one 100k doesn't mean we don't have space for seconds.

Excellent! I'm sure you deserve it. How do you collect, anyway?

I was told I need a secure line to call the number Sam gave me. Can’t use my commlink.

[He brightens.] Lone Star’s Emergency Response Team set up a secure phone line right here to coordinate their efforts. I can authorize you to use it!

Then I guess it’s time to end this thing.

I guess so! Take care, Amazon!

You were always one of the few legitimately good people around, Dresden. At least as far as we know.

This is the point of no return. We've done everything we can and talked to everyone we can, so let's just go ahead and make this final call.

Man, has it really been just a few days?

Oh hey it's... Chet, was it? Wait, did Chet have a facial tattoo?

Hold on. Are you even a lawyer?

Yeah... of course. Well... technically I'm not a lawyer anymore but... uh... I'll just slot Sam's video for you. Hang on.

If you're calling this number, that means the job is done, right?

Technically the job was done a while ago, but we got a little sidetracked somewhere along the way.

[He closes his eyes. Shakes his head.] Congratulations, amigo! I knew you'd do it. You were always the dependable one. More than me, anyway.

[He looks back at you, trying to speak soberly.] I - I just want to say thank you. For *whatever* you did. It means a lot - not even knowing what you did - it *still* means a lot. ‘Cuz I know you did something. You know what I mean? I KNOW you made it right, somehow.

From the looks of it I doubt you knew what time of day it was, much less what we have or haven't made right since then.

Just tell her I love her.

Boy howdy. If only Sam and this whole family had managed to figure out their numerous issues when they still had the chance...

[He straightens himself. Shakes it off. That grin is back.]

Anyway, you need to get paid! Which would be great except for one thing - I got nothin’. Never did! You know how it is, right? Sorry. But hey - thanks again for giving a crap! Seriously. I appreciate it.

Excuse me?

...This is exactly how it was going to go from the start, wasn't it. You really were a real fucker of a guy all the way to the end, Sam. It's honestly kind of impressive. But it also can't be denied that at the end of the day we did dig ourselves up from the hole we had fallen in thanks to you, even if it was in a roundabout way. But still, gently caress you man. For everything, and in behalf of everyone involved.

So? What did he say?

He told me to never trust a dead man.

And with those wise words, our story has reached its end.

The ending is entirely in text form, something that'll remain true for the entire series. Hong Kong does feature simple ending cutscenes in addition to the text though. And unlike this game, both Dragonfall and Hong Kong feature multiple endings.

So, this has been Shadowrun Returns. I hadn't actually played it in a long time before doing this LP, so it was interesting to go back to it after having played the later games. I stand by my opinion that it's overall a game worth playing, and I especially came to appreciate what a good job it does at easing you in to the Shadowrun universe. That said it's plain to see why it's so overshadowed by it's follow-ups, and revisiting the original has also made me appreciate just how much Harebrained Schemes learned and improved going into Dragonfall (and especially its Director's Cut version). One thing that I grew more negative on was the endgame which was even weaker than I remembered, and the game doing such a bad job at sticking its landing undoubtedly contributed to the unfavorable aftertaste a lot of players ended up with.

Still, Shadowrun is one of my favorite fictional settings and I'm glad this game got made despite its rough edges. And hey, without it we wouldn't have Dragonfall and Hong Kong either.

Thanks for reading, and special thanks to everyone who posted in the thread. You've all been great.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Dec 6, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Thanks for all the kind words, I hope you had at least half as much fun reading the LP as I did making it.

radintorov posted:

Congratulations on finishing this LP!
I know that it's a lot of work and you probably won't, but I am still hoping you will tackle Dragonfall next.

Yeah, I don't know, it is a lot of work.

What do you think, Soviet captain Georgi Kukov from the 1996 video game Command & Conquer: Red Alert?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGLjSMpzS-Q&t=50s

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Poil posted:

Thank you so much for running through this. :neckbeard:

Be careful you don't run into a wall with Berlin.

I think it should be alright since all the stuff I've gradually learned and improved on when making this LP should transfer directly to Dragonfall without requiring any major adjustments. For example I have like six different image crop presets (one for loading screens, another for dialogue boxes that don't have a portrait, etc.) that should work the exact same there, and having things like that figured out from the start makes things a lot smoother on my end. Plus everything related to dialogue, and that's kind of a big part of Dragonfall, should be about a hundred times easier thanks to the editor.

I'm not gonna claim it won't take a while at my slow-rear end pace, but it's definitely doable.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

(That's a link)

• Locked thread