Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kanfy posted:

I don't actually have any idea how good they are in base Returns as I've never tried one. I know you can make a real strong one in the later games what with the omnipresent cover and everything, but cover and the whole damage system are different here.

But I understand the sentiment, and if we could hack terminals with magic punches then this wouldn't have even been a vote.

Live your dreams!
male
troll
drones
Punch Hack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Kanfy posted:

That reminds me, fun fact about naming your character: The character limit isn't actually 12.

It's 110.

Magic :allears:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Kanfy posted:

I was about 70% sure we'd up with a troll after I mentioned how they make for the worst Decker.

I just wanted a hacker that hacked things by slamming their deck through the screen.
Also to try and live up to the flavor text's race description. Because, "Heavy prejudice against them has led people to think trolls have lowered intelligence, but in reality there is no proof to this" made me laugh so hard when it was immediately followed by that dismal int cap.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

A name for our ordinamce delivery system?
Prime

E: fb

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 26, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

What's your name?
Murphy, sir

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Its good to see that in his very first update robocop remorselessly gunned down a cruminal.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Just wanted to say your lp got me interested in looking at these games and they've been real fun!

On the bug talk, the only one I saw of note was hilarious and of a similar vein. Instead of a reload overriting all npc stats, it overwrote my character's info with that of a dead npc.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

A couple more for the pool.

Worker
Bee
Roomba

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

One thing ive really noticed is that these games are pretty good about having checks on a variety of stats and skills. Its not just pump charisma for 90% of all checks.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah but its still funny that this totally rad swordsman sprite is given to a normal bloke powerless to save his son.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

I won't hear such slander about Glory the murder-nado. :colbert:

Seriously, did that guy try to make her use pistols or something?
Regardless, she has an ability to just give herself more ap at no cost. That alone makes her super good.

The remaining two do their jobs pretty all right too.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Starting as a decker is fine but I also thought that of dms. Did you completely ignore combat stats?

That said dragonfall and hong kong are much more team focused where you'll always have a full team of four for missions, so a utility character for your pc is easier than in dms.

Alternatively, they both give you free deckers if you dont want your pc to bother

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I really hope this lp gets to that one. Iys great

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Hope y'all like dialogue, coz we'll mostly be flapping gums for a while.

This series in a nutshell.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

"Well, at least we got the bad guys"
"Which ones?"
"All of them?"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Oh yeah, its kind of easy to slip past, but that enemy decker in the last update? Literally the only one in the entire series that you can murder in real life to clear out the web. Any other time enemy hackers appear they're logging in from elsewhere.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The big downside to Hong Kong decking is that it makes esps pretty useless since the goal is avoidance, not confrontation. It's still fun, I just wish it had a proper place for my super hackers super programs.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

wiegieman posted:

You need ESPs in some of the later servers, it's almost impossible to get through without having to fight at least some IC.

Not good ones. I think I didnt even max the skill with a 6 cap because they almost never saw use and I wanted cool cyber limbs. Never had any problems, you want the extra bodies more than the stats.

Then again maybe it was like that in the first two games and I was just wasting points

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Personally I just hired freebies only, because I'm a greedy bastard.

whats that? you gave me a ton of cash to hire back up? sure thing!
*Shows up later loaded up with guns because reloading is for squares*
Got our back up rifles right here!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Nah I bet its that one team from hong kong's internet boards that keeps losing people to increasingly dumb things.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

What the hell is that glowing hose supposed to be FOR anyway?

Gatorade. Gotta keep yourself hydrated. This guy liked the purple flavor, but your pc always prefered the light blue one

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I mean, all you really need is for doc wagon to think someone else summoned them. As long as you arent the false positive they cant trace it back to you.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

BurningStone posted:

I played all three games, and melee always felt, not underpowered, but suboptimal. You have to get out of cover and burn AP running to your target, instead of planting yourself behind something solid and blasting away. Any advice for building a good melee or adept character?

Think of them as a support class, they dart in and either disable the enemy for a turn with ap damage or knock them out of cover for your ranged members to mow them down. Adepts eventually get a skill that lets them act as if they are in cover at all times for when you cant share cover with your target and want a second swing at them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

sebmojo posted:

glory in DF is supposedly weak as a melee character but I found her very solid once she got powered up a little.

Nah, she can still contribute with claws quite handily. Her pistol skills are trashgarbage to the point that I used her unbuffed melee over the pistol skills I buffed.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Ugh, I understand it's difficult to create outfits that are visually distinctive and appropriate to the setting, but most of the stuff that isn't outright "Matrix" is pretty bad.

And then there's the top hat and tourist stuff.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

That's why I said "most". :colbert:

I wasn't disagreeing with you, just highlighting the jump in quality for those

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Eh, we're close to the end anyway. No real reason to advocate jumping ship.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I mean, the guy isnt protected by a Corp anymore . He's a goner the second the next team comes for him, at significantly less pay than our team would get because its so much easier to grab him.

Sure our employer has to wait longer, but we made it so his costs go down the tubes and like he said, they will find and kidnap the guy soon enough anyways.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

No minigun in sms. I think smartlink weapons are in?

That said the minigun is great and amazing to play with.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Probably ought to go the other way around. The minigun is a late mid/endgame weapon. Better to be good early on and pick up the side requisite later.

The karma cost isnt too horrible if you space out picking up a point here and there either. I had no problems making a cybered up mini gun deckers in the games where I could do that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Nah, the best armor in the game is the suit model. Gotta look classy as you gun down corporate drones, rival gangsn and commit crime.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It's also easy enough to go through dms without paying a single merc until you're almost done. I think this was last mission I bothered being a cheap rear end though, there's a ton of combat in the end game for some reason and I got lazy.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I love how this guy gets hyped to all hell.

And then you go into a mission with him.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Him whining about how letting the bug guy run around is dangerous would work.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Huh, so you have to fail all three dialogue trees to actually have consequences? This section is a lot more generous than I thought it was.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I dont know posted:

I would be fine with this if the game presented it this way. But everyone we chatted with back at the union talked him up as some kind of matrix god. Smash cut to the run going south as a result of his repeated fuckups, half baked plans, and general incompetence.

I mean the two aren't exclusive. The matrix stuff he did went fine. The everything else he did was a horrible clusterfuck of bad calls. Hes the sort of guy thats good at his individual job, but should never, ever be put in charge.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

queserasera posted:

Out of all the GM NPCs in the room, Aljernon impresses me the most. It's obvious why he's there once he joins the conversation. What's not obvious is his parity with the other chucklenuts present and I like him better as a character exactly for that reason.

He's really interesting in that he's the only modest person in that room. Everyone else is power tripping over each other and Alj is just like, "You've done a great job. Glad you could make it, PC. Here's what we're up against."

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

OutofSight posted:

Uh, no. Outside of the ONE Etiquette: Academic action he plays the "mysterious magical elf" card all the time. It is like saying, that James Telestrian III is a understanding guy, if you have that Etiquette: Corporate.

His other conversation this update is him saying, "Nice to see you" followed by declaring that no he isn't going to talk about how awesome and powerful he and the people he hangs out with are, he's going to sell you stuff after the meeting.

It's a pretty big difference from harlequin gleefully pestering the dragon because he can.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Pseudohog posted:

As someone who never played Shadowrun TT, and only got halfway through this game before burning out - I have to say this scene would have had hardly any impact on me at the time because I had no idea who these people are. Seeing it from this perspective, that these are some of the most powerful people in the entire setting, and they're basically begging the PC for help to save the entire world - it's just playing to the fanbase!
I was expecting a fairly low key storyline, tangling with the megacorps a few times along the way, I'm just a bit disapointed they felt the need to escalate it into an apocalypse scenario so quickly!

They're still the head of a mega corp that rules the setting, a rep of another(as far as you know), an unknown talking poo poo to those two, and your neighborhood magic dealer.

It's pretty clear that you are way, way in over your head at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Stroth posted:

Realistically, Telestrian probably has enough HTR teams within five minutes of travel from where he's standing at any given time to clean out this entire nest without the slightest problem. That's why this entire sequence is so horrible. They're trying to pander to the fanbase while simultaneously doing things that the fans who know these characters know make absolutely no sense in the setting.

Yeah, but those guys didn't save his sister/daughter/whatever and if the current, more fun, method fails he's always got those guys as back up. It's risk free!*

*Please ignore the fact that this explanation assumes Telestrian isn't a smug, stuck up rear end in a top hat with no sense of fun, or in other words an elf.

• Locked thread