Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Ground floor! I'm not sure what it says about me that I've only played the game on Normal so far.

Anyway, my vote for our runner is the following:

- She is female.
- She is an Elf.
- She fights with Drones (everything else is just so inefficient with regards to Karma use).
- Her street name, because I am creatively bankrupt and take inspiration from the closest thing possible at the time of character creation, is Dragon Lady. Always cut a deal with Dragon Lady!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

anilEhilated posted:

I'd like this to be quick and painless so I'm gonna vote for a Troll Shotgunner. I kinda like Draig for a lady's name.

Alternately, we could make full use of the character limit and come up with some kind of decking/computer related joke like filling the thing with ones and zeroes. There's gotta be someone tech-savvier in the audience though.

e: Should add I love this series of games to bits even if DMS happens to be a just a lovely example of what to do with the campaign creation tools.

I mean, if one wants to go with a techy name that doesn't blow up the character limit, one could always go with a hex word. I'm sure 0xA1337E1F would have gone over great on Shadowland.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

GoneRampant posted:

Elves also get a bonus to Charisma. Since talking is a huge thing in these games, that tends to make them a popular race.

That and, IMO, they're the best race for most builds.

Well, elves get a "bonus" to Charisma. Unless I completely misunderstand things, what happens (at least with this "new" Shadowrun trilogy) is that you start with one more point of Charisma than normal. So if you're building a character with a custom class, that means you get 2 Charisma instead of 1 to start with, meaning that you saved a grand total of 2 Karma. Alternatively, you can pick Human, and get 3 free Karma to allocate however you wish.

And it's not like you're going to hit the stat caps at 9 anyway.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

You know, I do really enjoy the fact that we're naming our character after a corporation. It's a special touch for Shadowrun.

Also, yeah, magic healing is really annoying with its "only the last wound gets healed". I'm currently playing a custom campaign where my three man team consists of my runner (a mage with a heal spell), a shaman with a heal spell, and somebody that can actually use a gun. It gets kind of iffy sometimes.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Man, that Armitage guy sure does look familiar.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Man, Jake's statline is kinda weird. I never looked at it before. Strong attributes in all of the base stats, but nothing to match in the substats. I might be biased from the characters I played (mage, rigger, decker), but whenever I raised a main stat, I'd always raise the relevant substats before raising the main stat again.

As an aside, one of the fun things of playing custom campaigns is that certain faces take on a life of their own. This random thug here, for instance, is now not just a random thug to me, but also the leader of a human supremacist group operating in CalFree. Guy's come a long way, especially given that he ends this encounter by being dead.

Kanfy posted:

Then again people LP and read LPs of visual novels as well (nice work with Root Double by the way, TheMcD) so maybe it's not as big of a deal as I imagine.

Cross-thread props! The best kind of props. Very appreciated.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yeah, I'm sure stims can be useful, but I never used them myself, either. I did get tons of usage out of medkits and drone repair kits, though.

inscrutable horse posted:

There's stims, and then there's Jazz (and in Dragonfall, Cram). That +1 AP is enough to turn all my runners into hardened drug-fiends.

Huh. I think I gave up on stims before noticing that that one gave +1 AP, because I never knew that and just filed it under "sell instantly" like the rest. That could have been useful.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

So I've been taking this LP as an opportunity to replay the game at Very Hard as a mage. And I have to say, poo poo sucks when you're kinda squishy and enemies can actually hit.

It was off to a good start when I started out fighting the two thugs at Jake's dead drop and never got to move because the two thugs combined to do enough damage to my character to kill her, leading to an instant game over. Body 2 was a mistake. I've been trying to make her more sturdy, but man, it just feels like everybody homes right in on my character. Yeah, I know, "geek the mage", but drat.

And while we're on Coyote's room, the password recovery asks about her first pet's name, which is "Shadow" (that's something you learn from the computer), about her home city, which is Chicago, and about her favorite musical artist. I don't remember the answer for that one, and I don't remember where you actually find the information regarding that. Does anybody know where you get that from?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Psion posted:

I believe you have to leave her room and go back and ask Mrs Kubota about it.

Yeah, I guess that would do it. I just figured brute forcing it was the quicker solution.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Psion posted:

...what? How?

Looking at the red numbers, I'm guessing some sort of underflow?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Deathwind posted:

Isn't red the indicator of a maxed stat?

No, that doesn't have an indicator. I know because my mage has maxed Willpower at this point. Green is a bonus, red should therefore be a malus.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Wait, Paco has 8 Charisma? gently caress me. My elf mage with a major in Charisma had 8 Charisma after finishing the second to last part of the game! And Paco doesn't have any cool at all - he manages to keep the facade up for about a minute before it crumbles like a house of cards.

I bet that for his Etiquettes, he just picked Street four times.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Kanfy posted:

I'd still like a confirmation from someone that they can reproduce the bug though, just in case. Starting Dragonfall: Director's Cut on Very Hard and checking Dietrich's stats would probably be enough as well.

Can confirm Dietrich's stats match up with what you've seen on my end.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

resurgam40 posted:

Also: :stare: I have never played a rigger before, and I see now that that is a mistake.

One rigger is rad. A double rigger on a team is even radder. Two riggers is peak radical, and also peak death. At that point, you don't even need to really worry about things like "not pissing everybody off during a run" because who cares, you've got three death robots on top of everything else on your team.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SIGSEGV posted:

Actually is there any faction in shadowrun that isn't a bunch of pricks in a systemic way? Apart from irrelevant tiny powerless groups?

Dunkelzahn was pretty cool, I think. I suppose a Great Dragon counts as a faction.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Finding that hellhound guarding the gems as a weak fledgling mage on Very Hard was not fun, let me tell you. I was entirely gambling on like four ~50% hit rate attacks all hitting, and somehow they actually did.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Xander77 posted:

And, again - this is a part of the design in Dragonfall. Party members are supposed to be worse than the PC would be at whatever, so that you don't feel bad about picking up a role an NPC is already handling. Reversed in HK, to much acclaim.

Huh. I guess that's why Glory never really seemed to be able to keep up with Enflamme, my chromed-out murder-adept, during my runthrough of Dragonfall on Very Hard. Then again, expecting a party member to keep pace with a monster that ended up with 12 Strength might have been a bit ridiculous.

Is it a general thing that if you're playing on the hardest difficulty, the PC starts out being the weakest of the group and eventually turns into the strongest? N, my character for my Dead Man's Switch runthrough, started out being somewhat easily murderable within a single round of enemy fire, but ended up a 10 Willpower, 10 Spellcasting, 12 Charisma mage of death, fire, and talkyness that dealt with the endgame with ease. Same with Enflamme, my Dragonfall character. She started out needing at least one, if not two revival items per run because she kept getting torn up by enemies with superior accuracy, but by the end of it, she was taking hits like nobody's business and punching people to death with ease, and she didn't even need much of the adept spells (good thing too, since that means I could shove more chrome into her).

Also, Blitz is worth it just for his trust mission.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

It's always great to see the shopkeepers for the first time. Nothing like looking at some of them and going "yep, never going to talk to you ever again".

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Man, Jake. Just get a party face. Things get so much easier when people actually think you're supposed to be there. Just look at Johnny Clean, he knows how to do it. Nobody suspects the janitor, and with a bit of smooth talk, nobody suspects the "outside contractor troubleshooters" either.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Kanfy posted:

To be fair, Johnny Clean looks like Generic McGenericFace whereas you could recognize Jake's hair half the city away on a clear day.

Still, if you can talk quick enough, even the troll with the mohawk that doesn't even have a cyberdeck passes for a Matrix expert troubleshooter. Anything is possible with enough Charisma.

Also, Coyote Ugly? Really?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The largest lump sum I've ever gotten in this series was 5000 nuyen, in Hong Kong. And for some reason, in one playthrough, that payment got upgraded to 10000 nuyen. Not sure if that was a bug or a feature.

Also, another neat dialogue option is telling McKlusky that it's standard procedure to contact the next of kin, to which he turns to Shannon and says "Consider yourself contacted. Now get the hell out.".

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm guessing the NTSB has been privatized by now?

When in doubt, yes.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Psion posted:

DF and then HK, for several reasons. But do play both, since punching enemies is better in HK (in my opinion) though it takes longer to get to maximum punching power.

HK does add new toys for punching enemies, so I'm still regretting not making my Adept character in HK, but punching stuff with Glory is also really great, especially in her trust mission, so I don't regret making my Adept in DF. Either is a good choice, really, since you don't have an Adept in your main team either way. Adepts and offensive Mages are two characters that play nicely in both games and don't make you feel like you're making one character from your main crew obsolete.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Huh, I don't think I ever had Gino not die in that conversation.

Does that actually *do* something - like, give you an extra point of Karma? I know not having any civilian casualties gives you extra Karma (because I got screwed out of it in one run where a long-range shotgun blast and botched grenade from enemies took out one of them without me being able to do anything about it, which ticked me off a bit).

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I usually ran with as many Nephilim Network runners as the job allowed. The small uptick in price is worth it for the utility they bring.

My favorite team was N, my combat mage that focuses on offensive spellcasting, but has some utility spells like Armor and Heal Wound, Kendon, who has enough decking capability to be useful but can also use a gun well enough so he's not pointless when he's not decking, Justin Case, who is the same except for drones instead of decking, and El Duce, who provides more firepower on top. That's four characters with solid offensive output plus utility in decking, rigging and magic, which is everything you need for a solid run. That team served me well throughout the game.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Oh, yeah, Falk is good people. I didn't need him on my Very Hard playthroughs thanks to my main character bringing the magic, but he was a fixture of every other one of my playthroughs. Support magic is some good poo poo.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Running into another team of runners is usually a bad thing, even if you're on completely different targets. It's just that this time we were the assholes that show up wanting to steal your target. Well, not necessarily wanting, but hey, nuyen is nuyen.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I wonder if you could use DocWagon to really gently caress up some other runner team's run that needs to stay silent. I guess explosives would do a better job and come with less strings attached, though.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Kanfy posted:

Then you have Amazon who is so out of favor that even her own teammates won't revive her, if she ever goes down it's instant game over.

Man, never mind all the other changes the later games brought - being able to use your own DocWagon kits when you go down is a loving godsend. Being a squishy mage on Very Hard was hell.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SSNeoman posted:

So from what I understand all we need is one more level in Drone Control before we get access to some new friends? Since you mentioned the last few levels being prohibitively expensive, would that be the last level you need in it?

Unlocking the last class of drones is probably the last level worth unlocking, unless you're going *super* into drones (i.E. everything else is a dump stat), in which case going to Drone Combat 9 is worth shooting for because holy gently caress 4 AP drones.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Double Plus Undead posted:

I remember the combat being a lot harder but it could be I'm confusing it with the upcoming section.

To me, this part was pretty easy overall. Around this time is when the PC can really hit their stride with whatever their specialty is - as demonstrated with Amazon hitting the wonder that is Drone Combat 6 in the last update - and the PC is the one in the party that can really wreck poo poo once unleashed.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

radintorov posted:

Higher rank Support drones are more than worth it both due to the grenades and equipment they bring to a battle and because they get pretty good at killing things with their mortar compared to the Smoker drone.

Yeah, the grenades and medkits are really what you're bringing the support drone for. The mortar is capable at times, but has a real problem with accuracy.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Kanfy posted:

On an unrelated note

R.I.P. Amazon

???? - 2054

"I don't need 4 points in Body, I've got drones!"

Alas, you can't sit in a van a few miles away and operate your murderdrones from there - you still have to get in range of the things that make you get dead as a rigger in these games.

Points in Body. They do a body good.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I think there's a couple of bits and pieces that also point towards the "Sam's liver came from his mother" connection, though it might not be noticeable if you don't know about it already. The one I remember is this one:

Kanfy posted:

Part 11b - Meeting the Locals Continued

Sam was sick?

Well, his liver problems are definitely gone now that the liver took the problems with it.

Did he say how he got better?

He said his mom helped him out. Never said how, though.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

citybeatnik posted:

If I recall correctly his will also included things like loving with all the immortal elves that were pretending to be mortal and also hunting down one dude in particular.

Yeah, Dunkelzahn's Will has some really interesting bits. Dunkelzahn sure was a character.

Dunkelzahn's Will posted:

After much research and hundreds of bags of burned Nuke-and-Pop, I leave 20 million nuyen to the holder of the patent for the twentieth-century process that produced popcorn capable of being popped over an open flame (this dragon’s method of choice). I believe it was called Speedy Pop, or Quick Pop, or something similar. The patent holder must use this money to renew the patent and resume production.
[...]
To the Tokyo Shoe nightclub in Seattle, I leave my complete first-printing collection of Godjira and related films. Long may your club roar.
[...]
To Jeremy Goldsmith, I leave the recipe to Ms. Grundland’s Peanut Butter Cookies, as well as related trademarks and copyrights. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.
[...]
For a period of ten days beginning on 14 February 2057, Lars J. Matthews will cease to possess any legal status. He will be stripped of all evidence of legal existence, including SIN, credsticks, DocWagon contract, bank accounts and so on. To the individual or group who ends Lars J. Matthews’ physical existence during those ten days, I leave all of Matthews’ assets and 1 million nuyen for a job well done. If Mr. Matthews survives and can prove his identity, his legal status and all possessions will be restored to him. Haven’t you heard? Never deal with a dragon, Lars.
[...]
To any person who possesses a ticket stub to Maria Mercurial’s only foray into country music, performed at My Brother’s Place in the Nashville sprawl: present yourself to the Draco Foundation at any time, and the Foundation will grant you one wish. I believe the saying is, be careful what you wish for—you may well get it.
[...]
To Art Dankwalther, I leave the sum of 34,586,224,739.58 in UCAS dollars. According to my calculations and accounting for conversion of the original currency, inflation, and 1 percent interest per annum, this settles my debt to your ancestor for the gold piece he kindly lent me for the last meal we shared.
[...]
To Vlad Curcio, I leave my open-ended pass to Virtual World Disney. I’m glad we bumped into each other there last fall, and I hope you've recovered from the broken collar bone. "It's a small world, after all."

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

sebmojo posted:

glory in DF is supposedly weak as a melee character but I found her very solid once she got powered up a little.

In my Adept playthrough, I had constant problems with her missing. And this was with the patched / Director's Cut version - though it was on Very Hard, so that does make everybody worse at hitting. My Adept was kicking rear end and taking names at the same time, though.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Huh. I never actually holed up on that left side of the map. I always went over to the right, using the walls and that crypt for cover until the first team was down, then moving further right, which then had every enemy coming from the left. That made things a bit easier.

But yeah, having a squishy mage during this part wasn't fun. Lots of dying.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Kanfy posted:

It's also the least memorable mission in the entire series, so I wouldn't blame anyone for forgetting it even if they had done it.

I at least thought it was somewhat memorable because of the line "I have a fragging HERD of BASILISKS, idiot." Something about that line is just special. Also, the corp mage has some pretty neat getup.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OutofSight posted:

Btw on the subject of builds: Is this an okay place to ask for creation/optimization advice?

I want to fianlly push through SR:HK as a mage, but don't know how you make them work efficiently.
Played with rifle/decker and the "Amazon build" (decker/rigger) and wanted something new (or less expensive than decker/rigger).

It depends on what kind of mage you want to build - support or offensive. And since HK gives you a shaman, the offensive type is one that slots in fairly nicely to the other characters the game already provides you with.

This character build was what I beat DMS with on Very Hard, and it was wrecking poo poo pretty hard while also getting a lot of the talky bits.

In the early game, focus on Willpower and Spellcasting only, paying some slight lip service to Body and Charisma. You'll be squishy as all hell, but that's what having other people around is for. Once you get Willpower and Spellcasting up and have an outfit that boosts it too, start boosting Body and Charisma more. Finally, if you're really flush with Karma, you can get into Quickness and Dodge, or maybe Intelligence and BioTech depending on what you want your mage to also be able to do - either run in and not die while flinging fireballs, or also keeping other party members alive in different ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OutofSight posted:

"N" is a reference to your Visual Novel lets play (can't remember the exact name)?

Yeah. I'm not very creative when it comes to making up character names.

OutofSight posted:

My greatest problem is really to find a good spell synergy/selection, which worth upgrading. Lightning spells with -AP debuffs sounds nice as a go-to spell and CHA is needed for being the talky chummer in the group (and for some spell requirements).
Don't want to be the guy, that stands in a corner half the time doing nothing or shooting lame "powerbolts" (Though that might just be an issue with the npc mages).

What served me well was going for quantity over quality. You want low AP costs and low cooldowns. Ideally, you're never using your Powerbolt basic spell because you always have something else going. So start with something like your basic Flamethrower, Acid Stream, and Manabolt so you always have something to throw (Lightning Bolt is cool, but 3 turns of cooldown is so not cool). Maybe swap one of those three out for an AoE spell like Fireball. Once you've got your offensive output going, look into an offensive-defensive spell - something that takes enemies out of combat for those key targets, like Blindness. Finally, get Strip Armor for your debuff - again, for those key targets that are tougher than usual.

Don't bother with any support spells like Aim or Heal Wound, your shaman should take care of that poo poo. Your job is to 1) hurt people and 2) make it easier to hurt people.

One additional bonus of going hard into Willpower and Spellcasting is that you get a lot of spell slots early, so you can get a wide variety early and always have something to do.

Oh, and of course, never get any cyberware. Keeping your essence is key here, because losing it means losing spell slots.

• Locked thread