Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Danaru posted:

Not that I'm biased or anything :frog:also the shadowrun snes LP is an old shame please play the game for yourself it's good

Just wanted to say, don't sell yourself short. I have fond memories of that LP.

I have to admit I'm rather sad we're not continuing the adventures of Norbert :saddowns:

mauman fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Well...

The game was never designed for standard saving and loading.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

TildeATH posted:

Really? Why?

As RedMagus stated, the game wasn't designed/built with non-autosaves in mind.

It was added WAY later (after a lot of complaining) and I'm frankly not surprised it caused issues.

Personally, I was ok with the lack of saving since it forced you to accept non-perfect wins and prevented save-scumming.

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 9, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Tiggum posted:

I've never understood this perspective. If you don't want to save-scum, just don't. I don't save-scum, but I do appreciate being able to just stop playing at any time without losing any progress. Why do you need the game to force you to do something that you want to do anyway?

Because I'll save scum like a scrub if given the option.

This forces me to up my game.

And yes, I have weak willpower thank you very much.

Don't get me wrong though, I have no problem with the fact that this game has a save/load feature to it (besides the fact that it's buggy as hell). I just don't really have a problem when it doesn't have one either.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

resurgam40 posted:

Also: :stare: I have never played a rigger before, and I see now that that is a mistake.

A lot of rigging stuff can accomplished with having one point in rigging and a drone following you around to go poke in holes for you.

As a bonus, the drone gets shot at a lot instead of you, so it's free hp.

Just beware of grenades....till hong kong :getin:

You can do something similar with spirits....just having enough to get a totem is enough to, well, have a totem (which is an amazing thing unto itself, and get's better with each game) but will also provide you with a fair amount of solutions to problems you otherwise might not be able to take care of.

My point is that in this iteration of shadowrun, it pays to diversify a bit. That's not really the case in the p&p version though.

mauman fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 10, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

Regardless, she has an ability to just give herself more ap at no cost. That alone makes her super good.

Glory's problem is that she can't hit the broadside of a barn with her pistol or even with her claws on the hardest difficulties. She's a jack of all trades - sucker of all. I like the character but she does not scale well....at all.

I never understood (ok I understand, but his flaws are strengths to me) the Blitz hate, he makes me laugh + he's the single most competent decker the games ever give you (at least at the decking part, Is0bel is definitely better in meat space). He's almost as competent as a PC decker which is something not even Is0bel can claim since he at least upgrades his deck to a max AP model.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Xander77 posted:

You must be playing with some sort of mod that reverses character points. Is0bel is a better Decker than you, unless you focus exclusively on decking, neglecting combat entirely.

Buzz, on the other hand, will never, EVER pass an optional decking check or be capable of handling combat in the matrix.

And, again - this is a part of the design in Dragonfall. Party members are supposed to be worse than the PC would be at whatever, so that you don't feel bad about picking up a role an NPC is already handling. Reversed in HK, to much acclaim.

No, I'm not.

1. Is0bel doesn't get a max AP rig....EVER.

2. Blitz (assuming you take the decker upgrades, and why the hell wouldn't you?!) has 8 decking and a max AP rig by end game. That's nearly as good as a PC decker, since the max decking in this game is 9. Is0bel never maxes out either so that can't be held against him. Hell, the fact he gets a free Fairlight is a huge bonus to use him versus being a decker yourself, since that poo poo costs tons of money.

Plus Blitz can cover most of the optional decking things that actually matter. Sure he can't cover them all, but he can deal with most of them.

If you don't like blitz due to his character, then fine. I find him endearing but I understand why other's can't stand him. Downplaying his competency is silly when the numbers say otherwise. The only thing he's missing at end game are a few cheap programs/esps to supplement his abilities. Otherwise he's golden when it comes to decker combat.

Now, I'm NOT saying that Is0bel isn't competent when it comes to decking. What I am saying is that any problem that Blitz has is fixable by the player (programs and ESPS)*. Is0bel's problems are NOT fixable since she refuses to let players upgrade her rig. Ultimately if you use all available resources, Blitz is the better decker. Argue all you want but ultimately you only have (bad) opinions, I have in-game stats.

*Is0bel has this problem too, but it's fixable just like it is for Blitz.

Make of that what you will.

Kanfy posted:

The actual best Dragonfall companion is Lucky Strike and her not being a proper crew member is the only thing holding her back from being a no-brainer addition to every mission especially early on.

Oh yeah, that's the other problem with Glory. There's a character that fills her role in every way but better in the form of Lucky Strike.

mauman fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 16, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Psion posted:

What you're talking about was solved in Director's Cut - if I remember right, prior to that he didn't get those level-up boosts and his stats never grew appropriately. In original DF, he really was that bad. I imagine that's where a lot of the hate comes from.

Now personally, I've played DF and HK multiple times both as a decker and as a not-decker and I much preferred is0 as a teammate decker regardless of stats. It's all about context so I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I don't agree. :shrug:

Funny thing is I was an original backer so I played the original version. Judging Blitz on that though is a bit unfair. I do like Is0, she has some pretty great moments. I guess I just like them both, and as such never see the point in playing as a decker (unless you want to go rig/deck and while that's difficult but possible in Berlin, good loving luck doing that in Hong Kong :saddowns:)

I was just annoyed that Xander was implying that I was playing a mod which is why I came off a little testy.

TheMcD posted:

Also, Blitz is worth it just for his trust mission.

:hfive:

You have good taste.

mauman fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 17, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

That's all on the reviewers. Making an adventure fun is almost all on the GM. And I say that as a GM. Part of being a good GM is taking an adventure and spinning it in a direction that leads to your players having the most fun.

Not that I've ever played Shadowrun tabletop. I want to, but man those rules. :sigh:

I might be given an evil eye here, but as I agree that Shadowrun rules tend to be a bit over complicated I tried something to make it simpler on a new group that I GM'ed

With a little bit of tweaking, D20 Modern does a fine job of simulating Shadowrun since D20 Modern has a slew of optional rules to implement mystical elements (basically porting D&D magic/psionics).

It worked very well. Almost too well annoyingly enough. Next time I played normal Shadowrun I almost thought I would have preferred the other system.

mauman fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 25, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

UnwiseTrout posted:

I'm pretty sure they can, just has to be metahuman stock.

Nope. Heavily cooking meat makes it inedible to ghouls.

You can (very) lightly cook it but that's it. For instance, you could have man-steak tartar, but going any further up (even standard rare-cooked) is going to give a ghoul serious stomach issues.

mauman fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 31, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

Cloned meat doesn't work. What ghouls are actually being nourished by is the residual Essence remaining in the dead flesh, and if it wasn't an actual living human then it never had any Essence to begin with.

It can kinda work.

I would go into details but I wonder if it would violate the rules about talking future shadowrun events (even if they have almost nothing to do with the games themselves).

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

So, this isn't Shadowrun, but I figured y'all should check this game out.

It's called Star Crawlers, and if you like cyberpunk mixed with 1st person dungeoneering (but corporate locations not dungeons) and sci-fi I would HIGHLY recommend it.

Kanfy posted:

If you know exactly what happens in all three games then I trust your judgment, there's no hard ban of such talk in place or anything. People who haven't played the games but otherwise know the setting are the ones who ought to be the most careful.

Ah good. In that case I was talking about whole-meta cloning. Corps have the ability to make metas that are as sentient as needed, including almost brain dead ones. It's not really practical to do so unless you have particular needs for an experiment or something though.

Asamando (the ghoul nation) in particular sometimes invests in such things, but it's generally cheaper for them to buy Corps' prisoners and dissidents. Speaking of which, don't break the law in Asamando if you ever visit there in a Shadowrun game (or at least by all that's holy don't get caught). They're infamous for their prison systems for obvious reasons.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Siegkrow posted:

Do they have an "all crimes are equal" Judge dredd schtick or do they reserve that for bad poo poo?
Like, could you get BBQ'd for piracy?

They're trying to have a decent system.....but considering the U.N hasn't been impressed (including one U.N. team accidentally being added to lunch disappearing) I'd say they're failing badly.

Speaking of which, the Corporate Council recognizes the Asamando, but the U.N. most certainly does not.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 3, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Bushmeister posted:

The Big change was in Dragonfall or Dragonfall: Director's Cut, and then they tweaked some subsystems/elements in HK IIRC

Uh....what?

The revamped matrix wasn't till HK. Dragonfall (and the DC for that matter) used the Returns versions with a few tweaks.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Stalk up on Exploders.

No skill needed to make those extremely dangerous.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Ah yes, the hire-able runners, back when they still mattered Evil Hong Kong not withstanding

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

Shadowrun would be much better as a straight cyberpunk setting, with mutation induced races and some future techno magic. The ridiculous mythos behind everything does nothing but undermine the core aesthetic and make the game more tedious. And I think this very game will illustrate my point for me in the upcoming updates.

Then it would be more or less Gamma World.

So no. Shadowrun wouldn't be it's unique little niche without those "ridiculous" mythos.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

GhostStalker posted:

Isn't the current (elected) High Prince in the Tir a dwarf now?

I wanna say it's an Orc.

Which would be even more amusing.

edit: doh, should have read the previous post first :downs:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Ah man, the will is always a good read.

Makes me chuckle it does.

It also pissed off every dragon, since till then it was customary that Dragons would subsume the dead dragon's horde/assets, based on power and/or pretty much however they could get a slice of the pie.

Even the ones that made out of pretty good (like Lofwyr) were bothered by it.

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 1, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

wiegieman posted:

Dunkelzahn also outed Aztechnology (I mean, officially, everybody already knew) as Blood Magic users.

Even set up a (still running) bounty of 1 million nuyen for each live capture of a blood mage. Dangerous work, but good pay if you can pull it off. Pretty good Middle Finger from the grave to Aztec.

He also has that set up for Toxic Shamans.

Also, this has to be one of my favorites from the will -

"To the first party to discover what lies behind the door of room 429 of the Saeder-Krupp offices in Berlin and report their findings to Lofwyr, I leave the Arrow of Red Dragon Slaying."

ahhhh Dunkelzahn, you're such a troll.

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 1, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah, I guess I just don't remember anything like this in the game rules, but then again I last played Shadowrun TT in 2004 when it was still 3rd edition so :v:

But in general I am kinda leery of rules like this enforcing what should be more of an agreement between players and GM about what kind of game they want to play.

It's the same concept behind D&D groups that play good/neutral campaigns and state that "if you turn evil you become an npc" or Star wars where "if you get enough dark side points you become an npc".

Blood magic and it's ilk are things that are 100% not meant for heroes (or anti-heroes, in Shadowrun's case).

That being said, if you're playing a campaign where you're supposed to be giant bastards (evil campaign or darkside campaign or whatever), then it's sometimes fun to experiment with the forbidden systems.

I've played a cyberzombie before for instance. Same group also had a blood mage - who was my handler (read - master) for my work (read - slavery).

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

GhostStalker posted:

I think this game has some bioware, but still counts as cyber costs wise. And I don't think you can go below 1 Essence either. I don't like how this series in general handles cyber with paper doll slots, so I can't double up on say, dermal plating plus bone lacing or something like that, for increased soak and body, or install some of the better pieces of bioware because they go in a slot I already have some chrome in. I mean, I understand why they did it like that, but I still don't like it.

Bioware is not in this game.

That's the sequels you're thinking of

Also at .01 essence you're more or less a robot - still coherent but SERIOUSLY stunted emotionally.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

White Coke posted:

Sounds fun. Although like Gunner J asked: why not just make a robot? Are there intelligent robots in Shadowrun?

Because almost every attempt at A.I. in this series has ended in disaster. As such everybody (U.N., governments, even the freaking corporate court) has banned A.I. research. Hasn't stopped certain corps, but like I said, disaster.

There are drones if you're talking about dumb-dumb robots, but they don't have the same capacity of function as someone with intelligence.

Weed Wolf posted:

Evil party runs, while cool in theory, are frustrating to play with or DM strictly for the reason that they almost always devolve into backstabbing mass murderfests that end up making the players IRL mad at each other

Agreed for the most part. The campaign I mentioned though worked pretty well, because we weren't playing actual shadowrunners. We were Aztech "assets", so we had seriously good reason to work well with each other.

Didn't stop us from dying horribly (and frankly we probably deserved it), but we didn't die due to backstabbing.

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 2, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Fat Samurai posted:

At this point, it seems to me that the "punk" part of cyberpunk is gone. It's difficult to sell out any harder.

Don't get me wrong, the group can do whatever they agree on, but I understand the rules forbidding it.

Wasn't a standard campaign.

We decided to try being with the corps for once and figured "if we're going to be the "bad guys" let's be the worst of the worst (Aztec)". It was the Shadowrun equivalent of a D&D game where everybody decided to be monsters.

It was fun to try it once, but I'd probably not do it again.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I dont know posted:

That's why you got to roll a phys-adept and put your power points towards a high level of Killing Hands. Of course punching up will be disappointing if you don't build your character around it.

I remember fondly how punching could get ludicrously strong in 3rd ed the higher your strength was due to how the damage system worked.

10D troll adept punches of doooooom? Thank you very much.

For comparison, while not quite as good as a panther assault cannon, it's definitely getting to that point.

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 3, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

AmishSpecialForces posted:

I have a question about essence loss. A character in one of the later games Racter, the half-chrome psychopath in SR: Hong Kong found a way around the typical essence loss effects. What's stopping a TT group from announcing 'We're like that guy, we can have all the chrome no problem'? The character in question was pretty interesting but could be a one-of-a-kind deal.

He still had positive essence. He speculated since he wasn't suffering from the standard effects of of low (still positive) essence (loss of emotions, mental disorders, physical and mental trauma) due to his, um, condition, that he might be able to get over the essence limitation someday.

In other words, it's just a theory. A theory that has yet to be proven right in SH, so probably wrong.

You can say your character has that particular condition all you want, doesn't really change your ability to deal with cyberware anymore or less than a standard character, from a gameplay standpoint at least.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 5, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

My main issue with that build is that melee types really need the perma cover chi casting passive to avoid getting crit into oblivion, and if you're going to put points in just for that then you might as well go all the way and use swords. Also the extra movement speed from chi is extremely good and much better than the cyberware option which gives movespeed.

I never tried going high dodge on a melee character though so maybe that works instead to avoid crits. Cyberweapons aren't very karma intensive so there would be some synergy there.

There's enough karma in HK that you should be able to do both.

The funny thing about HK's cyberweapon skill is that it synergizes with everything, even if you don't take the claws. The ability to take a few choice pieces of cyberware and NOT shred your essence is pretty amazing.

Though the correct plan is to completely bork your essence and cyber yourself up to oblivion AND take the adept powers. :getin:

No, seriously. The cooldown downside doesn't affect the sword abilities, and you'll be so freaking overpowered that you can take out nearly every fight before your most important ability (cover ability) runs out, and the fights that aren't over will be mostly in cleanup. Assuming you go swords you only need a few powers to completely break the system.

This doesn't work as well with fists though, since the fist powers are equippable, unlike the sword abilities which are weapon abilities. It'll still be plenty powerful just maybe not OP powerful.

This works well even in Dragonfall/returns. HK just made it better.

Psion posted:

Starts with P. :v:

Oh yeeeesssssss.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 8, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

So much Blitz hate.

Makes me sad.

Regardless, I'm not sure this is the time and place for this discussion, especially if the OP wants to lp the other games.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Falk might be a goddamn cheater, but boy I love that guy.

Best support character in the game.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Blademaster_Aio posted:

And what is the point of not letting family members talk to each other?

I wonder what this 'truth' is? Sounds like mass brainwashing, but whatever.

You should read up on a certain church/religion that begins with an S and ends with a Y.

The U.B. is heavily based off said church.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Keeshhound posted:

It's standard practice for pretty much all cults, not just the obvious one, along with having members give up their earthly possessions. Both are usually given pseudospirutual reasons that may or may not be believed by the cult authorities, and both serve the function of forcing the new recruit to be more reliant on their "new family," both for their social and physical needs, thus reinforcing their dependency on the cult, making it harder for them to leave if they have a crisis of faith.

Oh, I'm aware of that, but that certain church is what made such practices mainstream knowledge.

I think it should be pointed out that I have no problem with that religion, just the church itself. I actually knew a few non-church affiliated practitioners back in college and they were totally cool dudes.

They're considered heretics by the church of course. They're called Freezoners if I recall correctly. Course I'm sure that part of the reason they're considered heretics (besides not signing over their life and possessions) is that they tend to be VERY critical of the church, including the crap we're talking about.

mauman fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 25, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

UnwiseTrout posted:

Freezoners is a pretty badass name to give your heretics.

That's what I (and the people I knew) thought as well.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

SIGSEGV posted:

I thought bug spirits were already known as existing and dangerous if not explicitly known to sometimes be related to the UB?

Bug spirits were only known about by a very few chosen at this point.

This takes place before the Chicago Clusterfuck.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Glazius posted:

Didn't stop me from freaking right the gently caress out I tell you what.'

I actually knew what was going to happen the exact moment I heard "Universal Brotherhood".

Big ol' "oh gently caress me" moment.

I've actually played Shadowrun: Chicago. Fun times :shepicide:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

:science:ABSOLUTE POWER!!!!:science:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Poil posted:

I find it absolutely hilarious that the npc mages in these games are utter morons who doesn't know that there is no such thing as arcane spell failure or anything like that with Shadowrun magic. Put on the heaviest armor you can realistically wear you dumbasses! Hopefully the robes are at least a little bit bulletproof but they drop like civilians. Oh, but you don't need any armor because you can just cast this armor spell and- blablabla my mage will spend that action blasting your buttocks into separate hallways.

Those robes ARE very very armored.

Anyways, the later games tend to reward you more (karma) for following through on your orders (cuz being professional is super important) when it comes to the moral quandary. There are a one or two exceptions though, usually due to a betrayal of some sort by your client.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Keeshhound posted:

Personally, I think it's a mistake, but I guess that's mirrorshades for you.

It's up the GM I suppose.

But most Shadowrun GM's, or at least the ones I've played with(due to being recommended by the books), run the game as that professionalism is key, to the point that goody-two-shoes have their own slang in the universe (and it's not generally a good thing to be called as it affects your rep, which can SERIOUSLY hurt your work opportunities).

Furthermore, Shadowrunners are (by definition) thieves and murderers used for corporate warfare. If you can't stomach that you shouldn't BE one. It's generally considered best to follow your contract (even if you find distasteful), unless;

A: The Johnson/client fucks you - all bets are off

B: Or if the contract involves something mind boggingly EVIL,

A good example of both would be lacing a soda truck aimed at Trolls/Orcs with a killing agent when told it would just spoil it (taken from actual shadowrun story).

Frankly, if I was the GM I would have punished you for choosing the goody-two-shoes route, and I'm personally glad that the game took that into account in the later games.

Mind you, I can think of one situation in the later game that rewards you for following the LETTER of an agreement rather than the SPIRIT, so there's still some leeway.

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 20, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Stroth posted:

The only time I can think of where you can decide "gently caress this job and everyone associated with it" and have everyone agree that it's the right choice is when you're extracting a prototype drone from a corp which turns out to be a cyberzombie

This is actually what I was referring to when I mentioned one contract lets you fulfill the letter of the contract, but not the spirit.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Stroth posted:

Well, I admit I forgot about that since I generally skip that one. But given that everyones advice there is "Never get involved with anything to do with the Lodge under any circumstances" yeah probably.

I always do the Lodge missions*. I do skip on the cyberzombie part but as long as you do 2/3 of the bonus objectives you get that sweet, sweet bonus near the end of the game.

Honestly, trying to find morality in ones' actions when you spend time stealing, kidnapping, and murdering dozens of guys who are just there as security (and getting a paycheck) rings stupidly hollow in these games.

I mean, it's nice to have some standards in Shadowrun, but the bar is EXCEEDINGLY low considering what your job is.

*I did mess the mission up once though just to see what happened.

RabidWeasel posted:

I was sad that there was no "take the dude's money and then turn him over to Aztechnology anyway" option, because being a complete rear end in a top hat is funny :v:

Honestly, I'm kinda shocked this wasn't an option(and disappointed).

Poil posted:

Yes but it doesn't seem like they're wearing anything heavier than armor clothing at the most. Surely the mages know about "geek the mage first" and should invest in some decent protection. A low body stat, poor armor rating and an outfit that screams "Hello I am a mage please kill me quickly before I get off any spells" is not a good long term strategy.

:reject:

Combat armor is still bulky and annoying to deal with and generally doesn't help ones ability to dodge. There's a reason that most runners use armored clothing unless they're going up against something REALLY big (that and stealth).

Those robes are just as well armored as your standard armored duster, but with that sleek corporate look that says :fuckoff:.

mauman fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

painedforever posted:

I think this goes back to the definition of player characters being "murder hobos", going around the gameworld, killing bad guys and taking their stuff.

The thing about Shadowrun is that it is a "grim" setting, so the bad guys you're killing aren't necessarily bad, they're just on the other side (i.e. salarymen for the corporation you're taking down, or a rival shadowrunner gang).

EXACTLY.

A Shadowrunner by definition is not a "good guy". Usually you're villain protagonists. At best you're a very dark anti-hero.

If you have to play the good guy, then Shadowrun isn't the system for you.

Also, I did say that you can keep standards, but the standard is going to be way low considering your day job.

• Locked thread