Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
code:
01100100 01110010 01101111 01101110 01100101 
name the drone this :v:

Good thread, good game. I think DMS suffered a bit for being the first campaign (so they didn't know what worked and what didn't - there's a clear evolution of progress from this to DF to DF:DC etc) and the ancillary kickstarter rewards like the mission builder spread their focus a little wider than just "make the best possible campaign module"

I think they absolutely knocked it out of the park with DF and HK, but DMS is alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

There's a really cool power strategy for mages (until they fixed it - in DF or HK, I forget which) but I'll get to that when we actually see the spell in question.

On another note, it may be of interest to play the Dead Man's Switch campaign in the Dragonfall Director's Cut version of the game - you can do this, and it's much improved over the original version of the engine. Yes it gets a bit confusing that each campaign module also had an updated version of the game engine, but eh. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=343908392

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Iretep posted:

hes the main character from the snes shadowrun game apparently.

yep. the SNES game didn't follow how SR works mechanically at all so the main character was a shaman/decker/samurai by the end of it. The game wasn't really designed for a party where you could share the roles as TT expects, so they didn't. The Genesis one was much closer to following the rules since you had up to a 3? character party and the party system was a lot more robust.

Both of them are worth a try if you're okay with early-90s console games. They're just very different takes on the material.

Cathode Raymond posted:

Jake Armitage from SNES shadowrun? Remember? He talked to a dog spirit and hung out with that fox girl? He shot dragons and lived in a morgue? I might be remembering some of this wrong.

Anyway he's in this as well, along with [a link I removed][/url]

not just updated, by the same composer. The two guys who collaborated on Returns individually composed the SNES and Genesis Shadowrun game soundtracks.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 28, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Sorry, I didn't even click the link to see what it was. Removed it from my quote.

e: hey Cathode post != edit :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

If I had to guess, they did that stat distribution to make Jake powerful compared to you but also keeping it simple for a new player. Low pistols but high Quickness means nothing fancy but he'll land shots all day long.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I think it's fair to say they designed the games such that playing in order is effectively gradually ramping up the difficulty, which also scales pretty well to the player's familiarity with how to play the game. Flip that for a second, though, and assume for a minute you're brand new to SR. DMS does that part right.

maybe I should just go ahead and get a HBS fanboy avatar because I really think they're good at what they do. :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Xander77 posted:

Not sure if that's a really obvious backer portrait or a tribute to Savely Kramarov.

When in doubt, it's an obvious backer portrait.

I don't begrudge their existence, but I did find it kind of frustrating how glaringly different most backer portraits were compared to the art HBS developed inhouse for other characters. Perils of the source material. On the other hand, my favorite portrait in HK was a backer one.

Regardless of which ones you like or not, they're all very easy to swap in and out for each other - just folders full of PNGs. Resize any image and overwrite one and you can use anything as a custom portrait.

Here's the best part about that particular one: It's Robert Bowling, fourzerotwo of Infinity Ward ... uh, fame isn't the right word, but whatever.

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 2, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kanfy posted:

I don't really pay any kind of attention to whether something is a backer portrait or not, to my eyes the majority of them fit into the game totally fine.

ah, well then I won't ruin it for you :v:

as for combat drugs, they're something I totally ignored in Returns but was slamming down like candy in lategame DFDC and HK. Anything which gives +AP is incredibly powerful, I'd say it's hands down the very best possible buff. And when you can stack +AP ...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I believe you have to leave her room and go back and ask Mrs Kubota about it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I think they leaned a little too hard into the Shadowrun slang (both the loan words and the Battlestar Galactica-esque fake swearing) and there's at least one more language thing they tried later (which I'm not gonna spoil, it's lategame) which I also thought was a big miss and that didn't make a return as well. Those combined make me think it's more HBS finding their voice than anything else.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Poil posted:

English is my second language but I have no inclinations whatsoever to randomly add Swedish words for no reason when I speak/type in English. :v:

I think you should start, min vän.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Fish Noise posted:

This is going to be That One Outfit You Eventually Switch Away From But Never Leaves Your Inventory, isn't it?

if not, it should be.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

...what? How?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Two cunningly placed water bottles strikes again, eh?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

GunnerJ posted:

This is crazy. I never noticed anything like this when I played, which was a while ago. Could it be a bug introduced since then by a patch?

save/load is for people who don't just play the whole thing straight through ironman style! clearly why I've never noticed it

:negative:

I've got DF and HK installed (not Returns at the moment) and I can test this later today for one more data point.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

mauman posted:

I never understood (ok I understand, but his flaws are strengths to me) the Blitz hate,

What you're talking about was solved in Director's Cut - if I remember right, prior to that he didn't get those level-up boosts and his stats never grew appropriately. In original DF, he really was that bad. I imagine that's where a lot of the hate comes from.

Now personally, I've played DF and HK multiple times both as a decker and as a not-decker and I much preferred is0 as a teammate decker regardless of stats. It's all about context so I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I don't agree. :shrug:

TheMcD posted:

Is it a general thing that if you're playing on the hardest difficulty, the PC starts out being the weakest of the group and eventually turns into the strongest?

assuming you know how to optimize your karma, yeah, I'd say so. I feel like teammates usually have one or more of better stats, better gear, and special abilities to lean on at the start, but eventually you outgrow that. This lends some credence to one of DF's characters critiques of the PC in a meta way, amusingly.

Shoeless posted:

So what's the deal with Lucky Strike? I tried using her once after I saw her actually existing in the overworld at the bar in the hub area of Dragonfall and her having a minor conversation, but then she never had anything to say after that. I assume she's a high-level backer reward or something?

If you don't piss her off during the first conversation she'll have 2-3 more with you but other than that, she's there as a merc you can hire and a nice tie-in nod to HK in one of those later conversations.

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 16, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah I want to keep talking about DF but maybe that's for another thread because we're still in Returns :v:

Speaking of post-launch stat changes though, didn't Paco see some? It's been a while but I remember him being really bad and/or not even getting the Uzi III initially and being buffed up in a patch to make him a little less useless? I'm not sure, anyone remember that?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

TheMcD posted:

It's always great to see the shopkeepers for the first time. Nothing like looking at some of them and going "yep, never going to talk to you ever again".

Yeah, they did a better job with this in df/hk, but in this one you can safely ignore at least one person per game...forever.

e: I assume the best shopkeeper is in the second half of the update, though Buster always entertained me more than he should've.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

DeathChicken posted:

Man but that song does sound familiar. Maybe an off-version of the dialogue music from the SNES game?

Some of the director's commentary for HK suggests they remixed a dialogue track (the one with Dog, I think) into the safehouse themes in more than one game, but I listened and can't seem to hear it. I think it's got to be a SNES or Genesis Shadowrun inspiration, though.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

And then Kitsune survived and moved to Berlin :colbert:

I have no idea how that story ends, I just ran DF using her as a custom portrait.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Poil posted:

For one character idea I had my mage would be following the metal tradition. As in carrying around an electric guitar and using appropriate spells to go with the rocking theme. I was playing Brütal Legend when I came up with it which may have influenced things. :shobon:

so like when you level up did you get a multi-neck guitar like a decker would upgrade their deck? :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

RabidWeasel posted:

Which out of the two (if any) would you recommend to play first

DF and then HK, for several reasons. But do play both, since punching enemies is better in HK (in my opinion) though it takes longer to get to maximum punching power.

betamax hipster posted:

Cyberpunk as gently caress.

This is fantastic :allears:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The only Nephilim guy I used routinely was the support mage, Falk. He tended to bring the magical end my PC never had, it worked well. Beyond that team selection in this is pretty mediocre, so free runners > *

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Starbridge64 posted:

So far I've been doing well the special deck

I picked that up the last time I ran HK and I was pleasantly surprised. They really did a nice job fleshing out sidegrade options with equipment in HK.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kanfy posted:

This is a bit of a confusing line and I'm not entirely sure who Johnny's referring to. To my knowledge we haven't met anyone we've factually known to having had worked with chop shops outside of Dresden, and we definitely haven't talked to Clean about it at any point. Maybe I'm just missing something obvious.

I assume he meant the guy asking about chop shops back in Pike Place, but it's a pretty awkward line. To the best of my knowledge you only ever talk to Dresden about him, so how does Johnny know? And he's just asking about them, not working at them :shrug:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Anything called Shadowrun Chronicles is made by another developer, that's probably the main difference.

from what I've heard, the Chronicles series is bad.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Well, that's a thing. I know the Anthology doesn't line up exactly 1:1 due to changes in the game as it was developed, but I wonder if Dresden was one of those changes or if it was totally intentional the whole time and the game just didn't communicate it effectively?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Superficially at best, though. Here, one dead super-powerful being fights chaos on his own terms, one requires human sacrifice numbering in the tens of thousands a day to do it. That's a relevant distinction in terms of tone.

so I don't particularly buy it. Hope is a concept that more or less doesn't exist in 40k, whereas it's a fundamental part of SR, I think.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

"And you learned this blood magic where, exactly, Blood Mage Original Character Donut Steel?"

"...so the rest of the team really isn't okay with every run going loud and every corp in the nearest thousand miles hunting us down to the fullest extent possible due to your magic, bye ok"

Somebody more familiar with the current ruleset let me know if I'm wrong but from what I know blood magic exists in universe and has rules for it, so if a GM chooses to allow a player to use it they can - but there's also strong reasons (thematically, pragmatically, etc) why it'd be a horribly bad choice for any runner except under truly unusual circumstances. That's fine. The GM has control, as they should. The setting informs that control, as it should.

remember this isn't 40k. horrific mass human sacrifice isn't par for the course for the players.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Poil posted:

Well it's extremely illegal in practically the whole world and carries an absolutely massive stigma with it.

Right, which means that first question - where did you learn it - is going to sink 99.9999% of potential blood mage runner ideas. Which is fine.

I don't consider it inherently bad that things exist in a setting which are effectively off-limits to the players. After all, you're not a megacorp, you're fighting against them. The entire point is that they have toys you don't, but you have grit and dice and statrolls they don't. :v:

GunnerJ posted:

Being implausible or impractical isn't really the same thing as "the GM takes your character sheet away."

Please note the use of the word can in that post. And also the rest of the posts expanding on why blood magic shouldn't show on your character sheet in the first place, regardless of whether or not a GM does things to a player. It was also an unsourced claim so for all I know they misinterpreted the rulebook. But what's not being misinterpreted is that blood magic is Very Much A Bad Thing.

like, I don't know, you seem really hung up making sure players can just go out and commit magical atrocities, which really doesn't fit what SR is about and is also weird.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 1, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

GunnerJ posted:

I'm not really hung up on anything other than this particular interpretation of the rules in principle

Fair enough. Like anything TT, a good GM can make it work so I figure if a rule is dumb, a GM can just say "nahhhhh"

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Xander77 posted:

Yeah. At the very least, you should have the option of skipping animations to drastically reduce the time you spend starting at the screen.

I can't remember which game did it but there's some SR which added fast animations for things like casting, which helped a lot. Returns-style slow animations with a huge fight sounds more than painful.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

e: the excruciating ecstasy of waiting for the next update, am I right

I think the quick answer to 'most OP' is a mage, just like every game ever :v:

It's probably less true in Returns than DF and HK, because leylines aren't plentiful in Returns. In the other two, magic is better, spell selection is better, and leylines are more plentiful. Rifle/shotgun decker or rigger are probably the strongest in Returns.

There are some really fun and effective builds that might not be the ultimate hyper minmaxed, though, like melee (qi with a sword or chrome wolverine with cyberweapons in HK) or pistol street sam (how would you like to fire every bullet you have and then reload for 0 AP and do it again?) and if you build for it, "I carry around what are usually vehicle-mounted weapons for fun" characters. That's ... really satisfying if you get it in HK and then do the epilogue, for one reason. Starts with P. :v:

The games are pretty good about letting you get away with almost any build, which is nice. Try anything you think might be fun and chances are it will be.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 7, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah, role coverage is very good in DF and excellent in HK. You can pick just about any role for the PC and be fine.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

sebmojo posted:

glory in DF is supposedly weak as a melee character but I found her very solid once she got powered up a little.

It's like everyone forgot you have this guy, right there, with Aim and Haste....

glory owns. She only needs to hit once to pop enemies out of cover and then it's :rip: that enemy from the entire rest of your team.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The source is also quite biased, so it's up for debate either way.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Huh. Shows how much I paid attention to that loading screen.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The way I always interpreted it, before all this loading screen stuff, was that Sam's mother died - he didn't do anything to cause that (directly, at least) and she was an organ donor for him, and he sold the other organs for money. This seems in character. But it was more of "taking advantage of a sudden change," not "deliberately manipulating the situation to happen."

but Jessica, who already blamed him for, well, a lot - saw those events and decided his actions throughout his entire life made him guilty regardless - that's the interpretation I take here. And then she kinda went and hired a serial killer. Remember she's been mad about him for years, decades even. That's a lot of resentment and she's not inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, as her dialogue here and back at the Union showed.

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 14, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Fat Samurai posted:

Ugh, I understand it's difficult to create outfits that are visually distinctive and appropriate to the setting, but most of the stuff that isn't outright "Matrix" is pretty bad.

Yeah, the Returns outfits are ... yeah. They got better at it in future titles, at least.

CommissarMega posted:

Isn't there one that's a business suit or something? I love that one, gives only 4 armour IIRC though.

That's in Hong Kong. I don't know if it's in Dragonfall.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kanfy posted:

What do you think thread, is absolute power worth so high a price?

Well if it's absolute power, yes.

• Locked thread