Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

FBS posted:

Ok help me out here folks, twice I've lusted after some sweet naked rides only to be let down after a demo.

I currently ride a sweet '07 GSA with an Akropovic can and TRX suspension front and rear. Just love it to bits, but want to add a little zing to the stable as a second bike (gently used, I never buy new).

This past summer I rode:
Kawasaki ZRX1200
Ducati Monster S4RS

Both of these bikes I researched and read up extensively - I was so pumped to ride these classics. Cash in hand off I went to some prime specimens. After 5 mins on each, I turned around and brought it back to the owner. Why? Riding position for one. I don't have endless curves around me, closest thing to that are the on-off ramps to the freeway. Needlesstosay that comfort is rather critical. Not sofa comfort, but my wrists need to maintain feeling and not go numb after 15 mins.

In both cases, that 17" front wheel seemed downright scary at first. It was like the bikes read my mind when I wanted to initiate a turn, which was really weird. Just not used to how responsive that geometry is.

I was downright depressed after riding the Ducati. What a gorgeous machine.

The questionable opinions aside, why is this written so goddamn horny? Like I get these people all lament the passing of a time when their dicks still worked, but why does every single post read like they're absolutely desperate to gently caress a motorcycle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They have never experienced actual sexual satisfaction because they begin every interaction with women from the starting point of staggering mysoginy, ignorance and dysfunction so they literally don't know what good sex is like. In this way, even riding a poo poo bike badly can be perceived as 'better than sex'. The unwitting horniness is just an unconscious expression of this; the particular size/expense/other qualities of the bike is just an inadequacy gauge. This feeds into the larger truth that people with zero self awareness are almost never any good at riding bikes because tangible improvement demands taking a long hard look at what you're doing and changing it on purpose. If a dude can't figure out how to turn in smoothly on a bike with a 17" front wheel he's got no fucken idea about foreplay.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

. . .

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, unfortunately that’s too long to be a thread title

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Where there’s a will there’s a way

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

HOoo boy

My First Fly and Ride

OP posted:

Finally got my endorsement!
Looking for a first bike, and an adventure! :smile6
What do you think?
Cincinnati to Atlanta?
Cincinnati to Detroit?
Cincinnati to Colorado?
Who else has done something like this?

OP posted:

I took the Ohio MSF course, and after about 14 hours on a Van Van I feel pretty confident. That, And my ten years safe driving practices make me feel like finding an adventure bike inside of an adventure isnt as crazy as I'm being led to believe.

OP posted:

So, luckily in Ohio we can print off a temp tag online. I find it odd that other states dont have some kind of temporary permit.
Insurance is a great idea too hooo.

OP posted:

So, there are some yaysayers and some naysayers. Many on both sides have made some great points.
There seem to be a few questions you've got to ask, and answer honestly before you can decide if this is right for you.
What is your experience?
Can you safely ride for many hours?
Through unfamiliar territory?
On an unfamiliar motorcyle?
What if it starts raining?
How prepared are you?
Are you ATGATT?
Do you have emergency tools and know how to use them?
Emergency funds?
Insurance?
Registration?

One big point a lot of the previous posters have hit on is roadworthiness. Aka Can this new mystery bike get you across the country reliably?

Do you know how to spot a reliable bike?
If not, start with the videos I posted below.

Even if it runs like a charm, will this bike be able to handle hours of highway time?
If not, is an alternative route feasable?
After taking a 20 hr Motorcycle Safety Course, AND watching close to 30 hours of motorcycle youtube videos on safety and preparedness (FortNine, Yammynoob, DanDanthefireman etc)
After all that preparation I am just starting to feel truly comfortable with this idea.

There are a lot of people saying no way it's a terrible idea. And it would be, if you've never been on a motorcycle, havent done your research, and aren't prepared.
YOU MUST KNOW HOW TO RIDE SAFELY
YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A GOOD MOTORCYCLE
YOU REALLY OUGHT TO HAVE ALL YOUR PAPERWORK AND INSURANCE

Here are some videos I found useful. Do your own research too please.
(OP posted FortNine, Revzilla, Scotty Kilmer videos on how to buy a used bike)

Thankfully most people are either telling him it's not a good idea or at least providing some useful information, but then there are some telling him he should be looking for a 650cc etc.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 14, 2022

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

quote:

After taking a 20 hr Motorcycle Safety Course, AND watching close to 30 hours of motorcycle youtube videos on safety and preparedness (FortNine, Yammynoob, DanDanthefireman etc)
lol

Gotta log the requisite hours staring at YouTube superstars the likes of... Porsche hood ornament cosplayer Yammynoob before you can get certified for cross country rides, sorry, I don't make the rules!

quote:

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsos.211977
Trivially informative semantic context inflates people's confidence they can perform a highly complex skill

We asked some people (but not others) to watch a trivially informative video of a pilot landing a plane before they rated their confidence in their own ability to land a plane. We found watching the video inflated people's confidence that they could land a plane.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

RightClickSaveAs posted:

lol

Gotta log the requisite hours staring at YouTube superstars the likes of... Porsche hood ornament cosplayer Yammynoob before you can get certified for cross country rides, sorry, I don't make the rules!

Oh that article is perfect, hell yes. I'm gonna post it in that thread.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

but then there are some telling him he should be looking for a 650cc etc.

This is a direct consequence of the aforementioned Yammynoob, plus others.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RightClickSaveAs posted:

lol

Thank you so much for this link holy cow

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

HOoo boy

My First Fly and Ride
Just point him at the goon thread of the dude who did the MSF and ran away from home for a year to motocamp North America lol

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
I’d love to see that thread. You wouldn’t happen to have a link handy would you?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I can't tell if it's good or bad for me to read this because I'm caught between "oh nooo" and "at least I'm not this overconfident," which makes me worry I'm going to be overconfident because at least I'm not this guy.

Which, to be fair, is how I feel any time I open reddit or get bored and click on a DanDantheFireman video.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Chris Knight posted:

Just point him at the goon thread of the dude who did the MSF and ran away from home for a year to motocamp North America lol

You mean the guy we don't talk about? Or was there someone else who did that?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

You mean the guy we don't talk about? Or was there someone else who did that?
Yep that guy.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

He did a thread on advrider at the same time and got run out there too, just with less drama than here.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

HOoo boy

My First Fly and Ride

Thankfully most people are either telling him it's not a good idea or at least providing some useful information, but then there are some telling him he should be looking for a 650cc etc.

Not sure if it's against the rules for the thread, but if not, post the ADVRider link. I live in Cincy, would like to offer to meet this guy, buy him a beer, and hopefully convince him to not fly and ride a bike he has no business being on and either scare himself off of motorcycles or worse yet unalive himself. Probably a futile effort, but I'll give it a shot

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

I can ride a bike plenty good. but then spending an entire day or multiple days in a row in a bike is an entirely different thing.

and oh boy if you happen to try it with gloves or any other kind of gear thats even the slightest bit uncomfortable. what’s tolerable for 20-30 minutes will make you wanna die after eight hours in the saddle

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jazzzzz posted:

Not sure if it's against the rules for the thread, but if not, post the ADVRider link. I live in Cincy, would like to offer to meet this guy, buy him a beer, and hopefully convince him to not fly and ride a bike he has no business being on and either scare himself off of motorcycles or worse yet unalive himself. Probably a futile effort, but I'll give it a shot

Just check the Perfect Line subforum, it’s near the top of the feed.
Here it is, that was easier to get off Tapatalk than I thought.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 15, 2022

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wow there are a lot of new posts in the advrider threa

HOoo boy flynride

:unsmigghh:

With all the riding I've done on and off road over the years, including 800 mile days on a 250, I STILL won't fly n ride. When I think of riding my first bike home, how it ended up being a 3 hour shitshow instead of an easy 40 min, dropping the bike twice, this is hilarious. Coredump was all "nah man I'll ride it to your home its no worries" and I thought nah I got this.

This dude is proper hosed if they go through with a flynride. Quadruple so if they buy anything other than a ninjette to ride back.

Jazzzzz posted:

You convinced me to rent a van and stay the night to rest up when I got the 690. That was the right choice and I don't regret taking your advice.

edit: Dude just said they want a KLR to get some off road experience :lol: :yeshaha:

Coydog fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 15, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah I left the part about the KLR out. I think he posted a picture of a Gen 2 even.

I just hope he doesn’t get hurt. Seems like a nice enough guy, just a wheelbarrow load of hubris.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Just check the Perfect Line subforum, it’s near the top of the feed.

I posted in the thread with an offer to meet up, we'll see what happens. Not gonna lie, that thread and his other posts aren't giving the best vibes

yummycheese posted:

I can ride a bike plenty good. but then spending an entire day or multiple days in a row in a bike is an entirely different thing.

and oh boy if you happen to try it with gloves or any other kind of gear thats even the slightest bit uncomfortable. what’s tolerable for 20-30 minutes will make you wanna die after eight hours in the saddle

I've done a couple of long-ish distance fly and rides that crammed 8+ hours of slab into a single day, including one where I got stuck in a rain storm for a couple of hours with gear that turned out to not be waterproof. You're spot on - unless you're used to rides like that and are prepared mentally and gear-wise, it is absolutely miserable, and even if you are you're still going to be stiff and sore when you get to your destination and likely won't want a drat thing to do with the bike for a few days.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

I posted in the thread with an offer to meet up, we'll see what happens. Not gonna lie, that thread and his other posts aren't giving the best vibes

I've done a couple of long-ish distance fly and rides that crammed 8+ hours of slab into a single day, including one where I got stuck in a rain storm for a couple of hours with gear that turned out to not be waterproof. You're spot on - unless you're used to rides like that and are prepared mentally and gear-wise, it is absolutely miserable, and even if you are you're still going to be stiff and sore when you get to your destination and likely won't want a drat thing to do with the bike for a few days.

agreed. I did one, the ktm, actually bought it from an inmate on advrider. it was like my 9th bike, not my first. It was fun, but definitely shitshow adjacent with a 13 year old Austrian bike and questionable service history.

You really need to go in prepared. Prepared for the absolute worst. Not just bullshit with whatever new to you unproven bike, but also whatever gear your have, the given weather over the expanse of unknown you plan to ride, and plan the equipment to carry on board your bike, for whenever the unexpected happened. Then fitness. Nobody accustomed to three plus wheel life is gonna be used to riding 8+hr days on two wheels. No new person is going to have enough background experience to have their poo poo together for this sort of thing.

This guy fresh outta msf class suggesting a many thousand mile trip to the rockies? hahahahahaaa.
Lmao on page two of watching youtubes thinking they're ready for semester finals.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I keep thinking of the goon a couple months ago who went to look at that FJR and it looked great in the ad, owner sounded encouraging, and showed up to find long neglected brakes and some other big safety thing. Was that Remy Marathe?

And yeah the fitness aspect of a fly n ride of more than a day's riding. This dude has no idea what your rear end and hips feel like after even 4 or 5 hours in the saddle if you're not used to it. On an unfamiliar bike. Plus the mental drain.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

And yeah the fitness aspect of a fly n ride of more than a day's riding. This dude has no idea what your rear end and hips feel like after even 4 or 5 hours in the saddle if you're not used to it. On an unfamiliar bike. Plus the mental drain.

This. The first time I attempted a multi day ride was on a bike I’d owned at least 12 months, had hundreds of miles on it. I got about three hours in and had to stop in a grocery store parking lot, lie down in the grass, cry, then nap. My body hurt but it was mostly the thought of all the miles I still had to ride.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

I keep thinking of the goon a couple months ago who went to look at that FJR and it looked great in the ad, owner sounded encouraging, and showed up to find long neglected brakes and some other big safety thing. Was that Remy Marathe?

Was that the same goon that drove/rode all day in the pouring rain and then, upon finding the bike was junk, chucked the keys for it into a nearby river? In front of the seller no less :lol:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

Was that the same goon that drove/rode all day in the pouring rain and then, upon finding the bike was junk, chucked the keys for it into a nearby river? In front of the seller no less :lol:

Wait hold up what?? I need to see this.

No, this was relatively uneventful as far as I remember. Just "well I went to see the bike that looked great in the ad, but the brakes and maybe steering were poo poo and I want to ride, not wrench, so I passed."

Yeah, here

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 15, 2022

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I do 8-10 hour a day activly touring on my bikes all the time. But never straight superslab. Its on familiar bikes on windy roads that I've planned ahead with a good break regime (always a break maximum at around 1h15m) + the long lunch, a proper 45mish stop to eat properly and relax. The every 1h15m ish stop can also be combined with stopping at the World Biggest Rocking chair or similar.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Facebook motorcycle boomers are the worst.

Picture: some 1920s people about some motorcycle cops.
Reactions: tremendous emphasis on women/pretty/haha uncomfortable. I had to scroll 3 comments down before the first normal comment appeared.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Wife's recommendation

OP posted:

You worked hard and long for your money, go and spend before you can't.
Good advice from a good woman, so i went and got myself a new GSA.
White with some Motosport red and blue dashes.
Not that i needed a new bike, 35k miles on the old.
But it makes for a happy home if one does as one is told

quote:

And now what will she be purchasing as an offset to your purchase?

quote:

Diamonds are wimmins best friends so that's my guess... :D

And, mebbe a new topless clunker as suitable...

quote:

Does she have a sister?

quote:

So much easier with a wife with Alzheimer's...she doesn't remember what you did 2 minutes ago anyway. As you can tell, I'm pretty desperately looking for ways to stay positive.

quote:

Yep! I can buy whatever I want and do anything I want...except leave the house for more than an hour, maybe two.

quote:

One of the benefits to being single is I don't need anyone's blessing to buy any toys, see what I want and if I can afford it I buy it.

quote:

Isn’t that wonderful!

My wife of 38 years still find ways to show off her brilliance, too.

OP posted:

Well of course she's a keeper, I keep her and she keeps me, life is good .
No diamonds, but she did get a manure vacuum cleaner.
And no pics the bike is still at the dealer, time permitting I'll pick it up on Friday.
Too much work.

quote:

Good for you. Got yourself a good one! I buy first and answer questions later! :lol3

quote:

I mention it casually like " I'm going to buy another bike. I am looking"

My wife rolls her eyes and shakes her head. I never mention it again.

Some weeks later I just bring the bike home. Shock and surprise ensures. And then I say " I mentioned this to you last month."

And wait for things to slowly normalize.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
normal and healthy

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Yep that was me, and my next test ride was 2.5 hours to ride a ZRX that died on me like 2 miles into the test ride due to carb & electrical issues that I limped back to the dealership while the owner followed me in his car, stalling at every light. Tying back to the rex post last page, despite being a standard position the pegs were more aggressive than I was used to, so none of the above tell me flying to a mystery bike and riding it home is a good idea unless you've got lots of time and contingency plans ready to go.

I still wouldn't trust myself not to try it if my brain gets taken over again, bike fever is real.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 29, 2022

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Wife's recommendation

*borat voice* MY BIKE

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is NUMBER THREE adventure bike in ALL of internet

*gestures to klr650*

MY BIIKE

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
The most generous thing I’ve heard said about the KLR on these forums.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'm assuming "topless clunker" means a convertible car, but what's a "manure vacuum cleaner"? I bet these guys complain about zoomer jargon a lot too

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I was assuming that it is literally a vacuum cleaner for manure in your horse barn or whatever

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Wife's recommendation

ooh, updates

quote:

quote:

I am married to a Red Head, even if it's her idea, I am still wrong.
Been there...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*shouts so loud that windows blow out of buildings miles away, and water ripples in cups clear across the country, like that scene from Jurassic park*: WOMEN, RIGHT GUYS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jeff golblum laying in the top box of your goldwing, shouting at you to go faster as a pack of aerostitch zombies rev up their klr's behind you and the sound of bellowing misogyny intensifies