Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I'm actually fairly close to asking a mod to delete it because nobody responded to my whiskeyposting and now I'm embarassed.

Hey now don't bring mods to this corner of SA. Own your shame.

Actually, I enjoyed your post, even if it was just one good OP. The problem with populating this thread is that it would require diving into ADVrider for posts, which would just be boring. Seriously, it's one of the driest forums to read. They have great info, though.

My main complaint is that all of ADVrider is too overweight for any of their used gear market to be useful to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

25% of advrider posted:

You must be a young pup, yes? Back in my day, 60's-80's, Yamahas were yellow.

I've seen this exact post, barely any words changed, 4-6 times in just the last day of browsing. Ugh. What possesses people to relish playing the "old" card, and why do they think it's not alienating and weird to do so. You can just say "I enjoyed the blah blah era of motorcycle, where they had x colors" and leave it at that.

Between that and gross discussions of frequent piss stops, I don't even know what to do with them.

ADVrider is loaded with info, and well informed people that are happy to go into detail on your problem, though. They sorted me out on my DR650 popping in minutes, even if there isn't a fix for it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I had no idea about the craigslist part. Good tip. Their classifieds section really is ridiculously good. I got a jacket from another user that ended up not fitting so I reposted it. Sold within the hour and had it shipped that afternoon.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's also a great place to buy gear if you are fat and short. And a great place to buy bike parts for next to nothing.

It keeps getting better the more I read. I've seen all of these. Needs a box for weird unsolicited conversations about bodily functions, particularly related to age.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
And god forbid they use an up to date photo hosting service, or consider that things uploaded online aren't "forever".

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

THEY ARE HOLDING HOSTAGE PICTURES I TOOK AND EDITED MYSELF. I HAD NO WARNING THEY WOULD NOT BE THERE FOREVER

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

It's a common enough problem that there's a Chrome extension to fix it, incidentally:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg?hl=en

:aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :cheerdoge:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I got halfway through that first page before I ragequit the thread. That forums is a real cesspool of insufferable weirdos that overthink everything and still get it all wrong.

Back when I had an MS3, I got to deal with all the idiots who insisted, in much the same way, that all abs and traction control on the car was bad. That their superior skillz were all they needed. Usually before understeering into a curb.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, but at least I don't have to stop so often to *graphic bodily function here*! *wall of smileys here*

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

:getout:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Chris Knight posted:

Sorry for the tiny penis, I guess?

He makes up for size with speed of readiness, apparently.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Salt the earth.

Seriously , it's not even that they like things simple and bare bones. It's that they are afraid of any technology after they came of age, and too ignorant to learn.

That and the rampant blatant misogyny.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wow that was so much worse than I expected. Why does he have to type like that?!

Efb but yiu forgot "CEE-YOU-ENN-TEE"

Im heartened that most if the thread is dogpiling him like the trash he is.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Advrider more like Dadvrider

:yosnice:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
What a cesspool.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh cool now I'm angry at the internet. Thanks.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I dunno guys. Is this a bad idea? Who among us could assess it's worth as an idea.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I had totally forgotten how horrifying any subject related to women is on advrider. Just a bunch of washed up thirsty boomers pontificating about what THEY would do if they met that woman next to the scooter.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Of course my bike has soul. My bike has soul because I hastily transmuted my brother to it before he was lost to the void during a botched attempt to bring my mom back from the dead. You monsters.

Speaking of monsters, advrider boomers are thirsty creeps. Notice nobody attributes masculine terms to their motorcycles. Nah it's always a girl they want to shag.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
This is reasonably acceptable. Beasts of burden have a long history of being owned and used, and culturally there is a lot of "man and his horse" dynamic.

Advrider peeps fancy themselves owning, using, and controlling a woman (or more likely girl), and that's beyond weird when they start expounding on it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
*bike won't start after being left to rot all winter*

"Bitches, amirite?" :grin:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Its advrider. The mods would literally ban you if you brought up such a point. They are very strict about anyone who sows dissent or calls anyone else.

I bet the mods are in that thread posting the same stuff.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yes yes millennials don't ride motorcycles. This is a commonly understood fact that can be easily seen in the various minibike, supermoto, sport bike communities.

The fact that Harley is outdated overpriced garbage that the used market is flooded with, or it's "culture" that posts things like this, has nothing to do with scaring them off.

And by them I mean anyone below the age of 37. You know. Kids.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You gotta have that certificate of authenticity or people will think you bought one of the Japanese cruisers that is better in every single way and LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT PEARL HARBOR

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The Vespa. Notorious for being unromantic for dates.

I think he should be more concerned about how they react to his losing 1.2 million on Bitcoin.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
As with most ADV rider things, those posts are a marvel in how contradictory and offensive they are.

The whole discussion reminds me of my parents broaching the discussion on why you never see black people hiking or doing outdoor activities.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The only oppression they know is that one time that Photobucket stopped free access and they lost all their photos. Photos that they had solely stored on a free image host service expecting forever uptime.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The presidential dream...

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I was incredulous that such a subforum existed, but you are correct.

It's hidden in the "Jo Momma" section.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Why did you make me read all of that ugh

Garage:
On: 1989 hawk gt NT650

Gone: sv650, klr250, ex250, wr250x, ducati monster 620ie, KTM ( orange crush ;P) 690smc, dr650 " bush pig", Honda Grom

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
They aren't wrong. We need to be looking to mass transit and self powered vehicles, not luxury electric cars and bikes.

Or at the very least ebicycles.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I don't think adv riders are the target audience for electric motorcycles. Even fortnine gave them a negative review.

Now, if there was like an electric Suzuki burgman with extra batteries for extra range, they would probably catch their eye.

I mean I'd be a day one purchase for that...

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
In oceans 11 there was a device that fit in a van that sent EMP over a wide area. I don't think it's abnormal to worry about this sort of thing.

I'd be more worried that an early 80s Honda would run at all, EMP or not.

Can anyone confirm my hawk gt would survive an oceans-class event?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If it's not turned on at the time - almost certainly yes. If it *is* turned on, then probably still yes, because of the short, convoluted wiring runs meaning the pulse won't be able to induce much current. More modern bikes *may* have a problem from the magnetic effects causing corruption in the flash memory on the ECU but that needs "multiple lightning strikes directly on the bike" levels of power required, at which point you probably have other problems to worry about.

I didn't expect a serious answer to this. Thanks for taking the time! That's really cool to know. :D

Greg12 posted:

My most-hated ADV rider thread is the 600-page argument about whether they have the right to kill bicyclists on the road or whether they have the duty to kill bicyclists on the road.
https://advrider.com/f/threads/bicycles-on-the-road.733233/
It has hundreds of posts of people who are pretending to not know how to drive. "What am I supposed to do when I come upon a bicyclist!? Slow to 4mph until there's a turn-out or legal passing lane? I have no choice but to run them off the road into a ditch!"

So weird that advrider would argue about this given they are a 2 wheel community. Firstly, motorcyclists arent impacted at all by bicycles because you can share the lane with them with plenty of room. Secondly, I'm sure we have all experienced an SUV driver try to swerve us off the road or otherwise kill us for *reasons*, so why want to do that to others.

When I'm in a car it's annoying to get slowed up by a bicycle, but ugh whatever. Share the road and all that. Everyone should mountain bike anyways.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You are doing the lords work.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Before I rode and knew what that was, and was into boy racer cars, I had a motorcyclist do that to me. I slowed down because I didn't know what the motion meant, and sure enough I avoided a speed trap on the next rise. I've always done it since, and I hope it helped someone.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Yerok posted:

The most thorough discussion of pre 2014 LC4 tuning with TuneECU is on advrider. I have sent myself to hell.

The Code Orange build thread with tuning and SAS delete instructions was a godsend when I had the 690. As were the companion TuneECU threads. Go forth in peace.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The "midlife crisis" thing is so weird and bad. And to use it as a personal excuse for something is just the most lame thing ever. "I bought this sports car because I finally have enough money and free time to get the things I've always wanted" is fine and good and great. It's a shame a life needs to be wasted in the 9-5 to get a paltry boat/car/motorcycle, but whatever. Don't ridicule someone for getting what they want and earned.

But to say "waaah you know I was dumb and had an idea that I wanted to be and do cool things, but that was dumb and I want to go back to being boring until I die" is just so wrong. At the very least, just say you bought the thing because you wanted the cool thing, but found that the hobby wasn't for you. That's okay. Motorcycles are dangerous and it's ok to set personal limits.

If you are actually having a "crisis" because you fear a loss of life enjoyment, or fear impending death, or feel a loss of control, that's totally real and you should talk to a doctor/therapist. Don't brush it away.

Screaming at clouds here, I know.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Why do they all TYPE like that with big BLOCKS of barely intelligible gibberish and use words like "trounce" (you know the word like bounce but tr like trounce). Just a question!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Can someone explain to me what they mean by "You talkin' like you hangin' in a closet! " ?

Slavvy posted:

Boomer lead poisoning.

I mean, this has to be a thing right? Like a proven thing with studies?

Communist Walrus posted:

Gather round KIDS let me tell you about how I ESCALATED a MINOR and PROBABLY UNINTENTIONAL slight and..................turned my joyride into AGGRAVATED STALKING!!

The crazy thing is; I've done way worse to groups of harley riders than those riders did to him. It's a lovely thing to do to a rider to pass them like that, because you don't want to spook the horses.

But I (and a friend) have leapfrogged up a group of 50 slow harleys on mountain roads. Just jumping up 10 riders at a time when there is a gap and lane sharing until the next gap. gently caress em.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 5, 2020