Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

its all nice on rice posted:

I dunno, piroshkis are pretty awesome.

Those are Ukrainian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

High Protein posted:

Also, Random Capitalization which Seems to be an Old Man Thing.

It's also "very" common to see these old farts using quotation marks for emphasis on particularly "important" words!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's a common enough problem that there's a Chrome extension to fix it, incidentally:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg?hl=en

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hack-a-day had an article about a guy who added a gear indicator to his v-strom by tapping into the OBD, neat stuff

of course the comment section:

:clint: posted:

Things on bikes like neutral lights and gear indicators are fluff for non bikers. Once you have ridden around the block a couple of times you get pretty good at figuring that out on your own. Really no need for another geegaw. Than again I like my bikes really bare metal and simple. The less electronics the better.

:bahgawd: posted:

I’ll also join this gang of cranky old men yelling at the whippersnappers to get off our lawn. Half the reason I commute on a motorbike is because I don’t need to disassemble the entire front end to change a bulb, or be ruled over by the haughty decree of an on-board computer, or read out cryptic sensor codes through the ODN or OBGYN or whatever the gently caress it’s called. It’s a bare frame with a fully exposed, dead-simple little motor which I can drop with a scissor jack and rebuild myself in a weekend. It’s got four or five gears, and neutral is in-between the first two so it’s really not hard to count. It becomes second nature. I detest even having a battery, what’s wrong with a kick-start and a magneto?

:awesomelon: posted:

For those with the skill to listen to motor sounds, I am tone deaf to music but have a personal connection to any machine I have spent a few hours with, it becomes a basic part of knowing the machine is OK and when to follow the emergency protocol tree.
From motorcycles, to hot-rodded 4x4s, to piston and jet airplanes/helicopters I get to know what sounds I should hear(even with a headset and CEPs in) when I do something. I of course am scanning the tach, oil pressure/temp and maybe exhaust temp gauges but my first indication is usually a weird sound or vibration.
That said especially during the getting to know you stage I want access to every bit of sensor data that can be displayed to correlate with an expected sound and is why I prefer old steam gauge airplanes and helicopters to say a modern rental car where I have to jack in an OBD to get anything beyond speed, tach, fuel fill, and check engine light, and a tach only when I can sift out a stick shift transmission.

:goonsay: posted:

It’s nice to see hacks like this on hackaday, rather than “these scientists came up with this new thing, which is out of the reach of a normal hacker”. Or “this woman scientist was important for this reason”.
I’d like to keep the articles closer to a normal person.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Steve McQueen rode triumphs and he got laid more than everyone on this board combined ever will

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i wanna see a video of this guy apparently losing control from the reckless, dangerous move of taking one hand off the bars for a few seconds

e: also what the gently caress kind of advrider is he anyway if he doesn't even have a fuel gauge. jeez

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

now look, you've got me making involuntary disgusted noises and i can't stop

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

My bike is just a giant steel and alloy penis hand crafted with my own two hands (mostly the right), lovingly lubed and stroked far more often than those squares at Suzuki think is appropriate.

My bike is like a horse or a big dog I guess because sometimes when I've been riding hard through a crazy storm or freezing fog, or if traffic is crazy and I've just dodged away from getting creamed by some moron, I will pet the gas tank and say "good bike, you're a good one" or similar words of appreciation

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gross

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm fairly sure that when you buy a new Harley you get an actual little certificate of validation that says "this is an official hog made by the Harley Davidson motor company" lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

today i followed a guy on a harley wearing a t-shirt that said

IF YOU DON'T LIKE
THIS FLAG

I'LL HELP YOU PACK

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't think these people actually turn their motorcycles. just straight out the garage down the road to the bar, then use the electric reverse all the way home.

ooo, i got an idea. is this thread behind the paywall? how would the advrider crowd react to read it? what are we, in their minds?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FBS posted:

In 30 years the neo-cyber-hipsters will be telling each other how much better 180 crank twins are than those plebian 270s that every classic bike has

I like my 180-degree crank CL350

it sounds like a go-kart powered by a sewing machine

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Imagine having 1.2 million dollars and being like “this bitcoin thing looks legit”

i suspect he never had 1.2 million dollars in liquid assets. he probably had 1.2 million in bitcoins in the first place, which can be converted to cash at a max rate of maybe $10,000 per day, and then he lost it all to a Bitcoin Wallet Inspector

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you either mootmoot young or see yourself become the advrider

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Both my parents died in their 50s so I decided life is too short to wait until you're middle-aged to do all the fun poo poo you dream about. Just do it now and enjoy it and deal with the future when it happens. You'll never be as young as you are today, and the longer you wait the greater the chance that you'll be bitter or decrepit or dead when you finally get around to living your life.

I may not own a house or have as big a 401k as some of my friends, but I'm the only one who can ride a motorcycle down to the airport on sunday morning and hop in a plane and fly myself to Petaluma for breakfast.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

How do you pronounce pannier?

that guy in the middle drives me especially insane because "douche" is pronounced exactly the same way in english and french

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I do generally try to apply the “is this adding to the conversation, or is it at least funny” litmus test.

Yeah, believe it or not, my posts passed that test, at least to me

haha lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'd bet a hundred bucks that whichever boomer made that meme hasn't actually owned a motorcycle that's older than AGM batteries.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You just need a Rotella emoticon

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

klrs only come in one color anyway (dirt)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1228031674413268997?lang=en

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fortunately the engine is probably still okay since he has less than 3000 miles on the clock

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oceanlife posted:

You all say that until you have to choose between dropping a gear or getting that insurance bill increase. Then you'd all wish you decal'ed your busa's with the thin blue line

grow up

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

naming motorcycles after women in general is just gross.

i sometimes think of my bikes as if they're horses or dogs or other loyal animals. for instance i will pat the gas tank after successfully dodging out of the way of a car doing something stupid, or say "good bike" as it's ticking and cooling after riding home safely in blinding rain. so i guess if i had to name my motorcycles, they would be animal names like "muffin" or "general sherman" or "rex."

but it's a not a goddamned human woman

(custom title aside)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

His argument is that living with non-whites makes you racist?

I feel like there is a lot of evidence to the contrary, but ok go off

I got into a huge argument with a racist at a wedding once and one of his big GOTCHA points was that the only reason white liberals (he was a white conservative) aren't racist against black people is because they don't live near black people and "don't know what they're really like." :whitewater:

"Have you ever lived in a majority black neighborhood?"
"No, I haven't."
"Okay so then you don't know their culture. You can't talk about how black people are cause you don't know. I've grown up around them and I know what they're like. And it's a culture that glorifies violence and breaking the law, and--"

It was a really astonishing thing to experience. I argued against his points pretty well, I thought, but he was so perfectly prepared. It was like debating the bible with one of those westboro baptist church nutjobs. Just bam bam bam instant practiced responses straight out of an Aryan Nation pamphlet. "Oh black people are poor because of structural racism? Well why aren't asian people poor, then, they're also a minority, they aren't poor and they don't commit crimes, how about that?"

The other people at the table were stunned into silence the entire time, aside from one Chinese guy who tried to get in a few words about railroad workers and internment but was immediately rebutted with some other specious bullshit. After it was all over and the racist had left, and I was still shaking, one of the other guests found me and hugged me and said "oh my god I'm so glad you did that, I knew everything he was saying was wrong but I couldn't think how to answer him and you said all the right things and tried so hard and he's just SO RACIST and"...

Hadn't thought about that incident in years. woof

Oh! Anyway he was also a motorcyclist. He probably posts on ADVRider. Prior to this incident we had rented motorcycles to ride around (it was a multi-day destination wedding) and he dropped his while carrying one of the lady guests on the back. Total winner.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 27, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Literally dropped his bike while a Female (that sex of the species which operates without higher strategic thinking abilities and which must be dominated culturally and sexually in order to maintain the stability of advanced civilization) was sitting on the back? Awkward!

I sure hope that you're doing an ADVrider bit because this thread goes real hard on Poe's Law.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Razzled posted:

imagine being so loving woke you can no longer distinguish obvious satire

Oh no it's a level above even that. I couldn't decide if the Rev. Dr. was doing a bit imitating what someone on ADVrider might say, earnestly proclaiming that :females: are the lesser sex -- or being even more woke than I by sarcastically implying that it's sexist to suggest that dumping the bike with a lady on the back is notably worse than dumping it with a man.

right arm posted:

californians lol

don't even get me started. it's really loving exhausting at times. currently the hot topic of discussion is an article about whether White Allies are good or actually bad

Living inside my head for the last 11 months is driving me loving insane

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 2, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

the pehlivan aims to control his opponent by putting his arm through the latter's kisbet. To win by this move is called paça kazık.

:biglips:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I found the only good posts on advrider! A Russian guy who popped into a thread about some American dude trying to import an IZH Planeta-5.

:ussr: posted:

One man junk is another man treasure they say...

It is workhorse in Siberia because there is nothing to chose from. Every old ex-USSR bike is workhorse there along with chinese scooters.

Amazing how it is different for someone, who spent most of life in USSR and you guys ;)

It is not collectable, nor rare and basically it used to be "poor man's Jawa" in Soviet Union times.
BTW - they came with sidecar as well. If you want more exotic ;)

I hope troubles we had from those bikes will pass by you! Enjoy it.

drat, I should start business selling ex-USSR junk to US :newlol:

That bike designed in conditions of ruined economy, poor copies of German war time bike designs, marginal qualirty control etc.
NOBODY worried about what PEOPLE wanted to ride in our country back then :cry: we all wanted Hondas and got Izh.
I am afraid your assumption based on what normal manufacturer would be thinking of, but things were not normal in our country. It was not designed with reliability in mind, not for specific conditions, nothing like that. All bikes were designed in same way in our country. And they were cheaper than imported Jawa.

Sidecar was to make it more popular for villagers, who can haul sac of potatoes off field or get to town center with wife and kid. Not to keep it from falling over on our marginal quality roads.

Oh...I wish I'd seat over couple of beers with you guys to explain how it really worked.

Best Izh ever made was Izh Planeta Sport. Made with Yamaha.

Back then allowed speed for motorcycles on any road in USSR was limited to 90 kmph by road code. BTW.

a guy in argentina who has one and likes it:

quote:

Thank you very much for your insights and comments, sure was a very hard and sad time and for those who do not live that, is difficult to understand.

For my part I only can talk about my feelings about these vehicles, I have a Russian VAZ 2105 sedan and recently bought a motorcycle Planet 5 (see my other threads in this forum)

I bought the car because it was one of the cheapest on the market and in these 4 years has given me good service, it does not break more often than others and when it does, the mechanic is affordable and spare parts are cheap.

I feel meets my needs and my family´s and I'm satisfied.

The bike is a different case, I like classic bikes and wanted to have one for the pleasure of riding it and the price is a factor, here the classic worth more than a car.

Upon learning of the existence of Planet here, I found I like its old-fashioned style ( German technology of the 30's mixed with a touch of the big Japanese bikes from the 80's and russian craftsmanship )

I always had 2-stroke motorcycles, and had the oportunity to have a famous classic bike, with its old style riding feeling and street legal at a price I could afford,made me decide to buy it.

Recently I have it and so far has not given me any headaches .... we will see later.

Both in my car and the bike I love the Practical design, devoid of ornaments so common in modern products.

Not Have a great performance but i travel from point A to B (most of the times ...:newlol:) with undeniable style!

I would love to hear some stories of yours with this bike!

Yep, I see your point. It's just really interesting to see how two different "worlds" meet so many years later in form of vehicle. When we were chasing after WWII Harley WLAs it seems Western countries (as they called you guys on news) were enjoying old Russian antiques.
You got export version of 2105. You should have tried to drive ours :newlol: God, 4 years of non-breaking 2105 was miracle by our standard. Cars were exported with different level of QA, I remember how everyone wanted "export LADA".

Well, my stories about Izh are ugly, no point in sharing. Fixing it for drunk people who would crush it into ditch next day, buying parts from factory that were missing thermal treatment, "upgrading" ignition with unreliable bulky parts...
Just because I was student with no income but love to machinery.

But history of Soviet motorcycle manufacturing - that is kinda interesting and I know a lot about it also from some people, who were involved in it first hand.

I myself had a bit of quality time with Planeta Sport (could not afford it, it was neighbourgh bike, priced twice of Planeta 5 price) and lot of villagers Izh56, Planeta 5, Saturns (rare), Jupiter 4 and 5, Minsk, K750 (wonderful old boxer, more reliable than any of those) etc. etc.
All of those 2-stroke bikes except 2 cyl Jupiter, 32 bhp Planeta Sport and 125 cc Minsk (different factory) derive from german pre-WWII DKW 350. 4 strokes - from BMW R71, Minsk - DKW RT125.
I myself drove for quite some time Dnepr (sidecar rig without sidecar, chopper style - I was youn and dumb) and spent lot of time with my friends sporting anything from Jawa 250 to Urals etc. When we got our grabby hands on third-hand grey import Hondas etc. it was like revelation that bike can actually run like rocket, handle like dream, brake like anchored etc. etc. and won't require to mess up with it every 1000 km.

Anyway, I sincerely wish you won't have any any troubles with your Izh - it is something that defo stands out in crowd outside of ex-Soviet and have its own meaning...kinda cool.:clap

:allears:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I wonder where and when people started overcorrecting and calling chaps "assless chaps?" They are assless pants. If they had an rear end, they could not be called chaps. They would just be leather pants.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I was assuming that it is literally a vacuum cleaner for manure in your horse barn or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

My penis gets un-numb right after I get off

Good new subtitle