Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Advrider is like Reddit in my mind. It's almost always useless, but the sheer number of people there means sometimes you have to go there because some information lives only there.

I would never willingly spend time there these days though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

CAR TIRE BRO DARK SIDE

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well considering there is a guy who rode his R1 around the world, that's definitely true.

I feel like a lot of the advrider guys are "preppers, but with bikes". You know the guys, prepping for the apocalypse and posting endlessly on forums about what's in their bug out bag in the event of a zombie apocalypse? Tons of prep, for no action.

I think a lot of the advrider crew falls into that category. Customizing and farkling endlessly to have a bike that could take you around the world, and will, someday, when you get to it. Maybe.

I get it, for most people it's not easy to take 12+ months off work to galvant around the planet, and it is cool to have a bike that could do it, but I think there is a very large disconnect between "need" and "want" in the adv community.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

poo poo that didn't happen dot txt

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 20, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:thusmbup:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

ffs, this guy:

"I need some help understanding the focus of this world known as “adventure rider” as I am a newbie to this concept.

Maybe I am just expecting to read stories and questions from those who have done and those that have actually beat the living S*#T out of things and want to share real world experience with others as to what works and to pass on the wisdom or impart that knowledge to those who are honestly asking for guidance; not from those who want to do something, and seem to have lots of time and money to pontificate on buying and installing fancy equipment on their bike. To each their own and I am not trying, or want to, piss on any persons’ parade, never will; but other than the entertainment factor of reading how well some new expensive piece of equipment fits or seems to work on a GS, and smiling that the old adage of a fool and their money are soon parted; it all seems a good waste of time for those who are seeking honest opinions. I often see the same on YouTube. I guess those people are too busy riding.

I must start by saying am not a newbie to the topic of having fun on 2, 3, 4 wheels or tracked machines. I have ridden or driven almost every kind of on-road, off road and snow recreational vehicle there is. I have been a BMWMOA member since 1977, and I still own my first BMW. I have so many miles on M/C’s I cannot begin to estimate the total. I started playing in the woods and fields of upstate NY in the 1960’s on these vehicles, in fact one of my best friend’s father was a Bultaco dealer, selling out of their barn (no fancy showrooms in those days), who let us kids freely ride anything in his stable and never got mad when we brought it back in less than new condition. Now I know now he was just finding out what parts to inventory because if us kids didn’t break it, no one else would either. I have ridden motorcycles in every kind of weather from heat to snow. Once on a spring ride with a girlfriend during the college years, we got caught an hour from home in an accumulating snow storm. Dumped her at a diner, rode back to her apt., got her car as I didn’t own a car and went back to get her. I should have listened to the gods and left her at the diner because she is now an ex-wife. Bottom line is my “adventure stories” are numerous and seldom involve equipment purchases or having purchased the absolutely perfect overpriced item.

Over all those years, the number of times I had to rely on a tool kits I can count on one hand, maintenance and not riding too fast or crazy is the key. My tool kits have comprised a means of “jerry rigging” things until I can limp it to a proper place to fix it with my real tools or a garage. If we ran out of fuel then we were a fool. Heated gear meant you bought another newspaper to stuff in your pants and leather bomber jacket. Waterproof Luggage for most of my riding years has been duffle bags with plastic garbage bag liners. Until I bought my R1150RT I never had luggage “matching” the bike. Most of this time the headlights barely illuminated past the front tire at idle and not much farther when riding down the road or fields. If you crashed because you didn’t see the problem, then you were going too drat fast. Bike to bike comms was hand signals and giving the car driver the finger. Not for nothing my one and only crash was in 1971, even off road tip overs have been few and far between. But then again, I am not balls to the wall rider, plan not to fall, and practice riding all the time.

So what confuses me is how did we do all that for all those years without worrying about the proper over protective crash bars, special tank bags that incorporate everything including a margarita blender, complete tool kits that you can overhaul the bike, lighting that would illuminate a sports stadium, extra filtered water, fuel, helicopter support, on and on. And unless it isn’t overpriced - it is absolutely no drat good.

I bought my GSA because my last trip to NS I saw a couple guys dump their bikes on a ferry steel deck screwing up their fancy plastic parts, and I ended up misunderstanding a local’s direction and ended up miles and miles out of my way on a dirt road in a logging camp. I had no problems but, decided that my RT with all its plastic isn’t suited to those conditions (too expensive if stuff happens) so I bought the GSA for something that if it gets broken or trashed it is less problematic to heal. The only thing I have added to the GSA is a loud horn, a couple of $50 LED lights for contrast purposes, and an ADMORE Led light (which I have on all my bikes). I use a $60 Nelson Rigg tank bag for years and it works fine in all kinds of weather. If it rains, I use zip lock bags for waterproofing gear if needed. Then again, I plan ahead.

Now it seems that I am not an “adventure rider” if I don’t spend thousands on overpriced lights, overpriced crash bars and plates, overpriced tank bags, the perfect luggage, and have a Snap-on truck right behind me all the time. Possibly that is just good marketing talking.

Help! Please explain what I am missing?"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This one time, on the internet *little kid out of breath gasping and talking noise* I saw a fully clothed woman on a scooter and now I can’t see a scooter without getting a boner.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I constantly hunt for a 7th gear.

also where can you rent a stick car? None of the big names other than Turo have them

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Advrider more like Dadvrider

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Haha women, am I right guys?

*gets me-too’ed*

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh boy I can’t wait for the boomers on advrider to weigh in on what makes a woman attractive. My guess is an inability to vote?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Thread is: Proper etiquette for passing *slow* groups

Beware of the woman rider in the middle of the group that she shall not take fright as you pass her. Do not explode the exhaust box at her. Go smoothingly by.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is the most effort ever undertaken to not say the nword

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

right arm posted:

This is the most effort ever undertaken to not say the nword

Yeah :yikes:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh man, now that I own an old Goldwing and need to look up how to do things I am running into a poo poo ton of advrider-adjacent poo poo on Goldwing forums.

Lots of “this is my bike Janine” and “she treats me well and gives me everything I need :huh:” posts

Just loving say “this is my 19xx Goldwing <displacement>, I find it to be really reliable and enjoy riding it!”

How loving hard is that?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As someone new to Goldwings I can’t imagine going from the ostensibly good handling motorcycle tire to a square car tire. Handling is already sketch as it is.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Imagine having 1.2 million dollars and being like “this bitcoin thing looks legit”

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Advrider is literally “OK Boomer: The Website”, it’s not surprising at all.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Advrider truly is the retirement home of the internet

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HES THE PRESIDENT NOW DEAL WITH IT

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ooh I also just remembered there is a “post pictures of your wife/gifriend” thread on advrider where they do just that, and then post thinly veiled replies about loving each other’s wives.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:yikes:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah. I’m not going looking for it but it’s gross

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hold on, googling for the nearest western union shop

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You’ll have to skip a few hundred pages to get beyond the death of photobucket but.............enter at your own risk. Don’t say I didn’t warn you about the skeeviness

https://advrider.com/f/threads/bikes-wives-spouse-significant-other-g-f-b-f.484912/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don’t see color and therefore can ignore the problems of people of color I don’t know why everyone doesn’t just do this?!?!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jo momma is where dentists go to call accountants the nword

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m well aware of KTM :smugdog: :dukedog:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Forgot to post the custom bike

What’s the ratio of gross scummy posts about the woman vs posts about the bike?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Extra baffling because shes FULLY CLOTHED

E: oh he’s talking about women in general :rolleyes:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Not ADVRider but you'd never know

https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=55549

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

would my sidecases survive the mag drill from dark knight?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:actually: according to the movie “Minions” (2015) the current minions are the original generation, spanning back thousands of years to BC time periods so what I’m saying is please donate to my patreon, like and subscribe and please hit the bell for notifications

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

Why do they all TYPE like that with big BLOCKS of barely intelligible gibberish and use words like "trounce" (you know the word like bounce but tr like trounce). Just a question!

Uhhh this has been answered many times please do a search, locking thread

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I do generally try to apply the “is this adding to the conversation, or is it at least funny” litmus test.

Yeah, believe it or not, my posts passed that test, at least to me

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have been told that my posts are jewel encrusted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fit to be crushed into a cube