Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Aww yeah, my title suggestion made the cut!

So I am going to :toxx: myself for 13 movies. If I don't get to 13 by the end of May our beloved mod may probate me until October.

I'm going to post my planned 13 movies, with a few that I hope I can get this thread to select for me. These will all be first time watches.

1. Pieces - movie where I got the name of the thread from.
2. The Asphyx
3. Street Trash
4. Graveyard Shift
5. Serial Mom
6. Tombs of the Blind Dead
7. The Vampire Lovers
8. Black Sabbath
9. Lizard in Woman's Skin

For my final selections, I thought it would be fun to let the thread decide my Hammer fate. I realized earlier this year that a huge gap in my horror viewing exists. I haven't seen most of the Hammer films. So to help correct this, here's a short list of ones I haven't seen and if enough people suggest a few those will make it onto my list.

e: going to make this a tracking section for votes.
10-13:
Dracula Has Risen From the Grave- 1
Taste the Blood of Dracula-
Brides of Dracula- 1
Dracula AD 1972-
Curse of the Werewolf-
The Mummy- 2
The Devil Rides Out- 1
Horror Express(not technically a Hammer film, but everyone tells me it might as well be)- 2

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The Devil Rides out is, from what I understand, excellent. But I haven't been able to find it anywhere and it's like $40 on blu ray. Is it available on youtube?

For sure watch The Mummy and Horror Express though. Both feature Lee and Cushing and Horror Express in particular is one that I'm sure there will be a parade of people in here lobbying for. It rules.

If a movie becomes impossible to procure I reserve the right to swap it out. But I'm hoping I can track it down should it make the cut.

e:

Spatulater bro! posted:

I edited my other post but I want to make sure everyone sees it: I'm going to steal MacheteZombie's idea and :toxx: myself for 13 movies. If I don't watch 13 please probate me.

:respek:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Started last night with Black Sabbath. It definitely deserves all the praise it gets. Bava is as stylish as ever. Each segment of this anthology was unique while also tackling similar themes to other Bava movies. I enjoyed all the segments and the twist in The Telephone was one of my favorite moments. Boris Karloff turns in a great performance as a father turned vampire. My wife's favorite was The Drop of Water, she loved the use of sound in that one and the effects work on the deceased woman.

Off to a good start in selection. 1/13

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The Asphyx was incredible. The setting and plot were perfect for the mood of horror I was in when I watched this. It seems like a really silly premise at first and I cracked a joke about it being a proto-ghostbusters flick while watching it however it sucks you right into the world and "science" of it with some good performances from Robert Stephens and Robert Powell. Powell especially stood out to me with his Giles. The ending has some great twists and turns culminating in some delightful dark humor at the end. I thought the design work on the Asphyx creature was pretty creative and the lighting was a highlight of the picture. A solid movie about cheating death and the ultimate costs paid in the pursuit.

Still taking votes on which of these I get to watch for my final 4.
10-13:
Dracula Has Risen From the Grave- 1
Taste the Blood of Dracula-
Brides of Dracula- 2
Dracula AD 1972- 1
Curse of the Werewolf-
The Mummy- 2
The Devil Rides Out- 1 (if it can be tracked down)
Horror Express(not technically a Hammer film, but everyone tells me it might as well be)- 3

Previous Watches:
1. Black Sabbath

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 1, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

I think VHS Viral is worth watching. It's the weakest of the three by a large margin, but it has Parallel Monsters which is really great.

If you can watch just the shorts and skip the wraparound segment it's an absolute blast.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I think I'm gonna leave anthology horror to the real Halloween season, just feels wrong to watch one now.

Disagree. Black Sabbath is great any time.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Shudder wild card recommendation: Tombs of the Blind Dead

This is on my list and one I planned to watch in the next day or two!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

alansmithee posted:

Well fwiw I found the second better, at least some of the segments.

And that's a great choice, but I've seen it already :(. Got another?

It's on your list so not really a wildcard, but I watched The Asphyx recently and it's a great flick.

I'll wild card rec Blood Diner as an alternative.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Or The Church

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

So many possibilities for Shudder wildcard picks. Shudder is awesome.

Anyone still looking for a good wildcard choice might want to check out some Larry Cohen(God Told Me To, The Stuff, Q). I feel like Larry Cohen is like the embodiment of the wild card.

Oh man I watched the Stuff for the first time last month, what a cool flick. Would pair well with a They Live rewatch.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

You should watch Q The Winged Serpent too, because it stars Michael Moriarty, the guy who plays "Mo" in The Stuff aka the best part of the movie. He somehow plays an even more ridiculous character in Q.

Cool I'll check it out for sure. I'm trying to work through a big chunk of the They Shoot Zombies List this year.

Mo was great, up there on my list of awesome horror protagonists.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

How is Beyond Re-Animator?

Beyond is super disappointing. If you want to see Combs as West one more time give it a watch, but you could also just watch one of the other two instead. I was really bummed because West operating out of prison is a great concept.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 5, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Watched a couple on my list and a bonus movie this weekend.

Street Trash - what a mean, offensive, and over the top film. The exploding effects for the people were fantastic. The movie is almost a post-apocalypse film about homeless people during the Reagan era. The homeless characters are all uniquely offputting in their own ways with only a few humanized in very real ways. The main villain, a PTSD rattled Vietnam Vet was pretty terrifying and reminiscent of Mad Max villains, the two main protagonists are orphaned brothers, one comes off as somewhat bi-polar (along with being a wino) who indulges in almost every selfish act his limited grasp can reach while his younger brother seems to be much more together and chooses to be homeless because he doesn't want to leave his brother.

If some of this stuff was explored more it'd be a far more interesting movie about being homeless and drinking liquor that causes you to explode. Instead there's an added subplot of the Vietnam vet killing a random person and a very angry cop who investigates the crime. The subplot goes pretty much no where, ends, then we get back to the main story. The script is also extremely offensive, there's maybe 2 people portrayed as good humans (the younger brother and an older woman who works at the junkyard which is the main place the homeless people live). There's something to be said for the movie trying to portray the homeless characters as broken and unlikable*, but the movie doesn't do enough to give the audience a better idea of what that means. Instead it just revels in the Street Trash for better or worse.

*In the sense that your average person tends to view homeless people as awful people getting their comeuppance when in reality they are often broken and left unable to fend for themselves causing them to lash out or take extreme measures to get things like food, money, shelter.

I gave it :spooky: :spooky: .5/5 and a "like".

Serial Mom - This was an absolute blast and another selection my wife adored. John Waters is a director I have not seen many movies by (Cry Baby being the only one prior to this). While I assume his other movies are not quite like this, it has motivated me to check out more of his catalogue (Pink Flamingos and Cecil B. Demented mostly) because he nails the americana true crime story in this. The bright idyllic town and family was a great backdrop for a crazed pie baking mom. I'm not sure why, but the use of time stamping almost everything particularly stood out with me as a great element in the movie. I'm not sure if it's because it added a sense of legitimacy to the "true story" aspect of the story or just because it added a sense of urgency to everything by emphasizing how close together most of the crimes were. Either way it worked great for me.

Kathleen Turner's performance was outstanding as she switched back and forth from Leave it Beaver Mom to Wendie Robbie's People Under the Stairs Mom. The rest of the cast is well rounded with Sam Waterston sticking out as the beweildered father, Matthew Lillard as the older brother and horror film fanatic, and Ricki Lake as the constantly in love daughter. The family sticking by their mom while trying to make head or tails of having a serial killer for a mom made for some great comedy with a lot of great payoff during the trial scenes.

My only issue is that this probably wasn't the best selection for a "horror" film challenge. The film hems much closer to a true crime comedy in the Fargo mold (though this was two years earlier than Fargo).
I left that complaint out of my grading since it's not important.

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: .5/5 and a "like"

The bonus movie I watched was Demons 2, the sequel to Lamberto Bava's Demons. It's easy to see how much father taught son in this sequel. The lighting, the set dressing, and music are all reminiscent of Mario, but Lamberto goes in a much more outlandish direction than most of Mario's films. The Demon designs are all amazing and I loved the half mogwai gremlin half xenomorph esque creature that was created for this. The plot is pretty straight forward with tenants trapped in a hotel with demons closing in on them from all corners of the building, the movie almost never relents and remains a fun ride from start to finish.

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: /5 and a "like"

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 8, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Not giallos, but since you watched Fulci's The Beyond, have you seen City of the Living Dead? It's probably my favorite Fulci.

Cozzi's Contamination is pretty crazy if you want something Italian from 1980.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Graveyard Shift - This was a movie I felt I should have liked more. A dingy dirty setting, some questionable acting, a great human villain, and a well made oversized gooey wet creature from below. Brad Dourif was a treat even though it was too short to fully enjoy. A decent story, but for some reason this didn't click with me as much as I had hoped. It just feels like something is missing from this flick that could really punch it up. As it is, I found myself bored through large chunks of it. It wasn't awful and I did mark it as "liked" on letterboxd but only gave it a 2.5/5

Previous Watches:
1. Black Sabbath, 2. The Asphyx, 3. Street Trash, 4. Serial Mom, 5. Graveyard Shift

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Dracula A.D. 1972 - Oh man did this movie kick rear end. The opening is one of the best openings I've seen in these movies so far. Lee and Cushing have been such a great duo to watch this year, and I almost feel lucky to have waited so long to see these movies for the first time. Christopher Neame was no slouch in his role as Johnny Alucard (and lol that scene with Cushing writing the names out is fantastic). The music was incredible and elevated some scenes with the funky jazz tracks. It was a bummer reading that it was met more negatively than previous installments. I had a lot of fun watching this and there are some amazing shots. I wanted to make or find a gif of the scene with Alucard bringing Dracula back from the dead because I really like the way it was shot with Dracula appearing above Alucard even though his grave was clearly below Alucard in the previous shot. It was a cool way to play with perspective and make Dracula the larger than life.

"It was my will"

4/5

Previous Watches:
1. Black Sabbath, 2. The Asphyx, 3. Street Trash, 4. Serial Mom, 5. Graveyard Shift

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

When Lee said that line I had to pause the movie because I couldn't believe how absolutely perfect it was. That may be my favorite one liner in movie history. Obviously the hand extended so that Alucard may kiss the ring just adds to it.

Alucard's reaction to the ring being on Dracula's hand is priceless. I also liked how he almost instantly becomes a sniveling whiny brat demanding powers from Dracula while almost intentionally never bringing Dracula the right woman.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Wow this month's flying by and I still have tons to get to.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I'm carefully planning the end of the month because May 31st is my birthday and I want to watch From Beyond that day.

Any lesser known Lovecraftian horror I might be able to throw in there to make it a themed marathon? I've seen all the obvious stuff like Gordon's, In the Mouth of Madness, The Thing, Necronomicon etc.

There's also the 1965 Monster of Terror aka Die Monster Die based on Lovecraft's The Colour Out of Space and the 1970 Dunwich Horror, both directed by Daniel Haller. I haven't seen either of those though.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
7. Horror Express - It's been great getting to watch all of these Cushing/Lee flicks for the first time. Horror Express did not disappoint and it's easy to see why it's a Horror Thread favorite. The premise of a frozen missing link wreaking havoc on a train was wonderfully executed in large part to the movie diving headfirst into the concept. I really liked the effects done on the creature's eyes as well as it's victims. The Rasputin knock off character wasn't good for much more than chuckles when the movie first began, but once he becomes a part of the chaos his character really picked up in a very interesting way. Then out of nowhere, Telly Savalas shows up and everyone watching the movie with me just got entranced by his coat scene chewing. What an amazing bit part.

Been a good month of movies for me so far and this one was certainly a highlight. A must see for Cushing/Lee fans, horror fans, or fans of train movies.

4/5

Previous Watches:
1. Black Sabbath, 2. The Asphyx, 3. Street Trash, 4. Serial Mom, 5. Graveyard Shift, 6. Dracula A.D. 1972

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
With the month closing in fast on me I've made today a marathon day.

8. The Mummy (1959) - This might be one of my favorite Hammer flicks. It's tough when they have all been great so far, but I really enjoyed the story of this one. It felt grandiose in scale with the mummy's curse tied to a tragic love backstory and a morality tale about punishing upper class British folks for their disrespect of Egyptian culture. The flashbacks had some great set design along with the rest of the movie. That swamp was beautiful. George Pastell was great as the human antagonist of the story, a native Egyptian controlling the Mummy and sending it out on a quest for revenge.

3.5/5

9. Brides of Dracula - Another solid Terence Fisher movie. He really knew how to make beautiful gothic horror movies. Like the Mummy (and well every Hammer flick I've seen so far) the set dressing and lighting was superb. I really liked the balcony shots of Marianne's room overlooking the Baron's. I was surprised that Lee didn't show up given the title, but the movie compensated by relying more on Cushing and it was a blast. However, the Baron was not a great vampire villain which made the final battle a little underwhelming. The last shot of the windmill burning (as Spatulater bro! mentions in his letterboxd review) was amazing.

3/5

Previous Watches:
1. Black Sabbath, 2. The Asphyx, 3. Street Trash, 4. Serial Mom, 5. Graveyard Shift, 6. Dracula A.D. 1972, 7.Horror Express

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
10. Pieces - What a hilarious movie. From the chainsaw being at crotch level every time it's held to the goofy characters and dialogue this movie was a joy. My buddy and I couldn't stop laughing at almost every character interaction.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y86_YT4oRG8

Some of the effects were good and the slow motion waterbed killing was cool, but some of the cheaper effects were just too hilarious to not laugh at (looking at you prop arm flying off). The movie is a straightforward slasher with a killer stalking college girls to complete his puzzle. It chucks suspects at you left and right and there's shot where they compile a bunch of the suspects into one shot that's great. The groundskeeper stole the show in his scenes. Kung-fu professor was also a bizarre but scene.

It's a fun sloppy movie and I'm surprised at how well it all works, flaws and all.

2.5/5

Previous Watches:
1. Black Sabbath, 2. The Asphyx, 3. Street Trash, 4. Serial Mom, 5. Graveyard Shift, 6. Dracula A.D. 1972, 7.Horror Express, 8. The Mummy, 9. Brides of Dracula

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

You've had quite a month. That lineup is ridiculous.

And I still have Tombs of the Blind Dead, The Vampire Lovers, and A Lizard in a Woman's Skin to go!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
11. Tombs of the Blind Dead - Unbelievably pretty movie. The horse chases through the fields, the various shots of the Berzano, and the pulsing red light had me hooked. The zombie knights were an interesting twist on typical the standard zombie story. It was a little slow at times but even those times usually offered something visually. The soundtrack and visuals made for an extremely creepy atmosphere. The ending train sequence made for a great finale, the tension building up to it had me on edge.

4/5

Previous Watches:
1. Black Sabbath, 2. The Asphyx, 3. Street Trash, 4. Serial Mom, 5. Graveyard Shift, 6. Dracula A.D. 1972, 7.Horror Express, 8. The Mummy, 9. Brides of Dracula, 10. Pieces

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I want a zombie movie.

City of the Living Dead!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Good call. The remake was fun and way better than expected, especially David Tenant. I saw it in theaters and I have no desire to watch it again.

Hell yes, thank you!

It's one of my favorite zombie flicks.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Day of the Dead is one of my other favorite zombie flicks. I like it more than Dawn.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Oh drat Shout Factory has a channel? Man that's gunna be tempting even with my Shudder backlog

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
12. The Vampire Lovers - Another solid entry into my month of movies. Ingrid Pitt and Madeline Smith were delights to watch. Peter Cushing was also enjoyable as the General and it was interesting seeing him play someone who needed a vampire hunter's help this time. The movie moves at an incredibly slow pace as Ingrid slowly seduces young women and drains them of life. To keep you entertained during these long stretches the movies throws copious amounts of breasts at you, which was nice. I enjoyed staring at the set dressing more often though, and coating everything outside in a hazy fog is always a good choice. Overall it was a simple but solid flick.

The cat with it's tongue hanging out during it's one scene was also the best.

3.5/5

13. A Lizard in A Woman's Skin - What a doozy. Fulci knocked this out of the park. "A woman dreams of her neighbor's death the same night the neighbor is murdered. Did she do it or is she being set up?" was basically all I knew going into this. The opening wet dream sequence was incredible, beautifully shot (much like the whole movie). The red bed will stick in my mind for weeks probably. Loved the way the movie weaved through various suspects and their stories knitting an insanely psychedelic crime tale. The hippy girl was cast really well and I loved her bit part (especially her painting scene). Ennio's score is also top notch and the way it blends in out of the diegesis was expertly executed. This is a wonderful giallo that any fan should check out if they haven't already. I wish more movies were like this.

4.5/5

(I just read about who Fulci got dragged to court for the dog scene, lol)

Previous Watches:
1. Black Sabbath, 2. The Asphyx, 3. Street Trash, 4. Serial Mom, 5. Graveyard Shift, 6. Dracula A.D. 1972, 7.Horror Express, 8. The Mummy, 9. Brides of Dracula, 10. Pieces, 11. Tombs of the Blind Dead

And that's my 13! I also watched Alien Covenant and Demons 2 during the month but didn't count them since I pre-selected most of my list. Thanks to the folks that suggested which Hammer Horror films to check out!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Definitely Night Train

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I'm interested in knowing what everyone's favorite watches were for the challenge.

If I had to pick one...I think I had most fun watching The Church. I had a friend over, and our reactions were just escalated excitement throughout.

For best movie, I think I'll give it to Opera, since it was new to me, but I think Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Eyes of My Mother are almost perfect.

Horror Express and Pieces were probably the most fun I had during watches thanks to watching them with friends. Just so many funny lines in those movies.

A Lizard in A Woman's Skin was my favorite though. I'm such a Fulci fanboy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Nekromantik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Everybody's got one, personally I'm not a big fan of Nightmare on Elm Street. I've skipped it the past two Octobers.

• Locked thread