Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I heard that this is now a battle royale game??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yes. Are you excited?

I'm tentative for now, but then I remember that this is from the former developers of the highly acclaimed MMO Everquest Next.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

I got really confused when he showed what seemed to be 2 games: A action-based third party battle royal, and a traditional Everquest-like combat system with hotbars. There was something about being able to switch between each? I'm so confused.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
It really does sound like a game with cool concepts that they've successfully tested internally with their small alpha base. What developers don't seem to understand is that no one cares about their "vision". Once you have thousands of players playing this game at the same time, the holes will be found and the meta will be revealed. It will then be up to the developers to either compromise the vision by trimming down systems to their base simplistic forms, or to accept that they will have a small niche group of players the game will cater to. Judging by the marketing campaign, I think they will be trying to maximize sub count above all else.

In one of the videos, they mentioned a city can be constructed and also demolished? There were caravans that can be used to transfer your goods from node to node. What kind of goods were they talking about? My traditional understanding of a game like this would be if a player has just farmed up a bunch of silver ore and can't store it all in their inventory, they could place it in a bank. This bank would be usable at an already established node. However, this node can be destroyed by other players. Does that mean my silver ore is gone forever?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

hobocrunch posted:

I wasn't referring to the raiding of Metropolis, I was referring to Raids that are unlocked when you get a Metropolis. I don't know if anyone's doing rough numbers on quests etc, and I don't know the facts so I could be completely off base here, but if they're actually planning unique content for all the nodes, lets say there's 5 levels, and each level is 4 quests, 1 dungeon starting at level 3/4/5 and 1 raid at metropolis level, that's 5 raids at least they need at launch (but even possibly maybe 6), some absurd amount of quests- 100 nodes, lets say on average every node is level 3 in 2 months, that's like 1200 unique quests and 100 dungeons. Obviously these numbers are just guesses, but without some serious time gating they're going to have their work cut out for them. I also worry that Metropolis' will take so long to build and be basically a pushover for a good guild, basically barring people from raid content in the game (or something to that nature). All in all Intrepid have their work cut out for them.

I guess it depends on how unique the quests and dungeons are. 1200 quests that have you collect 10 antelope testicles don't require too much work. With dungeons, they can have a thousand if they really want, but most of those dungeons will look like they came from Oblivion.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Wasn't there supposed to be a no-NDA alpha in August? Or was that just "Fall 2020".

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Looks good for a pre-Alpha.

I am most interested in seeing this game once it has actual players playing it. How is this node system going to really work when you have a thousand people running around.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Ehud posted:

New alpha one video with an extremely long boss fight.

It's a raid boss and they're trying to kill it with a small party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_hsJPB8y7k

the combat and effects are very flashy and pretty

This is probably the best video they've shown so far, but I'm still not seeing the main draw. It just looks like an Alpha Guild Wars 2.

When are they going to show off the node system which apparently is the main selling point of this game?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Jack B Nimble posted:

reports of poor leadership and losing talent

Sounds like it's going to be a typical MMO launch then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I think the industry has figured it out, which is why the MMO genre is basically dead at this point. Too much money to build, and way more money to maintain. The amount of technical debt you are accumulating must be awful.