Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
so it turns out the MLM-scammer guy made a deal with my.com to publish the game in europe?

my.com is a well-known russian "publisher" that shovels out pay to win eastern MMOs, installs bloatware (mail.ru) on your system, bans people at random so they have to re-buy, and just in general is one of the shadier companies out there.

also, oops, I forgot to mention that the my.com db was "hacked" and literally every account for every game compromised

a match made in heaven, says I :glomp:

this video game looks very nice but I do not trust MLM fuckos, no, not at all

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Thursday Next posted:

so it turns out the MLM-scammer guy made a deal with my.com to publish the game in europe?

my.com is a well-known russian "publisher" that shovels out pay to win eastern MMOs, installs bloatware (mail.ru) on your system, bans people at random so they have to re-buy, and just in general is one of the shadier companies out there.

also, oops, I forgot to mention that the my.com db was "hacked" and literally every account for every game compromised

a match made in heaven, says I :glomp:

this video game looks very nice but I do not trust MLM fuckos, no, not at all
Don't forget my.com's parent company having ties with Putin's regime and doing the occasional passing on information of dissidents on to the GRU.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

my.com has published some reasonably well-made mobile games, but yeah, all of them pay-to-win

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So there is apparently an open beta starting now and going through the weekend. Has any goon actually played this?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

D-Pad posted:

So there is apparently an open beta starting now and going through the weekend. Has any goon actually played this?

It’s an open beta for the BR mode that is being used to test combat.

Haven’t played it.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

Ehud posted:

It’s an open beta for the BR mode that is being used to test combat.

Haven’t played it.

I watched some footage on youtube and there is a grenade launcher weapon somehow.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Kak posted:

I watched some footage on youtube and there is a grenade launcher weapon somehow.

Yeah, it's a "potion" launcher. I played one round. BR doesn't interest me, but if the full game combat is the same it will be fun.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

D-Pad posted:

Yeah, it's a "potion" launcher. I played one round. BR doesn't interest me, but if the full game combat is the same it will be fun.

I watched some youtube videos of the BR combat....it looks very good for MMO combat. Not quite black desert, but better than the average run for sure. My only source for info up to this point has been this thread which has been pretty universally negative about the game's chances of success, though? Is combat the only thing they have going for them thus far? Is their key focus (the world that changes based on player actions) impossible or something?

Space Monster fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 26, 2019

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

lol this game is going to have subscription

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

frajaq posted:

lol this game is going to have subscription

that's okay, it won't for long.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://ashesofcreation.com/blog/2019-03-07-creative-directors-letter

- alpha one delayed

- BR mode is gonna be up 24/7 at some point

- they’re trying to have 100 full time devs on staff

- they’re doing construction on a 21,000 square foot studio

I love the way they phrase this stuff...

quote:

Testing of Apocalypse successfully revealed the need for some architectural refactoring that we’re glad we were able to spot early on, and while development is split into separate departments that continue forward despite the needed rearchitecting (engineering, design, art, etc.), some of these issues needed rebuilding from the ground up as you’ll see outlined below.

Basically they realized (through testing large scale PVP in the BR mode) the current net code and planned infrastructure cannot support the gigantic PVP battles they envisioned. They are now redoing those systems and it has delayed alpha one by “months”.

This is shaping up to be a massive failure lol.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

That's ultimately the stumbling block for all these pie in the sky MMOs that promise huge battles and player driven worlds and all that crap. Sure, you can probably code the engine to take it and to render all the stuff you need if it were a single player game or everybody were always on a LAN or something. But the netcode challenges and especially the infrastructure challenges of getting everything to not just chug and die under the load make it impractical for an MMO.

There's a reason that when huge battles happen in EVE they have to resort to time dilation which is just standardized lag.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
So how long until they announce they are just going to go all in on the BR mode

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

This game is not going to be released

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Very shocked that the kickstarter scam from the pyramid scam guy turned out to be a scam.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Zaodai posted:

That's ultimately the stumbling block for all these pie in the sky MMOs that promise huge battles and player driven worlds and all that crap. Sure, you can probably code the engine to take it and to render all the stuff you need if it were a single player game or everybody were always on a LAN or something. But the netcode challenges and especially the infrastructure challenges of getting everything to not just chug and die under the load make it impractical for an MMO.

There's a reason that when huge battles happen in EVE they have to resort to time dilation which is just standardized lag.
ESO has a zone where you can conduct large scale battles, but it was always a lagfest during the primetime (and I bet it still is, they just couldn't fix it). But I am pretty sure that some kickstarter MMORPG will resolve this issue if only it gets more platinum pledgers or whatever.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Why is it different for some older games like Lineage 2 and DAOC? I've had big multiple hundreds of player battles in those (or at least a hundred on screen) and they ran more or less fine. is it just because they're less sophisticated in general, not just graphically?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
They were made by at least half-competent people.

Also, those games appeared when 56k was still an appreciable part of the market, they had to *work* on that. Not well, but well enough. Also, toasters back then were much shittier compared to now when a 10 year old pc is probably a dual or even quad core amd64 of some kind in the 3-4ghz range. Thus, they worked great on bredband and a half-decent pc.

I remember running lineage 2 on a shitshow of a pc back then and it ran at a low fps, but it was playable.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think some of it is that a difference in expectations as well as sophistication allowed them to design around some of the issues. It's the same reason some of the Ultima games could get away with running at a single digit framerate when they first came out. They built the game somewhat to take it into account, and the expectations of the average user is that something like that should have been nearly impossible anyway so they didn't see that as an issue.

Now that most people have low latency broadband connections and want their framerates to be smooth at over 100 FPS and expect buttery goodness at all times, it's harder to design slowness into the system to hide when back end is trying to catch up to the load.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

frajaq posted:

This game is not going to be released

Being an MMO gamer in 2019 is mostly just laughing at all the failed ventures.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
this is still a thing lol

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
Everquest Next devs lol

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Kak posted:

Everquest Next devs lol

More like “Everquest? Next!”

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

quote:

The state of Ashes is STRONG.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I heard that this is now a battle royale game??

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Cardboard Fox posted:

I heard that this is now a battle royale game??

Yes. Are you excited?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yes. Are you excited?

I'm tentative for now, but then I remember that this is from the former developers of the highly acclaimed MMO Everquest Next.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zaodai posted:

While I've come to think it's never going to amount to an actual game, the seven years Camelot Unchained spent on building an engine has in fact paid off with 100s of people on screen and very little appreciable frame loss or lag. Of course it looks like a modernized DAOC, if it was modernized in 2008, but if they actually manage to pull it off in another 7 years it might be worth looking into.

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 23, 2019

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
lol is this a thing yet / has any KS backer gotten updates

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Still waiting for the announcement that they’ve decided to flesh out the BR mode and do away with the MMO elements

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

More like “Everquest? Next!”

hell yeah

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
ya'll ready to play the ashes of creation BATTLE ROYALE?!?!?!?!??!?!?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
havent been able to log in all day

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
There's actually a game to log in to?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Space Bat posted:

ya'll ready to play the ashes of creation BATTLE ROYALE?!?!?!?!??!?!?

Despite seeing the name it didn't occur to me it was related. I watched about 10 minutes of gameplay when one of the streamers I follow was playing it last night. It looked absolutely horrible in every way. Especially the combat. Jesus Christ did it look awful.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

lmao, watching some video and this is almost impressively garbage.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the game looks like poo poo if you are watching it, but I played beta before this and this latest one... and it wasn't the worst thing.

Definite improvement since the last playtest.

If it wasn't the stupid BR format I would probably play a lot more.

Here's a highlight of me winning against other clueless testers: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/470058454

Since they added the hero jump stuff and block I guess the fighting is a little more like a fighting game, and you can do some weird/fun tactics so its not all just spamming.

Also you can polymorph and turn into a crate, which is hilarious.

soy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 21, 2019

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
idk man I think spellbreak is a better version of whatever the hell this is

Orv
May 4, 2011
Calling this unsalvagable garbage is an insult to unsalvageable garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still waiting for a sandbox MMO