Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
The biggest red flag with this is that UE4 is an engine ->>not built by default for mmo-scale things<<-

It requires:
1. Rewrite of client netcode interfaces to phase characters in/out in an mmo context, instead of loading ALL things on game load
2. Custom server (the default UE4 server even in-cluster has trouble with > 200 clients), since the precision is so high because it's made for shooter games, not cell-movement MMOs.
3. Rewrite of client level streaming and coordinate system to allow for less precision and more space.

You need SE for these things if you want them to not gently caress up in an MMO context.

Blade & Soul was UE3, and they just said gently caress it we're instancing every map with zone loads, and running several "channels" aka servers to handle it.

This is gonna be a train wreck and I can't wait!

e: Source, I'm an ECPE, and have been working with UE4 for 2 years, and am pretty drat familiar with the internals :tinfoil:

FireWhizzle fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Pickles posted:

they could go full retardstar citizen and post a devblog at some point saying "gently caress it, we gun use that money to modify the game engine from scratch to suit our needs for YOUR DREAM GAME", then even proceed to swap to another engine, or some poo poo. since the SC guys already did it, its bound to happen again.

excuse the tech jargon

The UE4 client is good for an MMO, don't get me wrong, but you have to rip out the netcode that was designed for a shooter game :smith:

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Pickles posted:

this should be on the top of their to-do list :P

In an MMO context, the first thing you should be doing - and this is touted repeatedly by every successful MMO team ever in their dev blogs:

write a hurricane proof server architecture and netcode suite

The netcode / server arch is the foundation upon which you build your MMO house. If the foundation sucks, the whole McMansion, though flashy, will just crumble

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
I think the Matrix Online was from the era of EQ engine McMMOs from SOE.

Essentially they took the EQ engine and modded it for all their games and just kept printing hoping one would stick. SWG iirc was partially an EQ McMMO with heavy modding. I haven't ripped up SWG's game files so idk

Zaodai posted:

I agree whole-heartedly with this, and I believe this is one of the things that actually has kept World of Warcraft popular for so long. Its netcode is pretty good in just about any environment. Playing on low ping? High ping? loving dial up? You're mostly fine (except for capital cities on dial up, I guess). They even have movement partially clientside somehow without speed hacks being an issue, so you don't get jittery lag-step animations like most MMOs, everything stays fluid on your screen so you don't really notice it unless you have like a full second of lag.

It makes it just "feel" better than most MMOs, even though it is old as poo poo at this point.

So WoW is in it's own special realm here to be fair. WoW is one of the few client-trusted MMOs, but they have a really loving good warden subprogram to track sketchy activity, and a warden on the server side that scans user data for things that look out of whack. They are able to do this for a few reasons, primarily that trusting a client in WoW, then having that client do something bad can't really permanently gently caress up the game, since the game is designed in a certain way. That and they have very good tools for tracing/removing illicit game states. Other online games that have much more at stake - e.g. BDO, can't really do this because of the node-war/crystal destroy system to name a few. Thus, BDO had issues with it's double-handshake-ball-tug-reacharound secure netcode at first, essentially DDOSing themselves into the ground before removing some of the constant updates like karma pings.

In fact, here is blizzard watching the state of the servers at all times. I guarantee there is a set of these with a maintenance-QA staff approving autoban requests:

FireWhizzle fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 3, 2017

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
New Thread Title: Ashes of Creation - $750k Dollar Menu McMMO FOR LIMITED TIME ONLY!!!

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
1 network engineer is the price for my 200bux

*sneers scrooge-mcduckly*

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Republicanus posted:

I registered (did not give a red cent though) to show support for a few of the ideas. If it ever releases with (1) individualized crafting, (2) semi-hidden quests (node system) I'd be very pleased. If not, maybe someone in the far, far future will make a real mmo with those 2 items.

Plus I like getting email from software companies. They start sounding desperate at the 11 month stage.

here's an idea (circa 1995)

build a loving product then sell it

FireWhizzle fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 4, 2017

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Mirificus posted:

A Bard's Tale, an Ashes of Creation Story. Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtz-De83-Ys

What the gently caress is this? Some guy rambling in an accent that US whales can barely understand. How are you going to harvest whale blubber when you can't even sing it's song?

e: Holy poo poo this is a fanfic for a fic that doesn't exist. I had to replay the intro 5 times before understanding this.

FireWhizzle fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 4, 2017

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Wait what the gently caress?

I'm gonna have to touch the poop for a brief sec and agree with MMO:HMO:Alexander: OP of Bad MMO Threads.

PS2 engine dev took years and they did a loving phenomenal job. Just look at the sheer scale that SHOOTER MMO operates on. This was good and they should be commended for it. I commended them with my wallet and several rounds of gameplay through the Snuggles GOKU goonjerk.

That said they still haven't announced any network engi's writing a believable MMO scale solution for UE4.

Also they kinda hosed themselves not making a prototype first lmao. The idea of making a game starts with the ability to make a game.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

SweetBro posted:

Vanilla WoW was also complete poo poo compared to most MMOs today and simply had the advantage of being one of the first to market.

Vanilla WoW beat out it's already established competition in (in copies sold) in it's first 36 hours. It was a very well made game, and built upon a user base that had been cultivated with the Warcraft series.

Vanilla WoW is also better than most MMOs from 2016 and 2017, because it exists, unlike most modern multi-level-marketing schemes MMOs

Vanilla WoW also defined the standards for raid based content, and still does to this day.

:allears: about how it was the most successful MMO ever made a lovely game though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Apparently the hype game on this is strong enough that my friend mentioned he's excited but hesitant to slam buy a pre-order pack after reading up on the game devs in a Twitch chat and got kicked, a time out, and then people spammed "who cares?" memes at him

I had similar experience. It was a run-in last year in another game with a guy that sunk in big and was trying to shell out keys to get more people to buy in. I played it for a few minutes as UE4 struggled to stream their ludicrous amounts of unoptimized textures and fx, causing my 1080ti to emit strange noises and warnings. I told him that it seems more of an art show than anything and he got pretty offended on behalf of this kickstarter mmorpg team.