Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Ehud posted:

So they’re at a point where they’re doing pre-alpha streams of what looks like a pretty standard MMORPG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM7d8BpYix4

If the goal was a PVE dungeon crawler then they’re doing pretty good!

Sweet merciless Eris, that just looks tedious as all hell.

I also enjoy how they show absolutely nothing unique at all, that just looks like a fairly crap older wow instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

ChickenWing posted:

Somebody mentioned this to me and I was like "huh that's a super cool idea" and everything seemed super interesting up until I realized it was a kickstarter mmo

I want to believe but I'm definitely not holding my breath

Shouldn't that just be a common sense rule by now, do not kickstart MMOs at all, ever, ever, never, don't, just don't, run away.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Byolante posted:

This but crowd funding in general

Hey, that's not right, several games and what not have been made.

But not a single successful kickstarted MMO exists. Shroud of the Avatar is a shambolic mess, so even though it actually kinda made it into launch, it sure as gently caress ain't a success.

This WoW clone wont be on either, it'll be Free2Play within a matter of months with a cash shop full of winners delight.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

I said come in! posted:

"most ambitious MMORPG" *proceeds to list only features that every single other MMORPG has*

It looks World of Warcraft with Guild Wars 2's aesthetics glued on top of it.

And then dialed down to two and baked in a pre-heated oven at too low temperatures without proper ventilation.

It looks so loving generic.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

doomisland posted:

They did a battle royale to test the combat system during which they found some issues and fixed them to allow for large scale battles, if i understood correctly. So they're confident in 250v250 and now theyre next target is to try and support 500v500.

No, they did the Battle Royale to try and get into that hype, it obviously didn't work, so now they claim "stress test".

Anything that even whispers the Battle Royal nonsense are just trying to get the hype going, don't, all MMOs are poo poo.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Ehud posted:

New alpha one video with an extremely long boss fight.

It's a raid boss and they're trying to kill it with a small party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_hsJPB8y7k

the combat and effects are very flashy and pretty

It looks like Guild Wars 2, hell, the icons are almost Guild Wars loving 1.

I mean, sure, functional and all, but otherwise, it just looks like everything we already seen before.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Doublestep posted:

i would make fun of someone 24 times harder if they told me they spent $12,000 on PoE when it was in alpha

The entire Star Citizen thread(s) are based on endless mocking whales that have spend thousands on JPEGs.

Also, I just went and had a look at Ashes of Creations shop, the cheapest buy-in is 75 US$. Now, I know someone will point out in includes two months of subscription, which is fair, that's 50% of the value and presuming a base cost of 30-35 US$, then sure, we've got 60-65 US$ worth of pure value.

So it's 15ish US$ for Beta-access, disregarding the digital premium currency of course, it has zero actual value.

That's not actually that bad, presuming the beta ever get's released of course.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Orv posted:

People are allowed to spend their money however they want, I've always been tired to loving death of the years people spent posting "Don't preorder" and poo poo like that.

But you shouldn't pre-order, you should wait for reviews, you are essentially undermining a core principle of pro-consumerism, that we can make or break them with our spending.

But yeah, you are indeed allowed to spend your money as you please, of course, you are also allowed to mock anyone who spend 12000 US$ on Path of Exile or Star Citizen or Shroud of the Avatar or whatever.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

FrostyPox posted:

Wait the $500 up front isn't even for a lifetime sub?
:laffo:

Who knows, maybe when it actually launches it'll be the best MMO of all time and I'll be eating my words. I'd almost be willing to bet $500 against that happening tho

I love how they go "150+ worth of in-game currency", which is comedy, because it's actual totally worthless. The 500 US$ non-kickstarter option? Not worth it at all, you'd have to be Star Citizen level of stupid disposable income to buy that.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

ShowTime posted:

Thank you.

Listen. Game looks alright. It's not where a full-fledged release needs to be, but its not billing itself as that. I literally laughed at people who spent $500 on this game months ago and I'm here still. You can check my post history. I'm not saying it's the next WoW and I'm not saying spend $500 on the beta, but this dev team has actually made a game, or at least the shell of a game and that's what we should be talking about.

I enjoyed checking out alpha streams this weekend and AoC has done a far better job of promoting their game than New World or Lost Ark has. I follow all MMOs and the one that's getting the most coverage, with New World beta on the horizon and Lost Ark years after release: Ashes of Creation. Will it succeed? We'll see. But the game isn't all that bad and if they keep on with their development, it could be a thing. Maybe not a big hit but, if spending $500 to develop that game for a few years of content becomes a thing, well then maybe those that kickstarted this shitpile weren't so out of it.

The videos I've seen so far aren't terribly impressive, seems generic frankly.

The terrains remind me of Warhammer Online for some reason, which isn't good, that game was just ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
This thing died yet?