Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

DON'T 👏 DRAFT 👏 TIGHT 👏 ENDS 👏

Dwayne Allen, late round. A sure bet for whenever you play me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Mariota is likely to do better, but Winston has a much higher floor due to volume, weapons, and system

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
<drops mic>

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I feel like this exact Cincy scenario: Two deep ball threats, one decent flat receiver, and a shaky running game... is why Sky and Cloud coverage was invented. Unless Cincy's offensive line somehow uses spit to come together, I don't see Ross being a threat until like 2-3 years, once he gets his routes down.

Mike Williams, 10 times out of 10. Rivers can find him enough to get him like 800 yars and maybe 4 TD

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Silly Burrito posted:

I could swear I could do this last year, but how do you see the rosters that people had last year on an NFL.com league? Trying to figure out who will be kept as keepers, and all the rosters are currently empty. When I click history, it just gives me last year's winners and a few random stats.

Edit: Never mind, I finally found it in the history: http://fantasy.nfl.com/league/12345/history/2016/teamhome?teamId=8

Thanks for making it easy, NFL.

Remember last year, when drafting some guy (I forget whom) would freeze the draft, and since he was ranked pretty well ANY draft with an autopick team would inevitably crash.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Veritek83 posted:

Worried i might have to listen to a Bachelorette podcast to find out.

Can we unpack this? Why are they doing that? Why did anyone think that wouldnt be the most alienating thing possible for ff fans? It must be executive meddling, right?

Is it the worst idea in FF history?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I need a sanity check here. I just got an offer (dynasty, 2 RB 2 WR 3 Flex) of Davante Adams plus Gore plus 2.5 for Hyde and CJA. This would leave me with the following RBs: Gore, Perkins, Powell, Burkhead, West, Sproles. My WRs though would be: OBJ, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Adams, Crowder, Funchess, Aiken, Sharpe.

I feel like the value is definitely there for the trade, but the situation it leaves me in isn't good. I've always heard to draft value and trade for need, does that rule this out even though I really like the value?

Seems to good to be true? Adams in a dynasty for a buncha mediocre doodoo, AND you get some other stuff...

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't know if Hyde is mediocre doodoo, but I agree it's a good trade.

That's true, hyde seems quite likely to get traded to a better situation, at least from what I'm hearing

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
How are playoff spots determined in Scott Fish bowl?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Thanks. So its like head to head in the playoffs, except there are multiple teams facing each other . So head to head to head to head to head...

That doesn't sound nearly as large as some of the events I've run, let me examine logistics and see if it's feasible for me to do

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 28, 2017

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Someone explain how scott fish bowl has 720 teams, there's not enough NFL players so I assume a player can be owned by more than one team? For some reason this aspect is not covered on the site at all.

e. Is it that each "division" of 12 teams shares one pool of the NFL players?

yes, you got it. It's divided into conferences and divisions, where each division is kind of like its own league until the playoffs

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
drat, I nailed a lot of these
http://sportsfascination.com/1978/02/08/15-fantasy-predictions-everyone-making-totally-wrong-single-page/

Makes it super ironic that two weeks later I lost this column

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Why is the article dated Feb. 1978?

I'm that good.

Yeah, that's weird, it's obviously from early september, 2016.
I can only guess that I... why did I do that? I know I had a reason, and it had to do with the position of the article on the blog. Like I either did or didn't need it to be top feature, so changing the date caused wordpress to move it up or down on the page.

Maybe that's why I got let go.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 28, 2017

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Okay, I've checked it all out.

:siren:I will set up a Scott Fish Bowl for everyone on SA:siren:

I have tons of event planning experience, nearly two decades of fantasy football commisioneering, and I'm good at recruiting a large number of people to do something. Plus I just like learning and executing the logistics of large events (my two favorite hobbies are event planning and fantasy football).

However, before I can make a thread and really kick this thing off, the league needs a name. Something catchy and marketable. It would be great if it wasn't SA-inside-joke specific, because I will want to recruit some of the pundits I know, but that's not a hard rule if someone has a great idea. If it helps, we're going to probably mirror the scoring settings and playoff settings of this year's SF bowl, although I'm shooting for 60 people not 600

So... what should we call this extremely large league?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 28, 2017

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

I;m thinking about thos teams

Ths got a laugh out of me

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
What are some sites that offer slow draft? I know mfl does it, I just want to compare prices

Edit: Oh, wait I see the real SFB uses MFL, so we'll just go with that to KISS

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 28, 2017

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Almost done hammering out these guidelines for the Goon Fish Bowl, and I have a question:
The 2017 SFB scoring settings say "extra 1.5 points per first down for tight ends." Does this mean tight ends get 2.5 point bonus for a first down (the standard 1 point bonus plus an extra 1.5 points)? Or is just the standard point bonus every RB/WR gets for a first down, plus an extra 0.5?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Papes posted:

2.5 total

Thanks!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Hey y'all wanna hear something good

In best ball drafts, I'm all about drafting a TE in the first 5 rounds

I've only done one, but it seems like Best Ball drafts reward those who take a risk on an oft-injured player, but make sure to back them up. With that in mind, Gronk, Reed, and Kelce (not oft-injured, but oft-ninja) seems pretty safe

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

Ya boy just got offered $150 to put 500 words on cbs digital's scout.com about the fantasy football prospects of the jacksonville jaguars

Gonna go hang out with prisco now

Congrats! You deserve it

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
FISH BOWL FISH BOWL FISH BOWL FISH BOWL FISH BOWL FISH BOWL FISH BOWL FISH BOWL

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825569

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

89 posted:

So, even though my WRs are Julio, Baldwin, & Alshon, I'm starting to think RB-RB might have been optimum. I didn't feel comfortable with guys like Crowell in the 3rd, I think that's too high. I could have possibly landed Devonta Freeman or LeSean McCoy and I was one pick away from DeMarco Murray. So let's say McCoy & Murray. Then I'd have Alshon and then there's plenty of high quality WRs left.

RBs? Wasteland already after 2 rounds.

Interesting. I feel the exact opposite. There are tons of deep rookies and un-sexy picks this year to round out a solid receiver core. Gore, Mixon, Crowell (but not in the 3rd, agreed), Perkins, Ingram, Powell, Gillislee are all guys I'd be proud to have as my RB1 if I didn't pick an RB in the first 3 rounds.

Like Papes said, I'm finding my best mocks are where I don't end up drafting an RB until round 4 (although I still follow my strict "best player available" rule for the first three rounds)

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Papes posted:

Why would you not do an auction draft in the year 2017?

But to answer your question, no. I would draft a top 3 rb and immediately try to trade them after the draft.

Last year all 4 of my leagues were auction. It lends itself to much better/funner draft days, but man its hard to discuss 2 months beforehand, because market swings are so much more pronounced

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
A lot of people signing up for the Goon Fish Bowl, already, yay!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825569

If I wanted to promote this on Reddit, just to maximize teams, what sub would be best?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Dr. quinncy, medicine womenunwa

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Enunwa bites the dust

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Thanks, I sent that one in to Fantasy Football Today and Adam Aizer read my name on the air. m

Yes, you may touch me.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I feel like its super weird that mccaffrey is going 3.14 in dynasty

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

Just lol if multiple cbs fantasy guys dont follow you on Twitter :smug:

Just lol if you don't have multiple articles with 3 million+ hits*
http://www.cracked.com/members/Drunk%20Nerds/

* that are from like ten years ago and have nothing to do with fantasy football

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

The site I write for is garbage because they keep chasing off writers lol

The sites I write for are garbage because... well, we can't ignore the common link here
What's your site again? Link your favorite article you've ever written

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Papes posted:

I also like how nobody takes into consideration DJ's knee injury because he didn't miss any fantasy relevant games. If that injury happened in week 12 I doubt he he would still be consensus 1.01.

It's that he had all offseason to recover from a straightforward MCL sprain. If he had gotten injured week 12, he would have had even longer to recover and might be even more solidly entrenched at #1. It's not like he tore something

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Sataere posted:

The point is it only illustrates the fragility of running backs. And guys who get hurt during the fantasy season usually find their ADP takes a hit. I suspect it makes people feel like they are more prone to get injured, which makes it really feel arbitrary that DJ didn't take a hit.

I feel like knee-jerk reactions to players getting injured during the fantasy season was more of a thing 10 years ago. Today, everyone is all over metrics and injury reports. Case in point: AP was a consensus #1, then tore his mcl after the fantasy season was over, and his ADP dropped like 20 places. The only difference between his situation and David Johnson's was severity of injury: which is my point(DJ didn't fall because his injury isnt serious)

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Rotoviz has a really solid article on why last year was an incredible fluke in terms of RB scoring and RB health.

Link please?

I'm finding this debate fascinating, and look forward to hearing more opinions for both sides of the issue

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Thanks!

Similarly, Jamaal Charles was a consensus top 3 pick in 2012, despite burning owners by going out for season week 1 of 2011. There's just too much info out there for most owners to have a short term memory about January injuries versus earlier ones

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Ben Nevis posted:

Going in with a locked in plan either way is dumb.

This. This has always been true and will be true for the rest of time

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

ifuckedjesus posted:

Thoughts on Ty Montgomery this season? Such an interesting pick. Wait until late pre-season to decide whats going to happen in GB?

Too gadgety. A pass-happy offense like GB wants an RB who can north-south three yards on command, everything else is just a bonus. Although Ty is stocky, he just doesn't seem to have the shoulders to fit into the "first down with a cloud of dust" game plan.

Now I'm going to go watch Packers games to make sure this isn't me talking out of my butt

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Last year, Ty Montgomery had 77 carries for an average of 5.9 yards per carry. Granted that was use as a gadget carrier, but still, that's Jamaal Charles-like efficiency.

e. I honestly think the biggest issue is whether he learns to block. If he does, then we'll actually get to find out if he can be a "first down with a cloud of dust" guy; otherwise, he's doomed to third down/gadget plays.

This brings up a good question: Is there a site that does stats like number of rushes that go for negative yards? Perhaps just lists every Ty Montgomery rush?

Because it's super good to know if his 5.9 yards was without consistent deviation, or if it was like "lost 2 yards, lost 2 yards, lost 2 yards, gained 30 yards" when it comes to figuring out if he is dependable.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Papes posted:

Why would anyone draft Paul Perkins when J Stew is still available?

Giants have shown supreme confidence in Perkins. Carolina has shown they plan to take a lot of carries away from stewart.
Stewart is always injured, and he's a year older
Perkins has had a year to learn the giants schemes
Teams can guard against the run with Carolina, because they have one of the worst receiving cores
Giants have one of the best receiving cores, I doubt Perkins will ever see eight in a box
Giants going to score a lot, perkins is probably their best weapon inside the 5
Carolina's short yardage scores will be divvied up between Cam, their fullbacks, and whichever rb is on the field

I'm not on the hype train. PErkins is going to have an unexciting year where he finishes as like he 24th best RB. Which is great value for where he is going, as Spoeank mentioned. I value floor in my RB2, and Perkins definitely seems to have a much higher floor than Stewart, who might end up as an afterthought in the Panthers plans

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 9, 2017

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Ayudo posted:

Stewart and Mcaffery are going to be a Lacy and Starks duo this year, and I'd bet you can pencil Stewart in for the same 200 inefficient touches he always gets. Also, Stewart had 9 Tds last year in 13 games and Mike Tolbert is going to camp in Buffalo.

FFcalc has Perkins going in the 6th and Stewart going in the 9th.

I'll take Stewart 10/10 times there. In fact, I'd take Ingram in the 6th before I even took a whiff of perkins.

Yes to most of that. Although, The statement being debated was "Why would anyone draft Paul Perkins when J Stew is still available?" So I think you're agreeing with my rebuttal even though it sounds like you are disagreeing with it.

Has Ingram been falling to the sixth for you? That's insane. He's like a legitimate back, not like stewart and perkins, who are "I guess I need someone" territory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

RVProfootballer posted:

You misspelled Odell Beckham, Brandon Marshall, Sterling Shepard, and Wayne Gallman

Haha, I shouldn't have used a qualifying term like "best." Let me see if I can dig up some numbers for targets inside the 5 for the 2016 Giants, and get to the bottom of this.

Edit: Where can I get info like that? Is there a site I need to subscribe to for stats like "every new york giants play in a sortable database?"

• Locked thread