Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

turning up to centrelink appointments just to get paid, presumably as opposed to turning up to centrelink appointments due to the cheery atmosphere and enjoyable conversations you have at the centrelink offices

Doing the minimum required to get the pittance from the system designed to dehumanise and oppress you? Say it ain't so. I'm surprised it's as low as 2.5%. It's almost like nearly all of these people desperately want to work and lovely economic circumstances are driving their unemployment.

EDIT: Dehumanise yourself and face to centrelink.

hooman fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

starkebn posted:

Follow minimum rules to get Centrelink benefits: bad

Follow tax rules to avoid paying billions: nothing can be done

No what needs to be done is for the tax rate to be lowered so that these companies decide to stop minimising tax out of the goodness of their heart because they need to minimise less of it now.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GoldStandardConure posted:

So, zero tax. Right?

Too obvious, some tax with enough write downs, public funding, grants and loopholes that it is effectively zero.

Now how do we solve this problem with bad debt? Better cut welfare again.

EDIT: Obligatory "WHY DOES OUR ECONOMY KEEP SHRINKING AND WAGES KEEP STAGNATING? I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE."

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Oh my God what is the ABC doing shilling BrickX?

You're better off putting it in crypto Lmao.

'The Block'-chain?

How agile and disruptive.

Edit: like paying for your corporate tax cut by ripping money out of education and young taxpayers. Talk about intergenerational theft.

hooman fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 2, 2017

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Mr Chips posted:

I once did enrolment hand-holding at a G8 uni. A good third of the freshers didn't even have tax file numbers, and their parents just paid the fees up front. The demographics probably haven't changed much since then.

Cripes, I've only just finished clearing my HECs debt from my degree and I'm thinking of retraining.

I hope PHON and NXT don't cave (but I am pretty sure the LNP will offer them a bullshit carrot that they never intend to follow through on and they will)

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
This schools funding announcement from the libs actually seems ok.

I mean, yes it's less money than Labor's plans were but still it seems to be very light on intentionally kicking the poor. What am I missing?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Has there been any analysis that supports that?

Getting Gonski on board to actually run it seems like a pretty good move.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
It's hard to hate on something that both Mark Latham and the Catholic School system hate.

That said though, why is anyone even giving Mark Latham oxygen in the press? Like why the gently caress would anyone care what Mark Latham thinks.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian Au posted:

The survey, which analyses real cash flows against mortgage repayments, finds more than 767,000 households or 23.4% are now in mortgage stress, which means they have little or no spare cash after covering costs.

This includes 32,000 that are in severe stress, meaning they cannot cover repayments from current income.

The firm predicts that almost 52,000 households will probably default on mortgages over the next year. Risk hotspots include Meadow Springs and Canning Vale in Western Australia, Derrimut and Cranbourne in Victoria, and Mackay and Pacific Pines in Queensland.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/may/03/wealthy-feel-pinch-of-housing-costs-as-one-in-four-australians-face-mortgage-stress

So housing bubble bursting when?

Guardian AU posted:

Prof Bob Gregory from the Australian National University says the current budget’s projections show the deficit closing after 2021 thanks to personal income taxes hitting levels higher than the Costello years, and company taxes rebounding significantly.

But he warns that path to budget repair is unrealistic because the public won’t accept personal income tax rates hitting the highest level in two decades, and the government is pursuing multibillion-dollar company tax cuts anyway.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/may/03/budget-repair-plan-relies-on-big-tax-hikes-leading-economist-warns

Debt and Deficit Disaster Mistah Speakah

hooman fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 3, 2017

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The school I went to had no elevators until they admitted a dude in a wheelchair and then they built one when the realised 80% of the school was actually wheelchair inaccessible.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I like that in our country it's illegal to strike.

Wait no the other one. I loving loathe that.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ShoeFly posted:

I work for Fairfax. This is going to be a fun week.

Condolences Shoefly.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Soy milky postin'

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"Idiot Australian tries to rort foreign system and fails"
The truth behind 50% of the headlines in this country.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bogan King posted:

It would be much better if parking meters destroyed Brisbane.

Anidav posted:

I wish Brisbane destroyed parking meters too

Why not do both?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

thatbastardken posted:

man i'm getting a lot of targeted ads on facebook from GetUp about Ross Vasta lately. Would have been nice to have had this add blitz when I was, you know, trying to take his seat in parliament.

Tee hee member for boner.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Is there anything the libs can do without Tones coming in and wrecking up the joint?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
If anything it's an unintentionally scathing comment on the quality of non-union labor.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"Is treating women and minorities with respect a form of cultural hitlerism?"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

MysticalMachineGun posted:

:laffo:

Does that mean lionhat's party actually has two members now?

Yes for every definition of member.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Aesculus posted:

Greens update: Parliamentary right in NSW is now openly defying the membership's decision making and boycotting the party, instead crying to RDN and the federal right to impose top-down MP leadership control. You heard it here first. Now don't go leaking it to the arsetrayan

Holy gently caress NSW, what the christ.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Aesculus posted:

Membership will have 2/3rds the vote in... something and the MPs will have 1/3rd. I'm not sure of the specifics, but I'm told it's regarding MP activities and party room priorities/directions.

Good thing this has repeatedly worked for other parties and not ended up with institutionalisation of policy and direction and alienation of the membership....

edit:

Guardian Au posted:

The foreign affairs minister, Julie Bishop, has refused to sack Yassmin Abdel-Magied from the Council for Australian-Arab Relations – resisting calls from government conservatives, including Peter Dutton, following the controversy about Abdel-Magied’s Anzac Day comments.

So help me god, Julie "Litigate until they die" Bishop is once again the least reprehensible person in the room for the LNP.

Actually that's probably not fair to Pyne. He isn't nearly as heinous as some of the others.

hooman fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 8, 2017

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"Australian Greens Secretly Run By Nerds on Comedy Forum"
~The Australian, 2019 probably.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Sounds like we have a gay dead forum quorum.

Also the question for entry would have to be "Where does Cartoon poo poo" or "What movie franchise does Milky have very strong opinions about" or "What is taco?"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

I wonder what friendlyjordies is up to...

Oh another shilling meltdown nice.

It's a bit rich also given last time Labor was in power all the cuts to single mothers etc.

I mean I don't disagree, it's lovely from Labor but no worse than any of the other lovely things that happen constantly, and the cuts to services from the Libs are loving reprehensible. So people freaking out about one and not the other are dumb.

However friendlyjordies we can be miffed at both ey.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

"It's a picture of Mark Latham, but every time friendlyjordies melts down his face gets smaller"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

There is no sign of respite for the nation's struggling retailers, particularly department stores, as shoppers refuse to spend in the face on an uncertain economy.

The latest retail sales data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics showed a 0.1 per cent fall in March at the same time as many economists had been tipping a rise.

So now not only are people not buying houses, they aren't buying anything else either. Hmmm.

Jobs and growth?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Budgetchat:

Guardian AU posted:

The government has ruled out any action on negative gearing or capital gains tax concessions, but is reportedly considering introducing a bond aggregator to better fund community housing and allowing first home buyers to use their pre-tax income to purchase a home.

Oh good just what the overheated housing market needs, negative gearing 2: this time it's even more explicitly for the rich!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Can you explain what is meant by using ones pre-tax income to purchase a home? Am I to understand that this means I can contribute to a house savings fund/account and tax deduct it?

It's rumor and scuttlebutt at the moment. No actual details on anything until budget releases.

Just quoted the reporting direct from guardian sorry.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
ACC makes yet another strong case for being fired into the sun

Guardian AU posted:

The Australian Chamber of Commerce chief executive, James Pearson, believes a return to surplus will at least be put on the radar in the current budget, predicting a path out of deficit within the four-year forward estimates. The Coalition has previously pledged to return the budget to surplus by 2021. Pearson wants to see the budget cut red tape, address ballooning debt (gross debt is expected to reach half a trillion dollars) and focus on quality, sustainable expenditure. He wants government expenditure to be reduced to 25% of GDP.

“It’s got to be sustainable spend, it’s got to be good quality spend,” Pearson told Sky News.

“Recognise that as the workforce is getting smaller in relation to the number of people who depend on government payments ... We’ve got to make sure we don’t strangle that tax base in order to support welfare spending.”

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Being able to get a tax break on genuine savings for a house is not the shittest idea ever mooted, particularly considering the government of Australia right now. If I could bank my $500 a month or so like I do now and get tax concessions on it plus interest, I'd be pretty happy with that.

e: that's if I was saving for a house and not to take debauched holidays in third world countries.

The problem is it's no solution to housing affordability because the kind of person who would gain the best advantage from and can afford to reduce their taxable income (ie. high income) isn't the kind of person who is totally locked out of the property market (low income).

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

"The treasurer has reset the economy"

Hmmmm where have I heard this before?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/bu...57c89fe8d5df2af

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I wonder how Labor would be treated if they had a tax and spend bud..

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

In Canberra they call that "leaning".

Yeah but to them "lifting" is owning a bunch of property and rentseeking like a mofo.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
^^^ nah there's probably a portable stove in the yard.

Recoome posted:

lol that you have to do house chores when you don't even live in the house

You have to assume that "yard maintenance" would be the job of the person who lives in the yard.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, is it just a universal rule everywhere that the people who want to be in politics are the worst possible people to be in politics?

What the actual gently caress. "We're a grassroots party, lol you selected me now I'm goping to do loving whatever gently caress you."

Jesus christ.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Don Dongington posted:

We don't seem to have a great deal of trouble with our Greens MPs here in WA, just sayin'

WA best A

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

Spiteful little dog fucker

It's times like these that I kind of wish I had a twitter account purely so I could tweet:

"To the prick who hosed my dog at Marulan Maccas this morning - I hope you enjoy your dented car"

Also lol, even Chris Kenny knows the libs are going to gut medicare.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

AFR posted:

[Scott Morrison] could have brought a budget which removed red tape and regulation, and encouraged real private sector growth. Instead, this budget is about preserving totems like Medicare and locking in another $18bn in spending over a decade on an unreformed school system that does not produce results. It will entrench another Labor spending monument in the form of the National Disability Income Scheme that explodes in cost from $3bn to $20bn a year in five years’ time.

Jesus loving christ AFR.

http://www.afr.com/news/policy/budget/budget-2017-treasurer-delivers-the-wrong-budget-20170503-gvxuw9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Four Muslim women allegedly punched outside university in Sydney

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/may/11/four-muslim-women-allegedly-punched-outside-university-in-sydney

• Locked thread