Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Do tertiary education changes need to pass the Senate or can they be ~implemented via regulation~? I'm looking to go back to uni later this year and I'm feeling a little nervous

Senate, so Xenophon or PHON could torpedo it.

Also FYI it is STILL not worth paying off HECS ahead of schedule as long as they still aren't indexing it above inflation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Zenithe posted:

They are if your salary isn't indexed

They still aren't. Better off putting that money into even a TD, let alone some sort of index fund, than paying off less than 2% interest debt.

It is almost impossible to invest money and make less than HECS indexation.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

thatbastardken posted:

man i'm getting a lot of targeted ads on facebook from GetUp about Ross Vasta lately. Would have been nice to have had this add blitz when I was, you know, trying to take his seat in parliament.

That would involve GetUp doing something loving useful instead of performative progressivism

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Lid posted:

What was the decision made?

I know this was a few pages ago but if you want NSW internal Greens drama here u go:

NSW has a committee called the Parliamentary Liaison Committee. It basically exists to ensure the MPs remain accountable to the party. It meets once a month, or more often if a) the party room can't reach consensus on a position or b) there is an interpersonal issue between MPs or members of their staff.

For literally fifteen years there's been a poo poo-fight about whether the MPs have a vote on the PLC, and whether the PLC has the power to direct their vote in Parliament. Two MPs in particular, Jeremy Buckingham and Justin Field, have been contemptuous of both the PLC and the idea that the party can and should be able to tell them what to do for years. Justin in particular openly mocks the concept that the party can direct him and that "his accountability to the party is preselection." Recall that in NSW upper house members are preselected every eight years.

Any effort to resolve this deadlock has been stonewalled by right-wing shitbags - Cate Faehrmann before Jeremy and Justin, Ian Cohen before her. It has been referred to the State Council roughly a dozen times and they finally got around to it last weekend, where the State Council voted 80/20 that the MPs do have a vote, but their combined vote will never be worth more than twice the vote of the rank and file reps on the PLC. With six reps and eight MPs, that means each rep is now worth roughly 3 votes.

Justin, Jeremy, Dawn Walker (the one who stole Richmond and Grayndler Federal campaign data for her preselection campaign) and Tamara Smith (MP for Ballina, lies about meeting stakeholders as part of her portfolio duties) have declared that they believe weighted votes are unconstitutional, that they reject the decision of the State Council (the highest decision-making body of the Greens NSW) and they will be withdrawing from participation in the PLC indefinitely.

They've essentially declared themselves to be independents.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
Also worth noting 74% of the State Council diagreed with MPs having a vote at all, but decisions need 75% supermajority in the Greens to happen

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
At least it's not other states where the deadlock over MP accountability was handily solved by just not having any, lol

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

starkebn posted:

How do you make them accountable though? All I can see is threat of disendorsing them, and that's poo poo for the party.

I want the Committee of Management (state exec sort of) to bar them from attending party room meetings and strip them of their media rights and portfolio responsibilities for the duration.

Ultimately yes, it's underpinned by the threat of disendorsement. It's poo poo for the party but not as poo poo as having these muppets representing us in public.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

hooman posted:

Holy poo poo, is it just a universal rule everywhere that the people who want to be in politics are the worst possible people to be in politics?

What the actual gently caress. "We're a grassroots party, lol you selected me now I'm goping to do loving whatever gently caress you."

Jesus christ.

It's the inevitable result of the Greens becoming large enough that "Greens MP" is a legitimately plausible career track. Justin Field is the most oleaginous careerist hack you can possibly imagine, the ambition oozes off him. NSW has particular issues with it because of the size and relative ease of election to our Legislative Council, and also the fact that Byron Bay exists and is full of the worst people imaginable

Don Dongington posted:

We don't seem to have a great deal of trouble with our Greens MPs here in WA, just sayin'

There's a few reasons for this (although I will say there have been a few issues with WA MPs ignoring policy decisions). NSW local group autonomy is an issue where a lot of the State Council reps are "representing" local groups that are controlled by a small clique of office bearers all factionally aligned to a particular Parliamentary office, which totally fucks SDC decision-making. WA's branches have more state office oversight. It's also a lot harder to get MPs elected, you get less state resources to do it (NSW has the most lucrative state election funding system in the country). There's also the problem where NSW has no particular locus of power, which is great for decentralised decision-making but terrible in terms of having a party body with more power than the party room - WA has the state exec, NSW has three committees which between them are almost a state exec. Also there's the ticket election system - since we elect two or sometimes three MLCs at a go, there's a possibility for substantial political difference between them, where in WA each of your MPs was the head of a different ticket, which means they're more likely to trend roughly to the centre of the state's political alignment.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

JBP posted:

Very impressed that greens thought political mechanics wouldn't get in there and let er rip.

"But that wouldn't happen to us, we're the Greens, we're different!"

actual quote I've heard from a Green, it's like they think the ALP have always been poo poo and didn't start out as a progressive movement with the best of intentions

nyerf posted:

A question for those more versed in parliamentary speak: if a bill's status is "not proceeding" and it's been "discharged from notice paper" does that mean it's dead?

I believe so yes

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
fun fact literally the only anti-stacking mechanisms that exist in the NSW Greens are a) a three-month wait until you can vote on a preselection and b) the ability of the state council to declare a preselection void, and last preselection the right were so desperate to push through their cheating shitlord of a candidate who won by 13 stolen votes that they argued against b) entirely.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
Just FYI on the schools thing Sarah Hanson-Young is a gigantic idiot and going rogue

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

NTRabbit posted:

I wonder which self absorbed, power hungry, unhinged sack of poo poo the top of the Greens ticket is helping to drag the SA vote down?

TBF it's mostly Nick Xenophon, but I shan't be shedding any tears when SHY is sent packing and has got get a real job for the first time in her life

DancingShade posted:

Except for the ones in AusPol of course. Being a goon is probably the best training any of them could hope for.
Compare the conduct in Parliament to what you see on SA and we're practically angelic.

I got in trouble for telling an opposing Councillor to kill them are selves so I wouldn't say the best training

(i did not actually do this)

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

foolish_fool posted:

Why join the greens if you want to climb the political ladder...

For a while it looked like top spot in most states was an almost guaranteed seat in the Senate for six years. That brings the careerists out. The NSW Party Room is infested with them now, it's like wood lice.
[/quote]

foolish_fool posted:

It sucks if this is the case as she always seemed to do a great job on immigration despite all the inherent challenges.

Immigration is (or should be) a free kick for a Greens MP. It's like Education (another portfolio she's hosed up) in that you literally don't have to do much more than say the right things and you retain two solid Greens voter bases. Nick McKim has done a better job in months than she has in years, and I'm not one to engage in too much effusive praise of McKim.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

It's me, I'm the guy asking why the Speaker of the House didn't eject a Senator

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

DancingShade posted:

Labor are just as crooked as the LNP, they're just less efficient at it.

Remember NSW ICAC was brought in by Nick Greiner to try and nab members of the previous Labor government and he subsequently got done by ICAC

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Dad?

I swear when he shuffles off they'll stop making Reschs.

Not on tap at the pub, but the RSL has it.

There was one Resch's drinker at the pub I used to work at, he looked exactly how you'd expect

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Remember Constance is the guy who tried to poo poo-talk people who wanted a wind turbine at Newcastle port because if they were so worried about dust from the coal trains why did they want a big fan blowing coal dust from the port all down the coast

He's notably stupid even for the average Liberal minister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Don't stop I'm almost there

Banker suffering mmmm

• Locked thread