Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
The May Day march was really good in Brisbane. If you were there, I was part of the abortion rights crew.

Made sure to shout extra loud at the SDA peeps before joining the march

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

HOT LEAKS: My grandparents have made the ISIS salute when they win at lawn bowls

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Bogan King posted:

For some light hearted comedy in the interlude I present

https://twitter.com/theboltreport/status/847367739752693760

Where's the joke

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

My VC was actually very supportive of students. I feel like uni students in the Group 8 unis are hosed though

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

we should only gently caress half the poor, because that is the balanced option between loving all the poors and loving none of them

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Hearing reports that anti-semitic flyers were posted aroun UQ today, same group that got kicked out of USyd. One SAlt dude reckons it was the same guy out of the USyd video, but I think that it's super unlikely

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah nah, I wouldn't even be surprised if it's not even the same group. Just some edgy loving Nazi who saw the USyd video and wanted to make the right look more cohesive by using the same propganda.

They are at least distributing the same leaflets. It hasn't happened at the other two Brisbane uni's as far as I'm aware. The leaflet dropping happened during daylight hours but there's not a super strong left-wing sentiment at UQ so thats probably why it wasn't challenged

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

malk

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

better rev up the hate machines at coconut milk

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

imagine being a person who drinks cows milk and then gets confused about what cows milk actually is

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Anidav posted:

You just put your nuts in the nut sack and milk your nuts and drink it.

It's simple and delicious and a cheap source of nourishment.

that is FALSE ADVERTISING

where is the UDDERS??

How can I milk a COW using that???

You are killing my environmentally-destructive industry!!!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

don't they add calcium to cows milk anyway? Like I'm vegetarian so I still drink it but I'm pretty sure that at least some of that "nutritional" aspect of milk is actually put into the product

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

This'll be a day long remembered for President Trumble

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I like Safran but it is extremely easy to stand on the side and say that both sides are bad when you aren't at all invested in the struggle (should non-white people exist at all?)

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Actually still will be gambling ads during racing

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Speaking about Jesus

quote:

All of this has not gone down well with the conservative clergy. Glen Tattersall, a Melbourne priest and a member of the Australian Confraternity of Catholic Clergy, says Sullivan is cynically using the issue of child abuse to push his liberal agenda. “It’s really the liberal-minded and their fellow travellers who have been wrecking the church over a number of years and we’re just going to get more of the same,” says Tattersall. “In a way, ­Francis Sullivan strikes me as a kind of wannabe bishop, a lay bishop.”

The revelations of widespread child abuse exposed by the royal commission have largely been a hatchet job on the church, Tattersall ­contends. “I think people are quite angry about the way the church has been dealt with, actually,” he says. “They consider this has been pretty much a set-up.” Does he feel any guilt for the abuse that has taken place? “No, why should we be ashamed about something we didn’t do?”

Tattersall blames liberals within the church and homosexuals for the church’s woes. “If you’re saying, ‘Let’s have an all libertarian view to sexuality’ well then of course you’re going to get issues like this. Those who are more conservatively inclined, they’re the ones who are going to uphold the church’s teachings in this area.

“There are many people who are saying we need to lighten up about same-sex marriage, and same-sex relationships generally, and yet they’re railing against sexual abuse – that’s sexual abuse, isn’t it?” he insists. “If there’s a relationship between a priest and a boy in his late teens, how is it sexual abuse when a person is 16 or 17 and then it’s a wonderful relationship when you’re 19? I mean, it’s ridiculous.

“I think what’s been missed out in all of this is the link between homosexuality and abuse… Now, on the one hand, you have a situation where he [Sullivan] is promoting a loose sexuality and on the other hand he’s railing against sexual abuse. Well, to me that makes absolutely no sense; it’s contradictory.”

If Sullivan doesn’t like the Catholic Church the way it is, he should leave, Tattersall says, ­adding that there’s a church for married clergy and women in positions of power: “It’s called Anglicanism.” Does he think Sullivan is dangerous? “Put it this way, I don’t think he enjoys the confidence of the best priests in Australia… He strikes me as a typical post-Vatican-II bureaucrat. He’s paid a big salary, no doubt, and he’s going to push us all about. And he’s got his own ideas about what Catholicism is and it’s not helping the victims of sexual abuse. How’s it helping them?”

quote:

Broadcaster and prominent Catholic Geraldine Doogue says the abuse revelations made many Catholics feel like good Germans did after World War II. “They looked around and they could see the catastrophe that had occurred. They may not have believed they had any role in it, but the point is they were still German.”

She agrees with many of the things Sullivan is trying to achieve and says he is “utterly honourable”. But she thinks he should be telling a broader story. “The church in Australia is the greatest ­supplier of social welfare outside the ­government… I think Francis has decided that he can’t say anything good. It’s a tactic in my opinion. I applaud it [what he’s trying to achieve], but I don’t think it’s the whole story of the Catholic Church.”

Hmmmmm

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

As opposed to being the party which campaigned on saving the reef but instead allowed the mine to go ahead??

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Lid posted:

There is no sign of respite for the nation's struggling retailers, particularly department stores, as shoppers refuse to spend in the face on an uncertain economy.

The latest retail sales data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics showed a 0.1 per cent fall in March at the same time as many economists had been tipping a rise.

So now not only are people not buying houses, they aren't buying anything else either. Hmmm.

Thank gently caress the adults are back in charge

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

tithin posted:

I can't remember why I started writing this, but it's a bit cathartic tbh

its very good, thank you

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Yeah this is hosed and I really hope this leads to some meaningful activism (not holding my breath lmao, who cares about us poors)

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Amazing how quickly some low/middle-class peeps come out swinging for the drug-testing of Centrelink recipients. Like lmao if you think its going to stop the "bludgers" or whatever, must be amazing to have the temporarily embarrassed millionaire mindset

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

lol that you have to do house chores when you don't even live in the house

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Looks like VicPol peppersprayed some students protesting ScoMo today

whats with VicPol and using that shi all the time????

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

remember baby boomers started off small with a one bedroom flat paying 17 percent interest on the mortgage, and didnt overindulge with high life style of travel , , latest gadgets, entertainment, their entertainment was participating in local sports , community volunteer activities and the occasional cinema outing, they were savers not spenders. waited for car ownership and didnt waste money on the biggest and best .if had a bigger house or flat, they rented out a room to a lodger to help pay mortgage at 17 percent interest. they went without and worked hard in paid employment even if it was the jobs that alot of current centrelink recipients dont want. and paid taxes to prop up non contribuitng people. and didnt waste money on non productive and unhealthy vices... everything is relative, the system has just shifted lifestyle choices. and the governement probably may think that the baby boomers will donate their legacy to their offspring, so they wont be homeless. as they dont want to donate it to the government and nursing home is probably the next agenda of the government to take that away. alot of baby boomers have suffered too in other ways that are not seen.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

meant to print "NAGGER"

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Speaking about how poo poo NSW is, here's a cool analysis about the new NAPLAN component of the HSC.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I think there's a lot of problems with the interpretation and use of the results of the tests. I think testing kids is okay as long as its done properly, but I'd rather that the testing not actually take place if it can't be done properly.

Maybe its because I have this bias against Education peeps or something but man I got ~lectured~ on the use of psychological tests by some 3rd/4th year Ed student at uni a week or so ago. Truly some amazing levels of the Dunning-Kruger effect

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

It was some confused "psychological tests are all bad" and also "we can use a test and find out $thing about the child", which I kind of take issue with because it's all bout the interpretation of the scores, and also understanding what you really can/can't use the test for.

Like I'm sure that Ed students learn about testing but idk hey, anyone can give someone else a test but thats not really what we are arguing about

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

open24hours posted:

They're not taking away bridging courses or mature age entry are they?

I think you may be missing the point

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

BCR posted:

Hi all,

I've got an international student who's had a death in the family, and has taken it hard, what with being away from home and not able to attend the funeral. They're in Sydney, and I don't know the mental health support for NSW, and beyond messages I can't be there to help out.

Besides going through her university international student support system which may or may not be crap. What other free resources are they that they can use?

I've got

Mental Health Line - Phone 1800 011 511 and something called http://www.nalag.org.au

I don't think shes in danger of suicide, and don't know if Lifeline is appropriate.

Cheers all

If they are an international student at a ~reputable university~ with a school of psychology, then they will probably have access to a psychology clinic at an extremely reduced/no cost AND they get access to basically gold-standard psychological services. Additionally, Lifeline is always a great resource and it's constantly staffed, quality may vary.

Gotta also remember that feeling poo poo after a death is extremely expected/normal so connecting someone with support services is good, its also probably just a good idea to ensure that you are there for them and chatting regularly, and hopefully their own support network will kick in soon.

Good luck (hope they are okay)

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I am a big fan of the quantitative evidence here "smashing" the myth lmao

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Well I'd argue that we are spending less on everything else because we can't afford to, whereas people in 1989 had more disposable income?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I like how some sportsperson gets a state funeral or something

like who is this person even again?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Simon Bermingham on ABC talking about how there's only a handful of uni students protesting

ughhhhhh it could be that we are really loving busy right now. I'd love to be protesting today but I am snowed under with an assignment

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

Lou Richards was a really big deal for people who enjoyed the prime of their life from 1945 through 1985. He did a lot to professionalise and grow AFL. He is a popular public figure and something of a Victorian icon.

State funerals are held for people who are deemed to be of public significance so that the public can attend their funeral. A lot of people are going to miss Lou Richards and hold that he offered a significant contribution to Australian life.

crypto-boomer spotted

crank up the guillotine boys

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

But did Lou Richards urine in his own mouth?????

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

I sometimes let avocados go bad in my fruit bowl because I am literally Emperor Gaius Caligula irl.

Borgie status: Letting my avocados go bad to stick it to those millenials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

That happens everywhere. People are dickheads.

I was riding my motorbike one day and a man attempted to strike me with his car because I dared to filter past him at a set of lights. I don't drive or motor/push-bike unless I absolutely have to after 7 years of driving for >5 hours every day. People are hosed up.

I'm actually glad you are okay, drivers are the legit worst and I ride a motorcycle and push bike and it's loving scary sometimes

• Locked thread