Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

gently caress

like I knew I'd need to start paying HECS next year when I finish my grad year and get promoted (which I don't mind doing considering my degrees got me into a great job) but it'd be super awesome if the HECS increase didn't entirely negate the pay increase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

I like how they complain about capital gains tax, meaning they made a profit on the sale of the house :allears:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Dude McAwesome posted:

What's the part about the Centrelink form? idgi

They're disgusted because their tenants were receiving welfare?

They had been under the impression the tenants were professionals I think? And either the tenants had lied about that or were applying for backpaid rent assistance that they weren't entitled to? It's not clear as the article isn't very well written

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Lid posted:

There is no sign of respite for the nation's struggling retailers, particularly department stores, as shoppers refuse to spend in the face on an uncertain economy.

The latest retail sales data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics showed a 0.1 per cent fall in March at the same time as many economists had been tipping a rise.

So now not only are people not buying houses, they aren't buying anything else either. Hmmm.

Good thing we can lower interest rates to encourage people to spend!

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

JBP posted:

Being able to get a tax break on genuine savings for a house is not the shittest idea ever mooted, particularly considering the government of Australia right now. If I could bank my $500 a month or so like I do now and get tax concessions on it plus interest, I'd be pretty happy with that.

e: that's if I was saving for a house and not to take debauched holidays in third world countries.

agreed, but something tells me there'll be a catch, because why wouldn't you just salary sacrifice enough first home savings to take you down a tax bracket and profit hardcore on that?

hooman posted:

The problem is it's no solution to housing affordability because the kind of person who would gain the best advantage from and can afford to reduce their taxable income (ie. high income) isn't the kind of person who is totally locked out of the property market (low income).

yeah

also the catch is that it'd increase demand and make prices inflate EVEN FURTHER

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Dude McAwesome posted:

Enjoy your front page spread, leaner.

sorry, the only spread I pay any attention to is nutella

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Solemn Sloth posted:

Cool can we mash Dutton for incitement to violence now

He'd make a decent shepherd's pie

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

MysticalMachineGun posted:

How would they even determine such a thing?

the same way they determine anything at centrelink, usually with an assumption that works against the applicant.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Jobseekers shouldn't be allowed to spend their money on anything that doesn't directly help them to get a job.

All clothes bought must be work-appropriate. No cigarettes. All food is now in the form of a nutritionally complete paste. Jobseekers will be weighed upon application. Overweight jobseekers will be sent to a fat camp because studies show being overweight negatively impacts your chance of getting employment.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Arbeit Macht Frei

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Brown Paper Bag posted:

So Morrison just clarified the true cost of the company tax cut.

$65.4B

:allears:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Brown Paper Bag posted:

So Morrison just clarified the true cost of the company tax cut.

$65.4B

please let this be on record somewhere

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Birdstrike posted:

question time

actually useful for something today

:getin:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Don Dongington posted:

If you'd just stop eating so much avocado,

the cafe industry would go broke and hundreds of jobs would be lost, not to mention the impact on mum-and-dad small business owners

the answer is clearly to get a better paying job and buy your house AND smashed avo

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Bogan King posted:

So not only are they going to offshore the profits so Australia won't see tax dollars from that Queensland is also giving them a break on anything else that could possibly generate revenue for the state / country. You may as well have Newman back you loving idiots - at least we could laugh at how ham fisted an idiot he was.

b-but the jobs!

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Chadzok posted:

Isn't it literally illegal to discriminate against breastfeeding women?

Under the federal Sex Discrimination Act 1984 it is illegal in Australia to discriminate against a person either directly or indirectly on the grounds of breastfeeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Starshark posted:

Don't worry, they'll build levees - paid for by scrapping Centrelink payments.

So it'll be a levee levy?

• Locked thread